Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Climate change program What Planet Are You On?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

Can you imagine the sh!tstorm that's going to erupt when people will be told that Agriculture is their only hope of reversing climate change:D

As long as we all can stay solvent until then..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

It's just the latest incarnation of the bias inherent in RTE.
    https://twitter.com/IFAmedia/status/1195685227248701440?s=19
    The nutrition expert they provided the other night has no nutritional qualifications and is, iirc, a qualified physicist.

But he ticked the boxes on the narrative that RTE are pushing wholesale atm.

I agree RTÉ should provide good, unbiased reporting, and use qualified, relevant people - no arguments there...

If that bet lad wasn’t qualified, he shouldn’t have been on the show. But saying he shouldn’t have been on the show, regardless of his experience, ability or qualifications purely cos of his girlfriend / wife doesn’t sit well with me...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Watching 'Will Ireland Survive 2050?' now on RTE 1. It shows Coonagh in Limerick and the recent flooding there. I know Coonagh. It's all built on corcas land and so is well under high level tide. It flooded because the Council were working on the sluice gate there and went away for the weekend and left a temp job in place. It failed and flooded the place. Nothing whatsoever to do with global warming. :mad:

How can RTE give out 2 completely conflicting reports.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2019/0902/1073392-coonagh-flooding/

They were on about this on Maura and Daithi during the week and at one point they said this is a worst case scenario.

Have to congratulate the youth assembly on their measured set of proposals yesterday.

After the chytstorm we've had from RTE during the week, I was really nervous of what the young people could present...

What emerged is measured and largely solid...

It's measures towards food production was that food should carry an environmental score on its packaging, and that surely not a bad idea...

The were no reccomendations regarding travel and transport, which maybe they are finding that part of the lifestyle change a little more difficult to approach..

But we'll done, and it's up to us as farmers to produce that good environmental score, and as suggested elsewephere, get involved in the education of everyone as to what we do..

Too many posts on here that their org should do this and this org should do that...if your a farmer, you need to be able to stand up and educate everyone around you as to the environmental merits of what you do..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

What are we all doing going along with this "green" nazi movement from Germanic and Scandinavian countries ?
    We'll live however we like thanks, not according to so called "green" nazi doctrines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

alps wrote: »
    Have to congratulate the youth assembly on their measured set of proposals yesterday.

After the chytstorm we've had from RTE during the week, I was really nervous of what the young people could present...

What emerged is measured and largely solid...

It's measures towards food production was that food should carry an environmental score on its packaging, and that surely not a bad idea...

The were no reccomendations regarding travel and transport, which maybe they are finding that part of the lifestyle change a little more difficult to approach..

But we'll done, and it's up to us as farmers to produce that good environmental score, and as suggested elsewephere, get involved in the education of everyone as to what we do..

Too many posts on here that their org should do this and this org should do that...if your a farmer, you need to be able to stand up and educate everyone around you as to the environmental merits of what you do..

Another city dweller giving advice, so everyone else make sacrifices while you feel good about yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

mgn wrote: »
    Another city dweller giving advice, so everyone else make sacrifices while you feel good about yourself.

Ye Alps seems to be one of these lot really milking it at the moment alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I agree RTÉ should provide good, unbiased reporting, and use qualified, relevant people - no arguments there...

If that bet lad wasn’t qualified, he shouldn’t have been on the show. But saying he shouldn’t have been on the show, regardless of his experience, ability or qualifications purely cos of his girlfriend / wife doesn’t sit well with me...

I agree that he shouldn't be dismissed because of his being in a relationship with the highest profile news presenter at the station.

But people have concerns that their relationship may have moved his importance further up the desirability scale when there may be more balanced/knowledgeable and qualified people out there to fill that spot.

With the displays on RTE this past week, I think it's a valid concern.

RTE not only have to be unbiased but they also have to be seen to be unbiased. Atm, they are outright flag waving biased against agriculture.

And when their bias is as transparent as shown in this debate, all of a sudden the rest of their output starts to come into question as well. They won't find it easy to return this genie back into the bottle.

Well this is just my opinion.
    If he presented a program about looking at the cute puppies, etc have no issues with it.
    However this vet is in a relationship with a woman who clearly has issues with greyhound racing. So, I would question it to be honest.

Well this is just my opinion.
    If he presented a program about looking at the cute puppies, etc have no issues with it.
    However this vet is in a relationship with a woman who clearly has issues with greyhound racing. So, I would question it to be honest.

Ok, not trying to be awkward, but why does it matter about the vet who presented the shows girlfriends views?

Why do Sharons views matter so much?

I don’t get it...

• Advertisement

Ok, not trying to be awkward, but why does it matter about the vet who presented the shows girlfriends views?

I don’t get it...

Well just in my opinion they should have got a more balanced vet for every bodies sake.
    It allows people to pluck holes in there argument.
    It does matter in lots of circumstances who a person is married, in a relationship with,etc because we don't live in an ideal World.
    It would have being so much easier for them to get somebody else.
    PS I think we are fine off topic!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,069 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I don’t get it...

Sex, sex, sex, sex, sex.
    There I had to be the one to post it.

Basically Sharon Ni Bheolain is such a fine thing and her views on animal welfare are well known and your man is probably boxing above his weight that no way would he disagree with Sharon's views and was well coached beforehand.

Can you imagine the sh!tstorm that's going to erupt when people will be told that Agriculture is their only hope of reversing climate change:D

And if by fate there's an article on Nature just on this subject but typical of the subject it's a premium link not intended for poor farming folk, in case they get notions.

https://twitter.com/AgriChar_RG/status/1195761052098715653?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Capra wrote: »
    Just have a look at the RTE homepage right now. Wall to wall coverage of the children's recommendations on climate change...as it has been all week. It's truly insane stuff.

Who gives a fig about what the most tedious children from 150 schools around the country want? Their lack of life knowledge and experience, added to their susceptability to peer pressure makes their opinions totally meaningless. You know exactly what type of know it all teenager was present at that thing today too.

I agree absolutely.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

I don’t get it...

Because

1) As it's taxpayer funded - RTE is supposed to be unbiased, and present the facts and let people make their own minds up, which they are well capable of

2) When they present something as neutral expert testimony, it's supposed to be from an actual expert, top of their field, not someone pretending to be

high_king wrote: »
    Because

1) As it's taxpayer funded - RTE is supposed to be unbiased, and present the facts and let people make their own minds up, which they are well capable of

2) When they present something as neutral expert testimony, it's supposed to be from an actual expert, top of their field, not someone pretending to be

I agree with both of those...

But the fact the vet wasn’t qualified or experienced and shouldn’t have been on, is seperate to saying his missus is X, so he shouldnt be on...

But, I agree with poster above, this is way off topic, so will leave at that...

Anyhoo... Carbon talk can confuse the hell out of people, it does me sometimes.

However it's kind of in a way ehh. . From biology to conducting electricity. From air to soil.
    Hope this link works..
    Here's the wonders of carbon.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2583510451687242&id=767784729926499

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I don’t get it...

Its called a conflict of interest. Family / partners of those in a position of influence cannot be considered impartial. Think of it like this - if you found out the solicitor representing you in court was the second cousin of the offended party - would you be ok with that? Or the person giving you a parking fine was the brother of a person who really didnt like you - would you be ok with that. It's not that difficult really. Blood and relationship as they say is thicker than water...

gozunda wrote: »
    Its called a conflict of interest. Family / partners of those in a position of influence cannot be considered impartial. Think of it like this - if you found out the solicitor representing you in court was the second cousin of the offended party - would you be ok with that? Or the person giving you a parking fine was the brother of a person who really didnt like you - would you be ok with that. It's not that difficult really. Blood and relationship as they say is thicker than water...

Last post on it... ;)

Yep, I get the conflict of interest position. But as I understand it - Sharon reads the news, not sure she has any editorial job (does she?)

I do take your point gozunda - but say you milk cows, your husband/wife gets a job stacking the shelves in the local coop store. Do you now need to find a new coop to take your milk, to avoid the conflict?

Anyways, it matters not to me, i think we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one... I’m out :)

Capra wrote: »
    Just have a look at the RTE homepage right now. Wall to wall coverage of the children's recommendations on climate change...as it has been all week. It's truly insane stuff.

