Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What jobs get what salary?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,586 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I've come to the realisation that qualifications mean absolutely nothing except for maybe getting you in the door.
    It is some kind of public sector artifact, to believe that you are entitled to some wage based on some level of experience.

Public sector artifact? I never cease to be amazed at these Pavlovian reactions to blame the public sector for everything.

Why would companies like Microsoft, PWC, Amazon Web Services, Johnson & Johnson, Levi Strauss all have job ads on LinkedIn today requiring these 'public sector artifacts'?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Cyrus wrote: »
    but is it not the case that the best end up there? bit like comparing an accountants salary at KPMG and a top 20 firm

Not necessarily, if can be a matter of timing: you go for an interview with, say, Amazon; All goes well, but when it's time to seal the deal...they just interviewed another candidate with pretty much the same CV and skills as you, but who for whatever reason will ask for 10k less.
    tomwaits48 wrote: »
    lol, not the first time I've noted a disdain from IT people towards marketing people.

Not the point - my example was to highlight how different and, let's be honest, more rewarding the career path is for somebody in finance/sales/marketing as opposed to a technical person. The latter suffers, in a nutshell, from lack of visibility - he or she will always be the "code monkey" working dark hours hidden away behind a rack of servers. The fact that a LOT of developers/admins also fit a specific personality type where they are HAPPY to be "invisible" and just let to be playing with the latest gadgets doesn't help the career prospects at all.

To give you the idea - the reason I've moved into management is, without hiding behind a finger, that my company needed a someone to manage a specific area of engineering but didn't want to pay the 100k+ salary to hire a manager. When they asked me and I said yes, they were actually SURPRISED. Most of the times, developers/engineers just don't want to be leaving the strictly technical side.

As for what you mention, it stems from the fact to this day most sales at an IT level are handled extremely badly; In a nutshell, ad-hoc solutions are often sold as if they were shelf product, due to lack of technical insight or simply training for the sales department. At that point, engineering and ops are basically faced with a done deal "customer X wants functionality Y in a month" , where functionality Y wasn't even part of the product to begin with. Cue in a month of unpaid overtime, late nights, tense meetings and other nice amenities. Rinse, repeat for the next customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Public sector artifact? I never cease to be amazed at these Pavlovian reactions to blame the public sector for everything.

Why would companies like Microsoft, PWC, Amazon Web Services, Johnson & Johnson, Levi Strauss all have job ads on LinkedIn today requiring these 'public sector artifacts'?

They do it as the best proxy they can think of to get candidates to self select. I have never met anyone in my life who satisfied the advert requirements of any job I have ever worked in.

Now I do work in portfolio management and trading, so I am limited to that experience but people's bonus and promotion where I have worked is 100% related to operational risk and alpha generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Doctor. 8 years qualified. On about 65k basic but make 30k+ overtime a year.

Work 60+ hours most weeks. 24h shifts fairly often.

There's easier ways to money. Sometimes I wish I'd done actuary or accountancy or IT as I'd probably be making similar with far better conditions, but I know I wouldn't find them interesting or exciting enough and wouldn't be able to stick it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Blind Eagle

There's easier ways to money. Sometimes I wish I'd done actuary or accountancy or IT as I'd probably be making similar with far better conditions, but I know I wouldn't find them interesting or exciting enough and wouldn't be able to stick it out.

On average, how much sleep would you get on these 24 hour shifts? Or is it literally non-stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭Firblog

Beasty wrote: »
    Christ! It looks like I pay more tax than the lot of you earn gross (in aggregate)

Oh, and I'm an Engineer.....

....A Financial Engineer;)

:pac::pac:

Ye can't be that good if yer payin' tax..

You are definitely underpaid, what is your speciality and out of interest what is the median wage for the same specialty and experience in the us?

If you have time!

On average, how much sleep would you get on these 24 hour shifts? Or is it literally non-stop.

Varies depending on where you are working and time of year. At the moment it's 0. Most sleep would be 4 hours in 24 but that's rare and it's usually 1-2. There's a lot of variation between jobs and specialties though.

You are definitely underpaid, what is your speciality and out of interest what is the median wage for the same specialty and experience in the us?

If you have time!

Wouldn't want to say my specialty as it's a small enough country. I'm not a GP. Training is shorter (though with more hours) in the US so I'd be be done training with a fellowship or two and pay would be 250-400k I imagine.

Wouldn't want to say my specialty as it's a small enough country. I'm not a GP. Training is shorter (though with more hours) in the US so I'd be be done training with a fellowship or two and pay would be 250-400k I imagine.

Yeah, I was thinking. My wife is entering residency in the us, the competition is fierce because everyone from Europe to Asia wants in on the 400k salaries, even attendings returning to residency in the us. I always laugh when people moan about doctors pay in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

Yeah, I was thinking. My wife is entering residency in the us, the competition is fierce because everyone from Europe to Asia wants in on the 400k salaries, even attendings returning to residency in the us. I always laugh when people moan about doctors pay in Ireland.

I agree about people complaining about doctor's salaries here but thank god we're not like the US. The whole system is corrupt from the drug companies and insurance companies to the hospitals and the doctors, everyone is looking to extract as much money as possible from individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

In the last 16 years or working for tier 1 global logo companies I have not been qualified to do a single role based on job adverts, I do not have degree or even a leaving cert. They caveat the qualification by adding or suitable experience.

EDIT: Just to add that I have worked for the public sector as a relatively well paid consultant. I was interested in joining a large Irish ministry and they wanted me to join as a full time role however I do not qualify without the paper qualifications.

krissovo wrote: »
    In the last 16 years or working for tier 1 global logo companies I have not been qualified to do a single role based on job adverts, I do not have degree or even a leaving cert. They caveat the qualification by adding or suitable experience.

