Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Apple TV+

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I think it's restricted to certain countries, seen a few replies earlier complaining it wasn't available internationally but never read the full story.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭PaulT21

DubDJ wrote: »
    I think it's restricted to certain countries, seen a few replies earlier complaining it wasn't available internationally but never read the full story.

Apparently the free content comes online tomorrow in the UK. Maybe we will benefit then also;)

Free on Apple TV + now available. Limited selection though :(

Was considering purchasing the Apple TV 4K, and hopefully get the free year of Apple TV +, but would hate to buy one now and then  launch a new version. Has anyone any insight to a possible new model? I did read that it might have been mentioned in code recently, maybe in IOS 14 code? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭iniall

PaulT21 wrote: »
    Was considering purchasing the Apple TV 4K, and hopefully get the free year of Apple TV +, but would hate to buy one now and then  launch a new version. Has anyone any insight to a possible new model? I did read that it might have been mentioned in code recently, maybe in IOS 14 code? Thanks

I'm in the same boat - I read last month that there was a new Apple TV on the way, so I'm holding off buying. I think it would probably have arrived by now if Apple had been able to have their rumoured March event, but who knows when it will be released at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,554 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

The new Apple TV could come at any time really. Apple released an iPad Pro without an event which is a more favoured product to them than the TV box. It's really hard to see what a new Apple TV box could be. They're horribly overpriced (speaking as a person who has one), they don't do anything more than other tv hardware (TVs now have iTunes/Apple TV+) the only thing that's really different is apps and games. Apps on the Apple TV are pretty dire and the games aren't compelling enough to take even a small minority away from PS4/Xbox/Switch.

One thing for sure though it'll be super interesting to see what they do next with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭OU812

I got the 4K at Xmas to replace an IV version. Found it a fantastic upgrade. If they improve it greatly I’ll probably upgrade again & cycle that one out to another room.

I think though they’re probably just going to beef it up for arcade & ive no interest in that unless they bundle it with something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭mel123

Sorry if this has been asked before, but does apple tv stream to a chromecast?
    I have an LG tv with no mirroring available (oldish tv). I bought an app in the app store which works perfect for everything except apple tv (comes up with a message copyright tv cant be streamed). Id rather not have to shell out for an apple tv if i can use the chromecast instead.

Thanks in advance

mel123 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but does apple tv stream to a chromecast?
    I have an LG tv with no mirroring available (oldish tv). I bought an app in the app store which works perfect for everything except apple tv (comes up with a message copyright tv cant be streamed). Id rather not have to shell out for an apple tv if i can use the chromecast instead.

Thanks in advance
    unfortunately no, that would require Apple to add chrome cast support. maybe try the chrome browser, go to tv.apple.com and try cast from there.

if not, you're cheapest option is buying an Amazon FireTV stick from Amazon.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm after discovering the Smithsonian app embedded in Apple TV & now I've a HUGE time problem.

There's literally too much content available to me.

Netflix, Apple TV, Disney +. I don't watch terrestrial anymore, Smithsonian is just €2.99 a month after a 30 day trial with some incredible content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭POBox19

mel123 wrote: »
    , but does apple tv stream to a chromecast?
    I have an LG tv with no mirroring available (oldish tv). I bought an app in the app store which works perfect for everything except apple tv

No. Supported devices are Roku, Amazon Firestick or Apple TV. I’ve tried some Cast TV apps to cast from the iPad and got nowhere.
    Looks like there will be a new Apple TV soon, long overdue an upgrade since 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭emergingstar

Having major trouble Casting from my Iphone to the Apple box, either wont connect or keeps dropping, any suggestions to fix this

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

I got a new Sony Bravia and Sky Q box but the only way I can access Apple TV+ is via a cable hook up.

Anyone know if you can access via the Now ROKU player or if there is an Ireland compatible Amazon Fire Stick you can purchase that simplifies this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I presume your new tv is a smart tv? There might be an Apple TV+ app you can install. Or if you have the app on your phone, you might be able to play it via Airplay depending on the tv

Tried the App route - Sony apparently don't offer it on Bravia which is a bit weird. Can do it via AirPlay but it's a bit of a chore.

Ten years ago would have been amazed by how this was even possible. Amazing how fast we become blasé about the most minor inconveniences.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Sorbet

Mr.S wrote: »
    You can see all the app compatibility here: https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-app/devices/

Fairly annoying that they don't have it for most Sony TV's.

