Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What jobs get what salary?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

12th year as a primary school teacher and I currently get paid €36,556 net income a year.

What’s your gross wage

Iwantone wrote: »
    One thing that always amazes me when I see threads like this is how little Teachers earn.
    Holidays and pensions and job security. The earn plenty once full qualified but definitely newer recruits have been shafted and teachers getting dragged along in part time contracts for a few years is bad form

I reckon I could easily add €30k-€40k to my salary if I commuted to Dublin, but fcuk that. 15 mins drive to work, home before 5pm every day and my alarm goes off at 7.45am in the morning.

Salary is only one aspect of a job that I take into account - it's as much about the commute, the people you work with and the type of work you do.

If you don't have large debts or a consumerist outlook, a smaller salary can be the way to go.

You hit the nail on the head. I get up at 8:30 quick shower and 10 minute drive in a nice leafy green quiet country road with lyric fm on the radio. Work with a really nice bunch of people. Home by 6.
    When I was 16 I worked as an electrians run around and travelled to north Dublin every day(this was before the motorways). Did that for 3 months and it took it out of me. The lad I was getting the lift with aged about 10 years(he did it for over a year).

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Musefan

Psychologist, 54k, point 2 of the scale.
    Most long serving senior psychologists are on about 90k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

Bowlardo wrote: »
    What’s your gross wage

A load of snots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

CosmicFool wrote: »
    50k plus overtime and bonuses. Can come out max 80k but usually aroung the 60/65k as don't do a whole pile of overtime. Well known medical device company.

Doing what Cosmic? If you don't mind me asking, just roughly not asking for details.

The overtime has my interest piqued as 50k sounds like salary job level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Wow, this thread makes for such grim reading. You wonder how people survive at all on the likes of €90k a year, which can't keep them going for much more than a month surely. But the upbeat attitude is very heartening, and your heart goes out to them, trying to be positive and make the best of their precarious existance. It really is subsistence, day to day stuff, but you do feel the sense of shared hardship and make do, coming through.
    As for those talking about 40 or 50k a year. Well that's just trolling, or people have to work their way through college the hard way, hoping they will start to earn proper money some years into the future.
    €90k a year. I thought we had left that kind of grinding poverty behind in the 19th century. The country is indeed, banjaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Knockeen

I’m post primary teacher. Qualified in 2000. I’m on €72,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Carbon125

An infusion of reality from the CSO.
    Source: https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/wage-rates-are-you-paid-above-or-below-the-average-1.4089953 (subscriber only, sorry)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Thinly veiled "how much money do you make" thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Rufeo wrote: »
    Thinly veiled "how much money do you make" thread.
    Thinly veiled? Hardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Sheepdish1

Run my own small business. Best year ever for the business and pretty much runs itself at this stage. Should clear about 410k for myself this year. Nearly went to the wall back in 2011 so glad we were able to hold on.

What area is your business in ? Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

I'm based in Sydney Australia, engineering manager (mechanical engineer background).
    My salary package is approx $155k which is currently 95k Euro.

I think I've peaked in my industry so I'm trying to think of what to do next.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Turkish1

Teeley wrote: »
    Off topic question but how did you find new jobs?..linedkin, recruitment agency, contact companies directly? Thanks!

A bit of a mix, Jobs.ie a great resource and being approached by companies/recruiters via linkedin generally.

A number of organisations are now recruiting directly - I suspect more and more of the junior(ish) positions will go this direction in the coming years with recruitment agencies only looking after high profile roles that can be harder to recruit directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

12k per year as a PAYE worker 16 hrs per week (very little tax on that), 6k social welfare per annum and about 11k per annum as a take away delivery driver 2 nights a week. Things are tight but im time rich which is the most important thing for me.

Don't believe any of the tripe being written here.
    They're anonymous boards posters. Ask any of your friends or family what they earn and they won't tell you.

To be fair, by your own words, you dealt mostly with couples. Not single people. Couples have far more spending power, and the combination of two people provide a fair incentive towards saving/investment that single people often ignore until much later in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Software engineer with 5 years

47,250€ Salary
    Phone plus company car paid for approx 5,000€ benefit

Long commute 1hr30 but happy in current role

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

My very very first job paid 1.65 per hour, old Irish pounds. This was the early 90's.

