Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racist Abuse?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

do you have trouble reading ?
    I already stated I was working with them and in the pub.

Why would I make this up, what benefit is there for me to lie ?

Go on, tell me honestly that after the last two posts you are not reading them and thinking stuff you won't type or that frankly you don't care about what i think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I am not saying some brits dont get grief, but in my social circle it was never a problem, certainly not in this year, unlike say the 80's.

Its the romanians I see get the most negativity, and with my dealings with those its all warranted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Whereas the perception of Irish people in the UK baffles me sometimes. Apparently if you have an Irish accent you are dumb. And you are more likely to steal.[/QUOTE]

I found that so frustrating over there and the irony is the UK education system is dire. Its disgraceful really. My son was in school there until year 5 (3rd class here) when he started here he was so far behind. He is in 5th here now and still playing catch up.
    I had to produce my leaving cert results and uni transcripts for a job once and they accused me of forging the leaving cert results. If they do A levels the avg is 2

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

That old chestnut, the same story has been regaled about irish men in the UK like a million times.

Yep.

I was told a story once by an Irish woman who was a nurse. She said during the 70s most nurses working in London hospitals on night shifts were Irish much like immigrants from elsewhere now.

She said during the IRA bombing campaign all the hospitals had Irish nurses. And all the victims were cared for by Irish nurses. But she said all the British nurses refused to work with Irish nurses

In the 70s during the Birmingham bomb all the british nurses refused to work with the irish nurses for 4 days. Until the management said they were endangering patients.

Can you imagine if that had happened to muslim nurses or drs now?

Yep.

I was told a story once by an Irish woman who was a nurse. She said during the 70s most nurses working in London hospitals on night shifts were Irish much like immigrants from elsewhere now.

She said during the IRA bombing campaign all the hospitals had Irish nurses. And all the victims were cared for by Irish nurses. But she said all the British nurses refused to work with Irish nurses

In the 70s during the Birmingham bomb all the british nurses refused to work with the irish nurses for 4 days. Until the management said they were endangering patients.

thats a really bad example and one that only backs up my point.

Is that really the first thing that came to your mind when you read my post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,095 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Oh he is someone with a problem then.

Interestingly i find Irish people tend to exalt the British particularly the eton educated tribe. We credit them subconsciously with a lot more than they warrant with their lack of intelligence and behavior sometimes.

Whereas the perception of Irish people in the UK baffles me sometimes. Apparently if you have an Irish accent you are dumb. And you are more likely to steal.

Completely depends on the UK people you're talking about. I lived in the town centre of a not great part of the UK while in uni, and worked with working/benefits class people. They had all the stereotype ideas of Irish people in lieu of actual knowledge. They made the same tired jokes that only scratch the surface of history (potato jokes but don't know where the association came from) made jokes but then asked which past of Ireland was which (British or not).

It's hard to build on the conceit when its so poor. And I can say I heard so many bad Irish jokes (but they were almost all meant in good faith) that almost none are original or remotely funny.

After uni I worked in a middle class public sector job and it was completely different. They actually learned your name instead of saying one of the English approximations. They tended to know the basics of Irish history and if thy had Irish ancestry, they actually knew the complexity of Anglo Irish relations.

I still don't think there are many really good Irish jokes. Jokes about nationality are OK, but they're so impersonal and so far from being interesting that they're usually the hallmark of a moron.

Yep.

Hard to imagine that happening now. It's a clear sign things have progressed for the better, right?

Whereas the perception of Irish people in the UK baffles me sometimes. Apparently if you have an Irish accent you are dumb. And you are more likely to steal.

I found that so frustrating over there and the irony is the UK education system is dire. Its disgraceful really. My son was in school there until year 5 (3rd class here) when he started here he was so far behind. He is in 5th here now and still playing catch up.
    I had to produce my leaving cert results and uni transcripts for a job once and they accused me of forging the leaving cert results. If they do A levels the avg is 2[/QUOTE]

I know. I know someone who tried UNI in the UK but was dismayed to find out that everything they were doing in first year she had done in 5th year. Thankfully a place opened up here.

I also have two friends who taught over in the UK. They lamented at the state of things and the poor expectations they have of students.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Oh he is someone with a problem then.

Interestingly i find Irish people tend to exalt the British particularly the eton educated tribe. We credit them subconsciously with a lot more than they warrant with their lack of intelligence and behavior sometimes.

I had to google "exalt" and this is what I got :

1 think or speak very highly of (someone or something).

2 raise to a higher rank or position.

What part of Ireland are you living in where Irish people think higher of British people, especially those with an Eton education? How do we credit them subconsciously? British English people are not thought to be superior in Ireland. And I've never met an Irish person who held an English person in awe, just because they went to Eton. Where do you pull this shyte from?

Hard to imagine that happening now. It's a clear sign things have progressed for the better, right?

Actually in a way no things are getting worse.

My godmother is actually the least sensitive person to offense ever and would be quite ..no nonsense to that sort of thing..yet she was telling my mother over the phone a few weeks ago there is a lot of anti Irish sentiment in the UK right now.

