Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2020..... 1.5m Dairy calves.... discuss.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

wrangler wrote: »
    Another sad post, criticising IFA for not supporting the most destructive move on farmers ever, Are farmers so useless that they begrudge the success of the IFJ. IFJ surely have the high moral ground now in that they are not destroying the environment, You as a dairy farmer should be aware just how vulnerable farmers are now when you start throwing ****e around against other industries, excuse the pun. the joke will be on you in the next calving season
    It was obvious from the start that protest was a waste of time, Most farmers I know weren't bothered supporting, one farmer I know blocked farmers in kilbeggan while his own were going into Moyvalley, why would any one be involved with that.
    People are entitled to take part in peaceful protest without whingeing from you going on, at least IFA didn't destroy the year for thousands of farmers.
    Again sad !!!!!!

You're a gas ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,059 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You're a gas ticket.

It's hard to understand why a sector would whinge and launch personal attacks on people in an industry that it's not compulsory to supplly, an organisation that it's not compulsory to join, or weekly paper that it's not compulsory to buy.
    Especially as that same sector now is now being revealed as being not environmentally friendly........ People in glass houses etc.
    If IFA is financed, then those financing it are entitled to steer it whatever way they like, it's none of anyone elses business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

It's hard to understand why a sector would whinge and launch personal attacks on people in an industry that it's not compulsory to supplly, an organisation that it's not compulsory to join, or weekly paper that it's not compulsory to buy.
    Especially as that same sector now is now being revealed as being not environmentally friendly........ People in glass houses etc.
    If IFA is financed, then those financing it are entitled to steer it whatever way they like, it's none of anyone elses business.

Get your head out of the sand kid. We live in a time, driven by a media led dictatorship that dresses up as a democracy. Whatever appears in print or on a screen is the truth sure. The small guy will be the fall guy and in this case, it is the farmers. IFA, IFJ and this government are playing a fine tune to its own agenda. The IFA are steering in the direction of the elite and powerful as it feathers its own nest (as you agreed with above). Yet you stand up for that as the small guy tries to get free of to the boot lodged to his throat. If Joe Healy took a lump of cow ****e and placed it between 2 burger buns you'd eat it and swear blind it was a beef burger.

Get your head out of the sand kid. We live in a time, driven by a media led dictatorship that dresses up as a democracy. Whatever appears in print or on a screen is the truth sure. The small guy will be the fall guy and in this case, it is the farmers. IFA, IFJ and this government are playing a fine tune to its own agenda. The IFA are steering in the direction of the elite and powerful as it feathers its own nest (as you agreed with above). Yet you stand up for that as the small guy tries to get free of to the boot lodged to his throat. If Joe Healy took a lump of cow ****e and placed it between 2 burger buns you'd eat it and swear blind it was a beef burger.

Are you in the real world, do you expect those that pay membership and then have no say. Someone told me lately they were getting €80/ suckler cow this year, average suckler herd is less than twenty, delivery again there for small farmers, There's farmers that have large entitlements but don't have large payments,, IFA protected those in the last Cap and it's part of the policy this time too, but there's some saddos spinning that to supporting larger farmers.,
    I don't know why anyone would put any effort into representing farmers now,
    Your last sad sentence is typical of the beef plan ****e rubbish. I can't believe that after the mess that the beef markets in, you think you're in a position to criticise anyone now, you should hang your head in shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

All I’ll add is that the ifa is a seriously broken organization and has lost the support and faith in it by the farmer on the ground only chink of light I see in any of the candidates is Tim cullinane ,he stands with all farmers ,I’ve seen first hand in north tipp the lengths he goes to support and back farmers ,not afraid to break rank within the organization ,he stood at the gates and publicly showed support for beef farmers recently ,only heard muttering from others personally I’ve lost lot of faith in the organization I’ve cancelled my levies from milk ,mart and factory .i don’t know Tim personally but he’s my local candidate and I’ve seen the lengths he will go to ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

K.G. wrote: »
    Quick question, what age do the calves arrive at her place

Average of 23.8 days.

She took a loan of a tractor and trailer this morning so I asked...:)

She’ll be pushing that out to 30+ days next batch.

