Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GoMo to end €9.99 per month for life offer [Now €12.99]

Options
1383940414244»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

TheDriver wrote: »
    I did a speed test yesterday, got 82 down, 28 up

Fairly average speeds during the day but perfectly usable. Speeds at night are usually about triple this.

5961995571.png

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There have been network connection issues for the past couple of days (the internet connection is affected, not the phone lines). See here. Other than that, I've found them brilliant so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 howdy doody

Same problem here. Got on web chat this morning and was politely told that there was no problem and that I was " going round in circles".
    I tried to explain that including myself there are others including my family and work mates affected since yesterday.
    I was chatting to Rachel and Katie. Got nowhere.
    Dumbfounded by this lack of customer care, looks like those that warned me about Eir were right all along

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Rachel admitted to me that they have indeed been having problems. I didn't think the customer service was so bad at all, but it remains to be seen how long it'll be before they resolve the issue. Again, I know that "Past performance is no guarantee of future results". :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Larcoon

Does anyone know if the older mifi routers from meteor work with the gomo or do they need to be unlocked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭msmx5

Larcoon wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the older mifi routers from meteor work with the gomo or do they need to be unlocked

If they work with a meteor sim they should work no problem with a gomo one too. Will probably only do 3g though as I don't think they were 4g capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Larcoon

Thanks very much, 3G will do for now.

New Home wrote: »
    Rachel admitted to me that they have indeed been having problems. I didn't think the customer service was so bad at all, but it remains to be seen how long it'll be before they resolve the issue. Again, I know that "Past performance is no guarantee of future results". :)

Update: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113168243&postcount=45

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

theShire wrote: »
    For me it's very slow every evening from 5ish on.
    When working from home I can use my phone as a hotspot for remote working from 6am to 3pm without problem but after that I can barely browse Twitter or watch YouTube/Netflix on the phone.
    It has to be a capacity issue on the eir network/masts where I am as a few km up the road it works flawlessly even in the evenings

Evening speeds of ~2Mbps and morning speeds of ~8Mbps

This has been an issue for me since I moved house in January and it was fine in my previous home.

So it has to be a location/capacity issue where I'm now living

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭paddy19

theShire wrote: »
    Evening speeds of ~2Mbps and morning speeds of ~8Mbps

This has been an issue for me since I moved house in January and it was fine in my previous home.

So it has to be a location/capacity issue where I'm now living

I'm really lucky my 4G is better (81/29) than my fixed line broadband (55/19).

Proves, I suppose, that 4G is totally dependent on load, although 2 to 8 Mbps is ridiculous and shows they need to add more capacity to you tower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Larcoon wrote: »
    Thanks very much, 3G will do for now.
    Can you not hotspot your phone? 3G is never gonna do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

WiFi vs 3G vs 4G, I won’t knock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

paddy19 wrote: »
    I'm really lucky my 4G is better (81/29) than my fixed line broadband (55/19).

Proves, I suppose, that 4G is totally dependent on load, although 2 to 8 Mbps is ridiculous and shows they need to add more capacity to you tower.

I can live with it for now as I'm currently renting and in the process of renovating an old house (well I was before all the restrictions) where the coverage is much better

In work today near a mast and my speeds are great @ ~60Mbps

All in all I've no issue with GoMo, been with them since they launched and several family members switched too - haven't had/heard of any problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

I wonder the new agreement all the operators have with the government will mean the 80GB cap will be dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

kn wrote: »
    I wonder the new agreement all the operators have with the government will mean the 80GB cap will be dropped?

What's the new agreement with the government?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

kn wrote: »

I read that earlier but can't find it now.
    It was all the mobile operators have agreed to drop the cap on mobile data for people who don't have fixed internet but I thought it said subject to an extra payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Says will be given the opportunity to "upgrade" their packages if they don't have "unlimited" data.
    Anyone who doesn't have a fixed broadband can avail of affordable unlimited data access.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭jrmb

reni10 wrote: »
    What's the new agreement with the government?
    Extra radio spectrum is to be made temporarily available to mobile network operators to cater for a sharp rise in demand for voice and broadband services. The introduction of measures by the Government to tackle the Covid-19 pandemic have led to a surge in usage.

The telecom regulator, ComReg has confirmed that it is to allow mobile phone companies access to extra bandwidth to cope with the significant increased traffic demands of mobile networks since the outbreak.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/mobile-operators-get-extra-spectrum-to-meet-demands-of-lockdown-39114725.html

I read elsewhere about operators increasing customers' allowances and speeds, but I can't find it the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Rte had an article on it.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1130582/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/broadband-ireland-wifi-coronavirus-covid19

Regarding mobile data...
    2 Any customer who does not have fixed broadband and who relies solely on mobile access to the internet will have the opportunity to avail of affordable unlimited mobile data access from their service provider

3 Fair usage policies will not be automatically applied to unlimited fixed and mobile data packages over the duration of the crisis

It's a bit vague, don't expect anything too generous until the networks make their own announcement.

TBH it would be of more benefit to consumers if the minister and Comreg stopped the premium rate scammers taking unauthorized credit which seems to be fairly commonplace. No matter what Comreg does, the networks will just find other ways to maintain revenue.

The other thing that Comreg should do is order Vodafone to stop their sneaky tethering charge which is against the spirit (and probably the letter) of EU regulations on net neutrality.

Gomo will claim that they're offering good value for 80GB and also that data is still available over the limit (albeit glacially slow). They could raise that throttled speed to about 2MB to make it usable.

• Advertisement

Ten Pin wrote: »
    The other thing that Comreg should do is order Vodafone to stop their sneaky tethering charge which is against the spirit (and probably the letter) of EU regulations on net neutrality.

Not everybody gets charged by Vodafone for tethering. I know I don't (well, didn't, I haven't used it in a couple of months).

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭t8010789

I’ve been with gomo for a month and after the last few days of poor to no download speed I’ve decided to call it quits and move back to fixed line broadband. Anyone interested in buying a tp-link mr600 router, bought it from amazon less than 30 days so could return it for full refund.

t8010789 wrote: »
    I’ve been with gomo for a month and after the last few days of poor to no download speed I’ve decided to call it quits and move back to fixed line broadband. Anyone interested in buying a tp-link mr600 router, bought it from amazon less than 30 days so could return it for full refund.

If it's only on the basis of the last couple of days, I'd give them another chance: the Eir "internet" network was down, they only fixed it this morning, which in turn was badly affecting the GoMo network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Not everybody gets charged by Vodafone for tethering. I know I don't (well, didn't, I haven't used it in a couple of months).

That's probably because your device can't have it's APN settings changed in the background by Vodafone.

https://n.vodafone.ie/support/bill-pay-hub/bill-pay/vodafone-red.html
    Can I use Skype, P2P or tethering with Vodafone RED?

Skype or Peer 2 Peer

Unless your T&Cs state that usage of such services is not permitted, our network does not actively prevent their use. However as these services are based on third party apps over which we have no control, we cannot always guarantee that these services will work end to end.

Tethering (using your phone as as a mobile hot-spot)

If you are a Bill pay customer, you can use your phone for tethering as part of the data bundle you have with your price plan. All customers are advised to download a data monitoring app so you can monitor your data usage.

It may depend on what plan/tariff you're on, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I think the time has come to close this thread as its no longer about the offer.

Any further discussion can be posted in the Mobile forum. Their is already a GoMo FAQ thread with common questions and thread about coverage.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement