Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue Pocket

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I read that v2.0 is going to have the different display modes running in the FPGA cores, so am holding off updating until that is released. (meant to be before the end of the year)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Is anyone using a grip with theirs? I have big hands. I'm looking for an affordable option that ships from within the EU. PWRUP Grip is 80 quid with taxes and delivery costs. It's not worth it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Happy Xmas from analogue. Firmware 2.0 released.

Of course they release it while I'm on my parents so can't update but sure I'll keep playing links awakening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Little disappointed with the 2.0 update. The display mode and filter thing just adds a CRT filter to some games. Now it's a pretty good crt filter if a little too dark but it's not what I'm after. You still cant select the screen filters for the GB and GBC cores. This might be done to the cores which haven't been updated in quite a while.

Also a little worried about the NGPC core and cartridge adapters. Jotega seems to be having a hard time to get NGPC working as it's a very weird hardware set up and the system hasn't been adequately emulated outside of the recent ngp snk collections. However it's not jotega that's working on analogues core so maybe they are having more success.

Master of the Universe

Jotego is a perfectionist when it comes to his cores but I wonder if Analogue might just try to emulate their way out of the problem instead.

After dropping the cash on the adapters I just want them and some means of using them at this stage with my NGP carts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

From yesterday...

https://x.com/topapate/status/1739648809012015492?s=20

"The new NeoGeo Pocket CPU passes the old test suite. 219 tests trying to cover the whole instruction set. While reviewing these tests again, 5 bugs in the old CPU got unveiled. These are all fixed in the new version"

Master of the Universe

So I downloaded 2.0 today and it's as you said, just the trinitron filter.

However, if you run the actual updater too, it'll unlock all filters across all FPGA cores.

Can nab it here, just about to give it a go

Edit - yep that worked, run the updater file and selection option 7, to enable all filters.

Thanks for that. I'll give it a go, I'm away for a while but can try it after new years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Updated to 2.0 but filters feel a little pointless unless you have a dock.

Is there any interest in a group buy to mitigate the shipping if nothing else?

Master of the Universe

The Trinitron filter is a bit pointless undocked but did you unlock all the handheld filters through the updater too? The Gameboy colour, GBA and Gamegear ones are worth a look.

Definitely interested in a group order if folks want to get in on one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Yeah, found an option to do it using Pocket Updater.

Some of them crashed the Neo Geo core!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Registered Users Posts: 14,659 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

TBH.....its pretty flaky, so probably better off waiting for individual core developers to implement it themselves. The universal patching seems to be little more than the json edits that some were trying out after 2.0 was released, but it clearly causes issues with some cores. PC Engine and Amiga loves to freeze when cycling through the filters as well

I can't get any PC engine cd games to work, the Json conversion is broken on what ever updater unused a d it also managed to convert all the arcade ROMs to Json as well.

That only recent Retr0 ?

Don't recall having an issue other than the limitations already put in place for the PCE CD stuff - limited to 27 (?) bin multitracks, having to use a merge for titles beyond that etc

I don't carry more than a few PCE CDs on the Pocket TBH......might only have Rondo, Prince of Persia, R-Type etc on it at the moment but don't remember having many issues (other than R-Type's Bins needed cleaning up). Possibly something went wrong with an updater alright if its only a recent thing.

I follow a fairly strict way of maintaining the Pocket, and don't tend to deviate from it using a combination of the Retrodriven Updater and Pocket Sync (though tend to only use that for the image pack selections). Took a long time to download all the assets (including the alternatives) through one of them in the past, but I then keep a mirror of the Assets folder for whenever I want to start afresh, so to speak. Very handy for all the CPS stuff so that I'm not locked into hours of updating if on a new card. Retrodriven generates the PCE JSONs as well - as long as the game's folder follows structures like the above. Can just do a reinstall on a fresh SD, unchecking the download ROMS/BIOS option - then copy over the Assets from the backup before running the updater again with the option enabled to pick up any new assets etc

Not sure what you mean by it converting all the arcade roms to JSONs, as you should still have the roms in COMMON folder of all the platforms in ASSETS, with the JSONs residing in the individual core's folders in any case ?

Master of the Universe

Do you guys bother much with the arcade cores on your pockets?

I think the Pocket is absolutely amazing for handheld cores but the screen is too small for arcade stuff. Combined with having to use a D pad to play them I find them more of a novelty than anything else.

