Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analogue Pocket

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

And now I don't know if I should even open it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭Inviere

Open it and enjoy it. Or sell it to o1s1n and recoup the costs. If you go with option B, you could stick a preorder if for the next batch of Analogue Pockets? Just an idea....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Open and fall in love with it.

It's a thing of beauty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Feck you all, and thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Or keep it sealed - sure its 'Limited Edition', will only go up in price 🤠

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Get it graded.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How are you finding it cidey?

Been able to drag yourself away from donkey Kong 94 yet?

I'm moving it on to a soon to be happy regular, and I bought one of those RGB30 devices instead.

I got it from AliExpress, €90 and it should be here in a week from their Spanish warehouse

Don't judge me, though I can feel your judgement and judgy-ness from here!

Laggy LCD trash. The analogue isnt emulation 🧐

Ah, if you listen carefully you can just about hear... yes... there it is... can you hear...

It's a voice saying... I can't quite make it out...

Something like...

"Retr0 and Analogue can go suck a bag of ducks"

Something like that, it was very faint so I may have transcribed an error or two there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Quiet you before he decides to keep it again!!😂

This is S-tier Cidey-Cycle, it'll never be topped. @o1s1n, as I said above, you're buying a piece of history 😂

Cidey - the RGB30 thingy will be fine. You'll never, ever use it beyond the first five mins, but the same was going to be said of the Pocket too lets be honest! At least this time, you're only buying a mildly expensive display piece...

Well, I have a succession of doodads that emulate and whatnot, including a Powkiddy q30, the Steam Deck, and lots of others.

In fairness, the Playdate has lasted a long time, and I fiddle with my Casio watch more than I play that!

Truthfully I can hardly poke fun... for me now it seems collecting is the game itself. Actually playing stuff? Some day, soon... 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 14,749 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

1. Duo is shipping Dec 11th and will arrive before Christmas. Emails will be sent out for any address changes.

2. Analogue Pocket will be restocked on Dec 4th, 8am PST and will be delivered before Christmas. An additional Analogue Pocket restock will go live on Dec 8th, 8am PST and will be shipping in Feb 2024.

3. An Analogue Pocket Dock - Limited Edition - in White will be released on Dec 4th and delivered before Christmas.

4. All in-stock orders placed before Dec 11th will be delivered before Christmas.

5. Analogue Pocket OS v1.2 will be released in early December. OS v1.2 fixes many important bugs, adds new controller support, updates Nanoloop, and adds openFPGA Developer features. OS v2.0 will be released before Christmas featuring Original Display Mode support for openFPGA and a new CRT Trinitron Original Display Mode.

6. Analogue Pocket Adapter Sets are delayed and will be released late February. Please see the full announcement here for full details

Adapters delayed until late February anyway, but sounds like they're aiming for a Xmas release of OS 2.0 which will hopefully add display mode support for OpenFPGA cores plus that CRT display mode. More Pockets to ship and pre-order on the way.

Will be nice to get original GB overlay working on openfpga.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Robert Nairac

I am going to try and get one on Monday after foolishly passing on one last time out. I keep going back and forth on which colour to go for. I'm thinking silver at this point.

Might be worth keeping tabs on the Analogue twitter or X or whatever to see if they hint at which colours they'll be putting up Monday or on the 8th.

Looks to be back to the classic black and white for the initial Monday release anyway judging from their store page (and then of course, there's the new white Dock that they'll want to ship to existing and new customers), not to mention there's a lot of feedback that people want the primary colours back anyway. Maybe they'll have limited ones for pre-order on the 8th ? Who knows.

Got a shipment preparation mail for the Duo a little earlier, so hopefully that'll get out the door as per their comms in time for Christmas, so happy with that. Adapter delay is annoying but not the end of the world. Getting the firmware in place for the display support for the cores would be excellent though.

Master of the Universe

Spent the day today playing about with this, quite the device! The screen is as lovely as everyone's been saying.

Only down side I can see so far is there being no guard to stop you knocking GB carts when they're in. I was playing Oracle of Seasons earlier and accidentally knocked the cart while putting it into sleep mode, freezing the game.

Not a major issue really though as I'll be using it mainly to play games from the SD.

Worth saying again how nice the screen is, never seen these games look so good.

The usually Analogue wankery can be seen throughout!

Yes, you are right. I managed to order a black one. I am happy with that. 😎

Any suggestions on cases or screen protectors? I didn't add the Analogue ones.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

I believe standard 3DS XL cases fit them quite well. Was thinking about using an original Gameboy DMG case I have in the attic for my one.

Not arsed with screen protectors at all tbh, haven't used them on handhelds in years and years and I have yet to see any damaged screens...

Managed to nab a set of pocket adapters myself. 99 dollars for three adapters, 60 dollars postage, going to be hit with import duties - they are some god damn expensive adapters.

Kinda between a rock and a hard place though as one of the main reasons I bought the thing was to play my NGP carts.

Fair play. FWIW, I still think the classic black is the best looking one as I've not been overly impressed by the transparent and limited ones, apart from perhaps the silver and indigo coloured ones. But it's all subjective. Same great machine whatever the flavour.

There are a few screen protectors other than Analogue's own ones. AmFilm make ones for a start on Amazon, but TBH, I've never bothered putting one on, but they were always on the ball with Switch versions so are probably half decent. Remember getting Analogue's own screen protectors way back when but feck knows where they are. Up in the attic somewhere no doubt. As o1s1n says, there's probably a ton of third-party cases out there that'd do the job, but despite it's handheld nature, I don't think I've ever had the Pocket out of the house so I'm comfortable with Analogue's own hard case. Protects and looks the part, which is all I really want from these things, but I'm sure it's next to useless having out and about. I recall some people using a Tomtoc Apple Watch case of all things before :)

It's a shocker. It really is. They desperately needs some form of EU distribution.

Well......they don't, but anyone over this side of the water certainly does.

I got the analogue screen protector and wouldn't recommend it. It's coming away from the screen already.

Master of the Universe

I actually wanted to buy the Gamegear adapter and the case too, but you couldn't put them in the same order as the cartridge adapters are on pre order.

So it would have meant another 60 dollars shipping and import duties. Couldn't justify it at all, I'll have to stick to playing my Gamegear games on a Gamegear!

That's disappointing to hear.

I'd just take the protector off and enjoy it as is if I were you. If you drop it a protector isn't going to do very much as the screen is protruding from the console so will take the full impact. Only thing the protector is going to do is protect it from scratches and somehow I can't see you flinging it in your back pocket while you skateboard around town so I doubt that would be an issue either. Keep it in a nice case and it'll be grand.

Aye.....the inability to have combined orders is easily top three in the 'most annoying reasons Analogue exist' list. The amount of people who complained in the past about missing out on orders because they were trying to checkout with an unavailable item is ridiculous.

It's a system very much geared towards a lengthy pre-order for a product launch where you can put in for all the little extras along with the device a year in advance to get them all at once under one shipment, and almost completely incompatible with international customers looking to buy a single accessory. Think I'd had a few when I put in an order for the adapters with that shipping.....just checking there.....last October. :) Original Pocket order was....WOW....August 2020.

You might not be able to play the carts but you can still play the ROMs on open FPGA. It's been a real eye opener to how good the game gear and master system library are.

OS 1.2 out and about

Won't have a chance to try it out till the weekend but a good few fixes in there plus more controller support

OS

• Fixed sleep/wake problems on some Pockets
    • Fixed Save States (Memories) on some Pockets
    • Fixed Save States not showing in listing for Pokemon Yellow and some other games
    • Added “Docked Display” in Tools>Developer that enables Pocket display, buttons, and speakers while Docked
    • Minor UI fixes

Nanoloop

• Fixed file transfer issue

openFPGA

• Framework version updated to 1.2
    • Cartridge adapter support including upcoming Analogue cartridge adapters
    • Cartridge audio support
    • Cores that share platforms now can share Assets
    • Cores can now easily know if Pocket is Docked

APF

Dock

• Added support for 8BitDo NeoGeo controller
    • Added support for 8BitDo Micro controller
    • Added support for PCE/Turbo Mini USB controller
    • Fixed PS5 controller pairing
    • Fixed Xbox One and Stadia 2nd controller issue
    • Fixed USB mouse and keyboard issues
    • Fixed 480p refresh rate accuracy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

The issues with Sleep/Wake mentioned in the OS section are resolved for my Pocket now. It was very flakey before. Rock solid now.

Note: I had to delete the 1.1 update from my SD card before it would do anything about the 1.2 file.

Pocket was supposed to be here today but got delayed. Delivery by UPS. 80 quid in fees and taxes. Wondering if anyone knows if you can receive the item and pay the fees later or are they pretty strict and won't release it without immediate payment?

• Advertisement

Updated the firmware on the pocket. Still doesn't support display modes on FPGA cores so i still need to use the everdrive for Gameboy games to make them look right. Thought that would be fixed.

Also messed around with it a bit. Used an auto updater that tried to download everything including ROMs to it no matter what settings I used which was a pain.

I set up a wonderswan and pce engine and PC engine cd core. PC engine is fine but pce ce and wonderswan are a pain.

Both require a bios but the wonderswan bios can't be found anywhere. Eventually got an updated that worked and downloaded it and it's working great. Looks amazing on the OLED.

PC engine cd is a bit of a pain as you need to generate Json files for each game and they have to be in cue/bin format. My rom site of choice doesn't use cue/bin but I found a good torrent with the right format. It was late so haven't generated the Json files but a good updater apparently will update them for you.

Finally I got a game and watch core which also supports many other LCD games. Bit of a faff again to get it working, you need a game rom and an artwork rom and then use a generator to combine them but once you get it working they look great.

Advertisement