Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisa Smith home.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Shes refusing to answer garda questions according to Newstalk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

1. revoking the child's irish citizenship may have deterred her from wanting to come back possibly, but we can probably never know for sure. however, it wouldn't have actually prevented her from doing so, as all powers in the area where she was originally wanted her gone, and the turks once they took her wanted her gone and decided to deport her, as they have a right to do so.

I think the Begum case is confusing a lot of people on this issue.

2. it is hard to say for definit either way. if it could be proved that she actually does have a mental illness and that is the reason for her holding the views she does, or she makes threats to harm herself or others, then she could be sectioned i would imagine. however one can't be sectioned for holding barmy or barbaric views, and i think realistically lisa does genuinely believe in the isis cause rather then having a mental illness.

She did go to extreme lengths to get there. I believe her marriages show that. It's a tough one but I think it could be a way for them to detain her if they can't, which I believe they can't, imprison her.

3. yes the child can be removed from her care, and has been, the child is now in the care of a relative and tusla are involved and monitering the situation.
    I honestly believe her parental responsibility should be removed, she is a danger to the child not only physically but emotionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If we revoked the child's Irish citizenship, as UK did in the begum case, would that have deterred her to stay away.
    Irish citizenship by birth cannot be revoked. It's a constitutional obligation with no mechanism to deny it.
    2) if it is found there is no way we can jail her ( I honestly cannot see this happening) would it not be feasable for the state to have her committed to a secure psych facility. I think it's blatantly obvious she is severely mentally ill.
    There is a process for confining someone to an institution if they are not of sound mind and present a danger to themselves or others.

She may be of sound mind though. And it may not be possible to prosecute her. In which case she has to be set free.

Doesn't preclude the Gardai from monitoring her though.
    3) I presume the child can be removed from her care due to huge safeguarding issues.
    If it's deemed necessary.

1. revoking the child's irish citizenship may have deterred her from wanting to come back possibly, but we can probably never know for sure. however, it wouldn't have actually prevented her from doing so, as all powers in the area where she was originally wanted her gone, and the turks once they took her wanted her gone and decided to deport her, as they have a right to do so.

Is everyone ok about Turkey’s part in this? They invaded Syria, told the Kurds who have always lived there to piss off. Whilst this was going on prisoners in the camps escaped. Then Turkey started to blackmail the world by threatening to release isis members into Europe enmasse IF countries didn’t take their citizens back.

Who made Turkey the world police?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,747 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

That would be The Donald.

• Advertisement

Boggles wrote: »
    That would be The Donald.

Sounds like it was planned out to happen like this before the orange man gave the order for his troops to leave.

How’s the American that was stuck between the border of turkey and Greece doing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

tuxy wrote: »
    It's true that it's not in the quran but the prophet Muhammad said all intoxicants are haram. I don't know any Muslim that does not follow the teachings of Muhammad.

I've house shared with a few Muslims, some are very strict the others admitted they were not really Muslims and were only keeping up the pretence enough to keep their parents happy.

Plenty of Muslim people drink alcohol. I asked one of my Muslim colleagues and his take is that If there is no prohibition in the Quran, it does not matter.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Is everyone ok about Turkey’s part in this? They invaded Syria, told the Kurds who have always lived there to piss off. Whilst this was going on prisoners in the camps escaped. Then Turkey started to blackmail the world by threatening to release isis members into Europe enmasse IF countries didn’t take their citizens back.

The fact that the Turkish Armed Forces is the second largest in NATO, plus its geopolitical status in the area.

Sounds like it was planned out to happen like this before the orange man gave the order for his troops to leave.

It couldn't happen without permission is the point.

The Donald gave it over a Sunday phone call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Not OK with their behaviour at all. I think the EU should also put an end to their potential membership

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not OK with their behaviour at all. I think the EU should also put an end to their potential membership
    It is effectively ended.

The EU would never "end" a country's accession process except if the country itself withdrew it. Governments change, countries change. There's a whole process and a series of checkpoints to reach in order to become an EU member. So there's no need for the EU to ever end the process, because a country will not become a member while they're not in compliance with the requirements.

Turkey have been effectively trying to join the EU since the 1960s. But they can't cobble together a government that isn't corrupt warmongers for more than a couple of years, so the process always ends up on the shelf.

Right now, nothing is happening. Nobody in the EU or Turkey is working on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Turkey is an awful country with disgusting human rights records. Despite what the pro brexit lobby groups said Turkey has no change of joining the EU. Negotiations are 30 years old and at a complete standstill with Turkey making no effort to meet any of the requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Field east

Just wondering, if someone in the know can answer this

1) I presume the child has both Irish / Syrian citizenship.
    If we revoked the child's Irish citizenship, as UK did in the begum case, would that have deterred her to stay away.

2) if it is found there is no way we can jail her ( I honestly cannot see this happening) would it not be feasable for the state to have her committed to a secure psych facility. I think it's blatantly obvious she is severely mentally ill.
    3) I presume the child can be removed from her care due to huge safeguarding issues.
    There were apparently 4 relationships/ marriages. Do we know which one fathered the child and do we know if the mother requested an Irish passport. If she left the Irish nation because she did not feel ‘comfortable’ in it - being moslim- I fail to see why she would want an Irish passport for her daughter. Would the child have a right to have a passport for the country in which she was born. So there are a number of opportunities re applying for a passport for the child outside of Ireland that should be much more suited to the mothers beliefs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I honestly believe her parental responsibility should be removed, she is a danger to the child not only physically but emotionally.

Meh. There's parent all over the country that shouldn't be looking after their own kids. Maybe start with them?

Field east wrote: »
    There were apparently 4 relationships/ marriages. Do we know which one fathered the child and do we know if the mother requested an Irish passport. If she left the Irish nation because she did not feel ‘comfortable’ in it - being moslim- I fail to see why she would want an Irish passport for her daughter. Would the child have a right to have a passport for the country in which she was born. So there are a number of opportunities re applying for a passport for the child outside of Ireland that should be much more suited to the mothers beliefs

I covered this, born in an area of Syria that was occupied by the Kurds who do not have their own state. Syrian citizenship is based on the nationality of the father not place of birth. You will need to be more clear on what options you are talking about because I don't see any.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Field east

jmreire wrote: »
    It will depend on which Country he is living in....the more western, the greater the chance of changing....the nearer you get to the middle east / Afghanistan / Saudi, or any other hard line Islamic Country, the more dangerous it will be to convert.

Would also depend on whether it is a man or a woman and their status in society

US2 wrote: »
    Why don't we see any Christian's slaughtering innocent people in the name of jesus or whatever. Islam isn't the same as any other religion

We do. All the time.

This is the first one I could think of off the top of my head.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord%27s_Resistance_Army

But seriously, have you ever read a history book?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 21,647 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

rafatoni wrote: »
    Shes refusing to answer garda questions according to Newstalk
    That says it all really.
    Send her back.

Effects wrote: »
    Meh. There's parent all over the country that shouldn't be looking after their own kids. Maybe start with them?
    Best to start with the woman that has links to a terrorist organisation though

ELM327 wrote: »
    That says it all really.
    Send her back.

She probably will be sent back to Dundalk.

• Advertisement

That says it all really.
    Send her back.

Send her back where?

I thought you were in favour of sending immigrants who commit crimes home, well her it is. You should be happy.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Effects wrote: »

Difference is they're not all over the Irish media channels like a bad suit.

That says it all really.
    Send her back.

Jesus Títty Christ.

They can't. How many fúcking times does it have to be said. :rolleyes:

Can we put that to bed now?

Jesus Títty Christ.

Wait, this is the first I've heard of it?
    You mean we can't ship our trouble citizens off to random countries?
    That's an odd law....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

tuxy wrote: »
    She probably will be sent back to Dundalk.

You thought Syria was bad?

You thought Syria was bad?

A week in Dundalk she'll be begging for the desert.

Posters on every immigration thread: “if immigrants commit crimes they should be deported”

Same posters on this thread: “Irish woman being deported shouldn’t be allowed in”

Do ye actually sit down and think about this at all?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Turkey has invaded northern Syria three times, firstly in 2016.

President Erdogan has threatened to release refugees (mostly Syrian) from southern Turkey into Europe since 2016. This is not a new thing but he hasnt threatened to release ISIS fighters into Europe, its more implied.

The reason for the threat was to gain international funding and support for a security buffer zone in northern Syria, keeping Kurdish forces from threatening Turkey.

The establishment of the zone, which is partially in force, would require substantial capital (sought from the EU) to become operational under sufficient human rights.

However, if the EU agreed to support the security zone, they would be agreeing to see significant demographic change from Kurdish to Arab domination of northern Syria....and a reduction of "Kurdistan".

Turkey threatened to release 3 million Syrian refugees into Europe to give the EU an ultimatium regarding financial support for Turkish geopolitical intents.

In short, it had nothing to do with ISIS.

Brian? wrote: »
    Send her back where?

I thought you were in favour of sending immigrants who commit crimes home, well her it is. You should be happy.
    Jesus Títty Christ.

Why are we stuck with our isis woman when the UK was able to revoke the citizenship of theirs?
    I thought we enacted legislation allowing citizenship here to be revoked when needed?

(Genuine factual question, I'm looking to understand why a woman with isis links who is refusing to cooperate with our authorities has to remain here)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Because you're ignorant of history?

Some of us have moved on from the Middle Ages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement