Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon moves to lottery entries!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 fatboyfin

https://twitter.com/Cathal_Dennehy/status/1189875270280523778

Statement from Dublin Marathon says they will guarantee entry to anyone who participated in one of the last three editions - places also allocated to Athletics Ireland for club members to run the national championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

quick lads, row back, row back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

fatboyfin wrote: »

Statement from Dublin Marathon says they will guarantee entry to anyone who participated in one of the last three editions - places also allocated to Athletics Ireland for club members to run the national championship.

ex0rqf4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Good to hear.

Common sense move.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,027 ✭✭✭✭event

So there'll only be like 4k slots left for the ballot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

event wrote: »
    So there'll only be like 4k slots left for the ballot

Not if everyone who ran in any of the last 3 editions panics and takes up the guaranteed spot. They'd be oversubscribed! :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Not making it up as they go along in the slightest then?

Now I'm tempted to enter on the off chance I can get time out to pop over next year...hmmmm. Worst case I become one of the weird people who enter but never make the start line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Thank god I bought one of those extra 2500 tickets for a mate this year, technically Im in lol

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Well done to Marathon organisers. It would have been easy for them to dig their heels in. A happy compromise I think

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

PaulieC wrote: »
    quick lads, row back, row back

I retract all my previous statements where I implied that the DCM marathon committee are corrupt, have sold out, are money grabbing, as bad as the clowns in the Dail, influenced by KBC and are secret scientologists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Not if everyone who ran in any of the last 3 editions panics and takes up the guaranteed spot. They'd be oversubscribed! :eek:

not necessarily, Id imagine there is a very high percentage of repeat runners from the past three years

probably still over subscribed but might not be by as much as it appears at first

I think the lottery thing will definitely result in it selling out immediately. anyone who is sort of on the fence will subscribe as they know they will be able to cancel it later if they change their mind, bit awkward but it is what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

This is crazy so basically if everyone who ran this year wanted to run again 2020 then no one new could enter the race.

Its a joke and unfair to possible newbies

Its not like it sells out in one days, even this years event took months to sell out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

kilns wrote: »
    This is crazy so basically if everyone who ran this year wanted to run again 2020 then no one new could enter the race.

You're giving out about something that won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

This change to the Lottery system is positive. However the situation with this being the AAI national marathon championship still exists, in that AAI members are only guaranteed entry if they meet the tough GFA times. As noted by Cork Athletics, these GFA times are met by only ~ 25% of AAI entrants. Therefore unless the other 75% have run the marathon in the past 3 yrs, they will be subject to the ballot. Recognise most competitive runners in the Championship will either have the GFA time or ran it in the past 3 yrs, but there will be a good number who fall outside this I imagine. Also the ballot may be over-subscribed due to less spaces being available as many of the prior entrants will take up their spot, even if they are not sure of running knowing they will be able to pass on to someone next yr as demand will be there (know this is strictly against the rules but its not policed).

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭omicron

Its a joke and unfair to possible newbies

Its not like it sells out in one days, even this years event took months to sell out

They've said on the website that there's usually 4000 runners take part in consecutive years, so add another few thousand from the previous years there'll still be a vast majority who haven't entered in recent years.

They can't keep everyone happy no matter what they do.

omicron wrote: »
    They've said on the website that there's usually 4000 runners take part in consecutive years, so add another few thousand from the previous years there'll still be a vast majority who haven't entered in recent years.

My point is hypothetically everyone could enter again and those that are unsure will use their option possibly.

by keeping everyone happy, was their complaints about first come first serve? Its the fairest way and its not like you are on the site clicking refresh hoping you get in, you will have weeks and months to register

• Registered Users Posts: 18,252 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

omicron wrote: »

People keep saying this, but who created this entire situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭ooter

i for one am glad they've made this move, it means i wont have to wait till next january to see if i have an entry and wont have to join a club and run a spring marathon now to try and get a GFA time in case i didn't get in through the lottery.

People keep saying this, but who created this entire situation?

The interest in the race created the situation. The organisers made some mistakes and have come up with as equitable a solution as possible to calm the storm. I can't think of any other marathon that guarantees entry based on taking part in one of the previous 3 years editions. It's very generous to past participants. Whether this is a model they carry into future editions will be interesting.

I see from their statement that they have confirmed that the reason for the change was not to give people a fair chance to enter, but to collect firm numbers that they can use to get permission to expand the event.

Seems like a fair enough reason, but talk about bungling the message.

• Advertisement

The interest in the race created the situation. The organisers made some mistakes and have come up with as equitable a solution as possible to calm the storm. I can't think of any other marathon that guarantees entry based on taking part in one of the previous 3 years editions. It's very generous to past participants. Whether this is a model they carry into future editions will be interesting.

It might be generous after the fact, but it wouldn't have been needed at all if things had been done differently to begin with. "Measure twice and cut once" as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

fatboyfin wrote: »

Have they said how many places they are allocating to the National Marathon?

It still took months for it to sell out last year so everyone had plenty of time if they wanted to enter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Well lads they have made an absolute balls of this whatever way you look at it.

Given the new announcement, it means that past participants will get a link on Friday 1st and have until Monday to register or else it expires.
    Over the last 3 years, how many people would in theory need to be emailed a registration link?

I know not everyone will sign up for 2020. But technically I would say that there will be at least 25000 people who has ran Dublin over the last 3 years??

I hope DCM have done there maths

nannerby wrote: »
    Have they said how many places they are allocating to the National Marathon?

No. I would think that it will be incumbent on AI to set up a system where AI members who enter through either the past participation route or lottery can enter the Nationals separately.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

So the problem with the Nationals hasnt changed.

Cona wrote: »
    Well lads they have made an absolute balls of this whatever way you look at it.

Given the new announcement, it means that past participants will get a link on Friday 1st and have until Monday to register or else it expires.
    Over the last 3 years, how many people would in theory need to be emailed a registration link?

I know not everyone will sign up for 2020. But technically I would say that there will be at least 25000 people who has ran Dublin over the last 3 years??

I hope DCM have done there maths

It is hypothetical and unlikely to happen but...if 16/17,000 participated each year and 4,000 are running consecutive years then the total who are entitled to guaranteed entry is closer to 40,000

nannerby wrote: »
    So the problem with the Nationals hasnt changed.

Nothing in today's statement indicates it has.

It is hypothetical and unlikely to happen but...if 16/17,000 participated each year and 4,000 are running consecutive years then the total who are entitled to guaranteed entry is closer to 40,000

a lottery may change peoples minds and because its so far out people will take their gaurantee entry and then make a decision later on

• Advertisement

a lottery may change peoples minds and because its so far out people will take their gaurantee entry and then make a decision later on

There are many ifs, ands, pots and pans about how things will work out. Let's just let it play out. There will be places for most who want to take part.

Advertisement