Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Apple TV+

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭OU812

redlead wrote: »
    Have finally gotten around to watching a couple of things on this. Does anyone else have constant buffering issues with it? My Internet connection is fast and have no issues with Netflix, Prime, YouTube etc. Its happening most times I watch and is really starting to annoy me.

Never had a buffering issue at all (120mb WiFi & 500mb hard wired)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,554 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

No problems through my Apple TV 4th gen (1080p) or my LG AppleTv+ App (4K), however my iPad mini 2 (practically 8 years old at the point and still my daily iPad) it constantly struggles to buffer to the point I’ve given up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 askpt

No problems at all. Have Apple TV 4K and TV 4K as well. The Apple TV is wired to the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭KildareP

No issues here either.

Only thing I can think of is Apple TV+ runs at a significantly (many multiples) higher bitrate compared to other streaming services. Thus it will show up a weaker wifi and/or internet connection much easier than Netflix, Prime or Disney+ might.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

KildareP wrote: »
    No issues here either.

Only thing I can think of is Apple TV+ runs at a significantly (many multiples) higher bitrate compared to other streaming services. Thus it will show up a weaker wifi and/or internet connection much easier than Netflix, Prime or Disney+ might.

When I run a speed test , it will consistently be about 45mbps . That should be more than enough I thought? To be fair the picture quality is superb. It's weird, yesterday I had no issues but the day before I did. Its a 4k box but my TV is only HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I think I have asked this here before I cannot find such a post.

Can episodes from an Apple series be marked as unwatched?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭OU812

Only way I’ve found is to fast forward through the entire episode and let the last 30 seconds play.

Did you try long press in the Apple TV remote inside the Apple TV+ app? I think in the bottom you have the recently played and you can do it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Zhane

Yep, the others are right. If ya long press on the remote on Apple TV.

You can long press on the app too if using an Apple device. Not sure on the other platforms.

OU812 wrote: »
    Only way I’ve found is to fast forward through the entire episode and let the last 30 seconds play.

That will mark it a watched.

• Advertisement

askpt wrote: »
    Did you try long press in the Apple TV remote inside the Apple TV+ app? I think in the bottom you have the recently played and you can do it there.
    Zhane wrote: »
    Yep, the others are right. If ya long press on the remote on Apple TV.

You can long press on the app too if using an Apple device. Not sure on the other platforms.

Thank you both.

I knew about the long press but I thought “remove from recently watched” just meant that it took it off the list of recently viewed list at the bottom of Watch Now.

I never noticed before that also removed the the Watched Tick.

Is there any chance the streaming services like Disney+, Prime, etc. are going to be added to the TV app.

I know Netflix don’t allow it in any region.

Although I wonder if it would of use to me - I don’t binge and watch most shows weekly. So maybe it would be a easier to watch from the app rather than scrolling the up next?

My Netflix and Disney+ profiles are both PIN protected. Does that mean I would have to enter the PIN for every time I play a Disney/Netflix episode or movie from Up Next?

Is there any chance the streaming services like Disney+, Prime, etc. are going to be added to the TV app.

I know Netflix don’t allow it in any region.

Although I wonder if it would of use to me - I don’t binge and watch most shows weekly. So maybe it would be a easier to watch from the app rather than scrolling the up next?

My Netflix and Disney+ profiles are both PIN protected. Does that mean I would have to enter the PIN for every time I play a Disney/Netflix episode or movie from Up Next?

To be honest the only one I know is Plex currently.
    https://9to5mac.com/2021/03/04/plex-apple-tv-app-integration/

Not a hope, streaming services do way more tracking on your behaviour than just what shows you watch. If they go into the TV app they give up all that.

Not a hope, streaming services do way more tracking on your behaviour than just what shows you watch. If they go into the TV app they give up all that.

Disney, Amazon Prime and All4 are all available on the TV app in the UK but not available in Ireland. They also have iPlayer and ITV hub integrated.

I’m not sure if it’s Apple not having the feature in Ireland, or the streaming services not bothered. I would say the issue is Apple not having the feature here for reasons. The USA has loads more too. Netflix will never join in I suspect.

https://www.apple.com/uk/apple-tv-app/

Most are streaming services and TV networks in the us are integrated in the TV app.

