Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosslare Container Migrants disappear from Direct Provision Centre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

For anyone pro Brexit this is great timing.

It looks like either a United ireland, or back to a hard border.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

riemann wrote: »

Wouldn't be a problem if we had proper border controls and since there's not going to be a United Ireland anytime soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

riemann wrote: »

Its about time even one of our borders was hard, all we seem to have is swiss cheese with more holes drilled in it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Can't beat this schizophrenic/xenophobic forum. Moan that they managed to make it here and that we will be stuck footing the bill for their stay in direct provision.

Now when we learn that some of them have fecked off out of the state, most likely to join family in the UK. I'm sure some of you are disappointed to see that these folks didn't see Ireland as an easy to fleece haven! Now ye are advocating that the state should have spent more money locking them up 24/7 and attempting detailed background checks (which coincidentally none of you know the Gardai with the assistance of Inter/Europol haven't done)

Anything for a good auld racist moan I suppose!

Never underestimate the benefits of a good auld moan (as the poster very succinctly demonstrates),even if considered racist etc by some :P

:D In the very obvious absence of any Official reasonable protective policy,then WE shall just have to settle for the next best thing...even if some see it as Racist ....schizo...xeno...etc etc etc....

The really GREAT thing about this little scenario is,to quote the late Peter Cook,it merely underlines "the bleedin' obvious !and is visible to all.

Wonder if this wee group of fellows will remain in contact with each other....an "Old Boys Network" if you will ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

fryup wrote: »
    so is this going to be the tactic going forward?....get into the republic and then abscond to the north and seek asylum in the UK??

Going on for years. Also goes the other way too. Mr Stab happy in Dundalk a few years ago (the one the media never mention) was a failed uk asylum seeker. Expect to see more of these as I expect the UK to get a lot harder to get into post Brexit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

1 million worth of damage to pharmaceuticals and allowed swan of into the sunset.

Soft ****ing touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,705 ✭✭✭seenitall

I'm not so sure that those economic migrants already in the UK would decide to up sticks and make the trip over here, most of them still think they will have better opportunities there than in surrounding countries like here or France.

As the UK follows the way of neoliberalism, and cuts back on expenditure in certain areas (welfare), and increases it in others (cough police state cough), I think that, in time, Ireland may become a much more appealing prospect for assorted people. Ask Ellie?

(Anyway, I'm an immigrant, and came to live in Ireland through personal circumstance long ago, but what with Brexit and the general state of things across the sea, boy am I glad it was Ireland I came to, and not the UK! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE now reporting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

RTE now reporting it.

Probably only because the IT and every other major outlet have already reported it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Probably only because the IT and every other major outlet have already reported it.

Yep. The game is up. They probably would have buried it if they could get away with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭KindOfIrish

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    If this is true, it doesn't inspire faith in Ireland's security controls.
    If I was the UK I'd also be pretty pissed off that a neighbour is so lax (works both ways I suppose)
    Weird one.

You mixed up sides I'm afraid. 95% of illegal immigrants and asylum seekers in Ireland came from UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Very very worrying from a security and competence perspective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Great, these newly arrived doctors will be treating patients in no time. Great boost for the health services.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Great, these newly arrived doctors will be treating patients in no time. Great boost for the health services.

In England.

The tide is turning…

Listening to the minister for justice Inspires no Confidence whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just heard on RTE radio that the Government is considering converting excess Defence Forces land (redundant barracks I suppose) into self contained Direct Provision centres.

Independent living, own kitchens and bathrooms. There seems to be no end to the lengths the Government will go now to provide top of the range facilities for these migrants, whilst our own homeless are still in hotels with their kids. Don't see any of the homeless do gooders pointing out this anomaly!

This will cost a chunk of millions to the taxpayer, but sure look it, it's good for our image as a caring society, but not to all it seems on an equal footing.

It's like a runaway train now.

I think this is a good thing, it might wake more people up to the fact that we are being taken for a ride by these bogus so called ‘asylum seekers’ who are actually illegal economic migrants taking us for fools.

Let’s see how the open borders advocates try to spin this story as it develops.

In England.

Were you always this cynical?

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    1 million worth of damage to pharmaceuticals and allowed swan of into the sunset.

Soft ****ing touch.

****ers should be on remand.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Leonita

Why were they not returned to France where they came from? I always thought that they have to claim asylum in the first country they arrive into? I'm open to correction on this. If they are found they should be returned back to their country of origin. It's obvious that they are not in fear for their safety at all if they can hop on trailers arrive in another country and then feck off to the UK. Did I see on the news that one of the Essex ones had legged it from Holland fairly recently too? It makes a whole mockery of the system if that is the new trend amongst these "refugees". They should never have been allowed to roam freely so quickly imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Can't beat this schizophrenic/xenophobic forum. Moan that they managed to make it here and that we will be stuck footing the bill for their stay in direct provision.

It's a very special type of stupid that thinks it's xenophobic to complain about our leniency towards illegal immigrants.

Now when we learn that some of them have fecked off out of the state, most likely to join family in the UK. I'm sure some of you are disappointed to see that these folks didn't see Ireland as an easy to fleece haven! Now ye are advocating that the state should have spent more money locking them up 24/7 and attempting detailed background checks (which coincidentally none of you know the Gardai with the assistance of Inter/Europol haven't done)

It's also very stupid to expect people who have problems with the attitude towards illegal immigrants not to point out how our system is being exploited.

But sure, play the xenophobic card. You tolerant, woke, champion of the immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Who says they’re even gone to England? They could be holed up anywhere here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Charlie & co branding people racist because the object to refugee centers in there towns, is this not a a good enough reason to object.
    For F*uck sake 14 men that nobody knows or where the come from, who broke into someone's truck causing 100s of thousands of damage, not to mention the reputation of the owner and driver, to be let roam the streets the next day is beyond a joke.
    Where is Charlie Flanagan hiding today to be asked what happened.

Houston we have a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Delta2113

"It was not compulsory for people to stay in the accommodation offered by the State and as they are not detained, they can leave the accommodation at any time they choose."

- I'll just leave that here!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mules wrote: »
    Why are the migrants so keen to go to the UK from France. Are the French less generous with benefits or is there something else?

Maybe they know English and not French ?
    Easier getting illegal work if you speak the language

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Delta2113 wrote: »
    "It was not compulsory for people to stay in the accommodation offered by the State and as they are not detained, they can leave the accommodation at any time they choose."

- I'll just leave that here!

Have the being charged with breaking into the truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

The Department of Justice has said it cannot comment on reports that some of the 15 men who were found earlier this week in the back of a lorry on a boat travelling from France to Rosslare have left the direct provision system.

A number of Sunday newspapers have reported that nine of the 15 men have left the reception centre where they were being processed.

One juvenile who was travelling with the group is in the care of the Child and Family Agency Tusla.

In a statement, the Department of Justice said it does not comment on individual cases.

It said that it has a legal obligation to protect the privacy of anyone who makes a claim for international protection.

But it said it was not compulsory for people to stay in the accommodation offered by the State and as they are not detained, they can leave the accommodation at any time they choose.

In a statement, gardaí said the 15 adults "continue to be offered accommodation and welfare services by Reception and Integration Agency" and their application for international protection continues.

It also said that a criminal investigation is ongoing.

Something is seriously wrong with society. Illegally enter a country. Claim asylum and then just head off wherever you like, and the state continue to offer welfare services?

Imagine if these lads wished to do harm? Lets face it, they've not arrived from the Isle of Man.

Charlie Flanagan must resign. Just last week he expressed full confidence in the states ability to deal with asylum seekers, he is clearly not fit for purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

The Government have been bladdering on about no hard border for the last 3 years and not once in any RTE/TV3 debate has anyone apart from Fintan O Toole mentioned the fact that someone will be just able to cross over into a non EU country if no checks are in place.

Now I disagree with 99.9% of what O Toole says but he's spot on on this one.

It's bloody ridiculous that lads can arrive on the back of a truck and have the same rights as someone who follows the rules and looks to enter our country legally, it just makes a mockery of the whole process.

I often feel like a voice in the wilderness in my opinion that we have to have a harder border between the Republic and the North should Brexit come to pass to protect OURSELVES.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

This is a farce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Surely as a duty of care the government should have their photos now up seeking information as to their wherabouts, what if some slave trader has taken them?

Advertisement