Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Maps

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Older kids are more likely to get waylaid or be too curious. Might have opened the envelope sure.

I remember at the age of 10 going into town with my mate to get school books!

That was 1994!
    It reminds me of the flip of this - when I was in secondary school in Fairview in Dublin and there was a lad in my inter cert class who had never left Dublin county ever.
    To me this was something alien as my parents were from rural Ireland and we often would travel down to the sticks.
    Nowadays so many kids will have travelled abroad many times before they hit the age of ten - could it still be possible that a teenager wont have left their county?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,240 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It reminds me of the flip of this - when I was in secondary school in Fairview in Dublin and there was a lad in my inter cert class who had never left Dublin county ever.
    To me this was something alien as my parents were from rural Ireland and we often would travel down to the sticks.
    Nowadays so many kids will have travelled abroad many times before they hit the age of ten - could it still be possible that a teenager wont have left their county?

Not even on school trips?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I guess, he was from close to the inner city and I reckon a poor background and maybe his primary school didn't travel.
    I still find it bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I went to school in Marino, and all (primary) school trips consisted of either the Zoo, the Airport or Dollymount. We didn't leave the Northside, let alone the county*

Here's that in interesting map format

532457.jpg

Secondary school we went to the Planetarium in Armagh once - international travel!

(* I personally did outside of school, as I had culchie relatives)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I went to school in Marino, and all (primary) school trips consisted of either the Zoo, the Airport or Dollymount. We didn't leave the Northside, let alone the county. Secondary school we went to the Planetarium in Armagh once - international travel!

Get out!

:0

Yeah, I went to school in Chapelizod and we went all over the place. Had a school trip the Planetarium and Navan Fort in Armagh in early 1995 after the IRA and Loyalist Ceasefires and we went to Holyhead in 1996. Oh the joys of seeing Woolworths and Argos for the first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Get out!

:0

Yeah, I went to school in Chapelizod and we went all over the place. Had a school trip the Planetarium and Navan Fort in Armagh in early 1995 after the IRA and Loyalist Ceasefires and we went to Holyhead in 1996. Oh the joys of seeing Woolworths and Argos for the first time.

I seem to remember a Woolworths near the top of Grafton Street in the 80s.

Oh they existed here in Mexico alright until the 80s. There was a load of UK chains that skidaddled from here at the height of the misery in the 80s. Tesco was another.

For years I wondered why people referred to the local Quinnsworth and later Crazy Prices as "Tescos" as they had had an outlet there at some point in the past

Tesco didn't re-enter the Irish market until 1997 when they bought Powers and Stewarts.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I went to school in Marino, and all (primary) school trips consisted of either the Zoo, the Airport or Dollymount. We didn't leave the Northside, let alone the county*

Looks like you missed out on the Clontarf Traffic School
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNO90cesLpo&feature=emb_err_woyt

a great place for a school trip. well except for those who had to be predestrians

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They had three stores in Dublin City (Grafton Street, Henry Street and Thomas Street) plus one in the majority of decent sized provincial towns and cities. There's a decent book on the Irish operations.

• Advertisement

Ha! Actually yes, we did go there every year. But that was more for the obligatory Northsider joyriding lessons than a school tour.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Oh they existed here in Mexico alright until the 80s. There was a load of UK chains that skidaddled from here at the height of the misery in the 80s. Tesco was another.

For years I wondered why people referred to the local Quinnsworth and later Crazy Prices as "Tescos" as they had had an outlet there at some point in the past

Tesco didn't re-enter the Irish market until 1997 when they bought Powers and Stewarts.

Are you sure they weren't saying "Three Guys" and not Tesco?

Fairly sure the Tesco name only came into Ireland in '97 but Crazy Prices (Quinnsworth) took over the Three Guys shops and they were still commonly referred to as that or Gubays.*

HWilliams took over Three Guys first but that didn't last long.

Ah yes. We went there as well. That was class!

So, to get back to the maps and aerial photography-

Here's an aerial photo of the Traffic School between the train station and Alfie Byrne Road ca. 2000:

532504.JPG

humberklog wrote: »
    Are you sure they weren't saying "Three Guys" and not Tesco?

Fairly sure the Tesco name only came into Ireland in '97 but Crazy Prices (Quinnsworth) took over the Three Guys shops and they were still commonly referred to as that or Gubays.*

HWilliams took over Three Guys first but that didn't last long.

No. It was definitely always called "Tescos" for no apparent reason.
    As I said, it had always confused me forever and a day. So unless there was some weird use in Ballyfermot of "Tescos" as a "generic trademark/noun" for a supermarket, then there was definitely some link to Tesco in the shopping centre.

