Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

London Bridge Incident - mod warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Surely you would want to ask some questions?

Why? You wouldn't get truthful answers from these vermin, waste of time and money keeping them alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

This was an evil act, no doubt about it and the attacker got what he deserves.
    But the fact that this group are having to recycle their terrorists and the methods lack any sophistication or planning would suggest that there aren't large numbers of radicalised jihadists operating in the UK.

It is disgusting that this guy was released to commit this crime, but from an ongoing prevention point of view it is better than them been able to recruit dozens of new recruits to carry out these attacks.

They are wicked evil people no doubt, but a small number with no organization. This was essentially a suicide attack with a knife. The fake vest meant he knew he would be killed.

joe40 wrote: »
    This was an evil act, no doubt about it and the attacker got what he deserves.
    But the fact that this group are having to recycle their terrorists and the methods lack any sophistication or planning would suggest that there aren't large numbers of radicalised jihadists operating in the UK.

It is disgusting that this guy was released to commit this crime, but from an ongoing prevention point of view it is better than them been able to recruit dozens of new recruits to carry out these attacks.

They are wicked evil people no doubt, but a small number with no organization. This was essentially a suicide attack with a knife. The fake vest meant he knew he would be killed.

Is this a joke?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Why? You wouldn't get truthful answers from these vermin, waste of time and money keeping them alive.

The Irish were once "these vermin" too.

What happens when you kill the wrong person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Where do you get a narwhal tusk at short notice?

Those lads are bravery personified.

On the wall of Fishmongers Hall

The Irish were once "these vermin" too.

What happens when you kill the wrong person?

He had stabbed 2 people and was wearing a suicide vest. Somehow I don't think he was the wrong person.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Pity the narwhal horn wasnt impaled on his forehead .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

The uk is the last western country I'd like to see using the death penalty (not that it prevented their shoot to kill policy, collusion, etc. in the past) or life without parole for what it deems "terrorism".

And all the while doing their best to protect their own terrorists who murder men, women and children in Ireland. Some of you people have no shame or short memories.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

****ing hell. That is quick thinking to grab that.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

He works in the fishmongers across the road. I guess they have that yoke on display?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

He had stabbed 2 people and was wearing a suicide vest. Somehow I don't think he was the wrong person.

If I got one of those stabbers cornered and disarmed, he'd bite the kirb....

Good night...stomp..

I'd get away with it for sheer fear for my own life and compassion for my fellow men and women..

A terrorist needs to be eradicated and his seed distinguished forever...

Imagine this guy going postal on a group of innocent people 100 yards further....

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Anyway, now that that’s all over with - welcome back lisa!! Come on in! Free gaf no doubt and looking forward to seeing you on the late late after christmas!

The problem is what happens when it's convenient for whoever is in government to label someone a terrorist?

No.

There's a difference between IRA terrorism and treason.

If UK citizens are members of organisations that seek to destroy the UK, such as ISIS, in my view they have voluntarily withdrawn their citizenship and accept that they are considered enemies of the State, tried for treason and killed.

IRA terrorists, whilst sickening, did not wish to see the end of the UK. They had a political objective in NI.

No.

If UK citizens are members of organisations that seek to destroy the UK, such as ISIS, in my view they have voluntarily withdrawn their citizenship and accept that they are considered enemies of the State, tried for treason and killed.

IRA terrorists, whilst sickening, did not wish to see the end of the UK. They had a political objective in NI.

Many of the IRA members were UK citizens trying to dismantle the UK. I didn't always agree with their motives but aims were consistent with a lot of Irish history.
    The paratrooper commander went into Derry on Bloody Sunday complaining about the softly softly approach. Look what that achieved, constant supply of recruits to the IRA for a generation.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just going back to the topic of the police shooting him and many people, including myself, happy with the result. In terms of police protocol and the reason behind the decision, it was absolutely the right one. The suspect represented a clear and immediate threat that warranted the use of deadly force. Once the vest was visually identified, it effectively meant brandishing a weapon and pointing it at everybody in the immediate area. There was no way to unbrandish it so to speak and in that case the police had no alternative but to use deadly force, which doesn't involve warning shots, or shooting limbs, they are trained to stop the threat. The fact that the vest was fake is irrelevant. Members of the public have also corroborated seeing the vest.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,946 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

nthclare wrote: »
    If I got one of those stabbers cornered and disarmed, he'd bite the kirb....

