Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Apple TV+

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

That’s not how Apple work though.
    It they are putting more onus on services. They don’t have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Need to get it on more devices. Why do you think Spotify and Netflix do so well. They are seamless to use and on everything.

In the long term, yes probably. But I don’t think it would help at this stage. A large part of their existing users which can get it for free aren’t even subscribing/watching. If they can’t even get a high level of engagent from their existing user base *while offering it for free*; IMO improving the service (i.e. the contents) shown be the number one priority before trying to expend to other platforms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Rob McElhenry from It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia has a new show starting this Friday. Trailer doesn't look great though but I see they guy Abed from Community is in it so I'll give it a go.

Thankfully I didn't go by the trailer as this show is brilliant. Well worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 gildan

New Samsung tvs have Apple TV app integrated and it works a treat. To be fair, they also have Netflix, Prime, NowTV apps as well. it's great to start watching something on YouTube or Apple TV and then send it to the tv. I've only watched The Morning show tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Hey, sorry if this is already answered in thread.

Read somewhere if you bought a new device since Sept 10th you would get Apple TV+ free for a year.

When I access the app I only seem to have option for 7 days.

Any ideas?

• Advertisement

PopTarts wrote: »
    Hey, sorry if this is already answered in thread.

Read somewhere if you bought a new device since Sept 10th you would get Apple TV+ free for a year.

When I access the app I only seem to have option for 7 days.

Any ideas?

It needs to be activated within 3 months of activating a new iPhone, iPad, iPod, or Apple TV, or Mac.

Are you ok with the device type and timeline?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Think the 1 year free Apple TV+ offer is gone now. Finished at the end of January as far as I know. Unfortunately looks like you missed out, unless you activated the offer before that date.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

I think it’s still available. I bought a new iPhone two weeks ago and I can activate the free year. Apple sent emails to tell me to activate the free year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

DubDJ wrote: »
    Think the 1 year free Apple TV+ offer is gone now. Finished at the end of January as far as I know. Unfortunately looks like you missed out, unless you activated the offer before that date.

I bought a new iPhone in December and only activated my 1 year free Apple TV+ last week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭OU812

I'm not that impressed with it to be honest.

Thoroughly enjoyed the Morning show, but saw it from an alternative source before I had my free year.

Nothing else really interests me & the mixing of rent/buy product with the included content is bugging the hell out of me.

I see why they had to move as quickly as they did, but I think they jumped the gun.

I'm not ging to renew, but would consider it as part of a bundle with iCloud.

• Advertisement

Strange, the eligibility was supposed to only run between Nov 1 and Jan 31st.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/01/30/apple-tv-plus-free-for-a-year-last-chance/

Basically, for anybody who purchased a new device after September 10th and activated the offer between the above dates. I read the same in the T&C’s on their website.

Maybe they’re not strictly enforcing the deadlines to increase user memberships.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Thanks for replies!

I seem to be out of the timeframe if it did end Jan 31st.

Does Apple know by device or by apple account?

I would have the device since Sept but the Apple account a long time!

• I just got a new MacBook and I was trying to sign up for the free trial for the year.

I’d assumed this was an ongoing thing that anytime you bought a device you get a free year but I can’t see the option to sign up for free and I’m not seeing stuff here about 30th of Jan being the last day?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭iniall

I just got a new MacBook and I was trying to sign up for the free trial for the year.

I’d assumed this was an ongoing thing that anytime you bought a device you get a free year but I can’t see the option to sign up for free and I’m not seeing stuff here about 30th of Jan being the last day?

Still says every new Mac comes with one year of Apple TV+ on apple.com...

I’ve a feeling Apple might have done a switch and extended it for the immediate future. Worth while shooting an email to support and finding out their official stance.

• iniall wrote: »
    Still says every new Mac comes with one year of Apple TV+ on apple.com...
    I’ve a feeling Apple might have done a switch and extended it for the immediate future. Worth while shooting an email to support and finding out their official stance.

Sorted it there, something must have gone a miss at first but when I closed and resigned in I was offered the 1 year trial.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I bought a new iMac this week and I have it.

My understanding is that there is no doubt about the continued validity of the offer. It is still clearly listed on Apple’s website: https://offers.appletvapp.apple/en-ie

The deadline of the 31rst of January was for people who bought new devices in September/October to activate the offer (which I think some people might have misunderstood and assumed it meant Apple completely stopping to offer 1 year trials for new purchases after that date).