If she got 200 calves at 21days, she might get another batch 10days later, but she’d buy them at 31days so that the batch would be the same age, iykwim.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    All I’ll add is that the ifa is a seriously broken organization and has lost the support and faith in it by the farmer on the ground only chink of light I see in any of the candidates is Tim cullinane ,he stands with all farmers ,I’ve seen first hand in north tipp the lengths he goes to support and back farmers ,not afraid to break rank within the organization ,he stood at the gates and publicly showed support for beef farmers recently ,only heard muttering from others personally I’ve lost lot of faith in the organization I’ve cancelled my levies from milk ,mart and factory .i don’t know Tim personally but he’s my local candidate and I’ve seen the lengths he will go to ,

Did you not see the protest would do what it eventually did, it didn't take a genius to see it.
    Where did you see a price rise coming from, let who ever wants to support IFA do it, it is broken for sure and if everyone follows your example it won't survive on just membership fees.
    Thankfully like Climate Change it won't worry me if it happens

Tim supported the protest for cheap votes, can't believe you didn't see that.
    Unfortunately it'll probably win it for him

Did you not see the protest would do what it eventually did, it didn't take a genius to see it.
    Where did you see a price rise coming from, let who ever wants to support IFA do it, it is broken for sure and if everyone follows your example it won't survive on just membership fees.
    Thankfully like Climate Change it won't worry me if it happens

Tim supported the protest for cheap votes, can't believe you didn't see that.
    Unfortunately it'll probably win it for him

If it won’t survive on membership fees then disband it ,u can’t have an organization supporting farmers that’s colkects levies from the cartels that we sell to ,clear conflict of interest I won’t be paying levies and at next renewal may not even renew if it stays way it is ,your way off the mark if u think he supported the protest for cheap votes ,u clearly know very little about him or the lengths to which he went to to support farmers in my area over last few years ,it’s the one reason why I’ll be only voting for him ,not a yes man

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Average of 23.8 days.

She took a loan of a tractor and trailer this morning so I asked...:)

She’ll be pushing that out to 30+ days next batch.

If she got 200 calves at 21days, she might get another batch 10days later, but she’d buy them at 31days so that the batch would be the same age, iykwim.
    Wow.thats the person we need to talk to about the calf situation.shes handling 400 young calves at a time so.its that kind a labour efficiency we need to be talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Wow.thats the person we need to talk to about the calf situation.shes handling 400 young calves at a time so.its that kind a labour efficiency we need to be talking about

YES!

As I’ve posted before, Teagasc need to send their brightest abroad to educate them. Anywhere but NZ.

• Advertisement

If it won’t survive on membership fees then disband it ,u can’t have an organization supporting farmers that’s colkects levies from the cartels that we sell to ,clear conflict of interest I won’t be paying levies and at next renewal may not even renew if it stays way it is ,your way off the mark if u think he supported the protest for cheap votes ,u clearly know very little about him or the lengths to which he went to to support farmers in my area over last few years ,it’s the one reason why I’ll be only voting for him ,not a yes man

That'll be a decision made by National Executive, As I say president has little influence.......... What's the point in reps going to meetings at Farm Centre to decide policy if they have to do the bidding of one man/woman.

That'll be a decision made by National Executive, As I say president has little influence.......... What's the point in reps going to meetings at Farm Centre to decide policy if they have to do the bidding of one man/woman.

The organization as is is now far removed from tge ordinary farmer on the ground hence the disillusionement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The organization as is is now far removed from tge ordinary farmer on the ground hence the disillusionement

That’s the easy funding comin from factories, creameries and marts.

Why worry about farmer opinion when the easy money will come rolling in no matter what.

YES!

As I’ve posted before, Teagasc need to send their brightest abroad to educate them. Anywhere but NZ.

Shhhhh now we’re not aloud criticize or find faults in that system .....

If the farmers don't go to meetings they won't have control, In theory there should be a cross section of farmers in their commodity commitee, Farmer apathy will destroy every farm organisation.
    Farmers have taking standing back and leaving the work to others to a new level. They've removed themselves from every organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

YES!

Dawg what price is cmr per ton. I remember you posting figures last year and I think there was a €250-€300 per ton difference in the price that we pay here and the one you quoted had a higher skim percentage.
    At a recent IFA meeting that I attended a guy from ICBF said that veal will not work in Ireland due to erratic supply, ie a glut for 2 to 3 months and the cost of inputs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Base price wrote: »
    Dawg what price is cmr per ton. I remember you posting figures last year and I think there was a €250-€300 per ton difference in the price that we pay here and the one you quoted had a higher skim percentage.
    At a recent IFA meeting that I attended a guy from ICBF said that veal will not work in Ireland due to erratic supply, ie a glut for 2 to 3 months and the cost of inputs.

But its not about veal production in Ireland, its about calf rearing to 10 to 12 weeks.thats the biggest problem at the moment is the fact that you have a whole generation that dont know how to rear a decent number of calves due to the fact that alot of lads have now grown up with suckers.we need people with that skill set like that guy in nz or dawgs lady

If the farmers don't go to meetings they won't have control, In theory there should be a cross section of farmers in their commodity commitee, Farmer apathy will destroy every farm organisation.
    Farmers have taking standing back and leaving the work to others to a new level. They've removed themselves from every organisation.

They’ve stood back ,stopped going to meetings because they see nothing been done nobresukts been achieved ,factories ,coops etc getting stronger and wether u want to believe it or not farm organizations are in aforementioned organizations pockets ,in the youngest in our local branch by a distance and im 40
    This is why likes of beef plan have been formed and farmers took it upon themselves to protest and picket ,yes mistakes have been made but results have been got too and they will learn from mistakes

They’ve stood back ,stopped going to meetings because they see nothing been done nobresukts been achieved ,factories ,coops etc getting stronger and wether u want to believe it or not farm organizations are in aforementioned organizations pockets ,in the youngest in our local branch by a distance and im 40
    This is why likes of beef plan have been formed and farmers took it upon themselves to protest and picket ,yes mistakes have been made but results have been got too and they will learn from mistakes

There's no results got, they just got processors backs up which they'll pay for.
    As I said leaving it to others to do the work, Beef Plan will be no different.
    They've already proved that protesting was stupid which Ifa warned long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭einn32

But its not about veal production in Ireland, its about calf rearing to 10 to 12 weeks.thats the biggest problem at the moment is the fact that you have a whole generation that dont know how to rear a decent number of calves due to the fact that alot of lads have now grown up with suckers.we need people with that skill set like that guy in nz or dawgs lady

Impossible to get a good calf manager these days. Every person I've worked with on farms absolutely hated them except for two women who loved it. Good calves need a lot of time and patience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I don't know about that, j. To me, all that happened was a lick of paint over the grid and being sold as a brand new grid?

The timing was Gawd awful, though, timing it just as the bulk of the over 30 month animals starting to be killed. We'll be left with the aftereffects of that for a good while to come.

I don't know about that, j. To me, all that happened was a lick of paint over the grid and being sold as a brand new grid?

The timing was Gawd awful, though, timing it just as the bulk of the over 30 month animals starting to be killed. We'll be left with the aftereffects of that for a good while to come.

Agree on both accounts ,no skin in the beef finishing game but something had to be done and lessons will be learned

Agree on both accounts ,no skin in the beef finishing game but something had to be done and lessons will be learned

''Something had to be done'' is no motive for doing something stupid.
    I hope they've learnt a lesson but I don't think they have, physically kicking factory personnel and then wondering why no one is interested in arranging another meeting.
    You couldn't make it up
    They were very fortunate that Brexit didn't happen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Euthanize at birth. More humane than shipping young calves off on ferry.

Why should ireland be the country to lead the way over disposable of dairy calves ?

It’s not as if were getting looked after in beef prices !

Were just muppets for them all . Euthanised them, make them scarce to protect anything with bit of potential !

Also why should the friesian farmer rare calves to protect the farmers/Teagasc that went down the cross bred route ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

YES!

Really could u educate guys about farming that work 9 to 5 , and weekends off !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

Base price wrote: »

A good skim powder was costing about 1900 last Soring. Going to price now for next spring as I'd be pretty sure with the rise in the price of skim that prices will take a bit of a hike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

There's no results got, they just got processors backs up which they'll pay for.
    As I said leaving it to others to do the work, Beef Plan will be no different.
    They've already proved that protesting was stupid which Ifa warned long ago.
    If you call a backlog of a reported 100,000 cattle a result, well then one was got. The backlog continues impossible to get away over 30 month. I wonder are the protestors doing anything about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,157 ✭✭✭✭Base price

alps wrote: »
    A good skim powder was costing about 1900 last Soring. Going to price now for next spring as I'd be pretty sure with the rise in the price of skim that prices will take a bit of a hike.
    Was onto our supplier on Tuesday, waiting for him to get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

''Something had to be done'' is no motive for doing something stupid.
    I hope they've learnt a lesson but I don't think they have, physically kicking factory personnel and then wondering why no one is interested in arranging another meeting.
    You couldn't make it up
    They were very fortunate that Brexit didn't happen

Brexit - Another 'achievement' the IFA helped negotiate no doubt.

Wrangler you are some man/woman in fairness to you. Where do you get the time? Part of me says you are employed by a large association to fight down posts but I really know that this isn't true - you are the epitome of efficiency that Teagasc have preached and you have the animals doing all the work on the farm allowing you the time to post here.

• Advertisement

Brexit - Another 'achievement' the IFA helped negotiate no doubt.

Wrangler you are some man/woman in fairness to you. Where do you get the time? Part of me says you are employed by a large association to fight down posts but I really know that this isn't true - you are the epitome of efficiency that Teagasc have preached and you have the animals doing all the work on the farm allowing you the time to post here.

I'm retired for the last two years with most of the land leased, OH is farming the last ten acres here at the moment,I'm not really able to work now

Advertisement