Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"OK Boomer"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

RWCNT wrote: »
    Don't know where you're getting the "purports about letting people live without labels" bit. I assume you're talking about the modern social justice orthodoxy, which is unashamedly pro-label from my observations.

It's sad that you've bought into the negative press around your own generation. "Get on with it" is exactly what the vast majority of millenials do - albeit with a bit of moaning. You've got some serious blinkers on if you think self entitlement and complaining is limited to those born between 1981 and 1996.

I didn't buy into any press about my generation. I am one of my generation. I grew up with my generation and I have experienced the pitfalls and setbacks of our generation. From coming out of school around the financial crisis to now dealing with the threat to our environment. My opinions are formulated from life experience. Not someone online or in the paper telling me otherwise.

I'm no entreprenuer or roaring success by any means. But I can appreciate what I have and in the event of what I don't have I know I have to work for it. That seems to escape alot of people in and around my age.

It's an American term that is irrelevant in Ireland saying it is doesn't make it so.

If it is used by people in Ireland (and it is) then how is it irrelevant in Ireland?

That doesn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭boring accountant

As for Boomer it doesn't apply to Ireland, simple. A post war era US term irrelevant to Ireland.

This is such a boomer post. Boomer in the context it's used by kids today doesn't mean baby boomer. It's taken on a life of its own. You're a boomer, I wouldn't expect you to get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

If it is used by people in Ireland (and it is) then how is it irrelevant in Ireland?

Never heard it used in Ireland. First reference was here.
    The term still doesn't apply to Ireland as much as some numpties wish for it to.

Because anything American is thereby foreign and has no place in Irish culture, said the boomer

• Advertisement

Because anything American is thereby foreign and has no place in Irish culture, said the boomer

Happy to acknowledge the good stuff and ignore the bollixology of which there is much, the boomer idiocy being the most obvious.

chrissb8 wrote: »
    I didn't buy into any press about my generation. I am one of my generation. I grew up with my generation and I have experienced the pitfalls and setbacks of our generation. From coming out of school around the financial crisis to now dealing with the threat to our environment. My opinions are formulated from life experience. Not someone online or in the paper telling me otherwise.

I'm no entreprenuer or roaring success by any means. But I can appreciate what I have and in the event of what I don't have I know I have to work for it. That seems to escape alot of people in and around my age.

https://hbr.org/2016/08/millennials-are-actually-workaholics-according-to-research

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Closest we have is those born during or who grew up during the Celtic tiger.

Happy to acknowledge the good stuff and ignore the bollixology of which there is much, the boomer idiocy being the most obvious.

Resistance to all things new is a peculiar characteristic of the boomer

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    Closest we have is those born during or who grew up during the Celtic tiger.

Or those who became rich simply by buying a house in the 80's and doing not much else else since. Aka, the boomer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Ye are late to the party. Its over a week since I was called a Boomer on this very site by someone who didnt like the cut of me jib, and then told me to look in the mirror where I might see a pig digesting a python or vice versa, some such hyperbolic bullsh1t. Hmmm wish I had known it was a "thing" then, woulda wiped the floor with the meme loving fcuker.

How is this relevant to Ireland?

Sorry boomer, if you click on the blue text it opens up a new webpage with more words in it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It's also a snack still being sold in the UK. It can only be an insult if the victim of intended insult is aware of the meaning.

No it's an insult if people get insulted by it, even if they are unaware but get wound up, it's still serving it's purpose.

Resistance to all things new is a peculiar characteristic of the boomer
    Nothing new in insulting sections of society, it has been done for centuries usually with an agenda.

No it's an insult if people get insulted by it, even if they are unaware but get wound up, it's still serving it's purpose.

You can't insult someone if they are unaware that you are insulting them.
    A wind up and an insult are two totally different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Elder millennial here. I think OK Boomer is just the snowflakes way of saying "whatever fúcko", but they don't want to be offensive cos they're a snowflake.

Or it's just a load of pish on the internet that has no business of being in the day to day lexicon when speaking face to face with someone

¯\(ツ)/¯

Nothing new in insulting sections of society, it has been done for centuries usually with an agenda.

Boomer: *spends decades discriminating on the basis of race, gender and sexuality*
    *calls new generation snowflakes for not liking it*

*gets called out of touch*
    Guys stop with the insults PLEASE!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

Sorry boomer, if you click on the blue text it opens up a new webpage with more words in it.

I've no problem younger generations using whatever terms they want to piss off older peoples, it's always happened and they do take a lot of stick.

But jesus christ do millennials struggle with comedy.

You can't insult someone if they are unaware that you are insulting them.
    A wind up and an insult are two totally different things.

Totally wrong. Those are the best insults.

• Advertisement

Boomer: *spends decades discriminating on the basis of race, gender and sexuality*
    *calls new generation snowflakes for not liking it*

*gets called out of touch*
    Guys stop with the insults PLEASE!

Racists, bigots basically assholes transcend the generations , you'll have to try harder if you are trying to be specific about the behaviour of a certain generation. As you are failing with the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I thought it was funny yesterday.

Today I'm totally bored with it.

Totally wrong. Those are the best insults.

Not if the intended victim is unaware. Abject failure is all they are in that instance.

Not if the intended victim is unaware. Abject failure is all they are in that instance.

Subtlety is lost on boomers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

It's another one on the list of phrases I've never actually heard said, but I have heard people refute and claim is said all the time.

Like the supposed phrase "romance is dead" when really the only time you'll hear that said is as part of "and they say romance is dead".

I've also never met a Cork person who actually says Cork is the real capital of Ireland. I've only heard others claim Cork people say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,344 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ok Boomer wrote: »

The joke comes from the stereotypical retired middle class American who can't comprehend why his son doesn't just 'go down to the Chrysler plant, ask to speak to manager and get a job like I did, back in '74'.

The Chrysler plant.

It's almost like you are a real American.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I read about it this morning - Danuel Kaufman has an article today on The Electric Agora. He argues that its a weakness symptom.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

Arghus wrote: »
    The Chrysler plant.

Probably just has the affected accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Subtlety is lost on boomers.

You’re not very subtle! You’re just covering your ears and shouting boomer at everyone.

And no I’m not a boomer, just because someone disagrees with you does not make them 40 years older than you- people your own age can also point out your childishness

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »
    The Chrysler plant.

Probably just more at ease with his identity as an Irish man than the stodgy conservative Irish types who see any kind of cultural cross pollination from the states as being a sign of some sort of personality defect.

Advertisement