Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trevor Deely case - new witness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

HAs there been any news on that Icelandic man who went missing ?
    that was another bizarre case ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

Was he waiting in the office to meet somebody in 30 minutes time?

It’s a thought.

Was he making notes for things to do so other people taking over his job would know what to do?

Two thoughts I had today.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

HAs there been any news on that Icelandic man who went missing ?
    that was another bizarre case ...

Even in 2019 with all the cameras around they couldnt trace that mans steps more than a couple of hundred metres up the road from the hotel he was staying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Even in 2019 with all the cameras around they couldnt trace that mans steps more than a couple of hundred metres up the road from the hotel he was staying.

Yes I think there is far ess info on that one. Really looks he just vanished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Coconut12 wrote: »

From that article:
    Could Trevor have been murdered by muggers who made his body disappear by hiding it in a skip or big bin or by some other method?

I don't know what Eastmoreland and Baggot Lane were like in 2000 but google maps street view show some dumpsters at the back of businesses. It's an utterly grim thought that a body could be disposed of in a dumpster which was then collected the following day and noone noticed A few years ago a man in England disappeared after a night out and the police reckon he climbed into a dumpster which was collected the following day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

tdf7187 wrote: »
    There is simply no evidence whatever that Trevor committed suicide. Literally none. While some of the theories about Trevor being subject to some kind of pressure from criminals due to his job are fanciful, they are less fanciful that the suicide theory, as far as I can see.

My post wasn't to say if he did or didn't. It was to point out, that sadly these decisions can be taken in seconds and acted upon.

There is no evidence TD committed suicide but the fact the he was talking to colleagues about seeing them at a later stage is not evidence to say that he didn't either. He could have committed suicide and left no evidence given the circumstances.

Again, don't want/intend to be having a debate about whether he did or didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

No it’s not, spar is 30 seconds from him in the cctv

Which spar do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Fiftyfilthy

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Which spar do you mean?

The one few metres down from the junction of Baggot st , Haddington Road abd and Mespil road , opposite the old hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The only water link to the sea is the Dodder at Ballsbridge. A body could be washed out to sea in heavy winter tides

• Registered Users Posts: 15,353 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The one few metres down from the junction of Baggot st , Haddington Road abd and Mespil road , opposite the old hospital

Would it have been open at 4am?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

oneilla wrote: »
    The Ponta Six videos were made by filmmakers David Lester Mooney and Mark Kilbride. They were posted on broadsheet.ie in 2017 shortly after the enhanced footage was released. They spotted an inaccuracy in the Donal MacIntyre documentary where the voice over describes Trevor having encountered the mystery man in black when he leaves while on screen is a still of Trevor's colleague at the gate and the mystery man is still there. This was all cleared up when the Guards confirmed that two colleagues from the party also went back to the office to retrieve a bag.
    Thanks for clarifying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Edgware wrote: »
    The only water link to the sea is the Dodder at Ballsbridge. A body could be washed out to sea in heavy winter tides

There’s a bridge further down by Marion College, where the Dodder widens slightly. Infact, if he was walking home via Haddington, then that likely the bridge he’d have crossed to get to his apartment on Serpintene... although we don’t know if he made it that far

I know this part of the world inside out, I’m born and raised and still live here! Drove past Wilton on the way home barely 15 mins ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Theres no way he fell into the dodder. If its was the dodder the 2 bridges mentioned are 2 big fat bridges with big things called roads going over them.
    The canal yeah sure but he would have been found.
    He could have jumped in the dodder alright but if i was going to kill myself that way id go out to the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Its impossible to predict all the different scenarios of a body hitting water.

Suicide cant be ruled out but you'd have to take AGS on face value when they say new witnesses have come forward. I'll be honest though. The new witness would hold more water with me if they were in it for the money. If that was their motivation. I feel that the new witness knew their info was fake or bad and knew they wouldnt get the money anyway. They might have had an alterior motive to have that plot in chaplelizard searched.

There's few better motivating tools than a big pot of money. Id have thought when they said they werent interested in the cash it might have set alarm bells off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Theres no way he fell into the dodder. If its was the dodder the 2 bridges mentioned are 2 big fat bridges with big things called roads going over them.
    The canal yeah sure but he would have been found.
    He could have jumped in the dodder alright but if i was going to kill myself that way id go out to the sea.

Bodies have been found in the Dodder with no evidence of foul play. Most reasonably sized bodies of water near large populations will occasionally have bodies show up even when it appears to be perfectly safe.
    Some people on here believe a body could be swept from the Dodder all the way to the sea. I can't find any evidence of that happening though.

tuxy wrote: »
    Bodies have been found in the Dodder with no evidence of foul play.
    Some people on here believe a body could be swept from the Dodder all the way to the sea. I can't find any evidence of that happening though.

Yeah but the suggestion is he fell in on his way home,therefore on the bridge crossings. The dodder is a long river so bodies that are found could have gone in anywhere along it, by accident or not.
    They of course could be swept out to sea also as it can get quite swollen.

As for the canal not a chance.

I thought the river was actually quite high that night?

But again the suggestion he fell in is mad as for reasons above. I think!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

PARlance wrote: »
    My father (rural shopkeeper) was the last person to talk a guy who committed suicide, a local man, who I knew myself going up.

He called into the shop, had a chat, bought the usual milk bread and paper, discussed going to an upcoming match and off he went on his bike. Nothing unusual. He cycled about half a mile and hung himself underneath a bridge. Groceries were just left there, so they knew to talk to my father.

Nobody knows what goes through a person's mind but suicides don't need to be planned out. That man made up his mind somewhere on the half a mile cycle.

That's so very very sad.

Would that have been behind him by the time we see him go past Bank /Milano’s? It would surely have had CCTV (?) and he’s not on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

sugarman wrote: »
    Plus, the Dodder even at this time of year is barley ankle deep at those parts. I was only looking over the bridge at it the other day.

The guards said it themselves when they searched it, that they walked it and didnt need wetsuits or anything at the time.

The Dodder can rise quite high during significant rainfall. It’ll run high for awhile after but will come back down.

The search wouldn’t have started until 4 or 5 days after the night in question so the water level may have dropped by that time.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

The Dodder can rise quite high during significant rainfall. It’ll run high for awhile after but will come back down.

The search wouldn’t have started until 4 or 5 days after the night in question so the water level may have dropped by that time.

This is absolutely true: a river famous for flooding in spate after heavy rainfall.
    Case in point: just try to insure a riverside house in Irishtown against flooding. Or Ballsbridge or Milltown. They've all been flooded by that deceptive, ankle-deep little river!

Once I let my dog get into the water from Beatty's Avenue, the laneway that runs from Ballsbridge downstream along the riverbank.
    Dog loved to swim, bounced into the shallow Dodder after a stick. Swept downstream, couldn't get ashore. Under the railway bridge as I ran after her...finally got her aground just beside Marian College.
    This was on a fine summer day, too.
    Never underestimate the Dodder!

However I seriously doubt if Trevor Deely would have climbed down that wall just to eg, have a quick pee. It's not that easy for a person to access, and on a dark, windy, wet night? Unlikely in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

That area was full of all sorts of strange characters at night. I was living in landsowne rd area and would walk home from town most weekends full of beer.
    One night I got propositioned on the canal by what I thought was a streetwalker and told her I hadn't the money. She said she just wanted to get laid. Her boyfriend was home and they both were high, which resulted in her having high libido and him none and he wanted to watch her having sex with someone else.
    They lived in a nice, plush place. He was an obvious heroin user and probably a dealer and her an office girl.
    If I had never come out of that house alive that night for any reason, most likely they would have never been caught. I'd be gone without a trace. My family would be defending my character and I'd most likely have been put down as having ended up in the water somewhere and swept out.
    It's possible that whatever has happened to trevor has never been thought of yet.

That area was full of all sorts of strange characters at night. I was living in landsowne rd area and would walk home from town most weekends full of beer.
    One night I got propositioned on the canal by what I thought was a streetwalker and told her I hadn't the money. She said she just wanted to get laid. Her boyfriend was home and they both were high, which resulted in her having high libido and him none and he wanted to watch her having sex with someone else.
    They lived in a nice, plush place. He was an obvious heroin user and probably a dealer and her an office girl.
    If I had never come out of that house alive that night for any reason, most likely they would have never been caught. I'd be gone without a trace. My family would be defending my character and I'd most likely have been put down as having ended up in the water somewhere and swept out.
    It's possible that whatever has happened to trevor has never been thought of yet.

I’m assuming you reported this in confidence to the police?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

All jokes aside, did you ever tell this story to the Garda investing this case. Such peculiar going’s on in that area at that time may be a lead for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Day Lewin wrote: »
    This is absolutely true: a river famous for flooding in spate after heavy rainfall.
    Case in point: just try to insure a riverside house in Irishtown against flooding. Or Ballsbridge or Milltown. They've all been flooded by that deceptive, ankle-deep little river!

Once I let my dog get into the water from Beatty's Avenue, the laneway that runs from Ballsbridge downstream along the riverbank.
    Dog loved to swim, bounced into the shallow Dodder after a stick. Swept downstream, couldn't get ashore. Under the railway bridge as I ran after her...finally got her aground just beside Marian College.
    This was on a fine summer day, too.
    Never underestimate the Dodder!

However I seriously doubt if Trevor Deely would have climbed down that wall just to eg, have a quick pee. It's not that easy for a person to access, and on a dark, windy, wet night? Unlikely in my view.

I lived in Lansdowne Village for 3 years and would use Beatty's Avenue very frequently, the Dodder can indeed turn very quickly and very violet with rainfall. And as you say, even when danger doesn't seem to be there, water is dangerous full stop.

Hope they've put some lighting on that lane and the section under the dart line especially. Even in my 20's (at the time) and often filled with bravery from a few pints on the return leg... it was a very nervy walk home on a dark winter's evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Locker10a wrote: »
    All jokes aside, did you ever tell this story to the Garda investing this case. Such peculiar going’s on in that area at that time may be a lead for them.

It was several years after the disappearance I think

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

It was several years after the disappearance I think

How many are several ? Do you think that type of thing might have been going on earlier ? And it could be a possibility something like this would be useful to the investigating team ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

10 minutes between TD leaving his office and MIB following him in the last footage

What happened in that 10 minutes?

I thought it was a few seconds apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

MrAbyss wrote: »
    Not for a minute have I ever believed this was a casual - 'wrong time wrong place murder - that is just not what happens. Gangland killers are not impulsive types.

Something else happened. Who knows.

I could link you many articles of youngfellas been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I know many it happened to.

• Advertisement

MIB never came forward and I think that says a lot. This case was all over the media and pictures of Trevor everywhere. Footage as well.

Can’t think of any reason for him not to come forward unless he died around the time himself or something unlikely. Or obviously if he was involved.

But if he is involved, not so sure that counts as a chance encounter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement