Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"OK Boomer"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Thanks Gill, let's quit the fussin and the feud'in

And get down to some lovin? I’ve never tried it via boards, where do I put my.,..?

Probably need less dots there, 2 would have been sufficient

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

No, most language developed by borrowing words from other languages for convenience and then those words mutate to fit the speech patterns in that language. Language evolves to become more efficient over time because of what Racon calls laziness. Why use 10 words when you can use 1 or 2?

Why? More words means more brain power, more complexity of thought, more vocabulary equals higher IQ. Fewer words at ones disposal is associated with lower IQ. There is a similar argument to be made for cursive script over digital writing - more neurons stimulated in the act of writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Don't be ashamed of this country at all.

Jeez people get ashamed fierce easily.

And defensive.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

A Google search for "boomer" now results in reams of this stupid shit instead of pictures of the delightful Gracie Park in character as Viper jock Sharon Valeri, and for this I will never forgive whoever it is that started this idiocy.

This is Numa Numa Guy, the Director-General of the Internet, and he is completely unfazed by the latest high-jinks:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I'm ****ing ashamed of this country that a thread and discussion like this can get so many responses. Bunch of morons.

Lol typical boomer taking random anonymous internet hijinxs way too seriously

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Original Boomer

giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

And defensive.
    And nitpicky.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

VinLieger wrote: »
    Lol typical boomer taking random anonymous internet hijinxs way too seriously

He Boomered the **** out of that one

Gynoid wrote: »
    Why? More words means more brain power, more complexity of thought, more vocabulary equals higher IQ. Fewer words at ones disposal is associated with lower IQ. There is a similar argument to be made for cursive script over digital writing - more neurons stimulated in the act of writing.
    Comparing the western world with Nineteen Eighty Four is usually stupid but occasionally aspects of it ring true - newspeak (even if not for the same reasons) is one.

• Advertisement

Gynoid wrote: »
    Ye are late to the party. Its over a week since I was called a Boomer on this very site by someone who didnt like the cut of me jib, and then told me to look in the mirror where I might see a pig digesting a python or vice versa, some such hyperbolic bullsh1t. Hmmm wish I had known it was a "thing" then, woulda wiped the floor with the meme loving fcuker.
    Had a nose for that. Crikey, talk about spouting a bunch of things they heard on YouTube to look intellectual.

What do the ones on the right say about their boomer heroes like Trump and Peterson? Or is it only "leftie" boomers who bother them? :D

(Same applies in the reverse re Obama and Sanders, although the latter is slightly outside the age range, but only just).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

To the kids, anyone of a different "older" generation to them is a "boomer" by internet logic so the original meaning does not matter.

No, most are very aware of the meaning and what ages boomers are. Unfortunately it is mostly the boomers who are unaware of what ages millenialls are, and call them kids, like yourself just did. They are young and not so young adults. I was born in 1980 and when gen x was a thing, I was still in school. So I guess Im what they call an x-ennial, sort of in between the two.

For those having trouble understanding the OK Boomer phrase, it comes out of the awareness that boomers are first of all, the generation largely responsible for the bewildering and terrifying corporate capitalist hellscape that America (and actually, quite a lot of the world, the western world in particular) has become.

And millennials are now fed up trying to explain to them how screwed we are because you quickly realize they either don't get it or don't care, as they are alright jack, they have houses, health insurance, savings, pensions and investments. But they think millennials have it easy because... they have Ipads and Uber.

They call millennials kids... when millenials are on their 20s and 30s. But when they want to point out how they haven't done the stuff that previous generations have all done by the time they are 25, now suddenly we will be told 'you're grown adults, for chrissakes!'

So we've just given up trying in depth communication as it is like talking to a really dumb robot.

Hence, 'ok boomer'.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

I'm ****ing ashamed of this country that a thread and discussion like this can get so many responses. Bunch of morons.

O K B O O M E R
    K
    B
    O
    O
    M
    E
    R

Is it true that Emma Watson's oul' fella is Self-Boomered?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Boomers are parents of generation X surely (well mostly).

Who's the "they" that caused a global financial crash? Not exactly nuanced!

People who say no boomers had a tough time of it are having a laugh.
    Cordell wrote: »
    No, they didn't. The banks (the generation before the boomers) and irresponsible borrowers (gen x) did it. They payed nothing for their homes you say, so they can't be blamed for both.

I wasn't really being that serious but fwiw:

Gen X would generally have been born while Boomers were still coming of age. Gen X would have been born to the generation previous to Boomers, the Silent Generation. Millenials' (born c. 1981-1996) parents are generally boomers. Gen X offspring are Gen Y, people coming of age in the next few years. The lines are very fuzzy but generally, this is what the "major generations" look like.

