Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asylum Seekers Getting Apartments in Ballinamore - mod warning in OP (18/10)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

bubblypop wrote: »
    Lol, so I did!
    Nope, doesn't sound like me at all.
    Not in the slightest

"It can't be me that's wrong!!"
    alastair wrote: »
    Failed asylum seekers Who have exhausted the appeals process are deported. But you realise that enforcement of a deportation order is expensive and generally unnecessary? The vast majority leave on their own, supported by the State.

How to even begin to unravel this gem of a post! Let's see...

1)... and how long until they've 'exhausted' the appeals process? How many nights under a roof that could have gone to an Irish person while they are taking the ****ing piss, which they're obviously doing if they're not being granted asylum? They clearly are in it for themselves, and don't care about conditions in the country or others in the country, correct?

2) You say the enforcement is expensive, then say they leave 'on their own', then you say the State pays... er... what? Did your brain reboot three times trying to make a point?
    Boggles wrote: »

Anyway it doesn't really matter, there was huge opposition to a DP in Lisdoonvarna, the place is now thriving better than before.

Gonna need citations and elaboration on this one chief.
    That's absolute bollix.

Sounds like something plucked from a BNP talking point.

YOU ARE LITERALLY HITLER FOR SAYING THISSSSSSS, the post. DP residents literally don't contribute, what are you on about.
    The people accusing people of Virtue signalling are usually guilty of the same. They are just signalling and trying to garner likes from a different crowd by singling someone out and saying lol look at this square with his woke notions, I'm so much cooler then him.

I like your tactic. Say something silly, ignore anyone quoting it and pointing out that it's silly, then pop back up a few pages later with more baseless claims and pretend nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Shouldn't a good Christian like yourself be all in favour of helping people make a better life for themselves?

You think coming to live in DP in Ballinamore is the best that we can do for these people?
    What’s being a good Christian got to do with it by the way? If you were even an average human being then you’d know it’s not.
    Are you an even average humanitarian Monk?

I asked you a question about 5 pages back. Can you answer it please.

I didn’t see it. Can you ask me again?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Gatling wrote: »
    Can you back up this claim at all .

We know 1800 were deported in 10 odd years which left another 7400 + not deported despite deportation orders being issued ..

Some proof ?

They’re not here. As you already know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

They’re not here. As you already know.

So no proof...just your assumption.
    Same sh1t different day.

• Advertisement

PostWoke wrote: »
    How to even begin to unravel this gem of a post! Let's see...

1)... and how long until they've 'exhausted' the appeals process? How many nights under a roof that could have gone to an Irish person while they are taking the ****ing piss, which they're obviously doing if they're not being granted asylum? They clearly are in it for themselves, and don't care about conditions in the country or others in the country, correct?

2) You say the enforcement is expensive, then say they leave 'on their own', then you say the State pays... er... what? Did your brain reboot three times trying to make a point?

I can see you need it in simple digestible chunks.

1. Currently the appeals process takes about six months to judgement. About half of those who appeal, and who are not successful, seek judicial review, which takes longer. You’ve no idea if a claimant is taking the piss or not. Plenty of claims are legitimate, but don’t meet the criteria in the final analysis - just like legitimate prosecutions don’t attain a guilty verdict. All asylum claimants, including those who are successful, are ‘in it for themselves’ - the point of the process is protection.

2. Enforced deportation costs way more than non-enforced deportation. Legal and court fees, Gardai time, Gardai flights and accommodation abroad. Not too sure why this point should be difficult to grasp. And yes - those who leave without enforcement, leave on their own. Unaccompanied. Travel paid for by the State.

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    So no proof...just your assumption.
    Same sh1t different day.

The absence is the proof. To that extent, sure - same **** (they’re no longer here), different day. Any evidence of deported asylum seekers remaining in the country?

I can see you need it in simple digestible chunks.

Nice sly insult
    Designed to fly just below the charter.

The absence is the proof. To that extent, sure - same **** (they’re no longer here), different day. Any evidence of deported asylum seekers remaining in the country?

You made the claim...prove it

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    You made the claim...prove it

I have proved it. There’s no evidence of any deported asylum seekers not leaving the country. None.

• Advertisement

I have proved it. There’s no evidence of any deported asylum seekers not leaving the country. None.

You haven't proved they left

• Registered Users Posts: 41,001 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Instead of these “one off” centres around da country which seem to be absolutely detested by the locals why not extend mosney put proper security around it and then have that as the national asylum seeker holding centre.

