Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Hibernia

protestant-st-patricks-day.jpg

Albion & Hibernia

1d4657225d3e68bc7abdaacd9da1f47a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Got ' All over the map ' a great (coffee table) book full of various interesting maps.

This looks possibly early Norman, I stand to be corrected.

anc-all-eire.jpg

Cill Mhantáin

county-wicklow-antique-map-for-lewis-by-dower.-ireland-1846-old-362904-p.jpg

• Advertisement

Confederacy Rebellion of 1641 - 11 years war.

confederate-wars-map.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

humberklog wrote: »
    Are you sure they weren't saying "Three Guys" and not Tesco?

Fairly sure the Tesco name only came into Ireland in '97 but Crazy Prices (Quinnsworth) took over the Three Guys shops and they were still commonly referred to as that or Gubays.*

HWilliams took over Three Guys first but that didn't last long.

There were a few Tesco shops in Ireland in the 70s and 80s. One was in Westside in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

There were a few Tesco shops in Ireland in the 70s and 80s. One was in Westside in Galway.

Thanks!

That extra piece of info led me to find this:

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/threads/supermarkets-of-times-past.1373113/

https://www.emerald.com/insight/content/doi/10.1108/eb018304/full/html?skipTracking=true

Seems they bought 3Guys in 1979 and left in 1986. Phew.

I was very surprised to learn that there was once a Tesco in Westside (It's now a Dunne's), but everyone who lived in Galway in those years could remember it.

I was very surprised to learn that there was once a Tesco in Westside (It's now a Dunne's), but everyone who lived in Galway in those years could remember it.

Yeah. I'm too young to have ever seen the original Tesco in Ballyer as I was only 2 when they left, but it was always just referred to as Tesco even when Quinnsworth was there. It was still referred to as Quinnsworth when it changed to Crazy Prices and when Tesco Ireland came in. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm assuming a lot on here have been keeping up with the antics across the pond and as such have become rather au fait with the composition of counties in some states.

So with that I'd thought I would share an anomaly that ha annoyed me for a while.

Iowa

Iowa has 99 counties.

Now some of you might be all, "so what?", and that would be fair I guess, but it's only when you look at a map of Iowa that you see the annoying thing about why there are 99 counties...

iowa-county-map.gif

See it...?

Fifth county in from the left...

kossuth.gif

Yeah, Kossuth County. Gah.

There was in fact a 100th county called Crocker County (1870-1871).
    Wikipedia wrote:
    In 1870, the Iowa General Assembly created Crocker County from the northern part of Kossuth County. The county seat was located at Greenwood, Iowa. In December 1871, the Iowa Supreme Court declared the act creating this county a violation of the constitution, which in article eleven declares that no new county shall be created which contains less than 432 square miles. As Crocker County was smaller than the law allowed for, it ceased to exist from and after the rendition of that decision and the twelve townships in its territory reverted to Kossuth County

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_counties_in_Iowa

So there ya go.

Iowa_1905_Census_Map_Indian_Terr_Accessions.jpg

history-education-pss-removal-indianterritory-source.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ZengTEC.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,154 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    You can see why traveling west to california was such a big deal

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    The other options where to cut across Panama. Except it wasn't Panama. And there wasn't a canal.

Or rounding the horn. Sailing through some of the worst weather at the bottom of south America.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The other options where to cut across Panama. Except it wasn't Panama. And there wasn't a canal.

Or rounding the horn. Sailing through some of the worst weather at the bottom of south America.

Interesting. Is that why there was a "wild west"?
    Did the native population seek refuge there?

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Interesting. Is that why there was a "wild west"?
    Did the native population seek refuge there?
    "To hell or to Connaught"

native-american-land__.0.0.gif

Only if by seek refuge you mean forcefully evicted time and time again from land given to them by treaty with the US. In total there were about about 370 treaties and the US broke every single one of them.

Trails_of_Tears_en.0.png
    The Trail of Tears. Notice how different from Florida the reservations were.

The Choctaw Nation donated $170 to famine relief in Ireland a little later on.

More on the earlier history here. If you go back further you can see how the Puritans treated the original inhabitants who saved them from starving that first winter.
    https://www.history.com/news/native-american-land-british-colonies

treaty-of-paris-us-map-gettyimages-71082458.webp

went to this

map_of_territorial_growth_1775.webp

And there was French funded War that led to the US Independence and end of controls from England and tearing up of treaties and annexing those areas.