It was Boomers (people born roughly between 1946-1960) who were at the head of the kinds of organisations whose recklessness caused the banking collapse. There may be some examples heads of banks born outside of those years but for the most part, that's the cohort who led the world into the crash.

It depends on who you blame for the mess, the borrowers who took money they couldn't repay (Gen X) or lenders who gave money to risky debtors (Boomers).

It doesn't really matter whether the origins of the terms used to describe those generations don't have much application in Ireland, since they originated in the US. That's just how those generations are known in the Western World.

Arguing people who are Boomers shouldn't be called Boomers because they weren't born during a baby boom in Ireland is the same as arguing Ireland isn't part of the Western World because it's east of the US. In other words, it's the kind of argument a Boomer would make. :pac:

We are very familiar not only with what ages boomers are, but WHAT they are. They are mostly conservatives, and they are the generation responsible for allowing things like:

-the insane exploitation of sick people by the healthcare companies especially insurance and drug companies

-the ridiculous cost of 3rd level education, while drumming it into the younger generations heads that you need college to get a decent job (which is somewhat the reality, but not totally) and that they should 'follow their dreams. As a result millions are in huge debt yet still can't access these mythical high paying jobs as the boomers still have most of them, having moved into management

-the proliferation of foreign wars for profit

-reducing the accessibility of home ownership, causing people to be stuck renting at high rates with no security of tenure, and likely paying those rents TO a boomer

-turning prisons into a for profit enterprise that are full of non violent drug offenders serving lengthy sentences

-allowing ruthless corporations like Walmart and Amazon to become the largest employers in the nation, where they are paid so little they have to live off food stamps while working, and have no unions, no rights, may not qualify for health insurance depending on hours worked (and believe me, they work it so they give insurance to as few as possible)

And that's without even getting into the climate change stuff. But the ok boomer comes off the back of all that, mainly from the attempts at online discourse from members of that generation on twitter or social media

These attempts fostered a sense of frustration not only from the fact that these ills of modern society were implemented by the boomers, but compounded by that generation's prevailing distancing from the issues and lack of understanding as to why the younger generation is so screwed up now by having to face them. That's why Jordan Peterson got so popular amongst male millennials for a while, he at least made attempts to articulate the challenges and come up with guidance as to how to face them - something many of our parents failed miserably at.

The boomers just don't seem to understand why young people are struggling to cope with what is facing them, especially financially, and it becomes impossible to even decipher if they are actually really that naive and stupid or are wilfully denying the facts to protect their own interests.

This post boomer post gen x generation is the first to be overall in worse shape financially then the generations before them. And when you try to say to one of the older folks how hard things are, they scoff and say, "When I was your age I had 2 kids and a house already. Before that I cut lawns in the summer to pay for my college tuition."

And it doesn't do any good to then show them figures and facts demonstrating how much higher costs of houses and college degrees have risen, and how little wages have risen during the same timespan. When you are stuck working as a barista on a zero hour contract, desperate to get work in the field you studied in and now are in crippling debt as a result, but can't find that better paid work, they will say things like:

"Why don't you go downtown to the head office and ask them if they're hiring?"

It's become increasingly obvious that they just don't want to know any more, and are either oblivious, uncaring or in denial about the struggles of this generation. They think we have it easy because we have the internet and mobile phones, while we would much rather have the spoils THEY have enjoyed since THEY were in their 20s and 30s, like dental care and a secure home.

A lot of these boomers were former hippies, too, and that makes it even more maddening. They went from spouting about peace and love to becoming wealth hoarders and exploiters who have instrumented a substantial widening of the income inequality gap worldwide, and now it's becoming clear that unless the tide turns there won't even be a middle class any more.

But they don't care, or they can't comprehend it, it's one or the other and it's not always clear which it is. So we give up. We just to wait for them to die, and there's no point putting forth any more effort into discourse.

OK boomer?

Gen X is 1965 to 81. Most of their parents are from the baby boomer generation as people had children a lot younger then.

And they got their house at a low cost (those who could afford their own house of course. Plenty still needed social housing) - HANG THEM!!!!

Otherwise, blaming them for the economic crash... so who did they blame for the 80s crash? Who did their parents blame for the great depression. Not a whole generation I'm certain of it. Childish nonsense.

