Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo to end €9.99 per month for life offer [Now €12.99]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    Would be great if someone could try wifi calling and confirm it doesn't work?

So I enabled airplane mode and enabled WiFi and I cannot make calls. It states I need to turn off airplane mode or enable wifi to make a call.

Seems the option is there to enable/disable but only on the phone. It has no impact on the actual network setting which I assume is disabled.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,473 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Sounds like it isn't working. I'm going to make the jump either way.

I'm kind of surprised that they wouldn't support this, but seem to support 5g. You would think that wifi calling is a feature that would save them money. Hopefully they just haven't added it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Thanks for the info, I guess the phone can't tell if the provider offers wifi calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

bk wrote: »
    If someone has an iPhone, if they have wiki calling enabled and turn off cellular while at home on wifi, you can then test it by trying to make a call. If it works with the wifi off then it is working. I just tried that on Vodafone and it works.

I'm going to make the jump to Gomo this evening either way.

I'm kind of surprised that they wouldn't support this, but seem to support 5g. You would think that wifi calling is a feature that would save them money.

I didn't realise Vodafone had this, good stuff. I thought Eir were the only network with it here.

bk wrote: »

I'm kind of surprised that they wouldn't support this, but seem to support 5g. You would think that wifi calling is a feature that would save them money.

Good point but they also have to keep some services exclusive so some will still sign up for the more expensive Eir mobile service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

cookie1977 wrote: »
    So I enabled airplane mode and enabled WiFi and I cannot make calls. It states I need to turn off airplane mode or enable wifi to make a call.

Seems the option is there to enable/disable but only on the phone. It has no impact on the actual network setting which I assume is disabled.

You need to turn on both wifi calling and wifi, you can't make wifi calls in full airplane mode.

Also Gomo have confirmed several times they do not support wifi calling.

GarIT wrote: »
    You need to turn on both wifi calling and wifi, you can't make wifi calls in full airplane mode.

Also Gomo have confirmed several times they do not support wifi calling.

I did have:
    Airplane Mode enabled
    WiFi enabled
    WiFi calling enabled

= No calls allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

WiFi calling is not supported on Gomo, it is on Eir billpay and Vodafone bill pay only AFAIK, pity but them is the breaks...

You get what you pay for in this instance, and that's fine by me for a tenner a month...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

WiFi calling doesn't work. It did when I was previously with eir but not on Gomo

Fieldog wrote: »
    WiFi calling is not supported on Gomo, it is on Eir billpay and Vodafone bill pay only AFAIK, pity but them is the breaks...

You get what you pay for in this instance, and that's fine by me for a tenner a month...

Well they don't mention 5g either but it's accessible on gomo. Companies say lots but it doesn't mean it's true. Tesco say i can't use my Christmas cash top-up for clubcard boost but it always works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Joziburg

Anyone else notice the reps are great at suddenly ending chats on the messaging service. Lost count the amount of times it’s happened

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,464 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    WiFi calling doesn't work. It did when I was previously with eir but not on Gomo

GoMo specifically stated from the start that WiFi calling is not supported.

kceire wrote: »
    GoMo specifically stated from the start that WiFi calling is not supported.

Yes but Tesco allow the Christmas cash top-up to boost the club card ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

So far the service is fine, but when it comes to speed though, Vodafone absolutely murders it! GoMo uses Eir for backend from what I understand and I've tested Eir SIM at the same time and got pretty much the same speeds as GoMo. I'm getting about 4-5MB usually. Sometimes 15. Vodafone is consistently at least double the speed.

For a tenner, I can't complain, but I am having a hard time deciding whether I should keep GoMo or stay with Vodafone for €20 a month.

95gyZhp.jpg

SrPfulp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

CyberGhost wrote: »
    So far the service is fine, but when it comes to speed though, Vodafone absolutely murders it! GoMo uses Eir for backend from what I understand and I've tested Eir SIM at the same time and got pretty much the same speeds as GoMo. I'm getting about 4-5MB usually. Sometimes 15. Vodafone is consistently at least double the speed.

For a tenner, I can't complain, but I am having a hard time deciding whether I should keep GoMo or stay with Vodafone for €20 a month.

