Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Update - Lawn ruined by cattle

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Thanks for the update OP. An interesting case and a lesson in how to deal with issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭endainoz

Ginger83 wrote: »
    No we'd prefer a suitable qualified and insured person to repair it.

I admire your confidence in getting this money one way or another, hopefully it will work out for you. I'd be wary of delaying tactics all the same. Is the place properly fenced off now at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Quote: maidhc

In this country if you don't want to pay you don't really have to.

I don't know what country you're in but it don't work like that in Ireland thanks be to God.

KBC bank might aggree with "maidhc".

Just pray this recalcitrant farmer doesn't have any friends in the IRA or the Freemen movement. If he does, could be interesting when Sherrif shows up at his gate

• Registered Users Posts: 29,237 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I don't understand

How long before you will get any money. Is it worth all the stress and no money?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Thanks for the update OP. An interesting case and a lesson in how to deal with issues.

Yes we are trying to send a clear message to the land owner but the ironic thing is the land is still not fenced off very well.

It will be an even dearer mistake if it happens again because next time we are having the lawns fully relaid.

• Advertisement

endainoz wrote: »
    I admire your confidence in getting this money one way or another, hopefully it will work out for you. I'd be wary of delaying tactics all the same. Is the place properly fenced off now at least?

No :)

whelan2 wrote: »
    How long before you will get any money. Is it worth all the stress and no money?

Its 4 months to date.

I will pursue him to bankruptcy if i have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

OP, would you not be worried about this individual getting their own back on you?
    The law may be on your side but I think sometimes you are just better to let things go.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

OP, would you not be worried about this individual getting their own back on you?
    The law may be on your side but I think sometimes you are just better to let things go.

Not a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Are you the farmer? :pac:

• Advertisement

What's he going to do? Destroy the lawn again? :p

KCross wrote: »

:D

Well I know of a case where a girl put in a claim against this guy who accidentally damaged her teeth in a minor car incident. Her boyfriend was approached in a pub one night by a local heavy, a relative of the driver. He threathened the boyfriend who then went a made a statement to the guards. Turns out the heavy has a list of assaults to his name. I know one guy who had his jaw broken and his teeth knocked out by him.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

KCross wrote: »

Yes, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Well I know of a case where a girl put in a claim against this guy who accidentally damaged her teeth in a minor car incident. Her boyfriend was approached in a pub one night by a local heavy, a relative of the driver. He threathened the boyfriend who then went a made a statement to the guards. Turns out the heavy has a list of assaults to his name. I know one guy who had his jaw broken and his teeth knocked out by him.

And what was the outcome of that?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

If everyone lived in fear no debts would ever be paid.

Her boyfriend was approached in a pub one night by a local heavy,... I know one guy who had his jaw broken and his teeth knocked out by him.

I know loads of rough people and plenty of thugs, and none would get involved in anything like that, over an insurance claim. :rolleyes:

These people will get violent, but only when it's needed and not when the person is above board and can go to the law. They don't try to bring a load of attention to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Jb1989

But did the heavy attack the boyfriend after the statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,821 ✭✭✭endainoz

No :)

Ffs, any bit of sympathy/understanding I had for the farmer is gone now. He could at least have sorted the fence out to make an effort so it doesn't happen again.

I know loads of rough people and plenty of thugs, and none would get involved in anything like that, over an insurance claim. :rolleyes:

These people will get violent, but only when it's needed and not when the person is above board and can go to the law. They don't try to bring a load of attention to themselves.

I've had offers off people to sort it other ways but i'm not like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,338 ✭✭✭bladespin

Jb1989 wrote: »

I'd love to know, especially after making a documented threat, that'd be just special really.

The heavy brigade days are long gone, especially in an age of mobile recording etc etc. you just can't throw your weight around like the old days. lol

endainoz wrote: »
    Ffs, any bit of sympathy/understanding I had for the farmer is gone now. He could at least have sorted the fence out to make an effort so it doesn't happen again.

White sticks and tape. 12 sheep in it now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,806 ✭✭✭Odelay

White sticks and tape. 12 sheep in it now

Looks like the sheep will soon be in to trim the grass for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nutjobb

Well done for persevering.

Now when/where do these auctions take place?

Odelay wrote: »
    Looks like the sheep will soon be in to trim the grass for you.

Will that not keep them out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I've had offers off people to sort it other ways but i'm not like that

Don't stoop to their level. Had the same problem here with a more serious incident, it wasn't about the money in my eyes. It was about standing my ground and doing what was right. The compensation was only small but like yourself i wasn't letting it go. This fella owed money to everyone but I wasn't going to be one of them. I hope you get what your owed.

We did this on our side

pic 3 cattle.jpg

The guards went and had a word with him.

Jb1989 wrote: »

No, just threathened him. Some nasty individuals out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

We did this on our side

pic 3 cattle.jpg

That fence will keep out the sheep and in combination with the hedge it should be fool proof against cattle.

Is there a drainage ditch (also known as a sheugh in some parts of the country) between the fence and the hedge? It's hard to see from the picture.

If there is a drain there then I'm pretty sure that the law is that he owns the hedge. He may be just a miser who doesn't like to part with his money but if he is a real troublemaker then he could cut down the hedge completely if he sees the fence or your side and take away from the privacy of your garden, exposing you more to farming sights and smells. If there is a drainage ditch on the other side of the hedge (his side) then the hedge belongs to you and he wouldn't be entitled to cut it down. If there is no ditch then I am not sure who owns the hedge.

Rather than falling out with him completely it might be worthwhile to come to some little arrangement once he has paid over the money. For instance you might allow him to cut the high grass in the garden in Spring and roll it for a small refund etc. But only give over the refund after he does a proper job. In that case some honour is saved on all sides and might prevent any future retaliation if he is a bad egg.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement