Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Climate change program What Planet Are You On?

Options
  • 15-11-2019 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,198 ✭✭✭✭

I noticed this last night but I didn't watch much of the program.
    Basically some guy advising people to give up cheese produced in Ireland and replace it with avocados!
    Some people were saying they were essentially trying to push a vegan diet.

Did anybody here see it or have any opinions on it?

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/rt-show-sparks-farmer-backlash-508689

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Basically some guy advising people to give up cheese produced in Ireland and replace it with avocados!

This climate change agenda 24/7 with RTE is starting to get tiresome.
    It will get to a stage where it will be like Brexit in the UK, people will get sick of it and switch off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

mgn wrote: »
    It will get to a stage where it will be like Brexit in the UK, people will get sick of it and switch off.

The mother has done that any programme with either she just changes over she's so sick of it being on

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I watched it alright, I know one of the judges. That vegan from Oxford university got way too much air time to push his own agenda IMHO.

What I got from the programme though was that it was amazing how much they were able to cut back on water use, around 1000L less per week. I see my OH rinsing everything before it goes in the dishwasher.

I'd be a bit concerned about ppl being recommended to use the tumble dryer at night, they are a fire hazard if the lint isn't kept clear.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Capra

Just have a look at the RTE homepage right now. Wall to wall coverage of the children's recommendations on climate change...as it has been all week. It's truly insane stuff.

Who gives a fig about what the most tedious children from 150 schools around the country want? Their lack of life knowledge and experience, added to their susceptability to peer pressure makes their opinions totally meaningless. You know exactly what type of know it all teenager was present at that thing today too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

blue5000 wrote: »
    I watched it alright, I know one of the judges. That vegan from Oxford university got way too much air time to push his own agenda IMHO.

What I got from the programme though was that it was amazing how much they were able to cut back on water use, around 1000L less per week. I see my OH rinsing everything before it goes in the dishwasher.

I'd be a bit concerned about ppl being recommended to use the tumble dryer at night, they are a fire hazard if the lint isn't kept clear.

We bought a new one 6 months ago. Was on for 5 minutes and smoke started bellowing out of it. Frightened the bejaysus out of me. No was would I leave one on at night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I was actually horrified seeing the programme. It goes against everything we're trying to show the world- that the grass based milk/dairy/beef is so much better for the environment & biodiversity than feedlots in US etc.
    We need something like a traffic light sticker for foods, red for lots of travel, orange for medium & green for local. Might shock some folks into thinking more wisely.
    I've actually never had or used a tumbledryer or dishwasher, do I get points for that ;):D

Capra wrote: »
    Just have a look at the RTE homepage right now. Wall to wall coverage of the children's recommendations on climate change...as it has been all week. It's truly insane stuff.

Who gives a fig about what the most tedious children from 150 schools around the country want? Their lack of life knowledge and experience, added to their susceptability to peer pressure makes their opinions totally meaningless. You know exactly what type of know it all teenager was present at that thing today too.

The usual teachers pets reading from a script that the teachers wrote for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

I was actually horrified seeing the programme. It goes against everything we're trying to show the world- that the grass based milk/dairy/beef is so much better for the environment & biodiversity than feedlots in US etc.
    We need something like a traffic light sticker for foods, red for lots of travel, orange for medium & green for local. Might shock some folks into thinking more wisely.
    I've actually never had or used a tumbledryer or dishwasher, do I get points for that ;):D

I’d give up my right hand before I’d lose the dishwasher.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Odelay

Absolutely was a push for a vegan diet. No warmings about possible negative health effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Odelay wrote: »
    I’d give up my right hand before I’d lose the dishwasher.

Basin here, which then goes out onto the plants. Food residue = fertiliser :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Any mention about that carbon footprint of importing all these avocados via air and sea?

Any mention about that carbon footprint of importing all these avocados via air and sea?

Are you joking, these clowns are not capable of thinking about things likes that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I watched the first programme, well about half of it anyway, and even in that half the number of half truths and outright misconceptions was turning from funny to bizarre.

If you accept that Agriculture, and that includes vegan foods as well, accounts for approx 30% of Irish emissions, then you also have to accept that that same 30% is a gross measure of emissions because the basic building block of organic matter produced by crops is carbon from CO2.

That CO2 is used to produce carbohydrates, fats and proteins which feed both humans and animals which also consume the inedible plants that humans can't process and the waste portions of crops that humans can't or won't eat.

The net emissions are where the focus needs to be on as Agriculture is the only carbon consumer left on the planet now that the oceans are saturated with CO2.

In 2 or 3 years time, the conversation will have changed to how Agriculture can be improved to soak up even more of the CO2 produced by western society and its excessive consumption

So, basically a big, huge MEH to RTE and its transparent attempts to narrate a direction instead of just reporting the truth and let people judge for themselves. The science is there but it's not trendy enough to report on:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Are you joking, these clowns are not capable of thinking about things likes that.