Who gives a fig about what the most tedious children from 150 schools around the country want? Their lack of life knowledge and experience, added to their susceptability to peer pressure makes their opinions totally meaningless. You know exactly what type of know it all teenager was present at that thing today too.

Do you hate all kids, or just the ones that went to the Dáil?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

Great point. Well made. Can we have another?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭jaymla627

If they done a bit of research and read their history books its a well proven fact the world was 2 degrees plus warmer from 900 a.d to 1300a.d, and then a mini ice age occurred that the planet is only coming out of now, they used to be to grow grapes and have a thriving wine industry in Britain during the medieval period but the ipcc has totally discounted 4 decades of research and 7000 plus published findings in favour of one study done in 1998 on tree rings that reckoned this warm period never happened and the earth was never as hot as it is today......

jaymla627 wrote: »
    If they done a bit of research and read their history books its a well proven fact the world was 2 degrees plus warmer from 900 a.d to 1300a.d, and then a mini ice age occurred that the planet is only coming out of now, they used to be to grow grapes and have a thriving wine industry in Britain during the medieval period but the ipcc has totally discounted 4 decades of research and 7000 plus published findings in favour of one study done in 1998 on tree rings that reckoned this warm period never happened and the earth was never as hot as it is today......

That deserves a whole new thread..90% of the adults believe what the kids believe..

Thought the kids presentations and their 10 point plan was were far more measured than most of what we have heard from adults on RTE all week. And well done to them again. Basically education, and waste reduction..

Theres certainly nothing in their 10 point plan that is of concern to what we do as farmers, and if as we claim all the time in here that we produce the most environmentally friendly food, then it's really suits us.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭emaherx

According to RTE they have received no complaints about the series. Maybe some complaints should be made.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/ifa-calls-for-rt-clarification-509199

https://about.rte.ie/contact/complaints/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

We bought a new one 6 months ago. Was on for 5 minutes and smoke started bellowing out of it. Frightened the bejaysus out of me. No was would I leave one on at night.

Both a fire-hazard & a noise nusance particularly in apartment blocks.

There's something sinister about the ways kids have been targeted & brainwashed to push a particular agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I watched one episode of this during the week, and it was clear the programme had an agenda.

One family had their meat consumption set at 0 CO2 emmisions, as they were eating Vegan. This however ignored the fact they were eating Quorn, which was produced by a company in England.
    Now unless somehow that product ended up in their local shop by Osmosis, you can damn well be sure there was CO2 emissions required to get that food to their dinner table.

Also the way they were pushing electric cars.
    I understand they're certainly the way to go in the future, but currently you'd have to produce a new car, and electric car production in particular requires considerable CO2 emissions due to the batteries required.
    On top of that we currently use mostly fossil fuels to produce our electricity anyway, so until that changes electric cars will still have quite an impact.

Now maybe this was mentioned in other episodes....but I very much doubt it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

emaherx wrote: »
    According to RTE they have received no complaints about the series. Maybe some complaints should be made.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/ifa-calls-for-rt-clarification-509199

https://about.rte.ie/contact/complaints/

Quite a few of their presenters on Twitter got an earful from Ag twitter so they're being a bit disingenuous saying they received no complaints, unsurprisingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭jus_tin4

100% this is pushing the vegan mindset that farming is the root of all evil, but the 200 or so flights going out of Dublin isn't the problem at all or all the pollution coming all other sources or business.

I often find it comical that these nazi style vegans pushing farm down are the very ones who still drive diesel cars or go on flights to america without a second thought.

It is pure RTE/irish government pushing the message they want.

If we were to turn into a vegan country, do they not get to produce the amount of food needed to feed would result in the pretty much the same problem as they see in the farming industry they see now?

And even in that programme they never highlight the issue that we are burning rubbish for electricity? Hardly a more obvious issue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭emaherx

Quite a few of their presenters on Twitter got an earful from Ag twitter so they're being a bit disingenuous saying they received no complaints, unsurprisingly.

I know, I thought the same, but their complaints inbox is empty so all is Rosey with them.

Advertisement