It is done in other countries too like the UK

So the the behaviour tracking is either not affected or the services get something else in return.

Disney, Amazon Prime and All4 are all available on the TV app in the UK but not available in Ireland. They also have iPlayer and ITV hub integrated.

I’m not sure if it’s Apple not having the feature in Ireland, or the streaming services not bothered. I would say the issue is Apple not having the feature here for reasons. The USA has loads more too. Netflix will never join in I suspect.

https://www.apple.com/uk/apple-tv-app/

It is more than likely the individual services not bothering rather than apple not bothering.

It is more than likely the individual services not bothering rather than apple not bothering.

There’s no mention of the TV integration on the Irish Apple site. And the apps are essentially the same, especially Disney+. So I do find it hard to believe that it’s the apps, although I’m happy to be proven wrong. I think it’s Apple not enabling the feature here, like Siri on the AppleTV.

There’s no mention of the TV integration on the Irish Apple site. And the apps are essentially the same, especially Disney+. So I do find it hard to believe that it’s the apps, although I’m happy to be proven wrong. I think it’s Apple not enabling the feature here, like Siri on the AppleTV.

I wasn’t talking about the apps themselves but the providers.

I had assumed some legalities are involved - for example Amazon does not own much of the content on Prime so needs permission to allowed integration. Amazon might simply not be willing to pay the cost or put in the effort for some countries.

I had also thought there legalities regarding Siri on AppleTV in the same way that Siri is the reason why HomePods cannot be sold on Ireland.

Of course you could be right that we are simply being overlooked by these companies. After all Disney has neglected to turn on 4K for their movies in iTunes here because their numbskull employees think Ireland is a part of the UK anyway. Same reason why hundreds of movies are missing from the Irish Store.

I wasn’t talking about the apps themselves but the providers.

I had assumed some legalities are involved - for example Amazon does not own much of the content on Prime so needs permission to allowed integration. Amazon might simply not be willing to pay the cost or put in the effort for some countries.

I had also thought there legalities regarding Siri on AppleTV in the same way that Siri is the reason why HomePods cannot be sold on Ireland.

Of course you could be right that we are simply being overlooked by these companies. After all Disney has neglected to turn on 4K for their movies in iTunes here because their numbskull employees think Ireland is a part of the UK anyway. Same reason why hundreds of movies are missing from the Irish Store.

I wonder why it’s not being sold on Ireland the HomePods + Siri on Apple TV. We have Siri available here as per their feature availability.

Other thing that I miss is the complete Apple One (1TB/Apple News and Fitness). I really would like the Apple News to be available here, even though, the widget is available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭pnott

Apple seems to have finally launched streaming app integration into the Tv app in Ireland. The TV app is now showing Disney+ content under up next. Disney+ seems to be the only app that is supported by the tv app here so far. Apple hasn’t updated their website to say that this feature is available here yet either.

pnott wrote: »
    Apple seems to have finally launched streaming app integration into the Tv app in Ireland. The TV app is now showing Disney+ content under up next. Disney+ seems to be the only app that is supported by the tv app here so far. Apple hasn’t updated their website to say that this feature is available here yet either.

I don’t think it is that Apple finally launched the integration but rather that Disney+ finally got on board.

I don’t think it is that Apple finally launched the integration but rather that Disney+ finally got on board.

It’s probably the providers alright. Disney have all the rights to Disney in Ireland of course. So it’s easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭turfthrower

Picked up a new remote for my Apple TV 4K - didn't need a new box, just a replacement for the enormously **** remote that came with my old one.

The new one is a beautiful piece of industrial design. It's bigger, sits better in your hand, the buttons are satisfyingly clicky and it feels just all around better to use. Well worth picking up if, like me, you've ever been tempted to throw the old remote with the stupid glass touch panel across the room.

Picked up a new remote for my Apple TV 4K - didn't need a new box, just a replacement for the enormously **** remote that came with my old one.

The new one is a beautiful piece of industrial design. It's bigger, sits better in your hand, the buttons are satisfyingly clicky and it feels just all around better to use. Well worth picking up if, like me, you've ever been tempted to throw the old remote with the stupid glass touch panel across the room.

I only discovered when this new remote came out that people don’t like/can’t use/etc. the other one.

I don’t understand the complaints. It works just fine.

I only discovered when this new remote came out that people don’t like/can’t use/etc. the other one.

I don’t understand the complaints. It works just fine.

It works “just” fine if you stare at every single button press, have a great swipe accuracy and don’t have seat cushions in your sofa. It’s symmetrical meaning you have to look at it to see if it’s the right way up, it’s made of bloody glass that can break much easier than plastic and aluminium.

It is worst piece of hardware apple have designed in the last 25~ years and there’s been some clunkers, hockey puck mouse any one? Apples magic mouse? It’s the epitome of bad apple design, remember they fixed the complaints by adding a rubber white ring around one of the buttons they were too stubborn to admit defeat for sooo long (just like the MacBook butterfly keyboards)

It works “just” fine if you stare at every single button press, have a great swipe accuracy and don’t have seat cushions in your sofa. It’s symmetrical meaning you have to look at it to see if it’s the right way up, it’s made of bloody glass that can break much easier than plastic and aluminium.

It is worst piece of hardware apple have designed in the last 25~ years and there’s been some clunkers, hockey puck mouse any one? Apples magic mouse? It’s the epitome of bad apple design, remember they fixed the complaints by adding a rubber white ring around one of the buttons they were too stubborn to admit defeat for sooo long (just like the MacBook butterfly keyboards)

I never had any problems with it. Yes it got lost a lot but that was usually my own doing. I got the one with the white ring so it was always easy to tell what button I needed. And I dropped it plenty of times on hard floors and it was never damaged.

I’m not saying it couldn’t be made better but it worked just fine.

I never had any problems with it. Yes it got lost a lot but that was usually my own doing. I got the one with the white ring so it was always easy to tell what button I needed. And I dropped it plenty of times on hard floors and it was never damaged.

I’m not saying it couldn’t be made better but it worked just fine.

Just because you didn’t have any problems with it doesn’t mean it wasn’t fundamentally flawed. It’s that kind of thinking that got us terrible keyboards and bad antenna lines on phones etc.

Just because you didn’t have any problems with it doesn’t mean it wasn’t fundamentally flawed. It’s that kind of thinking that got us terrible keyboards and bad antenna lines on phones etc.

I was simply commenting that I didn’t know people had issues or were emotional about the remote.

It just worked for me so it wasn’t flawed. It didn’t work for you do it was flawed.

My way of thinking has nothing to do with bad keyboards, etc. because I do not design, make or sell these products. And I didn’t buy any Macs with butterfly keyboards or any phones with the antenna problems so I have not given money to Apple for those products and therefore don’t see how I am accountable for them.

You are the one who is upset so it seems that perhaps you did - so in fact you would be the blame. Not I.

:)

• Advertisement

I was simply commenting that I didn’t know people had issues or were emotional about the remote.

It just worked for me so it wasn’t flawed. It didn’t work for you do it was flawed.

My way of thinking has nothing to do with bad keyboards, etc. because I do not design, make or sell these products. And I didn’t buy any Macs with butterfly keyboards or any phones with the antenna problems so I have not given money to Apple for those products and therefore don’t see how I am accountable for them.

You are the one who is upset so it seems that perhaps you did - so in fact you would be the blame. Not I.

:)

Emotional lol. You asked why people had an issue with the remote I simply mentioned why. I used other examples of bad design to prove my point that when apple design something magical it takes them forever to realise that it was bad. Maybe the phone was a bad example as it only took them a year to fix but the laptop keyboards took 4 years to fix and this remote took 5 years.

How could you possibly think I’m holding you personally accountable for buying - or not buying - other flawed products? Again they’re were just examples to prove Apple is stubborn when it comes to design. If people went and said everything was “just” fine we’d have no improvements to anything, we’d still have big brick phones, still have shacks outside to piss in and still using donkey and carts.

I’m not upset just purely pointing out the flaws said piece of hardware has had in relation to your question with other bad designs from the design gods at apple. If a lot of people are happy that there’s been an update to it, maybe the old one wasn’t so hot after all also.

Just to point out I use an Apple TV that has this remote daily. Whilst I dislike the remote I don’t dislike it enough to buy a new Apple TV 4K (as my old one is the 1080p version I wouldn’t just buy the remote).

Advertisement