Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update - Lawn ruined by cattle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,185 ✭✭✭✭Base price

_Brian wrote: »
    That must be recent change.
    Wasn’t it the Cavan or Longford Sherriff that was shot a few years back collecting a debt ??
    There are people around the country who are Revenue Sheriffs but they only work on behalf of the Collector General - collecting outstanding taxes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭bmc58

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Well the sheriff will go to his home which is a farm to recover money or remove goods.

I also have someone keeping tabs on the livestock

Farmer sounds like a tough boyo.What will you do if the sheriff brings you an old rusty tractor and 50 bales of wrapped silage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

bmc58 wrote: »
    Farmer sounds like a tough boyo.What will you do if the sheriff brings you an old rusty tractor and 50 bales of wrapped silage?

Sell them for a fiver, and then send the sheriff back to seize more goods until the outstanding amount is paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,469 ✭✭✭Ginger83

bmc58 wrote: »

They sell it at auction.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Sell them for a fiver, and then send the sheriff back to seize more goods until the outstanding amount is paid.

Exactly, sherriff does not care what they sell for.

• Advertisement

So judgement has been marked by the judge early Dec and the farmer was given 14 days to pay the court in full.

Just had a relation of the land owner up to see if we could come to an agreement....don't see what it has to do with him, result has been awarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So judgement has been marked by the judge early Dec and the farmer was given 14 days to pay the court in full.

Just had a relation of the land owner up to see if we could come to an agreement....don't see what it has to do with him, result has been awarded.
    The idiot farmer is probably embarressed and asked this person to approach you..

Surely it can be settled by him paying the full amount now ??

The idiot farmer is probably embarressed and asked this person to approach you..

Surely it can be settled by him paying the full amount now ??

Well he offered to roll it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Odelay

He had all the chances to come up with an agreement or challenge in court. This is all his doing and no one else’s. I wouldn’t engage with them.

Odelay wrote: »
    He had all the chances to come up with an agreement or challenge in court. This is all his doing and no one else’s. I wouldn’t engage with them.

Horse is gone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snowfire

Horse is gone

To France..?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭maidhc

Having a court order and money in your account are not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Having the sheriff involved the money will be collected and the longer it drags on the more it will cost the farmer in this case are sheriff recovery and legal costs will be added on. They can and will take and sell his house and farm if they had to and will recover debt one way or another
    Like the program cant pay we will take it away a lot thought they could get away without paying there debt as well

djmc wrote: »
    Having the sheriff involved the money will be collected and the longer it drags on the more it will cost the farmer in this case are sheriff recovery and legal costs will be added on. They can and will take and sell his house and farm if they had to and will recover debt one way or another
    Like the program cant pay we will take it away a lot thought they could get away without paying there debt as well

In this country if you don't want to pay you don't really have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,815 ✭✭✭endainoz

Ginger83 wrote:
    Well he offered to roll it

Pity that wasn't offered originally. Did you you not say that wasn't an option originally? I'm assuming you have already paid someone to fix this lawn so it a bit late for rolling anyways?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,249 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

maidhc wrote: »

That is only if you have nothing. Sheriff will collect. This is why OP has been approached but it too late. If they fail to pay sheriff he will take whatever he need to settle account. Cattle, Machinery, cars, TV's, baled silage. As well all costs to to with collection will be added to bill.

A 15k tractor could be taken and sold for 5-6k and it might just cover compensation for lawn and costs incurred by sheriff

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,517 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The whole debacle is a lesson on how not to treat your neighbors or anything in life really.

If there is a problem, deal with it, as they say in the marines, “bad news doesn’t get better with age”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I don't know what country you're in but it don't work like that in Ireland thanks be to God.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

endainoz wrote: »
    Pity that wasn't offered originally. Did you you not say that wasn't an option originally? I'm assuming you have already paid someone to fix this lawn so it a bit late for rolling anyways?

No the lawn has lay unusable ever since, grass is a foot high.

Having a court order and money in your account are not the same thing.

I think the farmer is about to be reminded of that song- I fought the law and....

• Advertisement

The whole debacle is a lesson on how not to treat your neighbors or anything in life really.

If there is a problem, deal with it, as they say in the marines, “bad news doesn’t get better with age”

Absolutely, sad that it had to come to this really. Seems like the ignorance/negligence of the farmer did them no favours and now they are desperately trying to solve it when it's clearly too late. This could have been dealt with in a much more civilised Manor instead of the OP being ignored constantly.

I don't know what country you're in but it don't work like that in Ireland thanks be to God.

I live in Ireland, and I am a solicitor so I have some idea what I am a talking about.

I am not saying the farmer was right in ignoring the issue, just saying that it is notoriously hard and slow to get money out of people, even those who have assets.

Absolutely, sad that it had to come to this really. Seems like the ignorance/negligence of the farmer did them no favours and now they are desperately trying to solve it when it's clearly too late. This could have been dealt with in a much more civilised Manor instead of the OP being ignored constantly.

What they are still trying to do is come up with ways to get out of paying.

Probably realize how bad they'll look if it makes papers too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I live in Ireland, and I am a solicitor so I have some idea what I am a talking about.

I am not saying the farmer was right in ignoring the issue, just saying that it is notoriously hard and slow to get money out of people, even those who have assets.

Once you seize assets to cover the debt, getting money from the debtor is irrelevant. Where there's a will there's a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You may claim to be a solicitor but from reading your post "In this country if you don't want to pay, you don't really have to" I find your claim extremely hard to believe.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I don't dispute that but payment will come one way or another.

What they are still trying to do is come up with ways to get out of paying.

Probably realize how bad they'll look if it makes papers too

Just out of interest, would you have accepted the offer from the farmer to roll it if it was offered much earlier? I remember in the previous thread you had said that wasn't an option but I'm not sure if you gave a reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,236 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I don't dispute that but payment will come one way or another.

In what time frame though? I had a court case. Payment was to be made to me within so many days. It was made well before that date. Is it worth all the stress?

Just out of interest, would you have accepted the offer from the farmer to roll it if it was offered much earlier? I remember in the previous thread you had said that wasn't an option but I'm not sure if you gave a reason?

No we'd prefer a suitable qualified and insured person to repair it.

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    In what time frame though? I had a court case. Payment was to be made to me within so many days. It was made well before that date. Is it worth all the stress?

I don't understand

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement