Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climate Morons on The Late Late Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

Motivator wrote: »
    Ireland represents 0.06% of the worlds population. What we do in this country has absolutely no impact on the world’s climate. At 36 years of age, I really don’t need to be lectured by some jumped up privately schooled toadface on a Friday evening telling me to buy second hand jeans in order to save the planet.

Post of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Anyone have any clear stats on Commuting to School modes nowadays vs 20-30 years ago? Certainly when I was in school mainly in the 90s the numbers walking, cycling and arriving via bus were a very sizeable %. Most didn’t get dropped to the gate in an SUV (no one really had SUVs bar a few farmers that needed them).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

topper75 wrote: »
    I'm not shocked. I'll just carry on. Warm in summer and cold in winter.
    Call me again if that changes - yeah?

And that's what most people will do.

Just so long as you don't b*tch and moan when positive environment policy is enacted.
    I thought it was ironic that RTE picked this November for their climate week campaign. Didn't you? Bad call to talk about global warming catastrophes when it is bitter out.

But you dispair away Padre, it won't affect me.

Another ridiculous comment from someone who doesn't understand the difference between climate and weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

road_high wrote: »
    Anyone have any clear stats on Commuting to School modes nowadays vs 20-30 years ago? Certainly when I was in school mainly in the 90s the numbers walking, cycling and arriving via bus were a very sizeable %. Most didn’t get dropped to the gate in an SUV (no one really had SUVs bar a few farmers that needed them).

It's not the kids driving to school though is it, it's overprotective gobsh*te parents. Poor planning and reliance on cars also comes into this though, urban sprawl has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Cordell

What we're doing here today is nothing comparing to the impact of the emerging economies when they finally emerge. This is what those twts don't realize: in order to achieve a significant reduction in the speed of CO2 emissions increase the underdeveloped countries need to stay underdeveloped, they should stay poor and hungry.

Read the bold part carefully; this is what we have to realize first, reduce and stop the increase, before even thinking about decreasing.

• Advertisement

Cordell wrote: »
    What we're doing here today is nothing comparing to the impact of the emerging economies when they finally emerge. This is what those twts don't realize: in order to achieve a significant reduction in the speed of CO2 emissions increase the underdeveloped countries need to stay underdeveloped, they should stay poor and hungry.

Read the bold part carefully; this is what we have to realize first, reduce and stop the increase, before even thinking about decreasing.

What we're doing here is a lot, and the way we run our societies and the waste and the consumption is not something other countries should aspire to. There's plenty of wealth and food to go around, it just needs to be distributed better. I have no doubt we're just going to keep going as is until war etc breaks out but really the only way would be to slow down our economies, stop this mega consumer lifestyle somehow, and to try and find some kind of equilibrium with nature.
    I say this as we come into Xmas where no politician would ever have the balls to come out and tell people to spend less and not to buy useless crap that none of us need over the coming weeks, despite what they say about wanting to help the environment.

We need industry, and we moved all to China, and now we're pointing fingers at them. Well, not all of us, the Gretas :)
    We can reduce and become greener and more sustainable here because we can afford it, and we absolutely should do that but not at any expense. But countries that need to build their infrastructure and industry will effectively cancel all of our efforts, and it's not fair to deny them the development we had here.

Spending less will help well off people to save more, but it may send minimum wage people on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Another ridiculous comment from someone who doesn't understand the difference between climate and weather.

Oh - suits you to break the link sometimes does it?

Odd how extreme weather events are useful then for the cause and are magically indicative of climate change.

Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Master of the Omniverse

What we're doing here is a lot, and the way we run our societies and the waste and the consumption is not something other countries should aspire to. There's plenty of wealth and food to go around, it just needs to be distributed better. I have no doubt we're just going to keep going as is until war etc breaks out but really the only way would be to slow down our economies, stop this mega consumer lifestyle somehow, and to try and find some kind of equilibrium with nature.
    I say this as we come into Xmas where no politician would ever have the balls to come out and tell people to spend less and not to buy useless crap that none of us need over the coming weeks, despite what they say about wanting to help the environment.