Basically as far as I understand there is a delay of 3 months after the device purchase to activate the offer; except for devices purchased in September/October for which there was a hard deadline of 31rst of January instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Simon201

Apple TV appeared on my LG TV apps last week (UM7450) so nice and handy to run it there instead of airplay through the phone.

I'm on 'For All Mankind' now having watched The Morning Show and See. Enjoying them pretty much so far. Yes they definitely need more content but up to now it seems that they have gone for quality rather content. I didn't pay as a family sharing member bought an iPad recently. Probably wouldn't have paid, but I might be interested if they had a combined Apple Music/iCloud storage/Apple TV bundle at some point...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭ablelocks

i got a notification on my ipad mini 2 on thursday night telling me that my time to avail of free apple tv was nearly up. I signed up there and then and have free appletv until 5th Mar 2021. I only bought an apple watch series 5 last october, and they told me that i wasn't eligible for the offer back then. I suspect they've dropped some of their t's and c's in order to get the subscription numbers up....

• Advertisement

Apple released their newest film The Banker today. Sat down earlier to watch it, the quality was terrible. Tried multiple ways to fix it but it was consistently terrible even on different devices.

Just read now that Apple has dropped quality in line with the rest of the streaming services. The quality is shockingly bad though, like watching a blocky pixelated badly encoded video.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/03/20/apple-tv-plus-streaming-quality-coronavirus/

Pretty bad for Apple to give this the go ahead, supposedly Netflix has no noticeable difference but Apple isn’t watchable for me. Really hope they revert, not exactly like they have massive viewer numbers that would have an impactful effect on the EU broadband infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Zhane

Apple released their newest film The Banker today. Sat down earlier to watch it, the quality was terrible. Tried multiple ways to fix it but it was consistently terrible even on different devices.

Just read now that Apple has dropped quality in line with the rest of the streaming services. The quality is shockingly bad though, like watching a blocky pixelated badly encoded video.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/03/20/apple-tv-plus-streaming-quality-coronavirus/

Pretty bad for Apple to give this the go ahead, supposedly Netflix has no noticeable difference but Apple isn’t watchable for me. Really hope they revert, not exactly like they have massive viewer numbers that would have an impactful effect on the EU broadband infrastructure.

Don’t agree with this. I had look at it and it’s actually grand. It’s not 4K but definitely HD It’s much much better than some of the TV broadcasts.

Zhane wrote: »
    Don’t agree with this. I had look at it and it’s actually grand. It’s not 4K but definitely HD It’s much much better than some of the TV broadcasts.

Not for me anyway, tried it on an iPhone and MacBook and even on the smaller iPhone screen I could notice how terrible it looks. Noticed it right away with how the text showed up, at first I thought it was a glitch and restarted the app and laptop because it looked so bad.

Edit: Just tried it now on my iPhone and the quality has actually improved massively. So they must have realised how bad it was. At its currently quality it’s easily watchable for me, I tried it again earlier this evening and the quality was still terrible so this just be a recent fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭KildareP

Streaming at ~2Mbps on an Apple TV 4K since yesterday morning.

Would have been 20Mbps+ less than 48 hours ago.

Seems Apple has gone full on with watch in SD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭KildareP

Seems to have reverted back to near normal again, an hour of The Morning Show has used up over 10GB of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Disney+ is on loads more devices. I have it on my 2017 LG TV.
    Be nice if Apple could put it on more devices. As it no real use for me at the moment. Only have it on my iPhone.

Disney+ is on loads more devices. I have it on my 2017 LG TV.
    Be nice if Apple could put it on more devices. As it no real use for me at the moment. Only have it on my iPhone.

I was just above the cut-off too with my 2016 LG TV. Apple TV is the only app I'm really missing at the moment, but I've zero expectations of Apple supporting it. Pity as I'm finding a lot of the content on TV+ to be enjoyable, just having to hook the laptop to the TV to be a pain.

Some of the Apple TV+ content available for free without a subscription: https://www.engadget.com/apple-tv-plus-free-053445049.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭davehey79

Bob24 wrote: »
    Some of the Apple TV+ content available for free without a subscription: https://www.engadget.com/apple-tv-plus-free-053445049.html

have you been able to access the "free" content?
    i see no option in the app for any new free content

• Advertisement

davehey79 wrote: »
    have you been able to access the "free" content?
    i see no option in the app for any new free content

I am still on a one year free subscription with a hardware purchase, so I can’t try unfortunately.

Advertisement