Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty, dreary, expensive, nothing to do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

There is some truth to OP, not all of it but some.
    People don't really seem to care either, today the new IFSC rafting attraction was reported on and literally everyone I speak to about it goes 'it will fail, it's a waste, it's dumb, insurance will kill it'. Is it something I care about? No. Is it something I think will upgrade the area, for sure.
    This seems to be the general mindset of the People in Dublin anytime something ambitious or out of the ordinary is suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

The context of the mumsnet forum has been lost on people here. Its a forum for people with young kids. I recently went into dublin pushing a buggy, and it was awful, narrow and able bodies in their 20s/30s wanted me to go off the kerb so they can get through. ill risk my baby so they can get through quicker and safer. gtf

there are a couple of nice playgrounds in the southside of the city, merrion square and st. stephens green, and the dead zoo. but nothing much else for kids. kids dont go into cafes or pubs or restaurants or shopping.

though this could be said for all cities, they are meant for people in their 20s/30s. id still rather bring a kid around dublin which isnt so big that you couldnt walk, rather than a kid on the london tube for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

LeeroyJ. wrote: »
    There is some truth to OP, not all of it but some.
    People don't really seem to care either, today the new IFSC rafting attraction was reported on and literally everyone I speak to about it goes 'it will fail, it's a waste, it's dumb, insurance will kill it'. Is it something I care about? No. Is it something I think will upgrade the area, for sure.
    This seems to be the general mindset of the People in Dublin anytime something ambitious or out of the ordinary is suggested.

I don't get that rafting thing. I mean there's still tonnes of unruly kids in that area from Sherriff St etc, the thing will need constant security, wonder how that will work, or if there will be walls around it or what. Especially now that they've all got lidl wetsuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I don't get that rafting thing. I mean there's still tonnes of unruly kids in that area from Sherriff St etc, the thing will need constant security, wonder how that will work, or if there will be walls around it or what. Especially now that they've all got lidl wetsuits.

They'll just end up drowning themselves - one of those problems that sorts itself out yknow :pac:

Really though, there will be barriers all around to stop people accidentally falling in. And once the centre closes, the pumps are shut off and water stops flowing. If scrotes throw something in - it's annoying, but it'll be fished out the next morning.

When it's running, there's generally enough kayakers/rafters on the course all the time to look after things. Thats how things are in similar centers anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I’ve brought so many friends from overseas to Grogans. On lovely Dublin summer days and wet horrible ones.

Result is always the same. Perfectly placed pub. Historic. Interesting characters and no end of people watching within and without.

It’s a solid win for anyone coming to Dublin.
    Interesting characters = Pissheads

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Edgware wrote: »
    Interesting characters = Pissheads

Harsh :)

Seeing this a lot last couple of days. Loads of streets closed down cos the farmers are up in arms. And people are loving the streets being car free

https://twitter.com/icrt_ireland/status/1199688252120272898?s=21

• Fritzbox wrote: »
    That doesn't stop Dublin being one of the most popular tourist cities in Europe. Why are there so many tourists in London and Paris if they are also so expensive?

Are you seriously comparing Dublin to Paris and London?

London was the third most visited city in the world in 2018. Paris was second. https://newsroom.mastercard.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/GDCI-Global-Report-FINAL1.pdf

There's infinitely more to do in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

Are you seriously comparing Dublin to Paris and London?

London was the third most visited city in the world in 2018. Paris was second. https://newsroom.mastercard.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/GDCI-Global-Report-FINAL1.pdf

There's infinitely more to do in both.

I am seriously comparing Dublin with those 2 cities - have you provided an answer to the question I set?

BTW, I never actually said there was more to see or do in Dublin compared to London or Paris - where did I say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Seeing this a lot last couple of days. Loads of streets closed down cos the farmers are up in arms. And people are loving the streets being car free

getting the cars out of the city would make a huge difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,314 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The context of the mumsnet forum has been lost on people here. Its a forum for people with young kids. I recently went into dublin pushing a buggy, and it was awful, narrow and able bodies in their 20s/30s wanted me to go off the kerb so they can get through. ill risk my baby so they can get through quicker and safer. gtf

there are a couple of nice playgrounds in the southside of the city, merrion square and st. stephens green, and the dead zoo. but nothing much else for kids. kids dont go into cafes or pubs or restaurants or shopping.

though this could be said for all cities, they are meant for people in their 20s/30s. id still rather bring a kid around dublin which isnt so big that you couldnt walk, rather than a kid on the london tube for example.

Was in London over the weekend... getting about with kids and buggies is no dreamland at all

Generally speaking I'd agree with you - city breaks are not for young children.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Harsh :)
    You are in the pub having a few quiet pints with friends when the local pisshead ( also known as a character) intrudes on your company with old drunken ****e talk.
    Are we supposed to enjoy this because he is a " salt of the earth"?

Edgware wrote: »
    You are in the pub having a few quiet pints with friends when the local pisshead ( also known as a character) intrudes on your company with old drunken ****e talk.
    Are we supposed to enjoy this because he is a " salt of the earth"?

That’s never happened me once in grogans to be fair. Or anywhere that I can think of. But I don’t have a local.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,635 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

LoganRice wrote: »
    There's some awful cities in England that are much worse than Dublin, like Bradford and Coventry. But there's also nice cities that are better than dublin in my opinion, like Bristol and Brighton. But Dublin is definitely more international than those two places.
    I'd probably go to Manchester or birmingham faster for shopping than dublin, though

Was in Coventry a few years back visiting a mate and had a few hours to kill before he finished work. The highlight of Coventry was the transport museum and the highlight of that was the open topped double decker bus used to parade the 1987 FA Cup winning Coventry football team.
    Soup and soda bread for 4.75. Try it some time :p

Thats pretty decent as Ive noticed places creeping up and up their prices on starters/small meals. Was in a restaurant a while back and the bowl of soup was 9 euro :eek:

That seems so wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

crap weather compared to where? southern europe?! good atmosphere in town, lots of history, gorgeous geographical setting. For a city its size, what the hell do people expect?! Its not London, NY or Paris!

It is pricey for british tourists in particular, with the weak sterling. Many areas of central dublin are still kips, but the amount of redevelopment that will take place over I'd say the next 5 years, is going to massively improve central dublin, the clerys redevelopment. Docklands ongoing. Guinness site. big development planned beside heuston station, some huge developments now planned for around north docks. irish glass bottle site. Then hopefully the surrounding areas are gentrified and spruced up...

The crap transport, isnt as big a deal for tourists as it would be for people living here, as they are usually staying centra-ish. No rail line to the airport is a disgrace! Dublin is a city if I were a visitor, that I would spend 2-3 nights in. Its not a L,P or NY where you could stay a week or more and constantly see amazing attractions...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

That’s never happened me once in grogans to be fair. Or anywhere that I can think of. But I don’t have a local.

It's only certain people who attract the attentions of these 'characters'. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

The problem with the city is that there’s a serious absence of civic pride,

I fully agree with this

The rubbish and general filth on the streets where I work (Foley St / Talbot St) is disgusting and embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I fully agree with this

The rubbish and general filth on the streets where I work (Foley St / Talbot St) is disgusting and embarrassing

I would agree about the civic pride thing. Dublin city council are a total disgrace! Tarmac surface across o'connell bridge for the footpath, for the last god knows how many years! with the insane amount tourism generates here, you think they could keep the place cleaner!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Idbatterim wrote: »
    ....with the insane amount tourism generates here, you think they could keep the place cleaner!

Or people could stop dumping their rubbish everywhere.

• Advertisement

The littering in the city is appalling. And constant. It’s weird though. You’ll see some streets with plenty of bins and others with none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Or people could stop dumping their rubbish everywhere.

It's chicken and egg situation though and the only way is for the authorities to keep the place clean and gradually most people will go with the flow and not litter.

But to start a turf war but you should see the area a radius of a mile or two around Croker after big GAA games.
    Our country cousins are pretty disgraceful when crimes to it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

But to start a turf war but you should see the area a radius of a mile or two around Croker after big GAA games.
    Our country cousins are pretty disgraceful when crimes to it too.

That area is always filthy, the locals put their rubbish out on the street as they wont pay for collections, then seagulls get at the bins, the wind etc...
    Dublin 1 is the most littered place in the capital if I recall some statistics published this year or last.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I would agree about the civic pride thing. Dublin city council are a total disgrace! Tarmac surface across o'connell bridge for the footpath, for the last god knows how many years! with the insane amount tourism generates here, you think they could keep the place cleaner!

It’s no mosaic that’s for sure. There’s a few laneways about that could do with with a new coat of tarmac but it seems it’s being reserved for only the finest thoroughfares

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Dublin, the pride of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭BakeMeACake

old_aussie wrote:

If you lived outside Dublin you might understand how Dublin has bled the rural communities dry as politicians continue to bleed Ireland for the sake of votes. Tiz somewhat sad but it's natural. There is no other way for it to work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭randomspud

old_aussie wrote: »

It's a national disgrace and the only people that defend it are the people who are deluded enough to pay a fortune to live in the utter kip.

A dismal kip with a few UK/US chainstores. Whoop-de-****ing-do.

• Everything beyond the Pale is real Ireland.

• Advertisement

If you lived outside Dublin you might understand how Dublin has bled the rural communities dry as politicians continue to bleed Ireland for the sake of votes. Tiz somewhat sad but it's natural. There is no other way for it to work

That’s absolute bollox I’m afraid. You really think ordinary Dubliners are somehow benefiting from bleeding rural communities? It just doesn’t happen like that. Get involved with your local council and find out the reality.

Ps read the effin thread you just posted in if you doubt me

Advertisement