Exactly,the never ending debt based consumerism is THE PROBLEM,do we really need endless new phones,the latest car,the next fashion accessory ,plastic rubbish that is rammed down our throats at every opportunity ,constant advertising.Dies the government talk about THIS?
    What about banks and the never ending cumulative interest that requires people to be enslaved for most of their lives just to own their own house,leading to endless jobs for endless consumerism for things that we don't NEED! What about the education system that brainwashes children into believeing that a "job" is what every child should aspire to? REALLY ? We are so far removed from everything that IS important for our future,and THIS is what our children should be aspiring to.
    Of course the governments round the world aren't interested in promoting this,children arent taught about how to understand their minds,how to care for animals,how to care for each other,or how to truly care for this planet,because after all ,they are the future slave consumers,and the gravy train needs their dumbing down to keep on rolling towards our planned dustopian future,and keeping the status quo for the bankers and corporations.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Padre_Pio wrote: »

Just so long as you don't b*tch and moan when positive environment policy is enacted.

And when exactly is the last time that Ireland Government have implemented a positive policy change effectively?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

This is what those twts don't realize: in order to achieve a significant reduction in the speed of CO2 emissions increase the underdeveloped countries need to stay underdeveloped, they should stay poor and hungry.

Is that not what they are doing? How many developing Nations will be able to afford many of these technological changes? Will they be able to keep up with the tariffs placed on countries who don't meet carbon targets?

Well, that's exactly my point: they can't afford. They need energy, and green sustainable energy is expensive. But no one seem to talk about this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Bdjsjsjs

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/86-drop-in-children-cycling-to-school-942858.html

Why the hell are SUVs even allowed in cities? We need to get tough on this kind of thing and stop letting advertising and big business rule the roost.

Why particularly SUVs? Why not all cars?

Why particularly SUVs? Why not all cars?

They take up a lot of space and burn a lot of fuel. There is no reason why you'd need one in a city. But yes people should be discouraged from owning cars in the first place, planning societies around cars leads to all kinds of problems.

It's not the kids driving to school though is it, it's overprotective gobsh*te parents. Poor planning and reliance on cars also comes into this though, urban sprawl has a lot to answer for.

They’re we able to decide to protest- they can surely decide to get to school in other means too- according to themselves this life and death so the slight security rush would be worth it surely?

Bdjsjsjs wrote: »

Not surprised- but when is the 86% from? Article isn’t very clear

They’re we able to decide to protest- they can surely decide to get to school in other means too- according to themselves this life and death so the slight security rush would be worth it surely?

Does your attempt to outwit achoolkids feel good or something? Just ignore them ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭Field east

Climate change is extremely complex. But warming will for all its problems do some good like boosting yields of many crops.

What about the requirement by plants for water.

• Advertisement

Does your attempt to outwit achoolkids feel good or something? Just ignore them ffs.

Not trying to outwit them just calling out their ridiculous hypocrisy. The younger ones haven’t a clue obviously but 16-18 years olds who are the most vocal can make decisions and choices relating to transport and consumerism and I’ve no doubly a much higher carbon footprint than us now adults ever had

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I'm not shocked. I'll just carry on. Warm in summer and cold in winter.
    Call me again if that changes - yeah?

How cold and inconsiderate of you. A lot of this comes down to a complete lack of empathy for those in third world who will bare the brunt of climatic catastrophe, really. If the effects were felt more keenly in the first world, by those who are causing the damage, ironically, then youd see greater change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭Field east

Climate change is extremely complex. But warming will for all its problems do some good like boosting yields of many crops.

What about the water required. I’d prefer a colder climate as long as there is not a water deficit re crop growth. Rain is needed to recharge the ground water situation also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

wakka12 wrote: »
    How cold and inconsiderate of you. A lot of this comes down to a complete lack of empathy for those in third world who will bare the brunt of climatic catastrophe, really. If the effects were felt more keenly in the first world, by those who are causing the damage, ironically, then youd see greater change.

Using terms like the third world has long been considered
    inappropriate.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Using terms like the third world has long been considered
    inappropriate.

How very woke of you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Where were you watching this? Pathe news before the 3pm matinee?

No, watched it happen. News and broadcasts at the time.
    I recall the great relief that nuclear was had been avoided.
    Would not have much confidence in Team Trump if a similar crisis erupted nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Using terms like the third world has long been considered inappropriate.

'the world of third'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,576 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Turd world

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Master of the Omniverse

More than a quarter but less than a half world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,293 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

acksually... Ireland is a 'Third World' country

Advertisement