Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty, dreary, expensive, nothing to do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Architecture , infrastructure , weather

Will the money change the weather so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Blame a mix of the Vikings, and brown-envelope lazy corner cutting planning, and a touch of nimbyism for the 1st two.

However the weather can always be 'jacked up' with either reflective geostationary orbit arrays (or via hillsides), to bounce back additional (free) sun rays.

Or winter instalments of secondary suns. An artist did it back in 2012
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/nelsons-brighter-outlook-artificial-sun-banishes-the-january-blues-in-square-7310668.html
    with an (small) instalation of 4million lumens, which left the the area with winter 'post-daylight' daylight up until 19:33hrs.

It can with Heliostatic systems.
    https://inhabitat.com/giant-sun-tracking-mirrors-bring-light-to-a-small-norwegian-town-during-dark-winters/
    Two town in Europe have already done this (on small scale) Viganella & Rjukan. Once it's installed, there is little running costs involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

I would hope climate change takes care of that .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I'd like to see some kind of study to see the effect any kind of artificial sun would have on mental health or reducing winter blues. Because that sun trafalgar square just looks really unsettling to me

Rathar than recreating the sun maybe some nice covered arcades could help to eliminate some of the issues of Dublin's windy and wet climate. I see down in the docklands a lot of the new developments are proposing elevated tunnels/links between buildings, which is interesting.

• Advertisement

Helioststic systems? Jaysus we can't even run a bus system ffs.

Dublin weather is grand. Get an umbrella and stop moaning.

wakka12 wrote: »
    I'd like to see some kind of study to see the effect any kind of artificial sun would have on mental health or reducing winter blues. Because that sun trafalgar square just looks really unsettling to me
    Scotland also had a go with the (art, proof of concept) instalation.
    https://www.paisley.org.uk/2018/10/its-a-scorcher-giant-sun-created-to-extend-the-summer/

Research (from intu) revealed that over two-thirds of people living in the UK (69 per cent) feel happier in the summer than they do in the winter, with sunshine (27 per cent), longer days (24 per cent), summer holidays (16 per cent) and more outdoor activity (15 per cent) the top reasons given. 80% say the much needed summer rays also make them feel healthier.

This a-sun project can only be done small scale, but generally feedback would be positive https://www.tate.org.uk/whats-on/tate-modern/exhibition/unilever-series/unilever-series-olafur-eliasson-weather-project-0-0
    It would require mountain arrays or orbital placement to be done properly.
    wakka12 wrote: »
    Rathar than recreating the sun maybe some nice covered arcades could help to eliminate some of the issues of Dublin's windy and wet climate. I see down in the docklands a lot of the new developments are proposing elevated tunnels/links between buildings, which is interesting.
    May as well just build underground, a bit like Montreal when their winter snowstorms brings things to a halt. Any type of tunnel will just reduce natural light, public traffic and air quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Now I know some will want to kill me right now, but I was in Malaga City a couple of weeks ago. Every morning at 6/7 am the street cleaners were out power washing the pavements. No litter, lovely streets, well maintained. Delightful place and right beside the sea/beach too.

Just the way the city council clean it up every day was a revelation, but I do realise Dublin is a Capital City. Surely that should mean it would be maintained to a similar if not better standard?

I always notice that abroad and especially Spain where you'll see huge clean up crews washing the streets at all hours of the morning. It gets done here too but nowhere near to the same extent. Also DCC here dont seem to enforce any kind of powerwashing of buildings on city centre landlords. Take a walk down Dame Street and look up at the buildings, they are caked in years worth of road dust and grime. There seems to be an attitude that the rain will wash it away but thats not how it works. Same goes for the Liffey walls, absolutely caked in road dust and never cleaned. A few years back someone got a stencil on the Liffey wall oppositie DCC offices on Wood Quay and stencilled onto it 'Clean Me' and the wall came up almost white compared to the black grime on the rest of it. DCCs just rubbed the letters away and didnt actually clean the wall despite him showing how manky it was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

So, have a I got this right, a few flashy buildings and a metro would elevate Dublin in your eyes to being a world-class city?!

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Much improved public transport and modern multi purpose high rise residential/commercial buildings would be a start. Build up in the docklands and people could actually walk to work instead of having to travel from Mullingar or Portloaise.

Wrong thread. This one’s about the touristic experience of Dublin, to which high-rise in the Docklands and a metro would make zero difference.

So, have a I got this right, a few flashy buildings and a metro would elevate Dublin in your eyes to being a world-class city?!

Wrong thread. This one’s about the touristic experience of Dublin, to which high-rise in the Docklands and a metro would make zero difference.

Not even zero difference, it might make things worse, tourists don't come to Dublin to see a hyper modern financial district and high rise luxury apartments.

Honest to Christ what planet are some people on thinking that's what would make the city better for tourists?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I think a significant amount of the "Dublin is a kip" merchants , don't know Dublin.
    It is a kip. Bad planning and successive government's policy of getting more and more cars on the roads to bring in revenue has turned Dublin into a ****hole. I heard on the radio one morning during the week that the M50 'was in tatters'.
    I was on the 16 bus into town recently which was full of tourists and I was genuinely embarrassed as the bus moved at about 1kmph or not at all at times!
    More than 25m passengers travel through Dublin Airport per annum but it seems it isn't enough to justify a rail link, interesting that there never a shortage of funds to get more cars on the roads, I believe the M11 'upgrade' is the latest white elephant ......more cars=more tolls I presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Dublins a ****e hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Nah, not dealing with you again.

Wise decision, you haven't a notion what you're talking about when it comes to your capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,850 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Wise decision, you haven't a notion what you're talking about when it comes to your capital.

And you like to make assumptions and think Dublin is just ****ing fantastic and every opinion to the contrary is wrong, so no point trying to converse with you.

And you like to make assumptions and think Dublin is just ****ing fantastic and every opinion to the contrary is wrong, so no point trying to converse with you.

You flat out refused to believe there was good value for food in the city.

I came back with three very different style of foods available at incredible value in Dublin with prices, areas and deals... So you decide "not to deal" with me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I dislike the typical people of Dublin due to many negative experiences

You've frequently made mention of having resigned from AGS.

Are your experiences of 'the typical people of Dublin'...:confused:... coloured by a stint on a regular unit on the streets of the fair city?

You flat out refused to believe there was good value for food in the city.

I came back with three very different style of foods available at incredible value in Dublin with prices, areas and deals... So you decide "not to deal" with me :rolleyes:

I decided not to deal with you because you made assumption after assumption, all negative towards me, and wouldn't accept my opinion. I didn't see the prices comparison post, but I didn't care at that stage as trying to discuss this with you is pointless, because you're over defensive about a city and refuse to take other people at their word. Why bother...
    Yamanoto wrote: »
    You've frequently made mention of having resigned from AGS.

Are your experiences of 'the typical people of Dublin' (:confused:) coloured by a stint on a regular unit on the streets of the fair city?

No, thankfully didn't have to go anywhere near there, spent my entire service down south and thankful for it. Every Garda to come out of Dublin having served a stint there, unless they were a Dub themselves, hated it. I most likely would have quit on the spot if I was sent to Dublin, and it was the only request I had in Templemore when they were sorting the stations (not that it guaranteed I wouldn't get it). But any Dubs I ended up dealing with outside of Dublin as a Garda, was a dirtbag, but again, Gardai rarely deal with the nice people.

My experiences I referred to were in relation to visiting Dublin, bar staff, waiting staff, parking staff, all have a holier than thou attitude. Just my experience, but if you want to listen to John above, my opinion based on personal experiences is wrong.

I decided not to deal with you because you made assumption after assumption, all negative towards me, and wouldn't accept my opinion. I didn't see the prices comparison post, but I didn't care at that stage as trying to discuss this with you is pointless, because you're over defensive about a city and refuse to take other people at their word. Why bother...

Very interesting. Put your money where your mouth is, get off the internet, try the food. Get back to me. ;)

Very interesting. Put your money where your mouth is, get off the internet, try the food. Get back to me. ;)

No thanks, no plans to go back there at all. Only reason I go there is for work or for a gig, unless the same band are playing in Cork. Plenty of nice places down here with friendly, customer focused staff.

No thanks, no plans to go back there at all. Only reason I go there is for work or for a gig, unless the same band are playing in Cork. Plenty of nice places down here with friendly, customer focused staff.

Lol! You demand evidence of value food in the city, it's presented to you, but you get the hump, throw your toys out of the pram and refuse to try the food!! :confused:

• Advertisement

Lol! You demand evidence of value food in the city, it's presented to you, but you get the hump, throw your toys out of the pram and refuse to try the food!! :confused:

Can you link me that post? I honestly have not seen it, or can't recall it if I have. I got the hump because of your insistence that I was in the wrong, hungover, in a mood, etc. Even after I clarified you continued, so why would I continue? And I'm not refusing the try the food, I'm just not going back to Dublin anytime soon, or ever preferably. If you link me the post, I'll try to remember if I ever have to go up there again and try it.

You do know that you can also get good food outside of Dublin though, yeah?

Can you link me that post? I honestly have not seen it, or can't recall it if I have.

It's on this thread... here.
    If you head down to the Capel st. area there are plenty of restaurants that can't be beaten for price. Good, fresh, healthy food for next to nothing. Myself and my little boy ate for under €12 in one of them.

Also, there's a burgeoning early bird and pre-theatre menu scene in the city. The competition is rife and restaurants have exceptional offers with various course combos, some offering three courses of high quality food for under €30.

There's also a oversized tapas scene popping up around the city. I think it started in Market Bar where large plates of meatballs, meats & cheeses, olives, chicken and chorizo skewers, prawn skewers are on offer for exceptionally good value made even better by sharing the keener priced larger plates. Two people can eat for around €20.
    You do know that you can also get good food outside of Dublin though, yeah?

Yes, we travel the country all year round, food is a huge part of our lifestyle and important to us. The last places we tried were Stoked and Knox in Sligo, before that we were in Barrtra in Clare. All excellent, in January we're heading to Cork, we already have restaurants booked. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

My experiences I referred to were in relation to visiting Dublin, bar staff, waiting staff, parking staff, all have a holier than thou attitude. Just my experience...

My brother in law, a fairly successful Wexford businessman, has always viewed visiting Dublin as like going into battle. I think he perceives those he meets as looking down on him because of his accent, his clothes, his politics, what he may opt for on a menu and maybe just his general outlook on life.

I'm not saying this applies to yourself, but there are many from beyond the pale who carry a bit of an inferiority complex, bordering on neurosis with them into the capital. They drive up the quays and along Dorset St to Jones's Rd and straight back home after the game, declaring the place a cesspit with all the charm of a Grozny or Mogadishu.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Wierd for British people to say this. Outside of London, British cities are empty at 6pm and there is literally nothing at all to do there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

One thing that I've seen is that some people (but definitely not all) from the UK find a bit challenging is that our museums and visitor centres that deal with our 18th and 19th century history tend to be a bit of a cold, hard culture shock, if you're used to seeing that era exclusively from a British perspective. All of a sudden you're being faced with the grim reality of a famine and the independence movement that struggled against your governments' predecessors.

If you're French or German or American it's just interesting, but not personal. If you're English it's a little jarring, especially if you've had little awareness of the history.

I've just noticed this a few times with English friends of mine who've visited and wouldn't have much knowledge of Ireland or historical Anglo Irish relations.

It's on this thread... here.

Thank you. And not to prove a point, but most 3 course meals down here are under €25, with some as low as €17.50 (food type dependent, ie: Asian cuisine is generally cheaper). The quality and enjoyment is a personal preference, for example I cannot stand Angus beef and most people seem to like it (horrible aftertaste imo). So still, imo, more expensive. But thanks again for re-answering it.
    Yamanoto wrote: »
    I'm not saying this applies to yourself, but there are many from beyond the pale who carry a bit of an inferiority complex, bordering on neurosis with them into the capital. They drive up the quays and along Dorset St to Jones's Rd and straight back home after the game, declaring the place a cesspit with all the charm of a Grozny or Mogadishu.

I did, at one stage in my early 20's, have that, but I grew out of it fairly soon. And maybe, actually most likely, my negative previous experiences have given me a view of the place which I cannot forget, and may lead to me not giving it a chance, but I'm very open to trying things, and I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to service. Problem is, I've given the place many chances and always been let down, usually by the service.

So while my recent trips have been short, in and out as quickly as possible, I'm possibly not giving it a chance anymore, but it's like a bad relationship, sometimes you just have to cut and run, and that's what I've done. By my opinions are still valid, as they are based on previous experiences of Dublin City and Dublin people. Not all people mind, there was 1 or 2 I worked with who were ok in small doses, but still had the superiority complex of being from the Capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

cgcsb wrote: »
    Wierd for British people to say this. Outside of London, British cities are empty at 6pm and there is literally nothing at all to do there.

And most are the grimmest urban areas europe has to offer , like by far, maybe until you hit the russian border. Actually, I used to assume Dublin's popularity with British tourists was because of this very reason, because it being so close and really a lot nicer than most British cities apart from Edinburgh and London. Anyway I wonder if the enormous amount of construction going on in Dublin is affecting these ratings? Not very pleasant always being around construction sites imo. Must be at least a few dozen active large ones across the city centre at any one time nowadays

Thank you. And not to prove a point, but most 3 course meals down here are under €25, with some as low as €17.50 (food type dependent, ie: Asian cuisine is generally cheaper). The quality and enjoyment is a personal preference, for example I cannot stand Angus beef and most people seem to like it (horrible aftertaste imo). So still, imo, more expensive. But thanks again for re-answering it.

Cool, where are you and what's the name of the restaurants? I'll look them up, if they look like they're worth it I'll take a trip.

Cool, where are you and what's the name of the restaurants? I'll look them up, if they look like they're worth it I'll take a trip.

Limerick.

Marco Polo: €25 for 3 course (heard it's nice, but not my style of restaurant)
    Chocolat: €17.50 for early bird 3 course (Mon-Sun 5pm-7pm)
    Freddys Bistro: €25 pre 7.30pm (€29.99 after)
    Jasmine Palace: €17.50

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Worst decision ever made was letting the legion of Mary close down the monto

Had it been left alone to evolve that whole area around talbot st would have thrived and been a huge tourist attraction by now as with Amsterdams red light district. The thing that put that city on the map initially and it’s grown and evolved past that.

Advertisement