Good night...stomp..

I'd get away with it for sheer fear for my own life and compassion for my fellow men and women..

A terrorist needs to be eradicated and his seed distinguished forever...

Imagine this guy going postal on a group of innocent people 100 yards further....

Or you'd píss your pants and leg it.

No one knows how they would react in a situation like that.

That's why the people who actually intervened are heroes and anonymous "hard men" whittling on about what they would they do on the internet are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Have you seen "In the Name of the Father"?

It's full of lies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

delly wrote: »
    Just going back to the topic of the police shooting him and many people, including myself, happy the result. In terms of police protocol and the reason behind the decision, it was absolutely the right one. The suspect represented a clear and immediate threat that warranted the use of deadly force. Once the vest was visually identified, it effectively meant brandishing a weapon and pointing it at everybody in the immediate area. There was no way to unbrandish it so to speak and in that case the police had no alternative but to use deadly force, which doesn't involve warning shots, or shooting limbs, they are trained to stop the threat. The fact that the vest was fake is irrelevant. Members of the public have also corroborated seeing the vest.

100% the right thing to do

The police could not take a chance

• Advertisement

joe40 wrote: »
    Would you support the same approach for people convicted of Irish terrorism.
    The pub bombings in the 70s were as indiscriminate and much more deadly than these attacks.

I wasnt alive back then. But if either side started up their terrorism again id say yes.

I wasnt alive back then. But if either side started up their terrorism again id say yes.

Fair enough, but the thing is, with internment and bloody Sunday the British did adopt the old school colonial approach of hard hitting tactics and it was a disaster.
    Just turned out to be a recruiting drive for more young men to join the ranks of the IRA.

by the way I have no problem whatsoever with the attacker yesterday been shot dead. In the circumstances that was due process.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Boggles wrote: »
    Or you'd píss your pants and leg it.

No one knows how they would react in a situation like that.

That's why the people who actually intervened are heroes and anonymous "hard men" whittling on about what they would they do on the internet are not.

Were you outside Spaights in Limerick in the 90's while a guy with his friend pulled a knife on me and a friend because we were waiting for the Shannon bus...

Let's just say the odds were with the guys with the knife but we said **** it, swift kick in the nuts on one the other guy ran away when he heard my friends strong Belfast accent.

I'm not a bravado or hard man, but I could fight my corner...

Obviously your wiring say's fear, mine say's fight...all the way by if someone wants it I'll give it to them.

I don't seek it, but I'll sure dam defend myself and dish out punishment if it's the right thing to do...

That's the difference, if you're able to you'll do it if not just run...

piss my pants lol you're hillarious

I'd love to have a go at someone who's going to try and kill another, if I had the higher ground I'd sure go for it....

Obviously I'd have seconds to react, if I get Hurt that's my own fault...

Rather die a brave man than die a coward like yourself...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

randomspud wrote: »
    Excuse me! The term we've decided on in the past few weeks is "people seeking international protection".

Disregard the fact that they seem to be predominately young men who show up with no identifying documentation whatsoever along with the fact that they have a curious habit of straight up disappearing into the ether.

He was born in England, in Stoke

• Registered Users Posts: 39,946 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

nthclare wrote: »
    Were you outside Spaights in Limerick in the 90's while a guy with his friend pulled a knife on me and a friend because we were waiting for the Shannon bus...

Let's just say the odds were with the guys with the knife but we said **** it, swift kick in the nuts on one the other guy ran away when he heard my friends strong Belfast accent.

