Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Atiyah Sunday - Monday, 8th - 9th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Starting to really pick up in Arklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Windy in Galway but still not passing 60mph gusts we had earlier with heavy showers

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭rainyrun

Strong scary gusts in Boyle Roscommon especially in the last half hour.

Can't decide between going to bed and staying up. I really dont like the creaking sound coming from my west facing floor to ceiling living room window.

(South Dublin)

Very bad here now in Castlebar. In an exposed spot, anything not tied down is gone. Bins went over an hour ago, cant even see them anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Very strong gust just hit the house in cork city as the rain arrives, getting more consistent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Starting to really pick up in Arklow.

Gusting 65kmh in Arklow currently WSW
    Barometer rising 991.3 atm

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

NIMAN wrote: »
    So do you think I should put a brick on top of the recycling bin?

Nope. When the lid blows you'll have a 120kmh brick missile!

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Very lively now in Limerick.... worst storm in a while in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Gusting 65kmh in Arklow currently WSW
    Barometer rising 991.3 atm

The whistle down the chimney is my gauge of the wind strength.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Power just gone here in Achill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Anyone heard any reports of funnel cloud activity ? The reason I ask is something went through the bottom of the garden 20 mins ago which was very loud and high pitched, it took 15 seconds to get through the garden and I could hear it as it went down the mountainside. It was most likely some kind of vortex as we are high up, and theres lots of rock around. Still as bad as its been, I think the mountains shielded this part of Kerry from the earlier effects, even down at the beach it was not too bad, but then this slight shift to NW seems to make a huge difference.

600 FT asl - McGillycuddy Reeks - Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Grand day here on kk/ laois/ Carlow border. Windy and wet a bit, but nothing bad, even had sunshine today. Went to our Santa visit in the woods, again grand, nothing out of the ordinary weather wise. Dunno if it’s gonna pickup overnight but I don’t really care, we’re inside, safe and snug.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Definitely the strongest gusts of the whole event here at the moment just east of Castlebar. Has become fairly wild out there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That, and the slightly ominous rattle on the roof above my bedroom are mine.....

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Barely a breeze in N. Donegal. Did I read now it would be around 1am?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭pad199207

Wind really picking up in Kildare now

Ah I have a 30ft tower reporting to the laptop
    Rather it than me out there
    Probably stronger gusts in the next 2hrs hereabouts
    Last night actually just after midnight in a squal there was a gust of 90.7kmh
    I'm doubtful tonight will exceed that but it might if combined with a shower

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

NIMAN wrote: »
    So do you think I should put a brick on top of the recycling bin?

In many cases, the front of the bins will fit snuggly under a rear of house window sill. - certainly in the last 3 places I have lived.

A bale of briquettes or a bag of coal.

A brick might be too light in areas of high gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Lissavane wrote: »
    ESB Powercheck is always a good indication of storm damage https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

We look to have been very lucky in South Mayo. We are in the only sector from west to east that has no outages in that map

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I guess it's over down South the big fleet of Trawlers that were sheltering in Castletownbere are heading to sea again good indication

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Banner2theend

On a separate note, may I applaud the mods here on the weather forum tonight. They have very quickly and decisively eliminated any posts that involve trolling or mocking of Storm Atiyah. This is the first time tonight that I have posted on this particular part of boards.ie.

This is a very bad storm and imo is worse than Storm Hannah and Lorenzo. I commend the mods for being such pro-active and doing such a great job. I am a huge weather follower and I look forward to posting again, in what appears to be one of the more well-run threads on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Wild and windy here the last two hours, still gusty but I'm hoping it's easing off.

South Sligo
    90m ASL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭aidanodr

https://twitter.com/MunsterStorm/status/1203802025152204801

More to come this week?

D'Express in UK mentioning weather bombs and storm Brendan .. very reliable is D'Exprezz :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Gust of 65 knots at Mace Head, 61 kts at Newport, 58 at Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Wind picking up a bit in Kilkenny town but nothing too out of the ordinary. Yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

11pm

Mace head gusting 65 knots(120km/h)
    Newport 61 knots.
    Shannon 58 knots.

(After a rough 2 hours or so here in Castlebar its starting to ease slightly and will ease quickly after 1am)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Wild as I've seen in a few years here outside Newport. Between 9pm and 10:30pm there was some sustained powerful gusts with little break between. Personal weather station maxed out at 130km, probably not 100% accurate but certainly well above 100km for it to max out.
    Seems to have eased off in the last 45 mins or so with just the odd strong gust.

Hope your safe and well Graces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Some huge gusts out there still. Something knocked over out there but not leaving warmth of bed to check...Still have leccy tho
    North Cork.

Advertisement