Probably depends on the individual titles, plus of course there is the option of using the Dock output. Granted there's many ways of playing said titles, but there's something so cool about everything you need all sitting on the one handheld device - plus I'd never finished the Robocop arcade until I played through it on the handheld screen😂.

I certainly don't be trying to pull of SF2 moves on the D-Pad, at least not with any success, but the classic 80s stuff I find more than acceptable on the small screen, but probably the classic 8-bit and 16-bit handheld/console platforms get the majority of my Pocket time.

Recent thing. I'd say the updater I'm using is t the best. First time I used it it tried to download every rom for every core even then I specifically selected that it didn't.

NeoGeo Pocket Beta Core

20 minutes ago

Just in time for reyes,  the first beta core for NeoGeo Pocket is available for MiSTer and  Analogue Pocket in the usual locations. Sadly, this core does not fit in  smaller FPGAs, like SiDi or MiST because of internal RAM size  requirements.

Some notes:

Only the monochrome color is supported in this release. Do not use the color BIOS

Game compatibility is listed here

Some games save data to the cartridge. Not yet supported. Games may  hang for 2-3 minutes when they try to save data. Do not select save options in menus

NGP configuration (date and language) is not saved. You need to go through it at least once per session

Inserting and swapping cartridges requires to virtually power off and on the NGP (not the FPGA system)

Some peripherals of the Toshiba MCU are still not implemented. This could potentially impact games

The CPU is not cycle accurate for this release. This could potentially impact games

Early beta released for anyone wanting a dabble

2.1 Firmware

https://www.analogue.co/support/pocket/firmware/2.1

OS

Minor UI fixes

openFPGA

Added "Stretch CRT Width" size option

Fixed CRT Trinitron settings not saving

Fixed crash on some cores when entering Display Mode menu

Fixed Display Mode bug where grayscale modes caused bad core communication

Developer

Added global hotkey to enable (Analogue + X) and disable (Analogue + Y) USB SD Access at any time

Fixed Builds list to remember the last core started through it

APF

Added Target command support for files larger than 4GB: [0181 Data slot read (48bit)] and [0185 Data slot write (48bit)]

Updated Host command [0082 Data slot request write] to support 48-bit file sizes

Updated Host command [008A Data slot update] to support 48-bit file sizes

Updated data slot BRAM writes to support 48-bit file sizes

Fixed data slot read/write commands when length is 0xFFFFFFFF

Dock

Fixed pairing with 8BitDo N30

• Advertisement

Master of the Universe

Finally! Time to dust off the oul NGP carts. Only been sitting there waiting to play properly since 2010.

Adapters prepping for shipping

Got my email as well.

Need to change my address before I get an angry call from the parents about import charges!

Master of the Universe

Got mine too. That's rather exciting.

Time to get the oul Revenue lube ready.

They got back to me within 4 hours there confirming the change of address.

My adapters just shipping.

Time to lub up for customs.

When they said they'd ship at the end of the month they real meant the end of the month!

Master of the Universe

Yeah I was very surprised to get that shipped notification too!

Wonder will you need a firmware update or is it all just plug and play with the current version once the adapters arrive?

I suspect it'll involve an update or two, as even if the new cores are implemented via OpenFPGA, they'd hopefully aim to integrate it like they do with the Game Gear core, as in tied to the system options etc. Hopefully, anyway. Make it feel like a complete system. Certainly they've mentioned how they want the adapters to be supported by OpenFPGA so perhaps that may mean supporting the likes of Jotego's NGP and the existing PCE core via original cartridges

Been messing a little with Vectrex core of late. Overlay support etc Alright, but a little dinky with some titles on that screen.

• Advertisement

Speak of the devil

2.2 out

OS

• Added support for Analogue Pocket Adapter Set including TG16, PCE, SuperGrafx, Lynx, NGP and NGPC
    • Memories and Sleep/Wake are supported for TG16, PCE, SuperGrafx and Lynx
    • Boot to Cartridge now skips Game Detail screen

APF

• Fixed data slot loads with asset sizes not divisible by 4

Dock

• Fixed controllers occasionally not responding when using the Down+Select hotkey
    • Adjusted display video alignment symmetry

Edit - Aye....done the update there and sure enough, the new systems are included in the main options - display modes (Analogue and Original modes for NGPC, PCE has inherited the modes from the Duo - TurboExpress, LT, Trinitron etc), region etc

Just need the bloody adapters now - hopefully Monday

Somewhat unrelated, the Duo Jailbreak that came out past week works pretty well from the little I tried.

Post edited by McDermotX on

Advertisement