Climate change - only boomers are responsible for that? Again nonsense. Although Trump and his buddies whom right wingers love (but they hate boomers :D) haven't helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

They think we have it easy because we have the internet and mobile phones, while we would much rather have the spoils THEY have enjoyed since THEY were in their 20s and 30s, like dental care and a secure home.
    Well, better yourselves, instead of wasting time on internet (as you do now) and money on phones and ubers and maybe you'll get what they had. You can't blame them for your choices, or for the fact that you have a choice. They never had the choices and opportunities millennials have today.

We are very familiar not only with what ages boomers are, but WHAT they are. They are mostly conservatives, and they are the generation responsible for allowing things like:

-the insane exploitation of sick people by the healthcare companies especially insurance and drug companies

-the ridiculous cost of 3rd level education, while drumming it into the younger generations heads that you need college to get a decent job (which is somewhat the reality, but not totally) and that they should 'follow their dreams. As a result millions are in huge debt yet still can't access these mythical high paying jobs as the boomers still have most of them, having moved into management

-reducing the accessibility of home ownership, causing people to be stuck renting at high rates with no security of tenure, and likely paying those rents TO a boomer

-turning prisons into a for profit enterprise that are full of non violent drug offenders serving lengthy sentences

-allowing ruthless corporations like Walmart and Amazon to become the largest employers in the nation, where they are paid so little they have to live off food stamps while working, and have no unions, no rights, may not qualify for health insurance depending on hours worked (and believe me, they work it so they give insurance to as few as possible)

And that's without even getting into the climate change stuff. But the ok boomer comes off the back of all that, mainly from the attempts at online discourse from members of that generation on twitter or social media

These attempts fostered a sense of frustration not only from the fact that these ills of modern society were implemented by the boomers, but compounded by that generation's prevailing distancing from the issues and lack of understanding as to why the younger generation is so screwed up now by having to face them. That's why Jordan Peterson got so popular amongst male millennials for a while, he at least made attempts to articulate the challenges and come up with guidance as to how to face them - something many of our parents failed miserably at.

The boomers just don't seem to understand why young people are struggling to cope with what is facing them, especially financially, and it becomes impossible to even decipher if they are actually really that naive and stupid or are wilfully denying the facts to protect their own interests.

This post boomer post gen x generation is the first to be overall in worse shape financially then the generations before them. And when you try to say to one of the older folks how hard things are, they scoff and say, "When I was your age I had 2 kids and a house already. Before that I cut lawns in the summer to pay for my college tuition."

And it doesn't do any good to then show them figures and facts demonstrating how much higher costs of houses and college degrees have risen, and how little wages have risen during the same timespan. When you are stuck working as a barista on a zero hour contract, desperate to get work in the field you studied in and now are in crippling debt as a result, but can't find that better paid work, they will say things like:

It's become increasingly obvious that they just don't want to know any more, and are either oblivious, uncaring or in denial about the struggles of this generation. They think we have it easy because we have the internet and mobile phones, while we would much rather have the spoils THEY have enjoyed since THEY were in their 20s and 30s, like dental care and a secure home.

A lot of these boomers were former hippies, too, and that makes it even more maddening. They went from spouting about peace and love to becoming wealth hoarders and exploiters who have instrumented a substantial widening of the income inequality gap worldwide, and now it's becoming clear that unless the tide turns there won't even be a middle class any more.

But they don't care, or they can't comprehend it, it's one or the other and it's not always clear which it is. So we give up. We just to wait for them to die, and there's no point putting forth any more effort into discourse.

OK boomer?

I’d imagine you have just copied the above from a different message board as all your gripes are referring to the US and that’s what people keep pointing out.

The phrase and the movement behind it only make sense when looking at things in the context of the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

OK boomer?
    What a load of utter bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

It was Boomers (people born roughly between 1946-1960) who were at the head of the kinds of organisations whose recklessness caused the banking collapse.
    Yes, you are right. For some reason I thought they were older.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

I’d imagine you have just copied the above from a different message board as all your gripes are referring to the US and that’s what people keep pointing out.

The phrase and the movement behind it only make sense when looking at things in the context of the US.

Sell them a victim status and a demographic to blame for it, it's all the rage in the US now.

What a load of utter bull****.

Walmart?
    Proliferation of foreign wars?
    Wtf?

I don’t know so we need to change our schools curriculum at primary/secondary level to teach people that just because you watch American tv/read the NY times- does not make you an American and you cannot really identify with the majority of what goes on/has gone on in their country.

Gen X is 1965 to 81. Most of their parents are from the baby boomer generation as people had children a lot younger then.

And they got their house at a low cost (those who could afford their own house of course. Plenty still needed social housing) - HANG THEM!!!!

Otherwise, blaming them for the economic crash... so who did they blame for the 80s crash? Who did their parents blame for the great depression. Not a whole generation I'm certain of it. Childish nonsense.

Climate change - only boomers are responsible for that? Again nonsense. Although Trump and his buddies whom right wingers love (but they hate boomers :D) haven't helped.

But again, to be clear, OK Boomer is not about blaming them for the economic crash.

It's about giving up trying to discuss or explain why things are harder now for us financially then they were for boomers.

If you try to enter into a discussion, you will either:

a) get the most asinine, outdated, naive type of advice that will make you want to tear your hair out, because it's so out of touch and uninformed.

Or

b) get called a snowflake or some version of that.

Which will leave you with the same feeling my dog would have if he came sniffing into the kitchen while I was frying up bacon for my breakfast, said 'Hi Buddy, you hungry?'

And proceeded to hand him a carrot. and then tell him to go get a six figure loan to buy himself a better owner if he wanted bacon.

OK boomer?
    I agree with most of what you say - in fact i think you've explained it the best. Most posts here are just effectively "rur ok boomer lol" or "stfu" when people say something they don't like but which they know is correct.

I don't have faith however that most people know what they're talking about when they use the meme. It's like snowflake, SJW, virtue signalling, incel and George Soros - spouted by people ad nauseum without a notion, and thinking they sound so clever. That's what irritates me. My parents are from the boomer generation so yeah I feel a bit defensive of them. The entire generation being tarred is pretty poor form. I know people will say you have to generalise a bit but a bit! Not to this extent. So many boomers themselves live and have lived in terrible hardship. They had to go to Nam, they had to endure segregation. Poverty in the 50s and 80s here. Industrial schools here right up to the 1970s.

And some of those former hippies helped to introduce birth control, improved rights for women, they were at Stonewall, they marched against segregation and got beaten. They marched against Vietnam and got shot dead.

So while I agree that certain folk are very unfair towards millennials, the reverse is very unfair too.

“Frying up bacon” “Hey buddy”

You’re either copying and pasting these responses from a US based message board or you live in some deluded fantasy world where you and your buddies head to the local diner every Friday night after the schools football to meet Betty Sue and the other cheerleaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Someone described this as "a movement"

I've had more impactful movements over a toilet bowl.

Typing a few words on twitter or the like means nothing, inspires nothing, and results in nothing.

It's nothing. Talking about nothing, laughing at nothing, debating nothing, agreeing with nothing, disagreeing with nothing, arguing over nothing, wasting your life on empty Internet nothingness. Like me.

Walmart?
    Proliferation of foreign wars?
    Wtf?

I don’t know so we need to change our schools curriculum at primary/secondary level to teach people that just because you watch American tv/read the NY times- does not make you an American and you cannot really identify with the majority of what goes on/has gone on in their country.

I have spent half my life here and half there, ok boomer?

Why are you in a thread about this if you think it is only an American thing then? Why IS there a thread on it if it only an american issue? The same agegroup screwed the millenials here too, who do you think bailed out the banks and caused emigration? Then when everyone emigrates people like you give out that they're putting on notions from other countries.

This is why this phrase exists, because of your narrow and ignorant views and trying to explain it to the likes of you is like trying to take a pet rock for a walk.

“Frying up bacon” “Hey buddy”

You’re either copying and pasting these responses from a US based message board or you live in some deluded fantasy world where you and your buddies head to the local diner every Friday night after the schools football to meet Betty Sue and the other cheerleaders.

Again, I was born here, grew up there, live here again now for over a decade. Try to wrap your head around it, you can do it if you try.

• Advertisement

I have spent half my life here and half there, ok boomer?

Why are you in a thread about this if you think it is only an American thing then? Why IS there a thread on it if it only an american issue? The same agegroup screwed the millenials here too, who do you think bailed out the banks and caused emigration? Then when everyone emigrates people like you give out that they're putting on notions from other countries.

This is why this phrase exists, because of your narrow and ignorant views and trying to explain it to the likes of you is like trying to take a pet rock for a walk.

I’m probably younger than you.

You don’t seem to have the ability to explain it in a non American context, which is why I think it has no relevance in Ireland.

You seem to have serious anger management problems and inability to get your point across other than engaging in childish insults and generalisations - isn’t the latter one of the reasons why you are attacking older people?

Irish people born in the 50s/60s experienced nothing like the easy life or opportunities that their American counterparts did and it’s funny that you bring up emigration as that would have been something that has been necessary for every Irish generation.

Essentially you don’t know what you’re talking about and you’re just going around calling everyone that doesn’t agree with you a boomer- it’s kinda pathetic and is probably more of a window into why you’re unhappy with how your life has turned out than the actions of anyone else or any other generation.

Advertisement