Like a big huge prison. Wonderfully humane idea.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,001 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Not saying they are

But if there was one centralized facility rather than them dotted every second townland in da country, it’d be better for the asylum seekers

Thats a ridiculously stupid suggestion
    1 It sounds like a big prison
    2 It ghettoises them
    3 It stigmatises them saying there is somethinh wrong with them
    3 It separates them.from the entire country and never gives them them the chance to interact with with or integrate with other people in the country

Nah. Its worse. Way worse.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

splinter65 wrote: »
    I didn’t see it. Can you ask me again?

Sure, you stated a figure of 1-2% regarding the integration of AS into a community. Just wondering where you got this figure from.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Sure, you stated a figure of 1-2% regarding the integration of AS into a community. Just wondering where you got this figure from.

I read it in one of the Irish independent articles. Filling these apartments in Ballinamore with asylum seekers would put the mix at 15% when the recommended percentage is no more then 2%.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,148 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Instead of these “one off” centres around da country which seem to be absolutely detested by the locals why not extend mosney put proper security around it and then have that as the national asylum seeker holding centre.

"Security"???

AS are free to leave the country at any stage.

They are free to leave DP at any stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Ballso

Geuze wrote: »
    "Security"???

Not really a 'prison' then

• Registered Users Posts: 15,398 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Like a big huge prison. Wonderfully humane idea.

Not like a prison. I said have education healthcare integration classes all the good stuff but on the other side have fast track deportations for bogus claimers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

splinter65 wrote: »
    I read it in one of the Irish independent articles. Filling these apartments in Ballinamore with asylum seekers would put the mix at 15% when the recommended percentage is no more then 2%.

Can you link it please. A claim like that needs to be verified. Don’t want anyone accusing you of talking BS now do you?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There’s no evidence

^ this is fact ^

Your claim is utter nonsense you actually made up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not like a prison. I said have education healthcare integration classes all the good stuff but on the other side have fast track deportations for bogus claimers.

A proper asylum center this is the way to go ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Geuze wrote: »

actually, would want to know how free AS really are to travel abroad; there have been claims on the continent that some of the Eritreans/Syrians are going back home on holiday (being implied this travel is on the welfare money) - so proposal was to get their asylum status revoked - https://voiceofeurope.com/2019/08/germany-refugees-who-return-home-on-holiday-will-have-asylum-status-revoked/
    question is: what does/should Ireland do about this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,743 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

mvl wrote: »
    actually, would want to know how free AS really are to travel abroad; there have been claims on the continent that some of the Eritreans/Syrians are going back home on holiday (being implied this travel is on the welfare money) - so proposal was to get their asylum status revoked - https://voiceofeurope.com/2019/08/germany-refugees-who-return-home-on-holiday-will-have-asylum-status-revoked/
    question is: what does/should Ireland do about this ?

Syrians vacationing back in Syria?

Sounds legit.

Also voiceofeurope.com? Do yourself a favor FFS.

An extended mosney with proper facilities like schools health care integration etc

and security along with a fast track process to weed out bogus claims and a fast track back to the airport for deportation flights seems to be the best option.

Would you recommend a similar facility for people in emergency accommodation?

They get released when a suitable home is sourced?

I mean proper security for the centre but especially the deportees. Not the asylum seekers while they are going thru the process. Then a decision is made. Either grant. Or deportation order then actually deport them. This last part doesn’t seem to happen all that often for some reason in Ireland. That needs to change for us all to have a bit of faith and hope in the system.

I mean proper security for the centre but especially the deportees. Not the asylum seekers while they are going thru the process. Then a decision is made. Either grant. Or deportation order then actually deport them. This last part doesn’t seem to happen all that often for some reason in Ireland. That needs to change for us all to have a bit of faith and hope in the system.

That's not what I asked, here is the question again.

That's not what I asked, here is the question again.

That’s a completely different situation.

Next you will be asking me what about tourists who can’t get hotels or something

So I won’t bother answering it.

All asylum seekers with deportation orders leave the country - the only exception being those who receive a ministerial order of protection - very rare. The vast majority leave the country without a need for enforcement, the notion that the only deportees are those who’s order requires enforcement is bizarre, to say the least.

That’s a completely different situation.

So I won’t bother answering it. Stay on topic !

It's the same situation more or less.

The main problem is lack of accommodation and services, you have "cured" that with your super center capable of housing, educating and tending to 6000 odd people.

Surely if you have such confidence in the idea it would be a valid alternative for people in emergency accommodation?

If not, why not?

You don't have to have one super center, you could have a half dozen in the various pressure zones.

• Advertisement

All asylum seekers with deportation orders leave the country - the only exception being those who receive a ministerial order of protection - very rare. The vast majority leave the country without a need for enforcement, the notion that the only deportees are those who’s order requires enforcement is bizarre, to say the least.

Any proof/stats?

Geneuinly interested In it and you seem very confident in your assertions

Advertisement