Its in the papers and on the radio and some of the tv stations.

The attitude of some people has changed and she has noticed it when dealing with british people who don't know her when they hear her they might say something.

She lives in an old victorian house and works in theater her husband works in production ...she was told recently she had 'sponged' all this off the govt and the attitude is she shouldn't have the right to stay or keep her job after brexit.

Some british people don't seem to get that her and her husband bought their own house paid their own mortgage etc and they have a right to their property and home and jobs.

She would not be a leftie liberal ...and anyone telling Irish jokes etc wouldn't bother her. She is my yard stick ..if SHE says there is anti Irish sentiment ..then there is.

• Advertisement

I had to produce my leaving cert results and uni transcripts for a job once and they accused me of forging the leaving cert results. If they do A levels the avg is 2

I know. I know someone who tried UNI in the UK but was dismayed to find out that everything they were doing in first year she had done in 5th year. Thankfully a place opened up here.

I also have two friends who taught over in the UK. They lamented at the state of things and the poor expectations they have of students.[/QUOTE]

Yes Yes, they are all quite clearly stupid and their university system is a global joke. Yes we all take this post seriously as it is so quite clearly true.

The reality is, when it comes to discussing the british it is the only time I can say I have been around people (and it happened a number of times) where they pretty much advocated genocide on a particular group without even blinking an eyelid.

My godmother is actually the least sensitive person to offense ever and would be quite ..no nonsense to that sort of thing..yet she was telling my mother over the phone a few weeks ago there is a lot of anti Irish sentiment in the UK right now.

Its in the papers and on the radio and some of the tv stations.

The attitude of some people has changed and she has noticed it when dealing with british people who don't know her when they hear her they might say something.

She lives in an old victorian house and works in theater her husband works in production ...she was told recently she had 'sponged' all this off the govt and the attitude is she shouldn't have the right to stay or keep her job after brexit.

Some british people don't seem to get that her and her husband bought their own house paid their own mortgage etc and they have a right to their property and home and jobs.

She would not be a leftie liberal ...and anyone telling Irish jokes etc wouldn't bother her. She is my yard stick ..if SHE says there is anti Irish sentiment ..then there is.

This is so typically Irish. We will instead of note any elephants in the room in our society will instead try and spin it and discuss only bad british on the irish again.

Right through history and through periods of the last century Britain has taken Irish people to work and build lives, this is noted by those here who acknowledge that so many british have Irish ancestry. Britain gave the Irish jobs when Ireland was effectively 3rd world poor and let them rise to become some of the most powerful and rich people in the country.

Ireland doesn't even give a window of a opportunity to anyone sounding like a brot here. The efforts to spin this is fruitless as if anyone has one ounce of sense and is honest then they will know the Irish/British racism thing so so massively top heavy on the Irish side towards the british.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Just spent a few months in the UK.
    No real issues apart from noting that over the year I could see more racist undertones coming up just in general conversation.
    Personally only 3 incidents stand out.
    1. Giant of a guy charged at me screaming he was going to kill me. Middle of the day in a town, never seen a half naked 30st man run as fast, I was almost frozen in fascination wondering if he was going to drop before reaching me.
    2. Snr exec on the client addressing me as “Paddy”...
    3. Work meal out, one of the clients starting replying to everything as I said with “potatooooo” in a thick fake Oirish accent when the married woman he was having an affair with tried to make him jealous, clearly that one worked...

Personally I just laughed them all off and put number two on my internal ignore list. As to number 3, a few days later in the office she was talking about going on a family holiday, first since the newborn, and I calmly turned to the prat and with my best Dougal face asked “sure you’re going too aren’t you?”

Taltos wrote: »
    Just spent a few months in the UK.
    No real issues apart from noting that over the year I could see more racist undertones coming up just in general conversation.
    Personally only 3 incidents stand out.
    1. Giant of a guy charged at me screaming he was going to kill me. Middle of the day in a town, never seen a half naked 30st man run as fast, I was almost frozen in fascination wondering if he was going to drop before reaching me.
    2. Snr exec on the client addressing me as “Paddy”...
    3. Work meal out, one of the clients starting replying to everything as I said with “potatooooo” in a thick fake Oirish accent when the married woman he was having an affair with tried to make him jealous, clearly that one worked...

Personally I just laughed them all off and put number two on my internal ignore list. As to number 3, a few days later in the office she was talking about going on a family holiday, first since the newborn, and I calmly turned to the prat and with my best Dougal face asked “sure you’re going too aren’t you?”

This are beyond tedious and trivial when compared to the daily abuse received by the average brit in ireland...but thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

This are beyond tedious and trivial when compared to the daily abuse received by the average brit in ireland...but thanks.

Nothing tedious or trivial about what they wrote - it was their personal experience - this is what Boards.ie is for.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

anewme wrote: »
    Am on a group holiday...only Irish person...something comes up about electric cars and I say about the plans for Ireland and 2030 bans.

One English person in the group pipes up with..”oh, are you not still all on donkeys?”