Back to the question. Many of the areas in the West were not states so no laws or law enforcement. Wild. Oddly enough the murder rate was higher in the Eastern cities at the time. Gangs of New York etc.

s-l1600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep, as the Donner family found out if you didn't set off at the right time then you would still be in the mountains when winter came.

When building the transcontinental railroad (e.g. in the TV series Hell of Wheels with Colm Meaney), the Irish lads were building at a rate of knots across the prairie while at the California end they had huge engineering challenges to get up over the mountains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Garda Traffic School was this track of miniature fake road in Clontarf that used to be used to teach kids about road safety. There were pedal carts and bicycles, and the track had junctions and traffic lights. You’d be brought for a class trip, and a Garda would give you a lecture on stopping at red lights and not getting hit by cars, then you’d be let loose on the track to cause mayhem.

I remember being told to put your foot out on the road to show that you're about to cross, I did this and got my foot ran over by my classmate in a pedal cart, I ran after him and hit him a boot which started a barney between us on the road, I'm not sure if the Guard was called for but our Teacher was furious. Another dark day in the annals of our schools short history when we caused multiple Road Traffic Accidents and road rage incidents at the Traffic School

When Colombia still ruled Panama, they thought about making Panama City the national capital as it had better access to the sea than Bogotá, which is high in the mountains and far from any rivers. They decided against it because it was too difficult to defend from foreign invasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Bambi wrote: »
    I remember being told to put your foot out on the road to show that you're about to cross, I did this and got my foot ran over by my classmate in a pedal cart, I ran after him and hit him a boot which started a barney between us on the road, I'm not sure if the Guard was called for but our Teacher was furious. Another dark day in the annals of our schools short history when we caused multiple Road Traffic Accidents and road rage incidents at the Traffic School

Was this you?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭greenttc

Anyway, as I have mentioned above thread on several occasions I'm a serious map nerd and I am a GIS Analyst by trade, so it kinda comes with the territory. Anyway, I don't know how interesting this would be for most, but I love the RIA and their lecture series' when I can get to them the odd time and I ESPECIALLY love when they are when they are based on historical geography and cartography so I'll be "attending" this lecture with great enthusiasm.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/man-maps-and-map-history-john-andrews-19272019-registration-127991450875

Anyway, I would certainly recommend anyone with any interest in mapping and the history of same to sign up.

Arnold Horner! One of my UCD lecturers, he was like a teddy bear, would love to listen to him now as a more appreciative adult, I kind of found his soft tone hard to listen to as a teenager/early 20s student. There was always a little glint of humour though. Thanks for sharing this!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

SpaceX Crew1 launches tonight at 00:27 Irish time, map showing mission abort landing zones, and the Downrange Abort Exclusion Zone,

daez.jpg

125375587_1276783756021560_4700907912429053975_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=2&_nc_sid=da1649&efg=eyJpIjoibCJ9&_nc_ohc=eufhzEA-o0wAX9RRPHR&_nc_ht=scontent-amt2-1.xx&tp=14&oh=50490c7e4eab699d5547bc2a6ebae1ee&oe=5FD82EC5

Discuss.

Cavan goes to hurl, 51 to 49. but they don't count, really... (or maybe they are are impartial observers?)

Cout.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

I think what is modern day Arizona and New Mexico, and Mexico in general is fairly flat. Hilly in places but not mountainous.

Cavan goes to hurl, 51 to 49. but they don't count, really... (or maybe they are are impartial observers?)

Cout.png

Not fielding a senior team in either sport should lock you out of both. I'm looking at you Kilkenny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

MY BAD wrote: »
    I've no idea how accurate the data is in this map. But I thought Ireland would be the highest

I'm surprised Germany isn't higher. They eat potatoes with every meal. Brotkartoffeln, which are fried potatoes or they also eat those stodgy potato dumplings. The Dutch and Belgians are huge spud heads too so their numbes make sense.

I'd say the UK numbers are so high because of the amount of chips they eat.

There was a time when I would say growing up that I would have had potatoes with dinner everyday. But I think nowadays pasta or rice might have crept into one or two weekly dinners.

Advertisement