My first 'real' job in IT paid me 13K a year, that was after a degree and a masters....

Roll on the guts of 25 years, I make 600 per day, as an IT contractor/consultant. The guts of about 140k a year.

Most people who earn good money, have gone through the mill to earn it.
    It is not as common as people think for people to land into well paid jobs, despite the often used stereotype of about the private school D4/D6 set. My mother and father were not auctioners for Sherry Fitz, or accountants for the Big4, I had to get where I am the old fashioned way. A little bit of luck, some good decisioning making and of course, perserverance and drive.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

These salaries seem really high.

I'm been a software developer in dotnet /C# for almost twenty years and the highest salary I've been paid was 45k. Recent contract rates have been 350pd.

I'm on the jobs market now and have just received a call from an agent about a development role, for 45k. I'm currently in the interview stage for a 60k offer though.

Am I just bad at haggling, but why do the offers I see pay less than what I would expect of industry average?

Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Little did we know that the current affairs forum is where Ireland's elite minds congregate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Admin worker in the construction industry. €37k plus benefits.

It's fairly high for the role I'm in, but I have a great CV so they went higher than they were happy to initially offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I'm been a software developer in dotnet /C# for almost twenty years and the highest salary I've been paid was 45k. Recent contract rates have been 350pd.

I'm on the jobs market now and have just received a call from an agent about a development role, for 45k. I'm currently in the interview stage for a 60k offer though.

Am I just bad at haggling, but why do the offers I see pay less than what I would expect of industry average?

Cork City.

We have grads starting in basic entry level electronic engineering roles on about 38 - 40k, I would have assumed the gap to developing and experience would demand a lot more than 45k.

large MNC in Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Cork City.

€350 is very low for a daily rate contract when you take holiday pay, pension, sick leave etc into account. Cork has always been lower when it comes to salaries. My wife had the option to move to CUH for her work a few years ago but we decided against it because the number of roles and pay in my area, software engineering, was far lower than Dublin. I interviewed and received an offer for one job as a senior developer (.Net) and they offered me €55K + pension + health.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Cork City.

Have you always worked in Cork? A variety of experience does wonders for your negotiations. I have worked around the world, in various IT roles, and have done some slight maneuvers into growing on-demand technologies, with some success.

.Net/C# are fairly run of the mill. Do you have any Java/Python/Golang/NodeJS experience? Automation or DevOps experience?

Developers are expected to do more and know more nowadays. If you are still doing the same thing you did 15 years ago, then do not expect a sudden change or big bump in salary.

Saying all that, you should be on more than 45k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Seems an awful lot for a principal?

You cannot pay enough for a good Principal. They all work well over their supposed hours, work after hours for free regularly and never go home on time and have plenty of after hours work. Not fun and very stressful. Quite a few Principals jack it in after a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Aircraft engineer for well known airline. Mid 50k per year including nights; four on, four off. Not got full license coverage. Highest for indoor engineers doing planning or similar is 80-90 k max.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

Environmental and Health and safety consultant, 18 years experience, 37.5 hrs/ week. some long days travelling around. BSc Env. Science - 50,000 pa

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Environmental and Health and safety consultant, 18 years experience, 37.5 hrs/ week. some long days travelling around. BSc Env. Science - 50,000 pa

That sounds low given your experience. Are you in construction or another industry?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Qualified gardener's start off on around 35,000 a year and depending on their experience and if they're well sought after it gets better.

It's more of a vocation than a career in ways, you'd be doing ok if you're contendly single and have no mortgage and passionate about the outdoors and environmental science etc

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

markodaly wrote: »
    Have you always worked in Cork? A variety of experience does wonders for your negotiations. I have worked around the world, in various IT roles, and have done some slight maneuvers into growing on-demand technologies, with some success.

.Net/C# are fairly run of the mill. Do you have any Java/Python/Golang/NodeJS experience? Automation or DevOps experience?

Developers are expected to do more and know more nowadays. If you are still doing the same thing you did 15 years ago, then do not expect a sudden change or big bump in salary.

Saying all that, you should be on more than 45k.

Full stack.

The offer of 45k today was from a company who had not seen my CV. Maybe it's a Cork thing, I dunno.

Advertisement