I'm not a bravado or hard man, but I could fight my corner...

Obviously your wiring say's fear, mine say's fight...all the way by if someone wants it I'll give it to them.

I don't seek it, but I'll sure dam defend myself and dish out punishment if it's the right thing to do...

That's the difference, if you're able to you'll do it if not just run...

piss my pants lol you're hillarious

I'd love to have a go at someone who's going to try and kill another, if I had the higher ground I'd sure go for it....

Obviously I'd have seconds to react, if I get Hurt that's my own fault...

Rather die a brave man than die a coward like yourself...

tenor.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

He was born in England, in Stoke

Yeah but what era or century was the country that bore his primary care givers from?

To the people calling for life and internment, this is the British Empire you are talking about. They go into countries and rape and pillage. They allow famines to happen while fleecing the country.

They fed their army all over the world on our beef during the potato famine. They did the same on a much bigger scale a number of times in India.

When one soldier is punished for pulling the trigger on innocents their tabloids back them, the comments section in these papers backs them. There is a huge cohort of people in Britain that think it’s fair game.

There was a time up north that the Catholics had to walk through a loyalist area to take their kids to school only a couple of decades ago and the loyalists came out and roared in the kids faces as they passed. It made national news.

The Catholics would still be treated like that if the Ira weren’t around at the time. Getting their houses burned out. Not getting jobs. All funding going to the areas with the British flags in the gardens.

The price for raping and pillaging the third world is every six months a mentally ill or perfectly sane person may blow up a tourist attraction or stab a few people.

You never hear the real reason these people are radicalized, they just tell you he was a mentally ill loner that couldn’t get a girl. They will tell you that if you vote for the liberals these people will be let run riot.

I’d like to think that if they voted in the liberals they may pull out of these countries and leave them at it. But they won’t. They will just legalize something and kiss more babies. The wheels of imperialism will keep turning in the background.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

BDI wrote: »
    Yeah but what era or century was the country that bore his primary care givers from?
    The Colonial era? It's nothing to do with the EU and current asylum seekers anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Fishmongers Hall where the attack started was holding a talk about criminals and rehabilitation and he was a speaker at it!
    You can't make this **** up. It's like a movie plot.
    Khan was wearing an electronic tag and had reportedly been invited to attend a justice conference on prison rehabilitation at Fishmongers’ Hall, on the northern side of London Bridge, on Friday. The attack began there.

Khan was one of nine people arrested for involvement in the Stock Exchange Plot in December 2010 and, at 19, was the youngest of the group. But in his sentencing remarks, Mr Justice Wilkie said Khan and two others were “more serious jihadis” than the others.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2019/nov/29/london-bridge-incident-police-city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

seamus wrote: »
    Shooting on the ground is going to be an issue.

We all know the London Met don't have a good record when it comes to proper discharge of firearms against people with the wrong skin colour.

This one won't help given that the video is already in the public domain and no amount of false statements from the officers involved can change that.

Perhaps the police officers saw him only as a person with a knife and a suicide vest who had just killed two people. Perhaps they can, you know, assess people without reference to their skin colour.

Can you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Slowyourrole

Jeff2 wrote: »
    He was holding it to keep the prints on it but but through some cloth from his pocket away.

The knife looked clean so maybe he wiped blood of it with the cloth.

Fair play to him anyway.

Probably had more than one knife.

But the Brazilian lad they shot after the London bombings wasn't.

No.

You do understand most IRA terrorists were UK citizens who wished to destroy the UK by uniting Ireland?

The videos coming out of this are amazing. It's a testament to Londoners that they were able to stop this fella and the police for getting there so quick. The whole thing seems to have been over in five minutes.

People like this man hate everything about western society and want to bring it down. Unfortunately, from the looks of some of the comments on this thread he, and people like him, are succeeding. When you advocate for summary executions, death penalties, internment, reduced rights, you are doing exactly what he hoped for.

Advertisement