Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon moves to lottery entries!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Weird, got two emails with differing codes to enter?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

In theory, if everyone or even a high percentage of people who have ran the last three years buy an entry, the lottery may not even be possible? Given that the number could exceed 22,500 or whatever they have permission for.This is SUCH a shambles. Really hoping it all works out and most people get the lottery that want to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Supercell wrote: »
    Weird, got two emails with differing codes to enter?

Did you use 2 different email addresses when registering before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Can someone clarify, did you need to run ALL 3 marathons, 2017,18,19 to get a link or just one of the last 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

morceli wrote: »
    Did you use 2 different email addresses when registering before?

Nope and both to the same email address, suspect the email server is overloaded.

Only using one, the application form states that they reserve the right to contact and verify id and previous race times, not worth the risk in my opinion. Other place will be used in the lottery anyhow so not depriving anyone.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Cona wrote: »
    Can someone clarify, did you need to run ALL 3 marathons, 2017,18,19 to get a link or just one of the last 3?

Just 1

The website would have a meltdown if they did everyone at 12PM.
    Doesn't seem fair though as potentially all entries could be gone half way through the process....
    If anyone wants to do a text file comparison between the results of the 3 years wonder how many people would have entered at least 1 marathon. Any guesses ? Defo north of 30k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Theyll cross check the codes to make sure the email registering in is the same as the one they sent out id say.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Just 1
    You don't need to have even run anyone , just entered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

got mail at 1346--in now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

If anyone wants to do a text file comparison between the results of the 3 years wonder how many people would have entered at least 1 marathon. Any guesses ? Defo north of 30k

Based on their own figures of about 4,000 doing it on consecutive years there is scope for anything between 35 and 43,000 people...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Got email 13:44
    registered now

Kept missing out on 2019 registration

Last did Dublin in 2017 which thankfully got me this entry.

prior to that did

so it'll be nice to be back :) (just need to manage that sub 3:20 I've been chasing the last few years now!)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Based on their own figures of about 4,000 doing it on consecutive years there is scope for anything between 35 and 43,000 people...

Which means if everyone took their priority entry's anyone doing the lotto is.....well, screwed
    Even if 1/3 take them thats a lot of disappointed lotto people.

One way or another the marathon organizers sell out the marathon so its win for them, but its going to piss of some people no end

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jonnbinn

edit_me wrote: »
    For god sake lads - stop complaining...

This times a million☝....Hard to please the eternally outraged!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Cabaal wrote: »
    Which means if everyone took their priority entry's anyone doing the lotto is.....well, screwed

Where would all the 15euros go!?:pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

You don't need to have even run anyone , just entered.

Still not got my email, but have just realised that we'd both entered in 2017 although only one of us ran. Excellent, that will save me needing to enter the lottery for one of us then.

Just need the emails now...

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Where would all the 15euros go!?:pac:

KBC account on twitter said its refunded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

So they want AAI membership number now instead of just clicking on club name??
    More work for our club secretary!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭PIORUN

got my email now

• Registered Users Posts: 45 akeady

I'm in too - I got my email at 10.52 and had entered by 11.39.

It's at this time of year I say "I'll train over the winter and lose weight and be in good shape for next year" - and this'll be the year...

I've done the last 13 - from 2007 inclusive and it would be a shame to stop now. In 2007, I entered in early September after a night out when someone said "We should do the marathon" - the other two chickened out after running around Howth Head the next day, but I've been hooked since.

I'll try to follow the mentoring posts for 2020 later - 4.03.37 is the best I've managed, so Sub-4 in 2020 is the target :)

ATB,
    Aidan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Cona wrote: »
    Same thing use to happen with Kerry Way charity cycle. I remember people who never cycled in their lives signing up so that they could talk sh**e about getting in etc.
    If you mean the Ring of Kerry Cycle, it essentially killed the golden goose. It hasn't sold out since.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fatboyfin

Macy0161 wrote: »
    If you mean the Ring of Kerry Cycle, it essentially killed the golden goose. It hasn't sold out since.

Yep - this is what stopped us. Group of 5 lads did it 4 years in a row. Once we couldn't all be guaranteed entry we stopped. And I turned to running instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Still no email - ran all 3 years. Brave move doing anything IT on a friday afternoon :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Ran this year, entered at around 1pm, about an hour after I got my email. Can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I've a feeling this is going to be a calamitous disaster in terms of places. I can't see many places being allocated to lottery. Anyone who gets a code will most likely offer it on or purchase knowing it will sell out. I can see adverts.ie being very busy with places for sale potentially for profit. Also factoring in places that will be reserved for international travel agencies.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I've a feeling this is going to be a calamitous disaster in terms of places. I can't see many places being allocated to lottery. Anyone who gets a code will most likely offer it on or purchase knowing it will sell out. I can see adverts.ie being very busy with places for sale potentially for profit. Also factoring in places that will be reserved for international travel agencies.
    Well, given that anyone that has entered the last 3 years plus a fair few club runners will be able to get an entry, what is the additional demand going to be?

Consider that it took 40 days to sell out the last time, plus you still have additional entries coming online in June for people who request a refund.

Yes I'm sure it will sell out but the demand won't be such that numbers are being sold on for huge profits, hasn't happened in previous years and won't happen this year.

Also sites like adverts, toutless, boards don't allow the selling of numbers so that limits the opportunity for people to cash in.

Finally with the numbers of no-shows in 2019 there may be an opportunity for DCM to go looking for more entries if the demand is there. Like most years I expect that most (but not all) people looking for a place will get one.

I think people need to relax a little bit, the race is popular but it is not like London where 500,000 people are applying for 20,000 entries or whatever amount are distributed via the ballot for that race.

Also factoring in places that will be reserved for international travel agencies.

Don't forget charity entries, it could go the way of the London marathon.
    Would be an awful shame.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Cabaal wrote: »
    Don't forget charity entries, it could go the way of the London marathon.
    Would be an awful shame.

When has Dublin ever reserved entries for Charities? I'm not aware of it if they have.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Still nothing here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

robinph wrote: »
    Still nothing here...

Same. :(

Advertisement