Anyway, as I have mentioned above thread on several occasions I'm a serious map nerd and I am a GIS Analyst by trade, so it kinda comes with the territory. Anyway, I don't know how interesting this would be for most, but I love the RIA and their lecture series' when I can get to them the odd time and I ESPECIALLY love when they are when they are based on historical geography and cartography so I'll be "attending" this lecture with great enthusiasm.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/man-maps-and-map-history-john-andrews-19272019-registration-127991450875

Anyway, I would certainly recommend anyone with any interest in mapping and the history of same to sign up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Ah yes. We went there as well. That was class!

So, to get back to the maps and aerial photography-

Here's an aerial photo of the Traffic School between the train station and Alfie Byrne Road:

532504.JPG

What was that? I'm fairly new to the area, only ever known that as the astro pitch

Shedite27 wrote: »
    What was that? I'm fairly new to the area, only ever known that as the astro pitch

https://cedarlounge.wordpress.com/2009/04/11/the-traffic-school-in-clontarf-a-little-piece-of-history/

Shedite27 wrote: »

The Garda Traffic School was this track of miniature fake road in Clontarf that used to be used to teach kids about road safety. There were pedal carts and bicycles, and the track had junctions and traffic lights. You’d be brought for a class trip, and a Garda would give you a lecture on stopping at red lights and not getting hit by cars, then you’d be let loose on the track to cause mayhem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Launch Facility Cape Canaveral

lc-36.gif
    main%20image%20%288%29.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭josip

The Garda Traffic School was this track of miniature fake road in Clontarf that used to be used to teach kids about road safety. There were pedal carts and bicycles, and the track had junctions and traffic lights. You’d be brought for a class trip, and a Garda would give you a lecture on stopping at red lights and not getting hit by cars, then you’d be let loose on the track to cause mayhem.

Our team used to train on the cinder track and inner pitches around 94-96.
    We'd see the signs whenever we were running laps, but I never realised it was for kids.
    I thought it was an adult driving testing centre or similar.
    I was always wondering how people got the cars in there from the road :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Cant post pic.

I was amazed to see all the glasshouses in the south east of Spain.
    Under the Sierra Navada Nat. park! The town is El Ajido, its surrounded by MILES of glasshouses!
    Its visible from space !!

https://earth.google.com/web/@36.75285974,-2.72197406,39.97144603a,31560.42306175d,35y,0h,0t,0r

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

greenspurs wrote: »
    Cant post pic.

Under the Sierra Navada Nat. park! The town is El Ajido, its surrounded by MILES of glasshouses!

https://earth.google.com/web/@36.75285974,-2.72197406,39.97144603a,31560.42306175d,35y,0h,0t,0r

It's not all glasshouses - much of it is just plastic sheeting. You'll see that clearer from streetview.

https://earth.google.com/web/@36.71562047,-2.74647353,52.90269651a,0d,60y,69.56605802h,63.28777875t,0r/data=IhoKFjg3WU1YSTY0TFh4UTVtMnNBdWdIeGcQAg

edit: Everything is visible from space with a powerful enough camera. It's kind of a meaningless qualifier for years.

edit: Everything is visible from space with a powerful enough camera. It's kind of a meaningless qualifier for years.

Ah, in all fairness, this one is actually visible from space. That's a bit like saying "Well, you can't see it from Pluto, so saying it's visible from space is meaningless". Most people understand the term within obvious limitations.

Here's a photo of the south of Spain and North West Africa from the ISS. You can clearly see it sticking out like a sore thumb. For reference, the cities of Gibraltar, Cádiz, Ceuta, Tangier, Marbella and Málaga are also in this photo, but you'd be hard pressed to pick any of them out. Night time would obviously be a very different story.

532535.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

You can see the moon from those glasshouses

The Nal wrote: »
    You can see the moon from those glasshouses

I was going to say "wait till you start seeing the glasshouses on the moon from those glasshouse", but it looks like they'll have to be buried under the lunar soil to protect from radiation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

It's not all glasshouses - much of it is just plastic sheeting. You'll see that clearer from streetview.

https://earth.google.com/web/@36.71562047,-2.74647353,52.90269651a,0d,60y,69.56605802h,63.28777875t,0r/data=IhoKFjg3WU1YSTY0TFh4UTVtMnNBdWdIeGcQAg

Sincere apologies ................................................................ :rolleyes:

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

They used to say you could see Michael Lowrey's house extension from space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭Barna77

greenspurs wrote: »
    Cant post pic.

The so called Sea of Plastic made El Ejido very wealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭ablelocks

A Visualization Comparing the Size of Cities Worldwide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,529 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Europe in 526.
    europa-nel-5261.png

Advertisement