I told him I wasn’t putting up with this **** and left the table.

He mentioned the famine earlier at dinner too.

Tour leader taking it as a joke.

Racist abuse or not?
    Should have told him that the Queen was getting a little old for riding around on so we’ve moved on from donkeys. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Fritzbox

It's amazing Irish people are oblivious at just how rude the Irish are to the British who live here

Is that why there are several hundred thousand "British" people living in Ireland - the largest ethnic minority in the country?
    You need to substantiate your statements just a little bit more.

Its in the papers and on the radio and some of the tv stations. [...]

Maybe she was unlucky, but they're isn't a lot of anti Irish sentiment. The Express newspaper is a racist paper so Express readers will have an anti Irish opinion. It blamed all the trouble with brexit on the EU, Ireland and Leo. But they'll also have anti everything opinion (racist, xenophobic, the feminists, leftists etc.) But thats it. It's not in the radio unless there's a UKIP or EDL radio station ahat I don't know about. And anti Irish sentiment wouldn't go unchallenged on any TV shows.

And besides, there are [/]some[/b] Irish people with negative opinions of immigrants and assume they're draining e state in this country too (noel grealish was appealing to them recently)

But the notion that anti Irish sentiment is in any way worse that in the 70s when the British nurses wouldn't work with Irish nurses, is untrue.

I spend a lot of time in the UK and I can tell you it's easier being Irish than any other immigrant. In the North East, so many people have Irish ancestry that they tend to have a very positive attitude to Irish people.

Your aunt has a different experience to me. Maybe it's the area she lives or the people she meets, but I can say for certain that's it's not across the board in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

It must be the money that's keeping the UK nationals in Ireland, CSO figures say they are the highest paid nationality here.
    I was in college in Manchester in the early 90s when the IRA were bombing the place, I never got any grief over being Irish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

"Franz wrote:
    The guy should have been turfed out of the tour group.

!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Seriously though, it's not racist but that kind of 'banter' is designed to belittle, definitely. Just ignore the cnut or call him up on it directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,855 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

how is contempt for the criminal activities travellers are involved with Racism ?

Travellers are not a race either.

I despise all criminals, regardless of race, color, creed, etc

So you must despise white, Irish men.
    The vast majority of criminals in Ireland are white, Irish men. You must despise them all.

Seriously though, it's not racist but that kind of 'banter' is designed to belittle, definitely. Just ignore the cnut or call him up on it directly.

Sometimes it is. Sometimes it's the only things people know about Ireland and the Irish. Irish jokes are jokes for people who don't know enough about Ireland to come up with an interesting joke of their own. But it could be just designed to belittle. Some people's humour is nasty and all about belittling.

I spend a lot of time in the uk and I find Irish jokes to be pure jokes by numbers. If someone isn't funny, chances are they'll find Irish jokes funny because it's all they have. So in short, Irish jokes tend to be used by people who don't really get jokes or are uneducated or stupid. Not a great endorsement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Well it's easy to defeat the Brits now, just start talking about Brexit.

You should have said, "sure you lot will be using donkeys after Brexit" in a light hearted manner.

Fritzbox wrote: »
    Is that why there are several hundred thousand "British" people living in Ireland - the largest ethnic minority in the country?
    You need to substantiate your statements just a little bit more.

Those stats are based on those who were either born there or hold a UK passport. If you narrow it down to the ones who "have an accent" and are clearly british and their experiences then you will find most are subject to racism all the time.

We are very good a glossing over any criticism of ourselves and playing the victim elsewhere. We have this neediness to be liked everywhere. I have lost count of the amount of times Irish friends have gone out of their way to explain their history in a mixture of hand gestures and broken english to arabs in the middle east to win their approval by bashing the brits and over trying to make the point they are different.

I always looked at it as needy and desperate and must admit people go down a little bit in my estimation when I see such tragic appeasement

Rufeo wrote: »
    Well it's easy to defeat the Brits now, just start talking about Brexit.

You should have said, "sure you lot will be using donkeys after Brexit" in a light hearted manner.

That would just make you look sheepish, stupid and economically illiterate.

It must be the money that's keeping the UK nationals in Ireland, CSO figures say they are the highest paid nationality here.
    I was in college in Manchester in the early 90s when the IRA were bombing the place, I never got any grief over being Irish

UK companies paying the packages for them to be based here perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭anewme

It’s a pity it wasn’t now or I’d have got great wind up mileage out of Pizza Exoress Woking.

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »
    It’s a pity it wasn’t now or I’d have got great wind up mileage out of Pizza Exoress Woking.

I don't encourage that kind of banter. When people make Irish jokes, I smile and don't make a fuss, but I definitely don't reward them by giving big laughs. I generally move the conversation on pretty quickly and it tends to move things along. Nationality jokes are boring mostly.

When people make Irish jokes it tends to show their ignorance of Ireland. So I tend to try not to make the same mistake of showing up my own ignorance of other nationalities by making jokes that would be boring to anyone who knows about the country.

Advertisement