Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Climate change program What Planet Are You On?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Technology is turning us into nothing more than economic units to be bled white. Think of the effect, it's like the new tractors you never really own due to the tech inside. It removes independent options to make ones own choices. People will be forced into cities as they won't have options like they have now, affordable secondhand vehicles and such.

And don't forget all the jobs lost as technology advances. My job is in IT, most times a new phone system or new technology is rolled out people lose their jobs. We now have a program where we are using "bots" to do low end administration stuff, 5 people will lose their jobs at the end of the year when that's up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

emaherx wrote: »
    First use?

There is over 1400 autonomous vehicles operating on public roads in the US.

I think.they are being tested and are not as such in use. While in testing mode I imagine that they are still technically under driver or remote command. They may even have a driver and in them able to override the computer controls. In use would mean that average Johnny who is wealthy enough can buy one and put it on the road.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭emaherx

I think.they are being tested and are not as such in use. While in testing mode I imagine that they are still technically under driver or remote command. They may even have a driver and in them able to override the computer controls. In use would mean that average Johnny who is wealthy enough can buy one and put it on the road.

They are technically testing, but much beyond remote control, some may have human drivers to take over but not all and they are driving in the public space. They have been involved in a number of collisions also including some fatal, most were caused by other drivers or pedestrians.

NcdJd wrote: »
    And don't forget all the jobs lost as technology advances. My job is in IT, most times a new phone system or new technology is rolled out people lose their jobs. We now have a program where we are using "bots" to do low end administration stuff, 5 people will lose their jobs at the end of the year when that's up and running.

And yet before this pandemic, more people were employed than ever. Technology and jobs change, how many would like to remove JCB's from existence and go back to teams of people digging for very little money? Should telecoms go back to human powered switchboards?

If we applied the same restrictions as this year only a few short years ago then we'd be looking at a lot more unemployment as no one could work from home.

And yet before this pandemic, more people were employed than ever. Technology and jobs change, how many would like to remove JCB's from existence and go back to teams of people digging for very little money? Should telecoms go back to human powered switchboards?

If we applied the same restrictions as this year only a few short years ago then we'd be looking at a lot more unemployment as no one could work from home.

Don't mean that. I mean eventually with further automation and technical progress there will be a large part of the worlds population with no job opertunities. What do they do with these people? Universal wage i guess.

https://telecoms.com/484001/but-what-about-the-human-cost-of-automation/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

An interesting development in similar programming in the UK.

https://twitter.com/PrysorWilliams/status/1316995287798480897?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Using that intelligent thought process I guess they will not make them for the likes of India, Australia, Japan, Southern Africa, Caribbean and more. Only about 30% of the world's population drives on the left side of the road.

Work away importing some electric car from India, they make the old British Leyland muck from the 70's look reliable, a lot of the other countries you mention import a lot of second hand vehicles as new ones are beyond most of the population,

Don't mean that. I mean eventually with further automation and technical progress there will be a large part of the worlds population with no job opertunities. What do they do with these people? Universal wage i guess.

I know but similar was claimed when modern diggers and many other types of mechanization appeared, yet employment has continued to rise.

Automation is pretty much what keeps me employed today in an industry that they've been claiming will end within the next 5 years for the past 50.

I know a lot of people currently doing nothing in the office and that is before automation

UBI would be great if you have a bit of land you can just focus on growing your own and relaxing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I know but similar was claimed when modern diggers and many other types of mechanization appeared, yet employment has continued to rise.

Automation is pretty much what keeps me employed today in an industry that they've been claiming will end within the next 5 years for the past 50.

They seem to forget that someone has to fix all this stuff,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Work away importing some electric car from India, they make the old British Leyland muck from the 70's look reliable, a lot of the other countries you mention import a lot of second hand vehicles as new ones are beyond most of the population,

And the cheap electric car the new Dacia Spring looks like it'll be left hand drive only for the European market. It would have been sub 20k here if it was right hand drive.

