Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"OK Boomer"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

L1011 wrote: »
    That would have all been done by the parents and grandparents of the age group being criticised, though.

Not necessarily - look at the dates when free secondary education became available in Ireland. People born in '46 would have been 20 and able to vote.

Same for other countries - the direct post war years was just the start of the process whereby all the aforementioned services became more readily available.

The book is an excellent read actually if you're interested in Economic/Political history

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

It is funny to see a forum that can't get enough shots in at milennials suddenly take offence at people mocking another generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

It is funny to see a forum that can't get enough shots in at suddenly take offence at people mocking another generation.

I think you may be mistaken, the posts you talk about are milennials mocking Gen Z. Although it's not unusual to see gen z mocking gen z while thinking they are mocking milennials.
    The vast majority of posters on here are milennials.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 418 ✭✭high_king

It is funny to see a forum that can't get enough shots in at milennials suddenly take offence at people mocking another generation.

Ok Turkey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Everything was better in the olden days. In fact, the further you go back the better it was. Oh to be a fish with rudimentary feet.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDNHkfF363-wqHTZh-8nN04bHHSTeAcu-ckxRb7RlM-F3mfXqP&s

• Advertisement

tuxy wrote: »
    I think you may be mistaken, the posts you talk about are milennials mocking Gen Z. Although it's not unusual to see gen z mocking gen z while thinking they are mocking milennials.

Given the amount of complaining there is about milennials, I doubt that. There are a lot of bitter old farts on this forum who are still complaining about skinny jeans.

Everything was better in the olden days. In fact, the further you go back the better it was. Oh to be a fish with rudimentary feet.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDNHkfF363-wqHTZh-8nN04bHHSTeAcu-ckxRb7RlM-F3mfXqP&s

Looks like even Nostalgia is not as good as it used to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Well, I am emphatically not, and to prove it I will just add:

'millennials', ffs.

Given the amount of complaining there is about milennials, I doubt that. There are a lot of bitter old farts on this forum who are still complaining about skinny jeans.

You think most posters are over 40?
    Maybe, I guess most younger people have moved on to reddit and sites like that.

I'm an old fart - I'm disputing 'bitter' - who wears skinny jeans.

• Advertisement

You think most posters are over 40?
    Maybe, I guess most younger people have moved on to reddit and sites like that.

Or maybe a lot of the people who mock milennials are milennials themselves. A lot of people don't understand the term.
    davedanon wrote: »
    I'm an old fart - I'm disputing 'bitter' - who wears skinny jeans.

I'm not on about you then.

Or maybe a lot of the people who mock milennials are milennials themselves. A lot of people don't understand the term.

That's it exactly. They are mocking themselves without realising.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Designed as an a insult by a generation who have wanted for nothing and know no lack of parental and state support but who remain infantily jealous of anyone they perceive of having anything more than they have - right here - right now.

Actually have to earn or wait for what you want now? Fuk that! Tell the previous generation 'How dare they!' And ''you'll never forgive them' *Bastards *Shakes fists

3ftnl9.jpg

And yes folks we have the sad eejits using this oxymoron here on boards already...

Discussion? Nah throw ****e instead ;)

As I understand it, millennials are those who came of age, rather than been born, around the turn of the century. So they'd be thirtysomethings now. Is that right?

I approve of "Ok, boomer", myself. It serves as an appropriately irritating counterpoint to "snowflake".

gozunda wrote: »
    Designed as an a insult by a generation who have wanted for nothing and know no lack of parental and state support but who remain infantily jealous of anyone they perceive of having anything more than they have - right here - right now.

The ironic thing is that by pushing and promoting ageism now, they are shooting their old age selves in the foot. They must think they are never going to be older. Not the sharpest generation these snowflakes.

"OK Turkey" is the perfect reply to them.

As I understand it, millennials are those who came of age, rather than been born, around the turn of the century. So they'd be thirtysomethings now. Is that right?

Correct.

high_king wrote: »

Is that because of Turkey's very poor humanitarian record?

The ironic thing is that by pushing and promoting ageism now, they are shooting their old age selves in the foot. They must think they are never going to be older. Not the sharpest generation these snowflakes.

Labelling "ok, boomer" ageism is spectacularly missing the point. Or rather, proving it. Would you go so far as calling it "The n-word of ageism", hmm?

Labelling "ok, boomer" ageism is spectacularly missing the point. Or rather, proving it. Would you go so far as calling it "The n-word of ageism", hmm?

The "OK Boomer" slur is directed at a certain age group. No different to directing slurs a certain sex or skin colour.
    There are Turkeys at all ages, so explain how that is ageism ?

I approve of "Ok, boomer", myself. It serves as an appropriately irritating counterpoint to "snowflake".

You are correct on both counts.

• Advertisement

Explain how what is ageism? I didn't mention turkeys, dude. That was you.

And, I don't think turkeys get to live that long. Even wild ones.

The "OK Boomer" slur is directed at a certain age group. No different to directing slurs a certain sex or skin colour.

Then boards has been full of slurs for years. There have been multiple threads on how awful milennials are.

Explain how what is ageism? I didn't mention turkeys, dude. That was you.

Ageism is this, american person :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ageism

Then boards has been full of slurs for years. There have been multiple threads on how awful milennials are.

Then target those who are ageist, not those of a certain age. Get the irony ?
    Should you target white people instead of racists ?

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Whether it's a particular age or generation is less reliant than the fact it is directed at an older one. Hence the point is valid... It's ironic that anyone using it is paving the way to be on the recieving end in a few short years

To address your edited post. You have heard of 'punching down/up'? Boomers are, you know, white, privileged, affluent, male. The notion that this group would cry 'discrimination' at 'ok, boomer' is actually offensive to those who are genuine victims of discrimination and bigotry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Not sure if I'm taking you up wrong but can't see how the term 'ok boomer' is ageist?
    What does 'OK boomer' mean?

A "boomer" is shorthand for a baby boomer - someone born between 1946 and 1964...

In internet parlance, "OK boomer" is a derogatory phrase used primarily by the next generations to show their indignation towards older people deemed indifferent to their concerns. It is used widely on platforms like Twitter and TikTok.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-50327034

Ageism is this, american person :
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ageism

american person?

• Advertisement

The bloody irony is anyone labelling 'ok, boomer' ageist with no sense of irony, ffs.

Advertisement