Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Climate change program What Planet Are You On?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

For those who want a real understanding of climate change. It should be made mandatory reading before anyone want to BS about climate change.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/comment/colm-mccarthy-will-2019-be-the-turning-point-on-climate-38763586.html

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Don't wash, eat from the bins, what fxxxing planet is RTE on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

A lot of the Greens and their voters look like the eat from bins by the state of some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Were you watching a different show perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Tabloid TV at its finest. People will do anything for 5 grand.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

NcdJd wrote: »
    Tabloid TV at its finest. People will do anything for 5 grand.

2.5 grand:o

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Welding Rod

There was a fine healthy shine on the lad from Africa the first week of the show. No surprise there with all the steak he was eating.
    I noticed last night the shine is nearly gone off him. No surprise there either with the change in his diet. The poor lad will be gone to nothing if he keeps that new regime up too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

There was a fine healthy shine on the lad from Africa the first week of the show. No surprise there with all the steak he was eating.
    I noticed last night the shine is nearly gone off him. No surprise there either with the change in his diet. The poor lad will be gone to nothing if he keeps that new regime up too long.

Find him on facebook or twitter. Bet you anything that he'll be on those platforms in a few weeks warning people to keep up the meat eating...

blue5000 wrote: »
    2.5 grand:o

RTE were a bit cheap there,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭endainoz

I tuned out as soon as the meat bashing started. Does anyone not argue that they get their meat from sustainable resources? Like from a farmers market butcher? My guess is no and they assume it's all supermarket stuff provided by Larry.

I'm also going to assume that they don't take the carbon sinks from land into account either.

• Advertisement

alps wrote: »
    Find him on facebook or twitter. Bet you anything that he'll be on those platforms in a few weeks warning people to keep up the meat eating...

How much do you bet?

endainoz wrote: »
    I tuned out as soon as the meat bashing started. Does anyone not argue that they get their meat from sustainable resources? Like from a farmers market butcher? My guess is no and they assume it's all supermarket stuff provided by Larry.

I'm also going to assume that they don't take the carbon sinks from land into account either.

They gave out to the ones with the well for giving water to cattle from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Not even one of these recipes is tempting, let alone offering them to children. Be a lot of upset tummies trying to digest this concoction. Some thing masquerading as a burger - the last recipe

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/2019/1112/1090327-your-seven-day-planetary-diet/

How much do you bet?
    A juicy steak sandwich and a pint of Murphys....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Not even one of these recipes is tempting, let alone offering them to children. Be a lot of upset tummies trying to digest this concoction. Some thing masquerading as a burger - the last recipe

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/food/2019/1112/1090327-your-seven-day-planetary-diet/

I disagree, lots of very palatable food there.

The bias in this programme is stunning nonetheless.

So €20 then? You're on. If you can find evidence along the lines you predicted within three months, I'll pay €20 to a charity of your choosing. If you can't, you'll pay €20 to a charity I nominate - deal?

I would say he cleared the hot food counter at the first petrol station on the road home

endainoz wrote: »

They do not take carbon sequestration of any kind into account. Nor do they take the CO2 utilised by the photosynthesis process in grass growth into account (the only source of Carbon in grass fed cattle, that subsequently is emitted as CH4)

They used an emissions guide that stated beef has a carbon footprint of 40kgCO2eq/kg while Bord Bia have measured the Irish equivalent at 12kgCO2eq/kg........and that's without allowing for CO2 absorption..

I see NZ are ahead of us and have found that some beef systems are not only Carbon neutral but in fact 118% carbon absorbers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

KaneToad wrote: »

That soya milk must be terrible s4ite. A tablespoon of maple syrup and four teaspoons of honey. I make mine with milk put a bit if fruit in it and that it in the porridge to make it edible. Gave up looking at there recipes and food plan after that. Had a burger wrapped with bacon with cheddar cheese and onions for dinner this evening with a few homemade wedges again with cheese on them. Glass of Ardfert milk with it( it pasteurised not homogenised).

Slava Ukrainii

So €20 then? You're on. If you can find evidence along the lines you predicted within three months, I'll pay €20 to a charity of your choosing. If you can't, you'll pay €20 to a charity I nominate - deal?

You're on....sincerely hope we can find a nice eatery open in 3 months..

Mouth watering now..

• Advertisement

KaneToad wrote: »

In fairness to you I went back over the recipes, the word alternative is used 30 times, without telling you what is in the alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Take plenty "of no notice"
    If some want to eat that type of concoction good luck to them, for they will need it.

You'd want to have the septic tank cleaned out before starting that diet. Only one day of the seven has spuds in it. Shameful. Nothing about the methane emitted from rice production or the fact that most of the ingredients are not grown locally in the country.

A lot of food consumed. I only have two meals a day but I suppose you'd need three of those dishes to feel full.

You'd want to have the septic tank cleaned out before starting that diet. Only one day of the seven has spuds in it. Shameful. Nothing about the methane emitted from rice production or the fact that most of the ingredients are not grown locally in the country.

A lot of food consumed. I only have two meals a day but I suppose you'd need three of those dishes to feel full.

You would be "full of wind and piss, like a Swiss mountain goat" after consuming that lot.

You would be "full of wind and piss, like a Swiss mountain goat" after consuming that lot.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for trying something new limetree but it strikes me that there looks to be are larger volume of food being consumed there with very high mileage, for the sake of avoiding meat based protein which Ireland produces to a very high standard.

I really at this stage wouldn't care if RTE was canned altogether. People have enough bills to pay.

I wonder will anyone ever do a study on this media groupthink. I find it fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Don't get me wrong I'm all for trying something new limetree but it strikes me that there looks to be are larger volume of food being consumed there with very high mileage, for the sake of avoiding meat based protein which Ireland produces to a very high standard.

I really at this stage wouldn't care if RTE was canned altogether. People have enough bills to pay.

Any environmentaly focused nutritionist that requires the 12 months of summer diet rather than being able conjure something from the locally seasonally available fruits and veg knows fook all anyway other than re hashing the same peddled nonsense you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Between this and Duncan carpenter cum eco warrior Stewart RTE are definitely gone off the rails.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭emaherx

The Irish times on the anti-animal farming bandwaggon too.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/like-it-or-not-climate-change-will-make-everyone-change-their-lives-1.4376743

Apparently electric cars and oat milk are the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

emaherx wrote: »
    The Irish times on the anti-animal farming bandwaggon too.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/like-it-or-not-climate-change-will-make-everyone-change-their-lives-1.4376743

Apparently electric cars and oat milk are the future.

There’s allot to like though.

According to that article I’m getting a cycle path to town here in rural cavan AND public transport passing my house so I don’t have to bring my car. When I’ve these things I’ll consider to eat less beef and might try oat milk. But I’ll wait for the promised cycle path and public transport first.

Advertisement