Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Boggles wrote: »
    It's the same situation more or less.

The main problem is lack of accommodation and services, you have "cured" that with your super center capable of housing, educating and tending to 6000 odd people.

Surely if you have such confidence in the idea it would be a valid alternative for people in emergency accommodation?

If not, why not?

You don't have to have one super center, you could have a half dozen in the various pressure zones.

I’m open to having a number of centres. Just this one off model seems to be dysfunctional

• Registered Users Posts: 39,941 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I’m open to having a number of centres.

For people in emergency accommodation?
    Just this one off model seems to be dysfunctional

It's your "model".

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not like a prison. I said have education healthcare integration classes all the good stuff but on the other side have fast track deportations for bogus claimers.

Nah. Its locking people in and locking them away. You want to create a mass prison like system which is worse for asylum seekers even than DP.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Any proof/stats?

Geneuinly interested In it and you seem very confident in your assertions

80% of deportations require no enforcement, based on the figures from a year ago. 736 deportation orders up to October 2018, with 133 requiring enforcement. Those figures are not solely for asylum seekers of course, and some Illegal immigrants would have been appealing the order in court - a route not available to asylum seekers, having exhausted all legal appeals to remain.

Nah. Its locking people in and locking them away. You want to create a mass prison like system which is worse for asylum seekers even than DP.

Nah I don’t. I just want to extend the mosney campus and have more ppl there than around rural Ireland which the locals seem to be against. That’s all. It’s win win

• Advertisement

For people in emergency accommodation?

No. Not getting into discussions about emergency accom or other diversions.

The main thing I would say in restoring confidence in society for the asylum system is weed out the bogus chancers and deport them ASAP. Ppl would then have a bit of faith and hope on the system.

No. Not getting into discussions about emergency accom or other diversions.

DP is essentially emergency accommodation, they is fair chunk of asylum seekers and refugees in actual emergency accommodation. It's not a diversion, it's the same thing.

Would it right to think you have reflected on your "model" and decided it's a load of bollix?

DP is essentially emergency accommodation, they is fair chunk of asylum seekers and refugees in actual emergency accommodation. It's not a diversion, it's the same thing.

Would it right to think you have reflected on your "model" and decided it's a load of bollix?

No. Not engaging with u except on the asylum accom system. Not other diversions.

The main thing I would say in restoring confidence in society for the asylum system is weed out the bogus chancers and deport them ASAP. Ppl would then have a bit of faith and hope on the system.

That’s the current situation. Failed asylum claimants (whether bogus or valid) are issued with deportation orders in a timely fashion. This follows on from a clear appeals process.

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    That’s the current situation. Failed asylum claimants (whether bogus or valid) are issued with deportation orders in a timely fashion. This follows on from a clear appeals process.

Why do we keep hearing about ppl with deportation orders issued years ago who are still in the centres. Most ppl are extremely p1ssed off at this carry on. Hence the protests around various locations when MORE centers are being proposed.

Why do we keep hearing about ppl with deportation orders issued years ago who are still in the centres. Most ppl are extremely p1ssed off at this carry on. Hence the protests around various locations when MORE centers are being proposed.

You do? Like where? Aside from the odd instance where there is also a family member awaiting the outcome of an appeal in DP, that doesn’t arise.

Nah I don’t. I just want to extend the mosney campus and have more ppl there than around rural Ireland which the locals seem to be against. That’s all. It’s win win

Which is locking people up in a prison type system. Why do asylum seekers have to be locked way from Irish people? Why do you want to create a massive ghetto in Meath?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Reported.

But even you have reservations about your own prison proposals

Terry Pratchet

blueshade wrote: »
    There was a time when asylum was for royalty and politicians now any goat herder from Pakistan can rock up in Europe and ask for it.

We have a chronic shortage of sheep farmers.

He should be given a work Visa immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Can you link it please. A claim like that needs to be verified. Don’t want anyone accusing you of talking BS now do you?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rte.ie/amp/1084716/

Tip for you. Try not to get so upset and angry when faced with reality. Your supposed to be a working class hero. Working class heroes don’t want to dump other stateless homeless humans in the back arse of nowhere with nothing to do and no money just to prove a point. Ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Which is locking people up in a prison type system. Why do asylum seekers have to be locked way from Irish people? Why do you want to create a massive ghetto in Meath?

Asylum seekers cannot work legally and cannot claim SW. people need money to live. How do you propose they live from day to day?

Absolute nonsense, but feel free to keep reporting my posts. That's how it works, people don't like people telling the truth and pointing out the obvious, when getting hysterical and shouting racist and Islamaphobe doesn't work the incessant button pushing and reporting of posts of people who hold opposing views starts. It's all very well being a keyboard warrior Joey, but the gig is up people have woken up and they've smelled the horse manure.

The people of Ireland are no longer going to bend over and part both cheeks to fund benefit tourists from the arse end of Africa, Pakistan and Bangladesh anymore. We don't need foreign dole leeches to add to the home grown ones. Genuine refugees are welcome, not their extended families and they should then go home and rebuild their countries when the wars are over. No war back home? Then no asylum. There was a time when asylum was for royalty and politicians now any goat herder from Pakistan can rock up in Europe and ask for it.

The whole point of asylum claim assessments is to establish if the claimant has genuine refugee status. And extended families are not included in family reunification, which is only available to those deemed to have warranted protected status. Asylum was always framed as protection for those subject to persecution - regardless of whether there was a war involved or not.

splinter65 wrote: »

Tip for you. Try not to get so upset and angry when faced with reality. Your supposed to be a working class hero. Working class heroes don’t want to dump other stateless homeless humans in the back arse of nowhere with nothing to do and no money just to prove a point. Ok?

That doesn't verify the claim though does it?

I'm not suggesting it isn't a valid claim but who devised the maths?

EU, Government, etc?

Asylum seekers cannot work legally

They can after 9 months, there is barriers but they do and can work.

Plenty working in the hospitality sector in Lisdoonvarna.

• Advertisement

Asylum seekers cannot work legally and cannot claim SW. people need money to live. How do you propose they live from day to day?

A limited subset of asylum seekers can now legally work - following on from a judicial review.

But even you have reservations about your own prison proposals

It’s NOT a prison for the last time

It’s mosney which is already a centre just expanded so more can stay there and have more facilities centralized. Cost savings galore rather than having little centres in every crossroads of rural Ireland.

Proper facilities while ppl are being processed

Proper removal of deportees when cases decided

Rural Ireland happy that the system works. Asylum seekers happy that they are getting best options.

It’s a win win.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

The whole point of asylum claim assessments is to establish if the claimant has genuine refugee status. And extended families are not included in family reunification, which is only available to those deemed to have warranted protected status. Asylum was always framed as protection for those subject to persecution - regardless of whether there was a war involved or not.

Please explain to me how a man who was given asylum here was allowed to bring in 70 members of his extended family.

Please explain to me how the asylum system hasn't changed when Simon Coveney announced that Syrian refugees would NEVER return to Syria because as he put it, it's too broken.

Please educate yourself on proposed changes to the system that mean that anyone granted asylum here can be allowed to bring in their extended families. The vast majority of people coming here seeking asylum are economic migrants, that has been shown time and time and time again with the official figures of failed asylum seekers and their countries of origin. The official Census statistics on the number of non EU nationals living here is an absolute farce as anyone with eyes in their head can see. Christ, the last time a bunch of illegal lads jumped out of the back of a lorry the Gardai said there wasn't any point in looking for the, loose translation, there's so many black/brown lads now they wouldn't be able to identify them without stop and search powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,900 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Please explain to me how a man who was given asylum here was allowed to bring in 70 members of his extended family.

Please explain to me how the asylum system hasn't changed when Simon Coveney announced that Syrian refugees would NEVER return to Syria because as he put it, it's too broken.

Please educate yourself on proposed changes to the system that mean that anyone granted asylum here can be allowed to bring in their extended families. The vast majority of people coming here seeking asylum are economic migrants, that has been shown time and time and time again with the official figures of failed asylum seekers and their countries of origin. The official Census statistics on the number of non EU nationals living here is an absolute farce as anyone with eyes in their head can see. Christ, the last time a bunch of illegal lads jumped out of the back of a lorry the Gardai said there wasn't any point in looking for the, loose translation, there's so many black/brown lads now they wouldn't be able to identify them without stop and search powers.

Any link to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Absolutely nothing in that link backs up your claim. If you can provide verification I’ll gladly accept it. You, along with the group protesting seem to be falling foul of right wing propaganda. You see something claimed in the media then you repeat it as fact. It undermines your entire contribution to any debate.
    Now, instead of going off on a passive aggressive rant can you provide what I seek please?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Simple. It didn’t happen.

As to refugees returning to Syria - there’s never any obligation on refugees to return at all. Never was. Many will take up Irish citizenship.

john4321 wrote: »
    Any link to that?

You'll be lucky. It was acknowledged by the government at that time but has been well buried since then. I wonder how many others there were. I've no doubt you'll snigger, poo poo it and get a giggle from it. But the people on housing lists when those 70 people were put ahead of them won't have found it funny anymore than anyone on a housing list in any town or village in Ireland is finding it funny when an African, Pakistani or Bangladeshi family is put into a property ahead of them based on nothing but skin colour and a well rehearsed bogus sob story.

You'll be lucky. It was acknowledged by the government at that time but has been well buried since then. I wonder how many others there were. I've no doubt you'll snigger, poo poo it and get a giggle from it. But the people on housing lists when those 70 people were put ahead of them won't have found it funny anymore than anyone on a housing list in any town or village in Ireland is finding it funny when an African, Pakistani or Bangladeshi family is put into a property ahead of them based on nothing but skin colour and a well rehearsed bogus sob story.

It’s a nonsensical story that never happened. That’s why you won’t read anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

More unverified nonsense. Why can’t you and your ilk provide any backup to your claims?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Advertisement

It’s a nonsensical story that never happened. That’s why you won’t read anything about it.

No worries, as long as there are useful idiots like yourself the problem will continue.

Advertisement