Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Syrian refugee student wins state scholarship

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Roversfan1

The immigrant girl won a scholarship and all the chicken little conspiracy theorists drop a load in their khakis. Amusing and sad.

I guess you just read headlines and that's enough for you.....and people get angry with they find out they've been manipulated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭jmreire

recedite wrote: »
    Economic sanctions designed to cripple them, from 2011..

And that was before some of the oil wells were actually seized from them.

The oil well's never stopped producing oil...it was just who was benefiting from the sale's. Just because the EU stopped importing, does not mean the oil sales stopped, so the sanctions would not have had much bearing in those circumstance's. Turkey were major buyer's of Syrian oil.. but they bought from isis ( and so did Assad, believe it or not ) oil was the main reason Turkey shot down the Russian War plane,if you remember that incident? Russian passenger plane was blown up while flying from Sharm El Sheik in Egypt. The bomb was attributed to isis, so in retaliation Putin started bombing oil convoys leaving the isis controlled oil field's. Erdogan ( or rather his son, who manages the Oil Business in Turkey ) then retaliated by shooting down the Russian war plane.
    so there you have it..even if there had not been any EU oil sanctions...the oil was of no financial benefit the Syrian Govt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Cheating is a harsh word.
    The family have certainly played the system here for all it was worth, and been incredibly successful at it.
    The girl herself must have studied hard. Did we ever see her actual Leaving Cert grades? I mean before applying any bonus points for the HPAT and for being a disadvantaged asylum seeker and/or attending a Deis school, and disregarding the RCSI interview which obviously went very well. Of course this is also great publicity RCSI, who also make a lot of money in their Dubai operation.

Just the bare exam results. The newspaper article said she did very well in 2 subjects. Surely when so much public money is being awarded, the bare exam results should be made public?

By 'played' do you mean like a pensioner played the system by getting a pension?
    Played makes it sound like they lied somewhere and commuted a fraud.
    Are you also questioning the validity of the scholarship?
    Is there anything honest about this Syrian refugee getting a scholarship? Should we be calling for her arrest rather than congratulating her? Have you called Garda patrol?
    Do you ask for KPMG to audit the Rose of Tralee judgments?

Roversfan1 wrote: »
    I guess you just read headlines and that's enough for you.....and people get angry with they find out they've been manipulated :D

No. I don't write my own accompanying opinion piece based on personal biases and misconstrue it as fact, if that's what you mean?
    Is that what the bigots called 'woke'? We're all manipulated. Some believe all media has one agenda and are out to get them :)

By 'played' do you mean like a pensioner played the system by getting a pension?
    Played makes it sound like they lied somewhere and commuted a fraud.
    Are you also questioning the validity of the scholarship?
    Is there anything honest about this Syrian refugee getting a scholarship? Should we be calling for her arrest rather than congratulating her? Have you called Garda patrol?

They were then placed in a direct provision centre in Monaghan.....

“My mother and I were in a room that wasn’t very big. There was the issue of food and I was used to my mother’s home cooking, it was very difficult.

“It was one of the hardest moments of my life."

I did not understand the suffering these people went through......From now on, I will never ever EVER question anything related to the DP/Asylum process

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

jmreire wrote: »
    ...so there you have it..even if there had not been any EU oil sanctions...the oil was of no financial benefit the Syrian Govt.
    Maybe, but they have regained control over most of the country now, including many of the oil wells. I'm not sure what proportion of them exactly, but "many" of them.
    So you still favour our economic sanctions against Syria, or not?

They were then placed in a direct provision centre in Monaghan.....

“My mother and I were in a room that wasn’t very big. There was the issue of food and I was used to my mother’s home cooking, it was very difficult.

“It was one of the hardest moments of my life."

I did not understand the suffering these people went through......From now on, I will never ever EVER question anything related to the DP/Asylum process

Ah see, there's your err. This is about a Syrian refugee winning a scholarship.
    If you've issues with Syria, (is it really a country?), Refugee process, (is anyone really a refugee?) or Girls, (sure they're just fellas with no willy), then you're in the wrong thread.

I'm not claiming to single out Syrians as deserving better.

Yes, I have met Syrians before. Played indoor soccer with some of them.
    What has this got to do with you or anyone like you sponsoring these people? Did you get on to Rory?

Well for one thing, you are critical of the so called " Laptop Warrior's" as you called me. I wondered what you had done yourself ? Syria has been in a full scale war since 2011, and its only now that it's starting return to normal in some area's, so of course it's been in the headline's a lot ***. and as I have lot of Syrian friend's, of course I'm interested in Syria, maybe I'm a bit biased.
    I have not yet contacted Rory...until an hour or so ago, I did not even know his name. So I take it that you are a member of the IRC?
    Did you find them good football player's?? or try chess with them? The Syrian's I mean....not the IRC

*** ( But it's being over taken by Yemen now, in terms of death
    and destruction and it is a humanitarian catastrophe on a massive scale )

If you've issues with Syria, (is it really a country?), Refugee process, (is anyone really a refugee?) or Girls, (sure they're just fellas with no willy), then you're in the wrong thread.

I have an issue with the scam artist industry. This girl and her family saw an opportunity and took it.....lots of people are doing it.

I'd probably do the same thing myself. I have no issue with this girl. I have an issue with our system and I again will say, if anyone truly cares about so called refugees, get up off your backside and initiate a program to sponsor one in your town or whatever.

Do you need the email.....of course you don't, you're not interested in actually doing anything

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

So people are not allowed question things, Matt?

No you are not.

Just be a good little boy/girl, listen to your betters and STFU with your inconvenient questions.
    Hell you are as good as a conspiracy theorist at this stage (see earlier post accusing someone of this).

This is a good new story showing how wonderful asylum seekers are and how beneficial they are to this country. :rolleyes:

It is like everything the modern media do these days, it is half ar**ed attempt usually leaving even more questions.
    As always nowadays with the media in their rush to latch on to a story, to back up their narrative about certain topics, they don't stop to think and do some critical research.

Anyone remember the aged Dalkey/Kiliney couple adopted by the media as example of the poor elderly being turfed out of their homes by the evil banks/vulture funds ?
    Anyone remember the poor unfortunate homeless men left to die by the uncaring state and it's authorities ?
    Anyone remember the poor homeless lady and her poor children so destitude they had to seek refuge in the Garda Station?
    Funny how all those quickly adopted to push certain agendas turned out to be not so factual in the end.

Oh the usual ones on board with the message lap it up and go off shouting how marvelous (or sad in the case of some stories) it is.

But some others start delving into the back story and then we start finding out the inconvenient facts that don't quite fit in with the headlines nor the ultimate picture being painted.

This girl isn't the usual story of Syrian refugees fleeing war, queuing at borders, staying in refugee camps, braving seas in a dingy.
    She was out of Syria possibly before the war really kicked off, or at least at the beginning of it, she was living with parents in a safe country, parents who would be reasonably affluent and in some form of reasonable accommodation.
    Oh and she definitely did not travel on a boat anywhere more like a Boeing 777 emirates flight.

Some articles spell out more of the facts, but some others jump from Syria straight through to DP in Ireland.
    Some mention UAE but just mention "staying for a while " ommitting the years part.
    Why?

The critical and perhaps more cynical amongst us see it as them selecting the facts to suit their agenda where as the gullible or already vested see it as advancing and reinforcing their viewpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

^^^^^^^^^

The media are resembling Bart’s People more and more every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

then you're in the wrong thread.
    A thread on here isn't a political party broadcast. Questions will be asked on any and every detail. If everything is bona fide they will have an answer. I don't think it is possible to guarantee that the questions will align comfortably with any given viewpoint. In fact, it is a much better thread for it if they do not.

Maybe, but they have regained control over most of the country now, including many of the oil wells. I'm not sure what proportion of them exactly, but "many" of them.
    So you still favour our economic sanctions against Syria, or not?

I have already explained what I think about sanction's recedite,,but here it is again:-
    Sanctions which affect the majority of the population, in areas of Health, Food, Shelter and Security. No I don't support any sanctions which affect any of the above.
    Sanctions which prevent the regime from waging war ( especially on their own citizens ) Yes, these I support 100%.
    Now for all-the -in-between- Sanctions, they can be categorized on how they relate to the above two examples. Doe's that answer your question?
    And as for the oil well's controlled by the Govt...that oil will be sold for sure..oil has to be one of the most transactional medium's in existence. They will find buyers for it or maybe give it to Russia as part payment for " Services Rendered"...I'm sure that there is a tab running there now....and it will take a lot more than what the wells are producing presently.....and possibly for many years to come. War is not cheap. I seem to remember reading somewhere lately that the Falklands War cost Britain 1.9 Billion back in 1982, and costs many millions each year to maintain it's presence there. In 2017, it cost £97 million., So selling / trading the oil will not be a problem..Country's have a knack of getting around sanctions too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

jmreire wrote: »
    I have already explained what I think about sanction's recedite,,but here it is again:-
    Sanctions which affect the majority of the population, in areas of Health, Food, Shelter and Security. No I don't support any sanctions which affect any of the above.
    Sanctions which prevent the regime from waging war ( especially on their own citizens ) Yes, these I support 100%.
    Now for all-the -in-between- Sanctions, they can be categorized on how they relate to the above two examples. Doe's that answer your question?
    And as for the oil well's controlled by the Govt...that oil will be sold for sure..oil has to be one of the most transactional medium's in existence. They will find buyers for it or maybe give it to Russia as part payment for " Services Rendered"...I'm sure that there is a tab running there now....and it will take a lot more than what the wells are producing presently.....and possibly for many years to come. War is not cheap. I seem to remember reading somewhere lately that the Falklands War cost Britain 1.9 Billion back in 1982, and costs many millions each year to maintain it's presence there. In 2017, it cost £97 million., So selling / trading the oil will not be a problem..Country's have a knack of getting around sanctions too.
    So much wriggling. EU countries won't buy Syrian oil and that hits them hard. I'm just asking if you think that decision should be reversed now?

I have an issue with the scam artist industry. This girl and her family saw an opportunity and took it.....lots of people are doing it.

I'd probably do the same thing myself. I have no issue with this girl. I have an issue with our system and I again will say, if anyone truly cares about so called refugees, get up off your backside and initiate a program to sponsor one in your town or whatever.

Do you need the email.....of course you don't, you're not interested in actually doing anything

You've gone off road on this. On the one hand you've no issue with the girl. However you think availing of a process legally and correctly is somehow to be frowned upon?
    You have issue with the system and are suggesting anyone who supports it are a hypocrite?

Yes I've zero interest in sponsoring a refugee. I do think we should be assisting refugees. I'm cool with my taxes going towards that.

My comments are based on the fact, the girl won a scholarship, we can assume, fair and square. She's a refugee, so it garnered interest. People seem to be losing their **** over it, but don't have a problem. :confused:

So much wriggling. EU countries won't buy Syrian oil and that hits them hard. I'm just asking if you think that decision should be reversed now?

No wriggling on my part. I have explained very clearly what I personally think about the sanctions and the oil situation
    For any other answer's, you will have to ask the EU what they are planning for
    the Syria sanctions.
    What I think ( or not ) will not affect their decision's one way or another.

You have issue with the system and are suggesting anyone who supports it are a hypocrite?

Yes I've zero interest in sponsoring a refugee.

I mean I knew this already but good to see it in black and white.

Not many people own up to virtue signalling. This is quite refreshing for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭enricoh

Ah, we're only allowed mention the scholarship folks.
    Things not up for discussion :
    She left Syria for dubai n lived there for a few years. Had the war even started?
    Her ma n her left dubai to claim asylum in ireland. Why? What was the threat?
    Her oul boy stayed in dubai at his engineering role working for a few years after that- was he not under threat too?
    She was 9 months in direct provision, did the government provide a house n welfare for them after that? Or did the oul lad shell out some of his tax free dollars?
    No doubt some journalist with or without a willy will fill in the blanks in this weekends papers matt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭1641

Cheating is a harsh word.
    The family have certainly played the system here for all it was worth, and been incredibly successful at it.
    The girl herself must have studied hard. Did we ever see her actual Leaving Cert grades? I mean before applying any bonus points for the HPAT and for being a disadvantaged asylum seeker and/or attending a Deis school, and disregarding the RCSI interview which obviously went very well. Of course this is also great publicity RCSI, who also make a lot of money in their Dubai operation.

Just the bare exam results. The newspaper article said she did very well in 2 subjects. Surely when so much public money is being awarded, the bare exam results should be made public?

This is not sad. Sad would suggest you are just simply deluded. This is a straight combination of lies and smear for malicious purposes. All of the above have been discussed before on this thread to which to you have contributed throughout.

She qualified for the course in medicine through the CAO process. This is a combination of Leaving Cert points and HPAT scores. There are no bonus points for HPAT for being an asylum seeker, or anythng else. She had to obtain a place through the normal CAO route to be eligible for the Campbell Bursary.There is no interview for undergraduate entry to medicine in RCSI (at least for Irish/EU entrants - the route she would have to follow for both the Bursary and free fees). So no interview which "obviously went very well" for her, as you sneeringly put it.

The Bursary was open to all graduates of DEIS schools who took at least two science subjects in their Leaving Cert and who secured a place in medicine or relevant third level science degree course through the CAO. She was neither advantaged nor disadvantaged relative to any other DEIS graduates who took two science subjects.

Having met the above conditions, the award goes to the candidate with the highest overall mark in any combination of two science subjects in the Leaving Cert. All above board - with clear cut criteria.

And just to cover another smear you alluded to in an earlier post. This Bursary was only launched in May of this year. So she couldn't have cunningly schemed, as you implied, to have attended a DEIS school to study for the Leaving Cert all along so as to have qualified for eligibility for the award.

Any of the above can be verified by searching the relevant information for the Bursary, for the RCSI and the CAO. Of course, I have no doubt that this will not inhibit you from continuing to smear and dissemble.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Why anyone would leave Dubai to come live in the rain in the west of Ireland is beyond me.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

enricoh wrote: »
    Ah, we're only allowed mention the scholarship folks.
    Things not up for discussion :
    She left Syria for dubai n lived there for a few years. Had the war even started?
    Her ma n her left dubai to claim asylum in ireland. Why? What was the threat?
    Her oul boy stayed in dubai at his engineering role working for a few years after that- was he not under threat too?
    She was 9 months in direct provision, did the government provide a house n welfare for them after that? Or did the oul lad shell out some of his tax free dollars?
    No doubt some journalist with or without a willy will fill in the blanks in this weekends papers matt!

"Not up for discussion"? Thats not true, the answers are given in the linked news article and discussed in this thread. She fled Syria three years ago. The conflict started before this in 2011. According to Amnesty International, United Arab Emirates have offered very little resettlement opportunities to Syrian refugees. She said her parents were very good in the sense that they got them out before she could experience anything major in Syria. She would only have been 9 when the war broke out, so you would imagine not being able to comprehend war at that age. She said Direct provision was very tough as a 14-year-old, especially because of all the paperwork: She said her mother's English wasn't that great, so the burden of understanding and completing the forms, such as getting a GP or replying to the Department of Justice letters, was on her shoulders. Pretty stressful thing to have to do for your family when you are that age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

I'm not seeing the fuss about this girl. Her parents are both engineers, so she clearly comes from a well-educated family. One doesn't just walk into a school in another country, get 600 points in the Leaving, and go to university on a scholarship without already being bright and highly motivated.

We have a tendency to see refugees as poorly educated, but that's not always the case. Anyone can be displaced by conflict.

All the best to her, but "Child from educated background wins scholarship" is not especially remarkable, regardless of her refugee status.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

And you should write to the Bangladeshi government telling them how alarmed they should be by their imminent population decline.

Are we allowed to say that they came from UAE, or is that verboten? I mean, that's a big deal, why did they leave UAE? There might have been genuinely good reasons to leave UAE.. it is possible that the government there wasn't very hospitable... but we aren't likely to know if nobody asks the question (if they are allowed to). So are they allowed to?

You’re allowed to say whatever you want. You’re allowed to be be bigoted xenophobic ***** if that’s what you really want.

You’re allowed to question why they came from the UAE.

You’re allowed to do lots of things that no decent person would do. Doesn’t mean you should though.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

FYP ;)

They are allowed to work and contribute once given asylum, just not while their application is processed. Happy ? You should be.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I'm not seeing the fuss about this girl. Her parents are both engineers, so she clearly comes from a well-educated family. One doesn't just walk into a school in another country, get 600 points in the Leaving, and go to university on a scholarship without already being bright and highly motivated.

We have a tendency to see refugees as poorly educated, but that's not always the case. Anyone can be displaced by conflict.

All the best to her, but "Child from educated background wins scholarship" is not especially remarkable, regardless of her refugee status.

I would say as others have mentioned its the soft bigotry of low expectations, in a week where have had two immigrants done for raping a girl and the leaders of the country not only saying we had a problem but that our department of justice was lying about what it planned to implement in a small town.

This story was floated out to counter act all the negative and create a feelgood story.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Brian? wrote: »
    You’re allowed to say whatever you want. You’re allowed to be be bigoted xenophobic ***** if that’s what you really want.

You’re allowed to do lots of things that no decent person would do. Doesn’t mean you should though.

If I could thank this twice... I'd thank it three times.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Brian? wrote: »

This usual emotional sh*te again?

This usual emotional sh*te again?

You disagree with my point?

What’s actually wrong with being emotional?

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

28 pages of boards.ie arguing over whether a talented teenage kid should be given a scholarship. The mind boggles.

Best of luck to her. Hope one of you goes crying to an ER like a little baby one day and has to have your life (or a close family member’s life) saved by her at some point - that would be glorious karma for some of the bigots on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,725 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ah Racists stewing in their own hate and ignorance.

It is glorious to watch.

I guess we can dispense with the usual trope of "we are not racist we are just concerned about immigration".

Advertisement