Firestick would probably be the best cheapest solution if you don't want to use Airplay.
    New to this as have just gotten 12 months of Apple tv - tv's are too old to get the Apple tv app. Will a firestick or roku have it if I buy one? Conscious that there's all sorts of warnings on amazon when buying in Ireland. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Yes definitely for Firestick.

Finally got it up and running - don't ask me how.

Couple of good things on there - Morning Show is excellent, but given there ain't that much choice compared to say, Netflix which costs around the same, I wouldn't pay for it if I hadn't got a year free with my new computer

hkjohn wrote: »

Couple of good things on there - Morning Show is excellent, but given there ain't that much choice compared to say, Netflix which costs around the same, I wouldn't pay for it if I hadn't got a year free with my new computer

Netflix has had at least a 10 year head start, and Apple basically started 3 months before a pandemic and has seriously affected tv production schedules. For example The Morning Show Season 2 was meant to come out October 2020, it's now more like April/May 2021.

Apple's back catalogue is a bit dire I'll give you that but I feel like Netflix's will dwindle in coming years due to the major players creating their own streaming services (NBC, Disney, HBO etc.) and will start pulling back catalogue content off Netflix/Amazon etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭iniall

hkjohn wrote: »

Apple TV+ is €4.99 per month and Netflix's standard plan is €12.99 per month. Not really costing "around the same", in fairness.

Ted Lasso is great. Defending Jacob is good. Dickinson is good. Mythical Quest also really good. I've heard Tehran is excellent, but IO haven't seen it yet. I've just started For All Mankind and it's off to a good start. Really looking forward to Foundation (currently filming - level 5 permitting - in Limerick).

But yeah, obviously Netflix has a far bigger catalogue and that's likely to remain the case for quite some time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I’ve watched most of the major stuff on it so far and can’t complain, especially for free. Really enjoyed a lot of the shows, the few movies they’ve added were good too. I’ve not really watched the documentary’s, but Boys State and Beastie Boys were brilliant.

It will definitely take time before it’s a worthwhile buy when actually paying for it. But with the Apple One subscription I’d imagine I’ll stick with it once the free time is up.

Good poíint re Netflix (NF) and Amazon Prime (AP) having a head start. Unfortunately for ATV, Disney also has a huge library to call on and it is hard to see the ATV platform ever catching up.

if (hopefully when!) I'm still here when life gets back to something approaching normal, will probably do with ATV what I used to do with NF and now do with AP; which is to take the odd out one month sub each time the new shows build up and then gorge on them for the next 30 days.

I think the real problem for platforms (and this will also affect NF) is that there is just too much top notch TV to watch now

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭POBox19

Sorbet wrote: »
    New to this as have just gotten 12 months of Apple tv - tv's are too old to get the Apple tv app. Will a firestick or roku have it if I buy one? Conscious that there's all sorts of warnings on amazon when buying in Ireland. Thanks.

I got a ROKU device, it has the Apple TV+ app with a 12 month subscription thrown in. I don't think that I'll pay when the free sub expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

My years trial was up in December. They extended it for another 3 months and now another 3 months again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

adox wrote: »
    My years trial was up in December. They extended it for another 3 months and now another 3 months again!

Mine was due to be up this month but it's been extended to July!

Once you've gone through the four or five halfway decent shows, there's nowhere near enough stuff up there to justify the monthly fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I have the Apple Music plan for 20 that include TV and the Arcade too. It's a decent deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,739 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I don't think Apple expect most people to pay for Apple TV+ on it's own. Since Apple TV + only shows original and exclusive content, it's never going to be able to compete on it's own with Netflix, Amazon PV, Disney +, etc.

I'd say the expectation is that people will get the Apple One bundles that include Music, Arcade, TV + and iCloud (and News + and Fitness + in some countries).

One sub for all these services makes it more palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

Have finally gotten around to watching a couple of things on this. Does anyone else have constant buffering issues with it? My Internet connection is fast and have no issues with Netflix, Prime, YouTube etc. Its happening most times I watch and is really starting to annoy me.

• Advertisement

redlead wrote: »
    Have finally gotten around to watching a couple of things on this. Does anyone else have constant buffering issues with it? My Internet connection is fast and have no issues with Netflix, Prime, YouTube etc. Its happening most times I watch and is really starting to annoy me.

I've found that it tends to buffer once or twice every couple of shows, but only very briefly and not to the point where I have to switch off

Advertisement