Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"OK Boomer"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Not really though - it's just bandwagon thinking. So many boomers had to fight in Vietnam. If you were born in the late 40s in the US you could easily have lived in appalling poverty.

Black folks of that age still knew segregation into their teens..

"I'd back millennials" - so stupid. Overall, millennials have of course had a better life. And their lack of awareness of that just proves the point.
    Most "Millenials" would have had a more comfortable upbringing than their parents/grandparents, so what? Their annoyance is based on the previous generations mismanaging the economy and environment to the point that financial stability is a myth for most people aged under thirty and the planet they are inheriting is dying. These are valid and worrying concerns, stop acting like young people should be grateful because they never had to worry about smallpox.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Urquell

200px-BoomerPortrait.jpg

Why the hate? He was a great pilot.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

So you are unable to get your point across nor can you grasp the fairly clear arguments being made against you so you are just going to resort to calling me an idiot?

If you're wondering why you or some of our generation are so angry as people dont listen to them - it's because of how you've played this exact conversation.

No point, no logic and then a sulky rant to finish it off - the problem may not be others....
    I think that last post was clear enough, so I'm going to stop talking to you now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Boomers are disliked because they caused a global financial crisis, paid next to nothing to buy their homes yet seem to think they had a tough time of it, and heavily criticise everyone younger than them for their failings without any sense of irony.

Most people on this site are gen x not boomers.

Boomers tend to be the parents of millenials so there's a natural tension there.

In a fight to the death, I'll be backing the millenials.

Big Racial tensions, rife homophobia, secular states, unprotected sex, AIDS, 1980's Irish Recession, Corporal Punishment, Lack of education opportunities, Lack of choice of lifestyle, Leaving school early and starting work at 14, Cold War. Just some of the things that Boomers had to live through.

And we hark on about Boomers having a house and a job and how they could never possibly understand the challenges we face. Listen, I would not trade positions with them for what they had to go through.

They lived in a much more closed off suspicous world with not much autonomy as an individual due to some the reasons above stated.

Every generation has its challenges. Both sides need to stop belittling each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I think that last post was clear enough, so I'm going to stop talking to you now

Lack of understanding
    Inability to make a point
    Childish insult.
    Attempt at the morale high ground.

As I said- you’ve unintentionally backed up the point that everyone is making about people who use such nonsensical phrases.

Thanks for the contribution

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    Most "Millenials" would have had a more comfortable upbringing than their parents/grandparents, so what? Their annoyance is based on the previous generations mismanaging the economy and environment to the point that financial stability is a myth for most people aged under thirty and the planet they are inheriting is dying. These are valid and worrying concerns, stop acting like young people should be grateful because they never had to worry about smallpox.

Financial stability is a myth. When was financial stability guaranteed? What generation?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Every generation has its challenges. Both sides need to stop belittling each other.

Boomers started it by cluelessly complaining about "millenials" so much for the last 10 years, "ok boomer" is a direct response from Gen X, Millenials and Gen Z to boomers lumping them all together and saying "millenials are lazy, entitled brats and the cause of all todays problems" yet they were the ones in charge that led to all todays problems like climate change and the recession

VinLieger wrote: »
    Boomers started it by cluelessly complaining about "millenials" so much for the last 10 years, "ok boomer" is a direct response from Gen X, Millenials and Gen Z to boomers lumping them all together and saying "millenials are lazy, entitled brats and the cause of all todays problems" yet they were the ones in charge that led to all todays problems like climate change and the recession

And my point would be leave some oul lad sh*te on about snowflakes and other idiotic generalisations.

Don’t bother lowering yourself to it.

Childishly retorting with a generalised term that makes no sense just makes the whole thing look both childish & idiotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭Cordell

ok boomer is the direct response to a snowflake prick (boomer also probably) that said that boomer is just as bad as the n word. It's not, he said boomer and n word, not boomer and n****r, or b word and n word.
    Apart from that, if a boomer feels insulted by the ... b word, that's their problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,651 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

And my point would be leave some oul lad sh*te on about snowflakes and other idiotic generalisations.

Don’t bother lowering yourself to it.

Childishly retorting with a generalised term that makes no sense just makes the whole thing look both childish & idiotic.

The only people being annoyed by it though are the ones who previously would have been shouting about "entitled millenials" i don't think the vast majority of the "boomer" generation, or the people being lumped into it really cares or could give a damn.

Its funny because its riling the exact people who complain about the other generations. IE as has been stated many times before these people can give it out but cannot take it which again is why its happening and why its funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I doubt Gen X are coming to the defence of Millennials, as ive seen it in the last week its just a generic pot shot at anyone in their 60's or older trying to be internet-savvy or otherwise trying to come across as relevant.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ok Coomers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

"Here's how I'll show my objection to unfair generalisations - I'll make unfair generalisations!" :D

No I have acknowledged that millennials face a worrying future, but they can still act like they have had a hard life whereas they know nothing of the hardships many boomers had to face. One faces a worrying time, the other doesn't so much. The other had an easy past, the other generally didn't. Neither will acknowledge it. And obviously only a handful of boomers caused economic disasters. I mean the boomers had to deal with the Wall Street crash. Their parents had to deal with the great depression.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Popeye cartoons played on RTE for years, Goon was the name of mindless characters in the programme I certainly remember hearing the word used in school and elsewhere and I'm under 50.

