Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty, dreary, expensive, nothing to do

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

And the reason most cars drive to town these days is because they can, not because they need to. People just didn't have cars back then.

Here’s that clip. It’s lovely. And it actually mid 60s. Place looks spotless
    https://www.facebook.com/nolancoaches/videos/1738009353128728?sfns=mo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Here’s that clip. It’s lovely. And it actually mid 60s. Place looks spotless
    https://www.facebook.com/nolancoaches/videos/1738009353128728?sfns=mo

Wow, weird seeing the place with no cars. I was thinking of another video which is footage from a car driving around dame st, O'Connell etc. Lots of cyclists everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't think Warsaw or Budapest were ever poorer than us. Budapest of the mighty Austro-Hungarian empire? Simply walking about these cities makes you realise they were absolutely minted at some stage in history. Dublin was always a run down kip in a lot of parts!

Budapest is one of my favourite cities to visit but traffic there is pretty annoying too. I wouldn't make it an example of great traffic management but there are some lovely pedestrianised areas around the banks of Danube. I don't think architecture in Dublin is the problem and there are plenty of drab areas in Budapest (you come accross more if you drive to the city). I think the narrow Dublin streets are often used as an excuse that nothing can be done.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Budapest is one of my favourite cities to visit but traffic there is pretty annoying too. I wouldn't make it an example of great traffic management but there are some lovely pedestrianised areas around the banks of Danube. I don't think architecture in Dublin is the problem and there are plenty of drab areas in Budapest (you come accross more if you drive to the city). I think the narrow Dublin streets are often used as an excuse that nothing can be done.

Funnily enough I find Dublin to be beautiful if you look up past the ground level and what’s going on above. Sunlight chambers on the corner of capel st bridge parliament st a great example. Or the mad purple roof on top of the gay spar on dame st/George’s st. Kind of Art Deco. And George’s arcade. Loads of cool tuff if you lift your gaze

Ive heard this a few times but whats so gay about that spar?

• Advertisement

Ive heard this a few times but whats so gay about that spar?

Ah it’s just what we call it. It was gay centra across the road was the go to butt when spar opened it was way bigger and nicer it took over.

Go to do food after the George which I right next door.

*gay spar had its own twitter account. Very very funny. Might still be there.

Is it full of gays after the george closes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I don't think Warsaw or Budapest were ever poorer than us.

They're poorer than us right now! During the Cold War era and its aftermath they were significantly poorer than us.

I should say I lived in Budapest for a year in 2004-5 so would have very fond memories of the place, and particularly of its public transport, which was very ramshackle but also comprehensive. As meeeh says above, the traffic isn't perfect there, but honestly I would say I sat in a car in Budapest about three times the whole time I lived there, you don't need one to get around there.

Is it full of gays after the george closes?

Absolutely!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

So was in town today .

Was looking with eyes open in the context of this thread .

I have not been in town much over last few years.

But the rate of change is incredible.

Was around grafton street area. Dart in so perfect that way.

First off, Monday , amazing how much busier Dublin is with the combination of economy and even tourism / students and building.

The area is stunning, but I've noticed how far more upmarket it has all become.

The likes of The Ivy and other eateries wouldn't look out of place in New York.

There is a mix of art galleries, smaller coffee shops , but you'd fear for these places as rents in area, are upward only and insane.

Fantastic lunch , bought a picture. But sad to say Grafton street area is kind of out of even a middle class existence these days .

But that is the case in most great cities in world (in parts).

There is a bit of sadness in that , because nowhere in dublin was like that before, even 5 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 143 ✭✭Ready4Boarding

But sad to say Grafton street area is kind of out of even a middle class existence these days.

There is a bit of sadness in that , because nowhere in dublin was like that before, even 5 years ago.

I don’t really share your experience. Also was around Grafton today. Had lunch in Fallon and Byrne for a fiver. Tagged along with my sister to Lush and George’s Street Arcade. Had a look in the Secret Bookshop. Pizza in Gotham in South Anne’s Street for eleven euro. You make it sound, though, like Knightsbridge.

I don’t really share your experience. Also was around Grafton today. Had lunch in Fallon and Byrne for a fiver. Tagged along with my sister to Lush and George’s Street Arcade. Had a look in the Secret Bookshop. Pizza in Gotham in South Anne’s Street for eleven euro. You make it sound, though, like Knightsbridge.

Lunch in famine and Byrne for a fiver?

All due respect you are taking the piss now

Soup and soda bread for 4.75. Try it some time :p

Soup and soda bread for 4.75. Try it some time :p

This Is one occasion I Wish someone took a pic of their meal :)

This Is one occasion I Wish someone took a pic of their meal :)

I would normally frame the price tag out of shot, though!

Theres a deli counter they prob mean soup from there

I accept it isn't there yet but my lunch was 120 with 3 glasses of wine . The Pigs Ear , good food. But would be 25 euro in San Sebastian.

Yes there is variety around that area, but if you go anywhere with table service. It is big money and 10 euro a drink. Gin and tonic in cafe en seine would be interesting ?

The place has gone up another level in cost imo.
    Even the old Shelbourne 20 years ago, you could go in and get a drink no big deal. I'd be afraid to even walk in there now. Would you get in ?

Simons place in George’s st arcade is the only place to go for amazing lunch. Soup and sandwiches are untouchable and delicious and it’s an independent business owned by Simon. Not some millionaire living in Britain.

Simons place in George’s st arcade is the only place to go for amazing lunch. Soup and sandwiches are untouchable and delicious and it’s an independent business owned by Simon. Not some millionaire living in Britain.

Must check it out, its hard to find decent soup at lunch. I love Umi Falafel in the Arcade.

I accept it isn't there yet but my lunch was 120 with 3 glasses of wine . The Pigs Ear , good food. But would be 25 euro in San Sebastian.

Yes there is variety around that area, but if you go anywhere with table service. It is big money and 10 euro a drink. Gin and tonic in cafe en seine would be interesting ?

The place has gone up another level in cost imo.
    Even the old Shelbourne 20 years ago, you could go in and get a drink no big deal. I'd be afraid to even walk in there now. Would you get in ?

Right, well, that would be very much outside of my range as a student! I've heard about lifestyle inflation, whereby you're compelled to pay more and more for (nominally) the same things as you and your peer group earn more, but for the moment I'm quite content eating in the various burger and curry places around there for less than fifteen euro and drinking in places like Market Bar at normal prices.

• Advertisement

Right, well, that would be very much outside of my range as a student! I've heard about lifestyle inflation, whereby you're compelled to pay more and more for (nominally) the same things as you and your peer group earn more, but for the moment I'm quite content eating in the various burger and curry places around there for less than fifteen euro and drinking in places like Market Bar at normal prices.

Ok we are not talking about the same thing.

But , no mistaking it , the general area has gone incredibly up market.

And I'm talking even in a short enough time frame.

Must check it out, its hard to find decent soup at lunch. I love Umi Falafel in the Arcade.

Simons place is in the arcade and on the street. Beside the GameStop that used to be laser video.
    George’s st end.

It’s such a lovely spot. Such a varied interesting clientele too. Real characters. And nowhere better for people watching.

3b917e766e18add3c6bd9b9695cee940.jpg

Simons place is in the arcade and on the street. Beside the GameStop that used to be laser video.
    George’s st end.

It’s such a lovely spot. Such a varied interesting clientele too. Real characters. And nowhere better for people watching.

3b917e766e18add3c6bd9b9695cee940.jpg

And if you get bored of there, Fallon and Byrne do a great soup and soda bread for 4.75 :p

I know which of those I would pick but I don’t have insufferable notions. Thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Archeron

In that same georges arcade, for ten euro you can get enough fudge to fill two people for lunch.
    You might want to really like fudge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I like the George's Street Arcade - Stokes Books is my regular call and then on to Grogan's Pub for art and a pint or Kehoe's (Sth.Anne Street) for a pint and a toasted ham and cheese - 70s style in burnt on polythene. Dublin can be heaven or a dirty kip, depends on the day. :D

Del.Monte wrote: »
    I like the George's Street Arcade - Stokes Books is my regular call and then on to Grogan's Pub for art and a pint or Kehoe's (Sth.Anne Street) for a pint and a toasted ham and cheese - 70s style in burnt on polythene. Dublin can be heaven or a dirty kip, depends on the day. :D

I’ve brought so many friends from overseas to Grogans. On lovely Dublin summer days and wet horrible ones.

Result is always the same. Perfectly placed pub. Historic. Interesting characters and no end of people watching within and without.

It’s a solid win for anyone coming to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Dublin is a nice, bustling city with lots of tourists and attractions. It isn't the biggest city or the greatest city but it's a good, solid european city.
    There's some awful cities in England that are much worse than Dublin, like Bradford and Coventry. But there's also nice cities that are better than dublin in my opinion, like Bristol and Brighton. But Dublin is definitely more international than those two places.
    I'd probably go to Manchester or birmingham faster for shopping than dublin, though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Always been a bit poncey though

A place to be seen by legends in their own lunchtime

• Advertisement

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Always been a bit poncey though

A place to be seen by legends in their own lunchtime

Really? It’s mostly older people when I go in. All really eccentric or something.

Advertisement