The Journal might be worth having a look at this week, this article should be free access.
    https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/1317707062382649344?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

And the cheap electric car the new Dacia Spring looks like it'll be left hand drive only for the European market. It would have been sub 20k here if it was right hand drive.

That is interesting as Dacia are an Indian make of car and they drive on the LHS if the road. It amazing they are producing cars for Europe for the he side they do not drive

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

That is interesting as Dacia are an Indian make of car and they drive on the LHS if the road. It amazing they are producing cars for Europe for the he side they do not drive

I thought Dacia was a Romanian company that started using old schools Renault tech, was then purchased by the wider Renault group ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Further info from the Dealer, IFJ

Making a complaint about climate show

I’ve been contacted by many farmers about the RTÉ show What Planet Are You On? since it aired.

Farmers or individuals wishing to make a formal complaint about the show should note that there is a formal procedure for making a complaint to RTÉ.

There’s no point complaining to your cows or your neighbour.The complaint must outline what show the person is referring to and what the complaint is in regard to, specifically if the programme has breached impartiality in any way or not been fair to all interested concerns.

Formal complaints can be sent by letter to RTÉ Complaints office, Third Floor Admin Building, RTÉ, Donnybrook, Dublin 4, or by e-mail to complaints@rte.ie

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/the-big-dealer-famous-quad-calves-on-the-market-in-kerry-577684

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

An interesting development in similar programming in the UK.

https://twitter.com/PrysorWilliams/status/1316995287798480897?s=20

More on that story here

https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/bbc-pulls-meat-documentary-from-iplayer-after-nfu-complaint

Time national broadcasters stop running solely with the hip and trendy brigade imo. RTE is a case in point.

gozunda wrote: »
    More on that story here

https://www.fwi.co.uk/news/bbc-pulls-meat-documentary-from-iplayer-after-nfu-complaint

Time national broadcasters stop running solely with the hip and trendy brigade imo. RTE is a case in point.

It's a big win for impartiality, tbh. Minette Batters is one tough cookie, she has stayed hammering away at that issue since the programme was aired.

And it should put more pressure on RTV to actually publish the entire story and not cherrypick the parts that suit their narrative.

Our tax is spent on some awful programmes at rte.

I believe the gaa, soccer, rugby and other sports coverage as well as current affairs/ quality documentaries /other voices are in the public interest however some of the tosh rte puts out like operation transformation, fair city, the today show, the late late and this silly program should not be covered by tax payers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭endainoz

endainoz wrote: »

Again another very environmentally friendly idea. Some really progressive farming going on in Waterford. It's a win win as it provides protein as well as reducing the human foot print on the environment.

• Advertisement

To mark the start of the lockdown we had a vegetarian supper this evening, Grilled Vegan Striploin Steaks from grass fed beef, jacket potatoes smothered in Vegan Butter from vegetarian grass fed cows, sautéed Irish chestnut mushroom and red onion.

!Green Cuisine - Whoops, I'm a Bit Veggie'

To mark the start of the lockdown we had a vegetarian supper this evening, Grilled Vegan Striploin Steaks from grass fed beef, jacket potatoes smothered in Vegan Butter from vegetarian grass fed cows, sautéed Irish chestnut mushroom and red onion.

!Green Cuisine - Whoops, I'm a Bit Veggie'

Sounds good, I think I'm a bit veggie too!

Satellites can measure methane emissions now.

An article from the BBC showing a timelapse of global methane emissions.

Blue to red scale. With blue being low and red being high.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54597764

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Satellites can measure methane emissions now.

An article from the BBC showing a timelapse of global methane emissions.

Blue to red scale. With blue being low and red being high.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-54597764

But Southern counties are showing as blue and they have all increased in cows??!!!

Also whats the story with the Amazon showing up as blue?

Panch18 wrote: »
    But Southern counties are showing as blue and they have all increased in cows??!!!

Also whats the story with the Amazon showing up as blue?

The Amazon. It's probably from naturally occurring methane eating microbes growing in the tropical climate. Same over in the Congo basin.

You see the difference in the top half of Ireland compared to the bottom half.
    The difference occurs where the Midlands bogs are and then you the prevailing wind carrying that for the top half.

What's very noticeable is the red areas in northern Africa and the gulf where the gas and oil extracting industries are.

Then you have the rice paddy fields of India and China very noticeable.

They are censored from saying rice as everybody loves rice. :pac:

The difference in the blue area in Ireland and the green is land.
    A cow takes up an area of one metre by half a metre of land. One cow to the acre say on fifty acres is 25 square metres.
    If you have methane producing land and soil like anaerobic bogs and paddy fields.
    That's the straight fifty acres producing methane as opposed to 25 square metres.
    There has to be a huge difference and it seems to be going by the satellite data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

If a grass plant grows and inevitably dies and withers or rots it emits the methane it has absorbed indirectly give or take.
    Cattle do not conjure up and “produce” methane.
    The barrel of oil, the tonne of cal and the pipeline of gas are what need to be followed in every area of our existence. In food production soil regeneration and reduction in dependency on fossil fuels is where the conversation should be.

China making every cheap consumable with black coal isn’t a conversation in vogue in this country. Food processing/retail marketing of vegan processed food is the money behind all this nonsense. The answer to a burning plastic factory with a burning oil well beside a fireworks factory next to a gasworks would be,
    Meat free, dairy free, wool free, leather free Yadi yadi yadi

Truth always prevailsin the end they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Jjameson wrote: »
    If a grass plant grows and inevitably dies and withers or rots it emits the methane it has absorbed indirectly give or take.
    Cattle do not conjure up and “produce” methane.
    The barrel of oil, the tonne of cal and the pipeline of gas are what need to be followed in every area of our existence. In food production soil regeneration and reduction in dependency on fossil fuels is where the conversation should be.

China making every cheap consumable with black coal isn’t a conversation in vogue in this country. Food processing/retail marketing of vegan processed food is the money behind all this nonsense. The answer to a burning plastic factory with a burning oil well beside a fireworks factory next to a gasworks would be,
    Meat free, dairy free, wool free, leather free Yadi yadi yadi

Truth always prevailsin the end they say.

I've always wondered why humans sourced emissions of carbon dioxide etc are not considered within the issue of ghg's. It's claimed that humans themselves simply use and reuse the same amount of carbon dioxide etc. Why is it only farmed animals which are always scapegoated with regard to emissions.?

That said I wouldn’t necessarily say its all 'vegen' processed food' - Its all the fake foods, which are being aggressively marketed as 'saving the planet" or 'if you care about climate change' and 'you don't need to eat meat' and all the other bs advertsising pushed by multi billion euro 'plant food industries.' Take a look at the fillers and junk in highly processed products just to see how hollow these clains are

Unfortunately much of the advertising seems to be aimed at young people who seem to being persuaded to buy much of this highly processed crsp making them believe they are saving the planet. They're not. Its simply making money for those who control these mega corporations. Unfortunately the ones bearing the brunt of this war on food are most ofter the small scale producers.

Certainly interesting that RTE are now doing the advertising for these corporate interests free and gratis...

What on earth are they eating ?

I scored 1 out of 10, I was hoping for Zero.

https://www.thejournal.ie/quiz-vegan-vegeterian-burger-5243212-Oct2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Like any diet much of the hyper processed veggie food is just muck.
    A decent home cooked veg casserole or curry prepared with fresh veg can be a decent thing an odd time.

• Advertisement

Ha, I got more right... I'm practically vegan. Although the ones I got right was because I clicked on words I didn't recognized. I'm confused by the fruit thing being called a pulled pork substitute though.

Advertisement