Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon moves to lottery entries!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

can some clarify something for me please, who "owns" the Dublin marathon? Is there a limited company behind it or is it purely volunteer led?

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    can some clarify something for me please, who "owns" the Dublin marathon? Is there a limited company behind it or is it purely volunteer led?

Company details and directors are here:

http://kbcdublinmarathon.ie/contact-us/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

skyblue46 wrote: »
    There are many ifs, ands, pots and pans about how things will work out. Let's just let it play out. There will be places for most who want to take part.

if aint broke why fix it then?

I understand from an organisation point of view why they did it but why didnt they just say that, the initiall decision was not participant friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

nannerby wrote: »
    So the problem with the Nationals hasnt changed.

It has in so far as anyone who gets an entry (as a result of running in the last 3 years) wont have to rely on GFA to get in. This will give comfort to a lot of runners who would otherwise miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

tomwaits48 wrote: »

This is on the website:

About the KBC Dublin Marathon Race Organisers:

The KBC Dublin Marathon is run by a volunteer board under the auspices of Marathon Events Management DAC, a not for profit company, with any surplus funds generated from the organisation, promotion, development and management of the KBC Dublin Marathon and Race Series reinvested in the following year’s events.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭MacSwifty

Question?

Will DCM 2021 have the "original lottery system"?

and if so will we be back to square one this time next year?

I feel because of the "feedback" we may be only getting a reprieve for 2020 and then the lottery system will be introduced

Cheers MacSwifty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

chickey2 wrote: »
    This is on the website:

About the KBC Dublin Marathon Race Organisers:

The KBC Dublin Marathon is run by a volunteer board under the auspices of Marathon Events Management DAC, a not for profit company, with any surplus funds generated from the organisation, promotion, development and management of the KBC Dublin Marathon and Race Series reinvested in the following year’s events.

To their credit they have always been very transparent about this.
    I'd say they barely break even most years.

Compare that with the WMM company who employee a number of people to run the 10K in June and it's amazing what they achieve with a team of volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

So hopefully the Data Protection commissioner hasn't made them delete email addresses of 2016 entrants under GPDR!

Begs the question though, how long they can reasonably keep your details on file. Not that I'm complaining.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

chickey2 wrote: »

Also it's not exactly a secret that a price increase is needed for the marathon to survive because of increased costs. A lot of the cynicism towards DCM that came out as soon as the lottery proposal was announced was based on fairly wild assumptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

So hopefully the Data Protection commissioner hasn't made them delete email addresses of 2016 entrants under GPDR!

Begs the question though, how long they can reasonably keep your details on file. Not that I'm complaining.

2016 isn't good enough to get in for 2020. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Zebra3 wrote: »
    2016 isn't good enough to get in for 2020. ;)

Thanks, I misread that somehow. Have 2017 under my belt so all good!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

I'm by no means an expert here but I honestly think most people who want to run will get to.
    There will be a huge amount of refunds, nothing twigs hype and excitement like a lottery. Plenty of people will register, do a half marathon and realise how far it is, refund please!!
    To me, the only mistake they are making is that they should have a final refund window a few weeks before the marathon. This is when people get injured, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Ran Berlin when you could just enter. They introduced a lottery then it’s 1 in 4 get in. There will be travel companies that will have packages. They should have 1/2 times also in gfa like New York. It could be a good thing if there is a fast gfa wave strictly introduced. At present wave 1 is too slow but in adopting the gfa they need to treat those athletes well for getting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

I'm by no means an expert here but I honestly think most people who want to run will get to.
    There will be a huge amount of refunds, nothing twigs hype and excitement like a lottery. Plenty of people will register, do a half marathon and realise how far it is, refund please!!
    To me, the only mistake they are making is that they should have a final refund window a few weeks before the marathon. This is when people get injured, etc.

The problem with having a refund window a week or two before the close is that it doesn’t really give someone the chance to train properly. Not everybody would be willing to take a marathon entry 2 weeks beforehand and would require a bit more notice. It’s not DCM fault if you get injured or decide not to run, and they shouldn’t be held applicable, they have to plan and prepare a lot more in advance than you so I agree with not having refunds that late.
    That being said, they could have a system where you can do a change of name...but really that doesn’t matter too much either as lots of people take someone else’s number and run on the day....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

rom wrote: »
    Ran Berlin when you could just enter. They introduced a lottery then it’s 1 in 4 get in. There will be travel companies that will have packages. They should have 1/2 times also in gfa like New York. It could be a good thing if there is a fast gfa wave strictly introduced. At present wave 1 is too slow but in adopting the gfa they need to treat those athletes well for getting in.

There is no talk of a ‘fast gfa wave’. It’s just a last resort for speedier club runners who missed the lottery. Should the M75 gfa be up front in this gfa wave?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Cona wrote: »
    The problem with having a refund window a week or two before the close is that it doesn’t really give someone the chance to train properly. Not everybody would be willing to take a marathon entry 2 weeks beforehand and would require a bit more notice. It’s not DCM fault if you get injured or decide not to run, and they shouldn’t be held applicable, they have to plan and prepare a lot more in advance than you so I agree with not having refunds that late.
    That being said, they could have a system where you can do a change of name...but really that doesn’t matter too much either as lots of people take someone else’s number and run on the day....

You are absolutely right, but if if I didn't come out of the lottery but knew I could get a place a couple of weeks before the marathon, I'd probably train on the basis that I'll get one of the entries from someone who got injured

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭solidasarock

Happy they stepped back off the ledge.

At least now the door is open to at least discuss how to evolve entry.

But now that the event is pretty much a guaranteed sellout and the lottery is here to stay, some kind of way to defer a place a year is needed.

A year is a long time and life can get in the way between now and next year. People can make babies in that time. Or change jobs and move. Or decide to run Amsterdam or Frankfort instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

Lottery application link:

https://eventmaster.ie/event/WPQh65i0j

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭micar

Field to select quantity locked. Same with proceed button.

Can't currently get a ticket.....as it open at 9am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

micar wrote: »
    Can't currently get a ticket.....as it open at 9am

They've changed it now until 12 noon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭micar

They've changed it now until 12 noon.

Perhaps those who ran in the last 3 years are able purchase a ticket with a "code"

I'll need to wait to till noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If you ran in the previous 3 years do you just wait to receive the email link?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Thanks
    Yes. It’ll be sent out at 12 apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Thanks
    Think it’s if you have entered in the previous 3 years. Don’t need to have actually ran or finished .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

My code arrived just after 11 via email , signed up , paid, done and dusted, all sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

andrew1977 wrote: »
    My code arrived just after 11 via email , signed up , paid, done and dusted, all sorted.

Not got mine yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭opus

I took part in '17 so imagine I'll get one of those codes at some stage today, it's funny I'd no real interest in entering next year but all this fuss has made me want to :) Presume that's what FOMO does to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭Peckham

opus wrote: »
    I took part in '17 so imagine I'll get one of those codes at some stage today, it's funny I'd no real interest in entering next year but all this fuss has made me want to :) Presume that's what FOMO does to you!

Snap. I thought I was finished with DCM, and wasn't bothered about entering the lottery. Now I've got guaranteed entry having last run it in 2017, I'm tempted to go again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Just entered, ran in 18. Here we go again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Looks to me like the code isn't linked to your name?? Does this mean people can just give the code to someone else (I know that is against the rules etc, but seems to be possible)

Advertisement