And that aul sea hag was the first femmist :)

I think it's time to turn off the internet..

The only people being annoyed by it though are the ones who previously would have been shouting about "entitled millenials" i don't think the vast majority of the "boomer" generation, or the people being lumped into it really cares or could give a damn.

Its funny because its riling the exact people who complain about the other generations. IE as has been stated many times before these people can give it out but cannot take it which again is why its happening and why its funny.

Ok but it makes no sense in an Irish context so it seems both pointless and a bit idiotic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

It took ten years to come up with a reply. Jesus millennials really are lazy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Urquell wrote: »
    200px-BoomerPortrait.jpg

Why the hate? He was a great pilot.

Great minds think alike, although this was the Boomer I had in mind with all this :D Still don't know what it is all about though :o

4718d82a4b3e0aa187c630b15312a83d.jpg

Popeye cartoons played on RTE for years, Goon was the name of mindless characters in the programme I certainly remember hearing the word used in school and elsewhere and I'm under 50.

Ok, but that still doesn't change the overall point it's use was imported from America. If the Popeye said ok Boomer would it then be fine to use ok Boomer now?

Great minds think alike, although this was the Boomer I had in mind with all this :D Still don't know what it is all about though :o

4718d82a4b3e0aa187c630b15312a83d.jpg

Boomerdv3.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ok, but that still doesn't change the overall point it's use was imported from America. If the Popeye said ok Boomer would it then be fine to use ok Boomer now?

Just responding to your claim that goon was never said in Ireland in the last 50 years. To me and anyone that used the word , it was another term for idiot.
    As for Boomer it doesn't apply to Ireland, simple. A post war era US term irrelevant to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Do people in Ireland really identify themselves with generational labels created by American marketing firms? Generation X, Generation Z, Millenials. It’s nonsense.

That a dismissive, ageist term has been adopted by a generation supposedly supportive of diversity, equality and inclusion, which rejects even gender labeling is interesting.

That's a bit of a broad generalisation, don't ya think, boomer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

chrissb8 wrote: »
    For a generation (Millenials) that purports about letting people live without labels we suuuure are obsessed with labels.

I'll be the first to say I think something is wrong with my generation. We really are lazy sods in alot of regards and always like playing the blame game. You'd swear every generation didn't have their challenges to overcome.

Millenials blame alot of extenuating factors except themselves. While doing nothing in their life to try and improve themselves and "expecting" something to just happen without putting the work in.

We have an overall victim complex and I feel this "Boomer" stuff is in line with that. That Boomers messed up our planet. They are to blame for the housing crisis. They made the world what it is today. How can we possibly get ahead with the state of things?

So you know how can they say anything with their ignorant opinions etc.

The world is what it is. Get on with it. Or is laying on your bed for 3 hours on your phone after you get in the door from work going to help you get on in life?

Don't know where you're getting the "purports about letting people live without labels" bit. I assume you're talking about the modern social justice orthodoxy, which is unashamedly pro-label from my observations.

It's sad that you've bought into the negative press around your own generation. "Get on with it" is exactly what the vast majority of millenials do - albeit with a bit of moaning. You've got some serious blinkers on if you think self entitlement and complaining is limited to those born between 1981 and 1996.

Just responding to your claim that goon was never said in Ireland in the last 50 years. To me and anyone that used the word , it was another term for idiot.
    As for Boomer it doesn't apply to Ireland, simple. A post war era US term irrelevant to Ireland.

Boomer as it used in "OK boomer" doesn't specifically apply to baby boomers either in the US or people of the same generation here. That's where the word comes from but it isn't what it means today in that context.

The bad news for most of this thread is that "boomer" means any older (30+) person who doesn't understand young people, so you are all included. I certainly am.

If popeye said ok boomer to describe someone born in the United States in the post war bday boom then it would make sense, however you shouldn’t need Popeye to help you decide on your choice of language.

You won’t find Popeye, nor any other character in popular culture, using the phrase to describe an Irish person as it doesn’t make sense to do so.

As explained previously- it is a phrase used to describe a certain generation born in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

That's a bit of a broad generalisation, don't ya think, boomer?

Of course it’s a generalisation but that does not make it untrue.
    By definition I am not a boomer but thank you for playing.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

And a ****** is just a bundle of sticks right? Insults don't have to be relevant or make sense, they need to be insulting

Boomer as it used in "OK boomer" doesn't specifically apply to baby boomers either in the US or people of the same generation here. That's where the word comes from but it isn't what it means today in that context.

The bad news for most of this thread is that "boomer" means any older (30+) person who doesn't understand young people, so you are all included. I certainly am.
    It's an American term that is irrelevant in Ireland saying it is doesn't make it so.

And a ****** is just a bundle of sticks right? Insults don't have to be relevant or make sense, they need to be insulting

It's also a snack still being sold in the UK. It can only be an insult if the victim of intended insult is aware of the meaning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

debok wrote: »
    It took ten years to come up with a reply. Jesus millennials really are lazy!!!

No it took 10 years for boomers to figure out the internets and read the reply

Advertisement