EDIT: Just to add that I have worked for the public sector as a relatively well paid consultant. I was interested in joining a large Irish ministry and they wanted me to join as a full time role however I do not qualify without the paper qualifications.

Some Tier 1 global companies caveat by adding 'or suitable experience'. Some don't.

This has nothing to do with the public sector.

Public bodies have a legal obligation to be fair and transparent in recruitment. So if they set out a requirement, you either meet it or you don't. It's not hard to follow really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,142 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Can I ask a few questions?

I presume you are a hosp doctor?
    So the HSE is your employer?

What is the pathway/journey after graduation?

1 yr internship in hosp?
    Then how log as SHO?
    Then how long as registrar?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,863 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Public bodies have a legal obligation to appear to be fair and transparent in recruitment. So if they set out a requirement, you either meet it or you don't. It's not hard to follow really.

FYP :pac:

Cyrus wrote: »
    FYP :pac:

The law disagrees with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,863 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The law disagrees with you.

lighten up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Some Tier 1 global companies caveat by adding 'or suitable experience'. Some don't.

This has nothing to do with the public sector.

Public bodies have a legal obligation to be fair and transparent in recruitment. So if they set out a requirement, you either meet it or you don't. It's not hard to follow really.

The day of getting them jobs without qualifications is over, all big companies now require a qualification to get in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    The day of getting them jobs without qualifications is over, all big companies now require a qualification to get in the door.
    Nobody in our Engineering team his hired without a minimum 4 year BSc. It's part of visa requirements if we wanted to move someone to work in US

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

You dont get paid half enough. No money can compensate you for working regular 24 hour shifts where you are working for 20 plus hours of the 24. I suspect the 2-4 you may be "sleeping" are not restful.

Thank you for your sacrifice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭mackey9387

Car Park Manager

32.5k no qualifications worked my way up from part-time weekend worker. Get basic 20 days holidays don't work weekends and live within 5 minutes of work.

It's 8-4 most days too

JJJackal wrote: »
    You dont get paid half enough. No money can compensate you for working regular 24 hour shifts where you are working for 20 plus hours of the 24. I suspect the 2-4 you may be "sleeping" are not restful.

Thank you for your sacrifice

It's just crazy to have doctors, or anyone working these hours. It would be illegal for a taxi driver or truck driver to work these hours. Yet we expect doctors to make literal life or death decisions are working 20 hours straight.

This can't go on like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

It's just crazy to have doctors, or anyone working these hours. It would be illegal for a taxi driver or truck driver to work these hours. Yet we expect doctors to make literal life or death decisions are working 20 hours straight.

I suspect we dont know the half of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

And you know what? This is not an "Irish problem" at all. I've got doctor friends in Italy and it's the exact same issue. Heard that from another guy I know who worked in the UK as well. Looks like very widespread issue pretty much anywhere.

The sneaking suspicion is that the "system" everywhere takes advantage of individuals who chose to go into the medical profession, as of all careers it is one of the most "vocational" out there - not to mention the legal and moral ramifications of potentially "not being there" when a patient urgently needs care.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Blargh

Work in call centre environment and work from home 33k a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Work in an operative role for a Cash in Transit company working the night shift. 37k a year,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    And you know what? This is not an "Irish problem" at all. I've got doctor friends in Italy and it's the exact same issue. Heard that from another guy I know who worked in the UK as well. Looks like very widespread issue pretty much anywhere.

The sneaking suspicion is that the "system" everywhere takes advantage of individuals who chose to go into the medical profession, as of all careers it is one of the most "vocational" out there - not to mention the legal and moral ramifications of potentially "not being there" when a patient urgently needs care.

My brother works as a doctor in the uk having done a good number of years working as a doctor here in Ireland. He has said that the hours and working conditions are better in the uk, albeit that may depend on what type of doctor you are. Still a lot of hours, constant studying and a decent amount of pressure though. Definitely not for me

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Working as an IT support engineer. 27 yo, 4 years experience after college.
    Basic pay is €41k but with weekends, bank holidays and bonuses it comes to about €47k.
    Health insurance, pension contributions and work from home option as well so fairly decent all things considered.

Reading some of the other posts here, I realise this is good money for the work, but there is almost no chance of progression once you get to this level, unless you go into management.
    1-2 % pay raise per year is standard if you are meeting the goals. You could go above and beyond and do something extra but it won't be recognized so there's no point.

The only way to progress in IT support / software tech seems to be to move company every 2-3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

Senior Trainee in Neonatal Medicine - Critical Care of the Newborn. Basic Salary 68k, Overtime at 1.25 basic hourly rate of which I'd do 60-80 hours a month.

Death, horrific stress, life-or-death decisions that need to be made in seconds not minutes, technical skills, emotional skills, communication skills...

I'm at it 6 years - another 3 to go before finishing. 6 year degree before that, Masters and Research ongoing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Sagats_knee

Senior Trainee in Neonatal Medicine - Critical Care of the Newborn. Basic Salary 68k, Overtime at 1.25 basic hourly rate of which I'd do 60-80 hours a month.

Death, horrific stress, life-or-death decisions that need to be made in seconds not minutes, technical skills, emotional skills, communication skills...

I'm at it 6 years - another 3 to go before finishing. 6 year degree before that, Masters and Research ongoing.

Fair play to you for putting yourself through this for comparatively low economic reward, helping new babies get a chance at life. You're a real hero in my book.

Advertisement