I wonder does anyone take it into account, if they did our shipping of beef to china would probably double/treble our carbon footprint........ is it like ignoring the footprint of air travel, do some industries get a bye

• Registered Users Posts: 30,198 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The usual teachers pets reading from a script that the teachers wrote for them.

I saw one of the kids on TV during the week. They said they were ho.e schooled!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Water and the emptying of aquifers to grow all this fad vegan
    through irrigation is something that never gets discussed, it will be some gallery when water runs out, and hey presto dairy and meat will be back in vogue, its going to be a waiting game to see out this vegan agenda, but then of course you have the fake meat side of it, but the truth about how dangerous this stuff actually is to eat is coming out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I haven’t either, but it definitely deserves a basketful of points.

Probably pushing the kid into something the could never achieve in life themselfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Living every teenage boy's dream :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Water and the emptying of aquifers to grow all this fad vegan
    through irrigation is something that never gets discussed, it will be some gallery when water runs out, and hey presto dairy and meat will be back in vogue, its going to be a waiting game to see out this vegan agenda, but then of course you have the fake meat side of it, but the truth about how dangerous this stuff actually is to eat is coming out

Firmly believe that red meat will be the superfood of the future. Diets high in red meat and low in carbs will be essential in combatting diabetes, autoimmune diseases etc going forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,198 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Living every teenage boy's dream :pac:

To be fair I think the kid they may have had issues.
    They were very unrelatable to tough. If I was a teenager they wouldn't have made me change my behaviour.

Firmly believe that red meat will be the superfood of the future. Diets high in red meat and low in carbs will be essential in combatting diabetes, autoimmune diseases etc going forward

I've been reading up on ketolow carb diets that can reverse diabetes or, at the least, reduce dramatically the insulin dose needed for diabetics.

There's supposed to be some peer reviewed papers coming out early in the new year that display huge benefits for a large amount of the side effects experienced by diabetics who also need a lot of complementary meds to manage those side effects, including arthritis which would be glorious:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

the side effects experienced by diabetics who also need a lot of complementary meds to manage those side effects, including arthritis which would be glorious:)

Need to get into bee keeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

The first night of the programme I thought to myself that I might learn a few tips on saving water, by the end of the first night I was going to put my foot through the television. Is the programme not supposed to be unbiased ? They may aswell put one of us on it and get everyone eating steak 3 times a day. You would also think they'd find a vegan in Ireland not have to bring one in from the UK, this makes it even more ridiculous. Is it even worth emailing the broadcast regulator ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I watched the first programme, well about half of it anyway, and even in that half the number of half truths and outright misconceptions was turning from funny to bizarre.

If you accept that Agriculture, and that includes vegan foods as well, accounts for approx 30% of Irish emissions, then you also have to accept that that same 30% is a gross measure of emissions because the basic building block of organic matter produced by crops is carbon from CO2.

That CO2 is used to produce carbohydrates, fats and proteins which feed both humans and animals which also consume the inedible plants that humans can't process and the waste portions of crops that humans can't or won't eat.

The net emissions are where the focus needs to be on as Agriculture is the only carbon consumer left on the planet now that the oceans are saturated with CO2.

In 2 or 3 years time, the conversation will have changed to how Agriculture can be improved to soak up even more of the CO2 produced by western society and its excessive consumption

So, basically a big, huge MEH to RTE and its transparent attempts to narrate a direction instead of just reporting the truth and let people judge for themselves. The science is there but it's not trendy enough to report on:rolleyes:

At the ifa hustings the other night one farmer had worked out his farm operation only produces 30% of the carbon his farming area takes up, soneoneone else is using the other 70%, we should be getting paid for that 70% someone else is using was his point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Gave up worrying about all that scutter when I watched this years ago https://youtu.be/oYhCQv5tNsQ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

From the nuffield conference today

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

At the ifa hustings the other night one farmer had worked out his farm operation only produces 30% of the carbon his farming area takes up, soneoneone else is using the other 70%, we should be getting paid for that 70% someone else is using was his point.

I asked the same question at a meeting myself years ago, government weren't allowing trading at the time and if they were farmers would have to be customers for carbon credits based on their enterprise...... don't know if it has changed since. Your friend would have to use half of his carbon credits to cover his own pollution

From the nuffield conference today

Again from Nuffield, Jerusalem Artichoke can store twice as much carbon as trees.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/nuffield-conference-alternative-crops-can-store-twice-as-much-carbon-as-trees-508928

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

I've been reading up on ketolow carb diets that can reverse diabetes or, at the least, reduce dramatically the insulin dose needed for diabetics.

There's supposed to be some peer reviewed papers coming out early in the new year that display huge benefits for a large amount of the side effects experienced by diabetics who also need a lot of complementary meds to manage those side effects, including arthritis which would be glorious:)
    Any sort of inflammatory issue is definitely worth trying it out for now and see how you go yourself. Just watch out introducing foods like nuts in large amounts as they mightn't agree with you.

Advertisement