95gyZhp.jpg

SrPfulp.jpg

Agree with you, I changed the kids phones to gomo but decided to keep my own number on VF, it is imho a far superior network

CyberGhost wrote: »

95gyZhp.jpg

SrPfulp.jpg

I think quoting this post should be mandatory going forward.
    I also got over 100Mbps most of the time while on Vodafone both bill pay and PAYG.
    I was only using it to stream music most of the time so I didn't need that kind of speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Too many people think high numbers on a speed test site mean the service is better with a different provider when in fact you are never even using anywhere near that speed in normal usage. It's like people going for 1Gb fibre packages and are only ever hitting a few hundred Mb download

fritzelly wrote: »
    Too many people think high numbers on a speed test site mean the service is better with a different provider when in fact you are never even using anywhere near that speed in normal usage. It's like people going for 1Gb fibre packages and are only ever hitting a few hundred Mb download

Yes, consistency is more important than top speed especially with mobile. From my experience Vodafone has much more consistent, usable speeds especially in rural areas. But of course you pay for it.
    GOMO is fast enough for me as I need about 1Mbps for audio streaming while using google maps. I'd say on average I get 1-5Mbps while on the move in rural North Tipperary. That may not be good enough for some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I've done a few speed tests on Gomo - got 50Mb+ in Bray, but most of them have been 5Mb or less.

I mostly use mobile data when on the Dart and so far I've found GoMo about the same as Vodafone there (i.e. good in some places, dead in others) so good enough for me.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I've done a few speed tests on Gomo - got 50Mb+ in Bray, but most of them have been 5Mb or less.

I mostly use mobile data when on the Dart and so far I've found GoMo about the same as Vodafone there (i.e. good in some places, dead in others) so good enough for me.

The commuter routes are good in general. I get some good speeds while driving on motorways so in car entertainment works well. If the rail lines are just as good
    that covers the important areas for many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭matzen

Data would cut off at certain stretches on northern rail routes using GoMo. Switched back to VF and netflix/youtube can get a bit blurry at times but do not completely cut off. for someone commuting every day those data cut offs just isn't worth saving a tenner each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Moved from a multi line account from Eir, first Sim took 36 hours and the other failed every single time. Took 13 days to get it over, Gomo blamed Eir and they blamed GoMo. Just kept updating the move until it went through. Issue is that both Sims had the same account number and failure said "Move already in progress from Eircom Mobile" even when it clearly wasn't as far as I could say days after the first sim port.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭bugsyb4

Berty wrote: »
    Moved from a multi line account from Eir, first Sim took 36 hours and the other failed every single time. Took 13 days to get it over, Gomo blamed Eir and they blamed GoMo. Just kept updating the move until it went through. Issue is that both Sims had the same account number and failure said "Move already in progress from Eircom Mobile" even when it clearly wasn't as far as I could say days after the first sim port.

Ok I think I am in the same boat as you were right now. My first move failed last night and they both blamed each other and then rescheduled move for later on last night and all I am seeing now on website is your number move is in progress. I am not holding out massive hope for this to go through successfully. Doesn't help that chat option gone from website currently it seems!

Can I ask you one thing when filling in move form what did you use for account number?

The first time I put in UAN on my bill but this time I put in my own personal account number with Eir. Maybe that was my problem the first time so probably just need to wait and see as I know they have advised can take up to 48 hours to move number over.

Consistently good speeds here in South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

bugsyb4 wrote: »

Can I ask you one thing when filling in move form what did you use for account number?

Never used the UAN because that is only tied to your broadband and landline and nothing to do with the mobiles. I used both multi line and single line (we had 2 sims) and when it finally went through it was using Multi line. When it failed you get a text within seconds telling you, if you didn't get the text then it will likely have started to process correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Does anyone know if these SIMs can be used in a hotspot rather than a phone.
    Burnt in the past with Vodafone having to swap between APNs (and prepay price plans) depending on where SIM is

Burnt in the past with Vodafone having to swap between APNs depending on where SIM is

Put it in an old phone and use it to hotspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭zetor 4911

I signed up for GOMO and received my sim but didn't realize that my phone was locked to 3 so went into my local 3 store and they submitted a request on line for an unblocking code said it would take 2/3 day but it's now 4 day anyone have to do the same and how long did it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭MF290

Burnt in the past with Vodafone having to swap between APNs (and prepay price plans) depending on where SIM is

I got my sim yesterday. Works perfectly for Hotspot on the phone anyway. With previously Virgin media I had to mess about with APN name on mobile data settings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 robcronin

zetor 4911 wrote: »
    I signed up for GOMO and received my sim but didn't realize that my phone was locked to 3 so went into my local 3 store and they submitted a request on line for an unblocking code said it would take 2/3 day but it's now 4 day anyone have to do the same and how long did it take?

I had the same problem. I got onto Three's online chat who submitted my unlock request on my behalf (as I lost my login privileges after switching to GoMo).

Received my unlock code about 6 hours later to my email. Maybe check with online chat to see what the status is?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement