Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭MsStote

Always found this one interesting, the chinese ports around the world. They buy or lease land for sometimes 100 years and they have full control over it. Kinda crazy how many are being constructed.

345978218.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

MsStote wrote: »
    Always found this one interesting, the chinese ports around the world. They buy or lease land for sometimes 100 years and they have full control over it. Kinda crazy how many are being constructed.

345978218.gif
    The book Prisoners of Geography has a chapter about China and it’s open sea access. It felt that it would never be a true superpower until it had free access to the oceans without passing through other countries waters. They are trying to link Gwadar port to China by land to remedy that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Wales can be divided into three regions. British Wales , Welsh Wales and Y Fro Gymraeg. They don't quite match the voting results. But it's near enough.

IS British Wales not really a pseudonym for English Wales, and of the English are not Britons like the Welsh, but German blowins?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

IS British Wales not really a pseudonym for English Wales, and of the English are not Britons like the Welsh, but German blowins?

No, it’s not that simple. It’s not the case that the English are descendants of Germanic tribes like the Angles and the Saxons, and nothing (or little) else. The numbers that came from German tribes were probably quite small, but they were militarily and culturally dominant, and so over time consumed the local populations of “Britons” into an Anglo-Saxon culture. Sure, there’s a Germanic mix in there, but It is a mix. The Anglo-Saxon, Roman and Norman invasions were cultural and political rather than demographic.

In fact, the south of England population shares more genetic similarity with the French population (40%) than it does with the German (30%) - and this is not a result of the Norman conquest in the 11th century, but rather the result of migrations at the end of the last ice age some 10,000 years ago.

It should also be noted that the “Britons” themselves were not a genetically homogeneous group, and there’s significant genetic differences between the Cornish and Welsh, for instance. This reinforces the fact that the Celts were not a single genetic or ethnic group, but an umbrella of similar cultures.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Freestate proposals for amending border 1923, darker areas to be liberated.

915d989add2ff8c5241e0b29d128cb32e8447c14d965cff8449289c3263366e2.jpg?w=800&h=483

2000px-Northern-Ireland-election-seats-1997-2019-svg.png

It forecast the march of nationalist majority areas. It is pretty close to the last election results. Mid Armagh is now also green as are 3 out of 4 of the Belfast electoral areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pj9999

Ireland imagined without the inland counties (OC)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

pj9999 wrote: »

Why would you want to drown us?!?

*Searches for some of those maps of coastal counties disappearing due to rising sea-levels* :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I wouldn't have thought Meath to Leitrim would be one of the two top priority ferry routes in such a scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Is limerick deemed inland? I know the shannon estuary is tidal but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Wales can be divided into three regions. British Wales , Welsh Wales and Y Fro Gymraeg. They don't quite match the voting results. But it's near enough.

Plaid have 4 seats out of 40. And they are all in Y Fro Gymraeg, the west coast 'Gealtacht'

Votes in 2019 GE
    [/QUOTE]Was wondering how long it would take for that one to be reposted from Politics :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,640 ✭✭✭✭josip

retalivity wrote: »
    Is limerick deemed inland? I know the shannon estuary is tidal but still...

If Limerick gets in solely on the basis of a tidal border, then Kilkenny, Armagh and Carlow want in also :)

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭pj9999

Ferries tend to take the shortest sea distance.
    By the way on a clear day, you'd be able to clearly see the cliffs of Leitrim from the Meath coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Leitrim and Meath are a lot closer than I had ever realised.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

josip wrote: »
    If Limerick gets in solely on the basis of a tidal border, then Kilkenny, Armagh and Carlow want in also :)

You beat me to it.

You beat me to it.

I left out Tipp.
    But that was deliberate :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

josip wrote: »

Don't forget Tyrone an just possibly Tipperary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭cml387

Victor wrote: »
    Don't forget Tyrone an just possibly Tipperary.
    Yes, the Suir is tidal at Carrick On Suir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭ablelocks

hmm, if we pulled the plug on Lake Hibernia we could flood Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

ablelocks wrote: »
    hmm, if we pulled the plug on Lake Hibernia we could flood Cork.

Don't worry it does that anyway ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Urbano Monte’s Massive Map of the Earth (1587)
    In 1587, Urbano Monte made the largest known early map of Earth. The map consists of 60 panels that were meant to be assembled into a planisphere (a circular map that rotates about a central axis) measuring 10 feet across.

monte-planisphere-01.jpg

A rotatable & zoomable globe of Monte’s map

https://kottke.org/19/07/urbano-montes-massive-map-of-the-earth-1587

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

Before the the last Ice age 30,000 years ago
    534116.gif

Brrrrrr!!....Ice age.
    534117.jpg

Warming up:)...red lines are ice
    534118.gif
    534119.gif

Here comes trouble!
    534120.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm assuming there are a few budding city builders in here.

Found this site during the week on my travels.

I generated this city a few minutes ago:

534123.JPG

NB. Not a real place!

You can generate your own virtual cities here:

https://probabletrain.itch.io/city-generator

• Registered Users Posts: 14,010 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pretty cool and accurate for the 1500's with the exception of Japan, which looks like a 'ah fcuk it, we're nearly finished, just scribble some lines and call it giapone'

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

That rotatable map is very cool indeed. What I find strange about the mapping shown is that the outline, relative orientation and proportions of Africa seemed to be better known and mapped to Europeans in 1587 than Ireland or even Italy and Sicily.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It looks like they were fond of the Caribbean also, dirty boys.

Advertisement