Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,702 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

eltonyio wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm not aware of anyone locally moving out but some neighbours have recently added fibre alright so this sounds plausible.

What's an ONT?

How do I go about getting it investigated? Most of the operators are responding with a 'computer says no' type response?

An ONT is a Optical Network Terminal - a small white box about the size of two cigarette packets with 3 status LEDs on it. The optical cable and a DC power lead plug into it and the circuitry inside authenticates (I believe?) and converts the incoming laser encoded light into electrical signals and outputs that via an Ethernet cable to a router. Likewise it uses incoming ethernet data to encode a laser it fires back down the fibre.

Email Martin at Airwire.ie and he will most likely look into it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭eltonyio

I've still had no luck with getting FTTH, despit it being in my area for years now.

I've figured out this week that if I check availability on airwire's site with my eircode it says ports full, but every other neighbour on my road, including those in front, behind and either side of me, all say with ports available.

What would happen if I ordered fibre using a neighbour's eircode? I.e a neighbour who already has it in.

Edit to add - thanks for the reply last week - I've phoned and emailed Airwire this week too but nothing back yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

eltonyio wrote: »

What would happen if I ordered fibre using a neighbour's eircode? I.e a neighbour who already has it in.

If the provider does it right it'll come out as install a modem and verify insitu ftth
    Engineer will show up and see its the wrong house and that there is in fact no insitu fibre in your address.
    He won't pull your neibhours line out to stick you in his port.
    If it comes out wrong ie a new line provide it'll be ports full can't place an order.
    With a bit of luck opener might audit the DPS and verify what is free for use.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭choronzonix

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is a way of contacting Open Eir to query whether a FTTH unit that is right outside of my home on a telephone pole is going to be activated or what the story is with it? I tried emailing open eir directly but received an automated reply that i'd have to check with my 'provider', but i'm currently with Imagine (and they're pretty bad lol). Does anyone know if there's a way of making this kind of an enquiry?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is a way of contacting Open Eir to query whether a FTTH unit that is right outside of my home on a telephone pole is going to be activated or what the story is with it? I tried emailing open eir directly but received an automated reply that i'd have to check with my 'provider', but i'm currently with Imagine (and they're pretty bad lol). Does anyone know if there's a way of making this kind of an enquiry?

Stick your eircode in here and see what it says under FTTH

• Advertisement

daraghwal wrote: »
    Stick your eircode in here and see what it says under FTTH

It says 'not available'. I checked a couple of other eircodes nearby - one that is 2 houses up the road has it available though.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

It says 'not available'. I checked a couple of other eircodes nearby - one that is 2 houses up the road has it available though.

i have the exact same problem.

new build three years ago. pole with cabinet in my garden.

ftth available to every other house on the road bar ours....

very very annoying

feelpablo wrote: »
    i have the exact same problem.

new build three years ago. pole with cabinet in my garden.

ftth available to every other house on the road bar ours....

very very annoying

Are either of your houses new builds? When you zoom in on the fibre roll-out-map, what does it say?

cnocbui wrote: »
    Are either of your houses new builds? When you zoom in on the fibre roll-out-map, what does it say?

yep newly built house, just in it three years last week.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10164479044245456&set=a.161669610455

ill let you guess which house is mine!

feelpablo wrote: »
    yep newly built house, just in it three years last week.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=10164479044245456&set=a.161669610455

ill let you guess which house is mine!

Well there is a good chance that is your problem in that your house post dates the port allocation process. Earlier in in the thread it's been pointed out that there is supposed to be a process by which new build can be added, but i don't think anyone developed the process formally. Perhaps contact Comreg and ask how it can be done or contact Airwire.ie and see if thay can get your Eir code added.

• Advertisement

Well there is a good chance that is your problem in that your house post dates the port allocation process. Earlier in in the thread it's been pointed out that there is supposed to be a process by which new build can be added, but i don't think anyone developed the process formally. Perhaps contact Comreg and ask how it can be done or contact Airwire.ie and see if thay can get your Eir code added.

Ill try that thanks

My house isn't a new build, and i'm renting.

I've attached a screenshot from openeir showing my house.

My house isn't a new build, and i'm renting.

I've attached a screenshot from openeir showing my house.

There don't appear to be any blue dots marking houses with FTTH allocated, nor does that road have a fibre route blue line along it, so unless you deselected those in the map settings, it looks like the only type of fibre available is ADSL fibre to the cabinet.

There don't appear to be any blue dots marking houses with FTTH allocated, nor does that road have a fibre route blue line along it, so unless you deselected those in the map settings, it looks like the only type of fibre available is ADSL fibre to the cabinet.

There was a 'core network' map setting unselected, so i have selected it in the one now attached. I checked the eircode of the first green house (which is about two doors up from me) on Airwire and it says FTTH is available. Checked a few others nearby and it seems to be available for them too.

There was a 'core network' map setting unselected, so i have selected it in the one now attached. I checked the eircode of the first green house (which is about two doors up from me) on Airwire and it says FTTH is available. Checked a few others nearby and it seems to be available for them too.

That seems a bit strange, it's hard to tell from the first map shot, but it would appear the house across the road from yours also wasn't included, but two further along were and that several other houses - if they are that - were missed also.

Perhaps babi-hrse might have some ideas, because I'm out.

That seems a bit strange, it's hard to tell from the first map shot, but it would appear the house across the road from yours also wasn't included, but two further along were and that several other houses - if they are that - were missed also.

Perhaps babi-hrse might have some ideas, because I'm out.
    Hey I appreciate you taking the time to have a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

The eir fibre rollout map has actually been updated today. Not sure if that's a daily thing now or if there are changes. I haven't looked at it in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

You might have been deliberately left out being that your supposed to be in the coverage area of the cabinet in the town for VDSL albeit the very edge of the coverage area which will probably equate to about 7 -12meg at 1.3 -1.4km from cabinet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

daraghwal wrote: »
    The eir fibre rollout map has actually been updated today. Not sure if that's a daily thing now or if there are changes. I haven't looked at it in a while

It says two houses beside my parents house should be live with FTTH and they are not (like this for the past 8 months). I wonder how many more are like that and are Open Eir telling the department that these houses are live when they are not.

Hey I appreciate you taking the time to have a look!

You are welcome. Lokking at the map again, given what babi-hrse said, the next most green circle to the right of your house, which I taken to be a house, is actually a fibre cabinet, so have you checked the fibre to the cabinet speed available to you? It should be around 30 mbps if the house was passed by for FTTH.

• Advertisement

You are welcome. Lokking at the map again, given what babi-hrse said, the next most green circle to the right of your house, which I taken to be a house, is actually a fibre cabinet, so have you checked the fibre to the cabinet speed available to you? It should be around 30 mbps if the house was passed by for FTTH.
    Unfortunately, the speeds we get with fibre to the cabinet are only 10mb/s,which is even worse than what we get currently with Imagine lol. With both myself and my wife working from home these days it simply isn't fit for purpose.

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

We have updated the database for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH today.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

quite an outage - Digiweb ? - had to tether up my phone

• Company Representative Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Airwire: MartinL

quite an outage - Digiweb ? - had to tether up my phone

254 OpenEIR subscriber lines down due to a fibre fault affecting Coolaney & Lavagh.

Forecasted time for fix 07/11/2020 07:00

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

254 OpenEIR subscriber lines down due to a fibre fault affecting Coolaney & Lavagh.

Forecasted time for fix 07/11/2020 07:00

thank you for that info Martin

• Registered Users Posts: 24 CrummyOldDanish

For anyone interested, I just did some renewals with eir, for myself and my grandmother.

As I previously posted, eir offered me 500 profile for €37. I rang back this time and they immediately offered me the same for €30 for 12 months. Took that right away as it matched Vodafone's new customer price and, to be fair to eir, their network is rock solid and I've heard bad things about Vodafone's.

My grandmother uses her landline a lot to call relatives abroad (not tech savvy and stubborn so internet solutions are off the table for now :D) so that was a must for her. She got 500 profile plus her worldwide calls for 45.98 for 24 months(!). The 24 months part surprised me to be honest as they had no interest in offering me anything more than 12 months when I asked before.

Anyway, happy out to have that sorted and, more importantly, very happy with the price :D

Some years ago, I found, much to my surprise, That Vodafone's international call charges were significantly cheaper than my landline, so stopped using it for such calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭testtech05

Hi Guys, I'm a bit of a noob to all this so go easy on me :)

Myself and my OH are looking at moving house and the property we are looking at is inside the green(live) area on the openeir map. Does this mean we should be able to connect to FTTH or does this green area just indicate where is covered by the local cabinet for the VDSL connection?
    When I put the eircode into the checker on the eir website they quote me a connection of only 5MB. With both myself and my OH working from home at the minute this will obviously not be enough for us.

I have spoken to the owner of the house across the road and he has FTTH 1GB connection to his house. I have tried raising this with eir/openeir and am getting a combo of "sorry nothing I can do" or automated replies back.
    I guess I am just wondering if there is anyone we could contact to look into this further, as things stand this will be a deal breaker as to whether or not we can take the house.

I have added a link to an image of the map to explain a bit better than my blurb has. Any help/advice would be much appreciated though.

https://imgur.com/a/lmeiC94

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

testtech05 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I'm a bit of a noob to all this so go easy on me :)

Myself and my OH are looking at moving house and the property we are looking at is inside the green(live) area on the openeir map. Does this mean we should be able to connect to FTTH or does this green area just indicate where is covered by the local cabinet for the VDSL connection?
    When I put the eircode into the checker on the eir website they quote me a connection of only 5MB. With both myself and my OH working from home at the minute this will obviously not be enough for us.

I have spoken to the owner of the house across the road and he has FTTH 1GB connection to his house. I have tried raising this with eir/openeir and am getting a combo of "sorry nothing I can do" or automated replies back.
    I guess I am just wondering if there is anyone we could contact to look into this further, as things stand this will be a deal breaker as to whether or not we can take the house.

I have added a link to an image of the map to explain a bit better than my blurb has. Any help/advice would be much appreciated though.

https://imgur.com/a/lmeiC94

Green shaded area is area that "should" be covered by Fibre to the Cabinet. The closer you are to the outside of that area in general the lower the speeds/availability.

If your house is along one of the yellow fibre routes and has a Green house symbol overhead then FTTH should be available.

Map not always 100% accurate, drop us a PM with your Eircode if you'd like us to check it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 tomrob

Just found out Ftth has come available have rang vodafone and Eir both 30euro 12 month contracts but Eir want 99 euro installation and 49 euro activation fee 150mb broadband .Vodafone offering 500mb and free installation. Eir do not seem to be interested in matching Vodafone. We prefer to go with Eir if they matched price of Vodafone Wondering any point in ringing Eir again ?

Advertisement