Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisa Smith home.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

it's no different to any religion and it's followers.
    every religion has the rules and regulations that actual believers must follow as part of practicing it. some won't have as many rules of course.

Fascinating.

:rolleyes:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

tuxy wrote: »
    If who don't charge her?
    What country is she a citizen of?

Ireland obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,342 ✭✭✭jmreire

it's no different to any religion and it's followers.
    every religion has the rules and regulations that actual believers must follow as part of practicing it. some won't have as many rules of course.

No its not the same....no other religion enforces itself on it's believer's in the same way Islam does. Other religions do not take leaving or not attending its meetings as harshly as Islam doe's...Miss Sunday Mass / Service's etc. here in Ireland? no problem...it's between you and God. Miss a few prayer day's at the Mosque, and questions will definitely be asked. Some one in the workplace notice's you don't have your prayer mat with you, or ar not performing the ablutions before prayers... You will be asked, is there a problem..... And strange as it may seem...this is the "Glue" ( for want of a better word) that binds all Muslims together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

jmreire wrote: »
    No its not the same....no other religion enforces itself on it's believer's in the same way Islam does. Other religions do not take leaving or not attending its meetings as harshly as Islam doe's...Miss Sunday Mass / Service's etc. here in Ireland? no problem...it's between you and God. Miss a few prayer day's at the Mosque, and questions will definitely be asked. Some one in the workplace notice's you don't have your prayer mat with you, or ar not performing the ablutions before prayers... You will be asked, is there a problem..... And strange as it may seem...this is the "Glue" ( for want of a better word) that binds all Muslims together.

Yeah, you're right. For extremists. I have worked and played sport with a good few muslims, some of who were more strict than others and have never seen anything like that, not have they ever mentioned anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Go to Savile Town and put stickers on the lamp-posts there 'You Are Entering a Catechism Controlled Zone - Christian Law Enforced'...

... the difference will become apparent. Rapid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Not trying to be contrary but i have worked with allot of people from multiple religions. Generally there is no difference between the religions from the perspective of people who are more committed and regular/moderate attendees.

In the west the more committed devotee comes to mind perhaps because they are so different compared to our way of life but not all of the Islam relgion is hardline.

I lived in a Muslim country for 18 months & never saw it heard of anything like that.
    So, while that may be true in some countries, it's not true of all followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    “So Lisa, Graham Dwyer is single, would you like to go on First Dates with him?”

They'd be a great match.
    She'd bate the BDSM head off him and he'd love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Wonder if she had a filthy fry up when she got back?. Rashers, sausages, pudding the works. That's usually my number 1 when returning home

More likely to have a bowl of Teethabix

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Limpy wrote: »
    Send her back to Syria with her kid. If they don't charge her and she's married one of her husband's could try come over to her.

that is not possible as the syrians do not want her, and that is their right.
    if we sent her back she would be deported straight away, so we would have wasted money for absolutely nothing.

to be fair while islam may be the strictest in terms of enforcement and regulation, it is the case that all religions have regulations on how people must live their life and practice the religion.
    regulations as i said will differ and be strict or not so depending on the religion.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

To answer some of reply's to my post about Islam being not like any other religion, as above.
    First, I have personal experience of all that I have mentioned. And to each of you who have commented on it, in your own way, each of you are right too. If that seems like a contradiction in itself, that's because Islam itself is contradictory, Hard core isis type Muslims exist,as do muslims that I have drank with, and eaten pork with. Some of my best friends are muslims, and I am very happy about that. And this is the problem....not all Muslims are hard line murderous barbarians, but some are, and as we have seen with isis and Al-Qaeda, they definitely exist. At the middle of the scale, there are the majority of Muslims who are devout follower's of Islam, and just trying to get on with their Live's as best they can. Then at the other end of the scale, there is the 3rd kind,,,their adherence to the Muslim Religion can only be described as " Flexible", but nonetheless they are proud to identify themselves as Muslims. The Country's they come from will have great bearing on what kind of Muslim they are'
    So Pablo128, Calhoun and Bubblypop, in all the personal experience's you have quoted above, which kind of Muslim did you interact with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭Field east

bubblypop wrote: »
    I lived in a Muslim country for 18 months & never saw it heard of anything like that.
    So, while that may be true in some countries, it's not true of all followers.

Anyone know how a Muslim who co;vert to the Christian faith would be treated in a Muslim country?

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

christopher hitchens, come back.
    We need you

Field east wrote: »
    Anyone know how a Muslim who co;vert to the Christian faith would be treated in a Muslim country?

It will depend on which Country he is living in....the more western, the greater the chance of changing....the nearer you get to the middle east / Afghanistan / Saudi, or any other hard line Islamic Country, the more dangerous it will be to convert.

Go to Savile Town and put stickers on the lamp-posts there 'You Are Entering a Catechism Controlled Zone - Christian Law Enforced'...

... the difference will become apparent. Rapid.

WOW..... I just googled it. Put Christian poster's on it???? I would not even drive through it........:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

So Pablo128, Calhoun and Bubblypop, in all the personal experience's you have quoted above, which kind of Muslim did you interact with?

All of them I knew observed Ramadan, and avoided pork and that. Some of them would have had a very occasional drink.

In the words of one lad, "the Koran forbids us to drink alcohol, but it says fcuk all about marijuana!" :pac:

pablo128 wrote: »
    All of them I knew observed Ramadan, and avoided pork and that. Some of them would have had a very occasional drink.

In the words of one lad, "the Koran forbids us to drink alcohol, but it says fcuk all about marijuana!" :pac:

:D:D:D:D. Yes and that's true of a lot of them.What they will do on the street, and in public and how they will behave behind the locked doors of their own home's is often two very different thing's. And the same goes for burkha / Hijab clad women, once they are inside their own home's. They will literally fling the bourkha off, Friend of mine was telling me about a brother of hers who was a Bosnian soldier during the balkan war, and he was sitting in his tent with a few fellow Bosnian friends, drinking beer, Then a "Muhajireen" from Saudi Arabia entered the tent and started to lecture them about drinking the forbidden alcohol..he got really excited about it until the Bosnians caught him and physically " Ejected" him from the tent, with graphic instruction's as to what would happen to him if he ever entered it again. So there you have two different types of Muslim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

pablo128 wrote: »

It's true that it's not in the quran but the prophet Muhammad said all intoxicants are haram. I don't know any Muslim that does not follow the teachings of Muhammad.

I've house shared with a few Muslims, some are very strict the others admitted they were not really Muslims and were only keeping up the pretence enough to keep their parents happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Rukmini Callimachi, New York Times ISIS correspondent, has her say about Smith's claim that she wasn't a member of ISIS.

https://twitter.com/rcallimachi/status/1201651472200540161?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Man traumatised for life after giving up seat for Lisa Smith. She shockingly didn't go to the toilet the whole flight.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/man-flight-brought-isis-bride-17347047.amp

(He did get an alternative seat)

• Advertisement

Man traumatised for life after giving up seat for Lisa Smith. She shockingly didn't go to the toilet the whole flight.

https://www.dublinlive.ie/news/dublin-news/man-flight-brought-isis-bride-17347047.amp

(He did get an alternative seat)

“piercing blue eyes” :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Just wondering, if someone in the know can answer this

1) I presume the child has both Irish / Syrian citizenship.
    If we revoked the child's Irish citizenship, as UK did in the begum case, would that have deterred her to stay away.

2) if it is found there is no way we can jail her ( I honestly cannot see this happening) would it not be feasable for the state to have her committed to a secure psych facility. I think it's blatantly obvious she is severely mentally ill.
    3) I presume the child can be removed from her care due to huge safeguarding issues.

If we revoked the child's Irish citizenship, as UK did in the begum case, would that have deterred her to stay away.

2) if it is found there is no way we can jail her ( I honestly cannot see this happening) would it not be feasable for the state to have her committed to a secure psych facility. I think it's blatantly obvious she is severely mentally ill.
    3) I presume the child can be removed from her care due to huge safeguarding issues.

You would be wrong as the child was born in an occupied territory of their country so it makes it very complicated. But even if it wasn't it's the fathers nationality that counts not place of birth under Syrian law.
    It may have been possible to make it difficult for Turkey to deport the child but we could not stop them deporting Lisa. If it came to it I doubt Turkey would really care if mother and child were separated but would have applied a large amount of pressure on us to take the child too. Also the UN would not be impressed if we allowed a child to be separated from their mother, an Irish citizen under such dangerous circumstances.

If she was to threaten to do harm to others it may be possible to section her until she no longer makes such claims.
    Do you expect her to announce such intentions?

It is possible that the child will be in the care of a relative for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

1. revoking the child's irish citizenship may have deterred her from wanting to come back possibly, but we can probably never know for sure. however, it wouldn't have actually prevented her from doing so, as all powers in the area where she was originally wanted her gone, and the turks once they took her wanted her gone and decided to deport her, as they have a right to do so.
    2. it is hard to say for definit either way. if it could be proved that she actually does have a mental illness and that is the reason for her holding the views she does, or she makes threats to harm herself or others, then she could be sectioned i would imagine. however one can't be sectioned for holding barmy or barbaric views, and i think realistically lisa does genuinely believe in the isis cause rather then having a mental illness.
    3. yes the child can be removed from her care, and has been, the child is now in the care of a relative and tusla are involved and monitering the situation.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Anybody that joins a group like ISIS has mental health issues. It is not a mitigating factor.

:. So there you have two different types of Muslim

Which would, I suggest, prove that it is just a religion, same as any other. Some followers take it to extremes, some are more relaxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

bubblypop wrote: »
    Which would, I suggest, prove that it is just a religion, same as any other. Some followers take it to extremes, some are more relaxed.

Why don't we see any Christian's slaughtering innocent people in the name of jesus or whatever. Islam isn't the same as any other religion

• Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

US2 wrote: »
    Why don't we see any Christian's slaughtering innocent people in the name of jesus

Because you're ignorant of history?

US2 wrote: »
    Why don't we see any Christian's slaughtering innocent people in the name of jesus or whatever. Islam isn't the same as any other religion

Of course there has been.
    You do understand all Muslim's are not terrorists right?
    Same as all Irish Catholics are not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

tuxy wrote: »
    You would be wrong as the child was born in an occupied territory of their country so it makes it very complicated. But even if it wasn't it's the fathers nationality that counts not

If she was to threaten to do harm to others it may be possible to section her until she no longer makes such claims.
    Do you expect her to announce such intentions?

I wouldn't expect her to announce it, however with MH issues, behavior not what people are saying, is often the only sign. She is clearly a danger to herself not others.

It is possible that the child will be in the care of a relative for the foreseeable future.
    I should have elaborated, I meant on a permenant basis and have her parental responsibility removed. I think her past behaviour shows the child is clearly at risk from her.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement