Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Apple TV+

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Emotional lol. You asked why people had an issue with the remote I simply mentioned why. I used other examples of bad design to prove my point that when apple design something magical it takes them forever to realise that it was bad. Maybe the phone was a bad example as it only took them a year to fix but the laptop keyboards took 4 years to fix and this remote took 5 years.

How could you possibly think I’m holding you personally accountable for buying - or not buying - other flawed products? Again they’re were just examples to prove Apple is stubborn when it comes to design. If people went and said everything was “just” fine we’d have no improvements to anything, we’d still have big brick phones, still have shacks outside to piss in and still using donkey and carts.

I’m not upset just purely pointing out the flaws said piece of hardware has had in relation to your question with other bad designs from the design gods at apple. If a lot of people are happy that there’s been an update to it, maybe the old one wasn’t so hot after all also.

Just to point out I use an Apple TV that has this remote daily. Whilst I dislike the remote I don’t dislike it enough to buy a new Apple TV 4K (as my old one is the 1080p version I wouldn’t just buy the remote).

You said the fact that I was happy with the remote despite “flaws” is the kind of thinking that leads to other poor products hence I am responsible. No I didn’t really think you blamed me personally but I was making the point that none of it is simply because I am not unhappy with the remote.

The phrasing in your post suggested more than mere disappointment about the remote, butterfly keyboards, etc.

Maybe upset is t the right word but you are certainly very annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭turfthrower

I think it's quite widely acknowledged that the previous Apple TV remote, the one with the glass trackpad, was pretty hard to use. It is surprising it took them so long to correct the problem.

It's even more surprising that they've issued the new M1 iMacs but kept the charging point for the mouse on the base. The mind boggles. At a certain point, I think they're trolling people with that one.

I think it's quite widely acknowledged that the previous Apple TV remote, the one with the glass trackpad, was pretty hard to use. It is surprising it took them so long to correct the problem.

It's even more surprising that they've issued the new M1 iMacs but kept the charging point for the mouse on the base. The mind boggles. At a certain point, I think they're trolling people with that one.

Widely acknowledged by who?

I can’t be the only one who is able to use it ?

Anyway I have another question.

Switching accounts on AppleTV has always been easy and it doesn’t require t he 90 day wait you get on on iPhone or iPad if you want to use a different for iTunes.

Is the TV app on iPhone also required to switch for 90 days?

I can’t use my AppleTV at present but want to keep up with my US shows that I have bought on iTunes but don’t want to lose access to my main account (the Irish one)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I read somewhere (only an opinion, not an official Apple statement or anything) that the apparent logic behind that was to deliberately prevent users from using the mouse while it was plugged in, as standard Lightning cables wouldn't be able to stand up to the constant movement a mouse would necessitate, and would break. Now obviously all the wired mouse companies have come up with a solution to that problem in general, but maybe the Lightning cable is different in some way. Or else Apple just don't make it tough enough.

I occasionally get a notification on the TV app. It appears as a red dot with a number on the TV app icon.

Where are we supposed to see what the motivation is about? There is never anything in the iOS notification centre and I never knew where to look in the AppleTV.

Since the Disney+ integration I get messages in the notification centre when new episodes are added but there is never a red dot on the TV app icon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,120 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Apple are cutting the one year free AppleTV+ when you buy new hardware to three months starting on the 1st of July.

Apple are cutting the one year free AppleTV+ when you buy new hardware to three months starting on the 1st of July.

How could a customer claim the free year?

If you bought an AppleTV and iPhone at the same time could you get two years from claiming off the iPhone after the other trial expired?

I wondering because I got a new device that offers three free months of Arcade but I’ve already had a free trial from when it launched.

• Administrators Posts: 53,085 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you bought an AppleTV and iPhone at the same time could you get two years from claiming off the iPhone after the other trial expired?

I wondering because I got a new device that offers three free months of Arcade but I’ve already had a free trial from when it launched.

I think you have to claim the free trial within a certain period after purchase.

A year of AppleTV+ was a good deal, but a year is a long time and you can watch pretty much all the worthwhile content easily in that time. I guess Apple are seeing a lot of people drop after the free term ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

awec wrote: »
    I think you have to claim the free trial within a certain period after purchase.

A year of AppleTV+ was a good deal, but a year is a long time and you can watch pretty much all the worthwhile content easily in that time. I guess Apple are seeing a lot of people drop after the free term ends.

Think you just get the one year unless you get the devices - say three months apart in which case your 12 months would become 15

I've heard from friends whose free period expires that Apple offer them a free three month renewal. Only way that I would continue to have it as there is so little on there worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

T&Cs say "Only one offer per Family, regardless of number of devices purchased."

That said, I bought a refurbed Macbook Pro in February 2020. The free year of ATV+ didn't get automatically added, so I had to get on to Apple Support, who sorted it out. Then later in 2020, I bought a refurbed iPad, and when I set that up, my free ATV+ subscription was extended until February 2022. I thought at the time that the free trials were cumulative, but it seems that the support person actually didn't enable my first free trial at all - they did something else that gave a free year that didn't count as a trial, so when it came to activating my trial from the iPad, that was actually my first one.

I don't know if I'll bother paying for it when the trial ends. Mythic Quest (which is brilliant) is the only thing I'm watching on it at the moment. I enjoyed The Morning Show, but I don't know when series 2 is due, and to be honest it's the kind of show that might not have enough in it to make a second series worth watching. The kids don't even bother looking in ATV+ at all. Netflix and Disney get a lot of use, and I've only got Amazon Prime because I'm currently paying for the free deliveries - none of us ever even think of looking in there for movies or shows most of the time. But I think i'll be knocking that on the head soon enough, and I can see us consolidating on just on Netflix and Disney from next year.

• Advertisement

Morning Show Series 2 is coming soon, but it'll be drip-fed to ensure people don't sub and cancel straight away which is really irritating when the likes of Netflix will just drop the series in one go.

Morning Show series 1 was decent, if a little bland in parts. Series 2 probably worth a watch. Also watched For All Mankind which had a great first series but the 2nd series was definitely not so good. Watched Ted Lasso and thought it was mediocre.

I've seen absolutely nothing else that captures my attention. I think I've got until Jan 22 so will get to watch the second morning show series for free and then that'll probably be that.

An episode a week like Apple and Disney do suits me just fine.

I don’t binge watch. If I like a show I am in no hurry to get to the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Zhane

An episode a week like Apple and Disney do suits me just fine.

I don’t binge watch. If I like a show I am in no hurry to get to the end.

I really like the weekly drops too. It stays in your mind longer and creates a discussion at the same time. The MCU shows create great banter and it’s great everyone is on the same episode so you can avoid spoilers. Binging is great but it’s just instant gratification really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I’d be the same, never binge a show. I generally watch one episode a day or maybe two. I find I’d be watching multiple shows at once too, so it keeps the schedule busy.

One thing I don’t get is why most streaming services drop new content on Fridays. I see Disney are moving some of the Marvel stuff to Wednesdays now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Zhane

DubDJ wrote: »
    I’d be the same, never binge a show. I generally watch one episode a day or maybe two. I find I’d be watching multiple shows at once too, so it keeps the schedule busy.

One thing I don’t get is why most streaming services drop new content on Fridays. I see Disney are moving some of the Marvel stuff to Wednesdays now though.

I think all tv shows will be moving to Wednesday and movies Friday. I’d love ATV+ to space out their content over the week too. For example, new episodes of Mythic Quest every Tuesday, or Morning Show every Thursday. But they’ve obviously done market research and Friday is when more people are available to watch so it’ll never happen.

You don't have to binge it, but at least you get the choice on other platforms. It's nice sometimes to watch 2 episodes.

The Apple and Disney approaches are really, really old fashioned. But they have no choice, it is 100% down to a lack of quality content.

Zhane wrote: »
    I really like the weekly drops too. It stays in your mind longer and creates a discussion at the same time. The MCU shows create great banter and it’s great everyone is on the same episode so you can avoid spoilers. Binging is great but it’s just instant gratification really.

Many years ago I binged a season of a show just before the second season arrived.

When I sat down to watch the second season the first was just a jumble in my head. One and only time I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭td1

I have a year’s free AppleTV+ offer which will expire soon if not taken up. I’ve a Panasonic tv which I can mirror to, but only with an Android device. Is there a (cheap) way to access this (e.g. without buying a box)? The TV has an apps market but appletv+ isn’t on it

td1 wrote: »
    I have a year’s free AppleTV+ offer which will expire soon if not taken up. I’ve a Panasonic tv which I can mirror to, but only with an Android device. Is there a (cheap) way to access this (e.g. without buying a box)? The TV has an apps market but appletv+ isn’t on it

You can get an adaptor to connect your device to the HDMI port on your TV

Think the Firestick has an Apple TV app.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Think the Firestick has an Apple TV app.

I think Td1 must have have got the free trial from buying an Apple device - I don’t think anyone else offers the trial - and an adapter would be cheaper than a Firestick.

I think Td1 must have have got the free trial from buying an Apple device - I don’t think anyone else offers the trial - and an adapter would be cheaper than a Firestick.

That's right. Can anyone recommend a good adapter please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

The Apple TV+ app got added to PlayStation 4/5 and Xbox One back in November too, if that helps :)

That's right. Can anyone recommend a good adapter please?

Sorry I never thought of suggesting what one to get.

Is your device an iPhone/iPad or a MacBook?

Apple’s own adapters are quite pricey - around €50.

There are cheaper third party ones depending on your device.

Danonino. wrote: »
    The Apple TV+ app got added to PlayStation 4/5 and Xbox One back in November too, if that helps :)

Why are you guys suggesting td1 buy more devices ?

Is there an option to stop the TV app from automatically playing the next episode of a show?

I have tried Google and the Apple support pages but all I get is how to disable previews in the Top Shelf.

I tried a call with Apple Support but the agent said she had the solution I lost all my signal bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,554 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Why are you guys suggesting td1 buy more devices ?

He may have one of these devices already and thus saving the need to even buy an adapter.

He may have one of these devices already and thus saving the need to even buy an adapter.

That makes sense.

I would have thought of it.

EDIT: I meant I wouldn’t have thought of it

Sorry I never thought of suggesting what one to get.

Is your device an iPhone/iPad or a MacBook?

Apple’s own adapters are quite pricey - around €50.

There are cheaper third party ones depending on your device.

I've an iPhone and iPad but not the other devices mentioned in the other posts

• Advertisement

I've an iPhone and iPad but not the other devices mentioned in the other posts

As I said above Apple’s own adapter is around €50.

You can find cheaper options. Search for “lightening HDMI adaptor for iPhone” or iPad on Amazon.

I assume they are lightning connectors on your devices.

You could try Google and see anyone in Ireland sells them or if you are able go to a CompuB store.

Advertisement