Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update - Lawn ruined by cattle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,384 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, have you a gate on your driveway? I drive cattle on the road infrequently even with having a fragmented farm. I close all gates prior to driving cattle (usually early Sunday morning) yet the amount of times the gate will be opened 30 mins later. I also open all gates I close. If you live in the countryside you need a gate and keep it closed. With the best will in the world, cattle break out, field gates left open etc etc.

Our cattle broke out last year after an eircom contracted hedge cutter knocked walls and left the cuttings fall on an electric fence knocking it out.

Yes I have a gate and it was open but it's not too much to ask I think for the person moving stock on the road to make sure they don't get in and if it does happen at least have the decency to let the homeowner know that the cattle broke in and they will pay for the cost of repairing the lawn.

I grew up on a farm so I know boths sides of this issue, we always made sure gates were closed in the houses we were passing and if there was no gate one of us stood at the driveway to make sure none of them got in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,826 ✭✭✭893bet

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Hi if you count 1156 euro of damage as minimal then yes it was minimal.

The robot cannot cut it.

What is the break down of the 1156 euro of damage? What is the “fix”?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Sand is a good filler actually doesn’t take that long !
    3/4 hours can repair a lot !

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Hi if you count 1156 euro of damage as minimal then yes it was minimal.

The robot cannot cut it.
    [

Would a few cattle or sheep keep the grass under control until you get the lawn back in shape...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Up Donegal

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, have you a gate on your driveway? I drive cattle on the road infrequently even with having a fragmented farm. I close all gates prior to driving cattle (usually early Sunday morning) yet the amount of times the gate will be opened 30 mins later. I also open all gates I close. If you live in the countryside you need a gate and keep it closed. With the best will in the world, cattle break out, field gates left open etc etc.

Our cattle broke out last year after an eircom contracted hedge cutter knocked walls and left the cuttings fall on an electric fence knocking it out.

...and securely locked as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Time to up the ante, I live in a rural area and as already suggested farmers/ rural people like to keep up a certain public appearance. I have had an issue with a person in my locality, was quickly sorted when I stated it would become public knowledge if it were not remedied. The matter was resolved quickly and importantly quietly.

So we took your advice. The court sent us the decree to send on to the sheriff. We wrote to the father of the farmer explaining our options and mentioned that it may be quicker for us to do a public fundraiser in the local paper and at mass instead of the sheriff.

Strangely enough got a call today....they want to pay the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

So we took your advice. The court sent us the decree to send on to the sheriff. We wrote to the father of the farmer explaining our options and mentioned that it may be quicker for us to do a public fundraiser in the local paper and at mass instead of the sheriff.

Good news.

So we gave it a few weeks and nobody came to pay the bill so we sent the decree to the Sheriff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

So we gave it a few weeks and nobody came to pay the bill so we sent the decree to the Sheriff.

Fair play to ya!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Fair play. This farmer has clearly been stringing you along in the hope that you would run out of steam. Call his bluff once and for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Just skimmed the post, sorry for your illness op, hope the time you have is happy and with those you love around.
    I cant understand the farmer, he has a business and "it" damaged your property, he should pay and put a stop to this saga.
    As for comments that you should put up a gate etc, utter tripe. If a business owner wants to run cattle on a public road then he has an obligation to ensure the cattle dont enter peoples property. Certainly not the ops fault. The sence of entitlement from some posters is quite unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

You gave them every chance, they deserve what they get at this stage...too many people think they can walk all over everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

TBh, if I was terminally ill I think i'd like to spend what remaining time I had enjoying what was left of my life rather than wasting it away on the trivial matter of a few humps and holes in the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

TBh, if I was terminally ill I think i'd like to spend what remaining time I had enjoying what was left of my life rather than wasting it away on the trivial matter of a few humps and holes in the grass.

Be grateful you don't have to make that decision and move on, no need for spite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

I know, and I hope so too or not for a long time but it does seem rather trivial in comparison. From the pictures the damage doen't look all that big of a deal. Few hollows and humps. Sure we had cattle in the front of the house here several times and we never went claiming over it.

The way the OP has come at this with court proceedings and the sherrif you'd swear someone had come in and dug the whole place up with a JCB.
    A real good way to make yourself look like a troublemaker in a rural community where everyone knows eachother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

I know, and I hope so too or not for a long time but it does seem rather trivial in comparison. From the pictures the damage doen't look all that big of a deal. Few hollows and humps. Sure we had cattle in the front of the house here several times and we never went claiming over it.

The way the OP has come at this with court proceedings and the sherrif you'd swear someone had come in and dug the whole place up with a JCB.
    A real good way to make yourself look like a troublemaker in a rural community where everyone knows eachother.

The owner of the cattle should have just fixed it though. As you say it would have taken him a few hours - job done, no sheriff etc

I would hazard that if the farmer allowed the cattle in one lawn he has done it to others!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭coolbeans

That's a sickening comment and I'm from a farm in a rural community. Your take basically is the OP is dying and you think he's making a mountain out of a molehill over the lawn so he should get his priorities right and enjoy life in his community and ignore the issue. No wonder so many people act the kunt when there are so many like yourself ready to condone his behaviour. Then you make him out to be a troublemaker for putting his head above the parapet and asking for rectification. It's you and your ilk defending the bad behaviour who are the troublemakers.

Btw when our animals broke out we always rectified the damage without issue. We were wrong so we sorted it. It's not difficult. Stop defending arseholery.

In sum, since you have a problem with it I'll break it down for you, the errant farmer is the troublemaker here, not the OP.

Hi if you read the thread in full you will see every chance was given to sort it. Even a further 4 weeks before the sheriff was contacted.

Was your robot lawnmower able to travel over your lawn after the cattle were on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,236 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Hi if you read the thread in full you will see every chance was given to sort it. Even a further 4 weeks before the sheriff was contacted.

Was your robot lawnmower able to travel over your lawn after the cattle were on it ?

How are you doing now? Agree every chance has been given to settle. He sounds like a prick tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Would you have allowed the farmer himself fix your lawn if he offered to do so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Would you have allowed the farmer himself fix your lawn if he offered to do so

Maybe try reading the thread like the first post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Good stuff. Terrible that they had to face public shame to do the right thing.

What the fúck is wrong with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

STB. wrote: »

What the fúck is wrong with you.

I'm sure that poster could ask you the same thing tbh ...

Yeah good to be neighbourly and settle things amicably but a piece of lawn is not the end of civilisation as we know it. And yes I've had my lawn visited by wandering livestock - I kept them there and let the owner know.

Yeah I get it some will want things remedied. Thats how it is...

gozunda wrote: »

Yeah good to be neighbourly and settle things amicably but a piece of lawn is not the end of civilisation as we know it. And yes I've had my lawn visited by wandering livestock - I kept them there and let the owner know.

Yeah I get it some will want things remedied. Thats how it is...

Especially after 4 visits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

fritzelly wrote: »
    Maybe try reading the thread like the first post

Doesn’t answer the question

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Doesn’t answer the question

Yes he would have allowed it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

gozunda wrote: »

Are you sure ? I'm sure he will answer for himself "gozunda" TBH.

He may never know what its like to be in the position of the OP and why, but to come in here with his size 12s and be disrespectful about what ones priorities should be when terminally ill, is pig ignorant in my opinion.

A troublemaker... Do you mean him or me

By the way how did your claim work out for the dent in your 15 year old car, did you get cash from the old man for your time

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Mod: Cool it down folks, please.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

STB. wrote: »
    Are you sure ? I'm sure he will answer for himself "gozunda" TBH.

He may never know what its like to be in the position of the OP and why, but to come in here with his size 12s and be disrespectful about what ones priorities should be when terminally ill, is pig ignorant in my opinion.

No worries - that was rhetorical but yeah I reckon akin to asking anyone "What the fúck is wrong with you." "STB" ..

But dont worry about it ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement