Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racist Abuse?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Yeah, implying someone having 1/6th of the intelligence of a fairly average person isn't insulting....

Well you failed with your implication really. You said all six English people combined have a 3-digit IQ. 990, for example, is still a 3 digit number. Would render them all average. That's all I was saying...........

• Registered Users Posts: 20,095 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Still you are comparing a region to a nation. An Englishman should know his history and geography. Which includes the island of Ireland.

Of course he did know about the famine, apparantly to mock it.

I think you're over estimating how much the average English person knows about their own country, history or regional culture.

But yes he knew about the famine. The less an English person knows about Ireland, the more likely the famine is to be the main thing they know about Ireland.

The famine led to massive Irish immigration to England. It had a far bigger impact IN England than the Irish we of independence. Everyone on England knows about the famine - they know fcuk all about how it happened or what it meant to Ireland. As Alan Partridge said "if it was just the potatoes effected. At the end of the day, you will pay the price if you're a fussy eater".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

The sooner people realise that racism (also) applies to ethnic superiority the better. Certainly it did in the past.

I mean race doesn’t exist. Ethnic groups do.

Are you one of them that says race equals all humans?
    If so don’t reply. I have no time for people living in a fantasy world!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

You compared a country to a region there, hoping we wouldn’t notice.

Yeah, what the hell like?

parc wrote: »
    He's just a wanker.

Probably an ex-army guy

You only hear this type of stuff from working class essex people or ex-army guys over 55.

Yeah, he does sound like a wanker.

I hate those type of guys that just use insults and generalise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

'E's only a fackin' fackin' cant, innit:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mobileforest

anewme wrote: »
    That you need to be careful about telling Irish jokes in Newfoundland as there are a lot of Irish there, who tried to avoid the potatoe famine.

Also comments as to why there was a new enquiry on Bloody Sunday, it was a war casualty.

Naaa. Newfoundlanders are not famine Irish, their ancestors left Ireland in the 17th and 18th century. By the time of the famine occurred there were more economically viable places to emigrate to such as America and Canada (19th century Newfoundland was not a part of Canada). Also, they are more likely to identify as Newfoundlander than Irish or English thus a Newfie joke more likely to annoy them than an Irish joke (not because they are easily offended but because at least in my experience hearing a mainlander tell a Newfie joke is like hearing a joke you and your friends told each other since you were 5 poorly delivered by a grown man who can't tell a joke). Cant speak for the young ones now though. Being offended seems to be in vogue everywhere these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Reminded me to give a quick update.

Over the next 10 days, the guy got himself into a bit of trouble by insulting people. One of the group was getting some salad and he shouted across the table "that's enough, that has to do six other people". The person was clearly shocked but said nothing back.

The Tour Leader was told in another Restaurant not to return with visitors him again. He had ordered a load of food, then when it arrived, he denied that was what he ordered and told them to "take it away" and then when the waitress asked if he was finished, loudly said "I want dessert NOW!". The Tour Guide said the people were "fiery" and would not entertain this conduct and he quickly added "like the Irish" and laughed.

In another bar, there was a couple (black man and white woman) having a drink. The woman was English and was chatting to our group making conversation but the man was African. For some reason, he chose this exact time to start going on loudly about Africans and Ugandans (!) The black guy kept turning around and glaring at him clearly really annoyed and the Guide had to stop him or the black guy was going to come over and take him on.

He insulted quite a lot of people and I would say about half pulled him up on it. As the time went on, you could see him going into Restaurants, shops, Hotels etc and knowing he was likely to insult someone, waiting to see their reaction was funny.

The old sneering centuries of Punch-style racist supremacy over the Irish doesn't have the same potency it had in the glory days of Empire.

We are blessed that we've had people in our past to fight to break the power of those people over us. It takes a special type of superstar cúnt to attempt to legitimise and commemorate the thugs who served that Empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The old sneering centuries of Punch-style racist supremacy over the Irish doesn't have the same potency it had in the glory days of Empire.

Exactly that attitude. Dying breed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Ever had an Irish car bomb?

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Am on a group holiday...only Irish person...something comes up about electric cars and I say about the plans for Ireland and 2030 bans.

One English person in the group pipes up with..”oh, are you not still all on donkeys?”

I told him I wasn’t putting up with this **** and left the table.

He mentioned the famine earlier at dinner too.

Tour leader taking it as a joke.

Racist abuse or not?

Racist? No.

A bad attempt at a joke? Yes.

I'll tell what racist is. It's being in a bar in London in the 90's and being called a pig eyed mick by someone who heard our accents, then being jumped on outside said pub and having ten shades knocked out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Reminded me to give a quick update.

Over the next 10 days, the guy got himself into a bit of trouble by insulting people. One of the group was getting some salad and he shouted across the table "that's enough, that has to do six other people". The person was clearly shocked but said nothing back.

The Tour Leader was told in another Restaurant not to return with visitors him again. He had ordered a load of food, then when it arrived, he denied that was what he ordered and told them to "take it away" and then when the waitress asked if he was finished, loudly said "I want dessert NOW!". The Tour Guide said the people were "fiery" and would not entertain this conduct and he quickly added "like the Irish" and laughed.

In another bar, there was a couple (black man and white woman) having a drink. The woman was English and was chatting to our group making conversation but the man was African. For some reason, he chose this exact time to start going on loudly about Africans and Ugandans (!) The black guy kept turning around and glaring at him clearly really annoyed and the Guide had to stop him or the black guy was going to come over and take him on.

He insulted quite a lot of people and I would say about half pulled him up on it. As the time went on, you could see him going into Restaurants, shops, Hotels etc and knowing he was likely to insult someone, waiting to see their reaction was funny.

Guy just sounds like real delinquent, maybe some behavioural problem or hooligan element.

I suppose just group nervously laughed with him in beginning, but then soon realised he needs to shut up.

There are certainly some Irish who defend that behaviour from British (but would give out if it was an Irish person) - who reek of an inferiority complex, read British tabloids, probably wear poppies, refer to themselves as 'Paddies'.

Nice to hear he made the rest uncomfortable aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Guy just sounds like real delinquent, maybe some behavioural problem or hooligan element.

I suppose just group nervously laughed with him in beginning, but then soon realised he needs to shut up.

There are certainly some Irish who defend that behaviour from British (but would give out if it was an Irish person) - who reek of an inferiority complex, read British tabloids, probably wear poppies, refer to themselves as 'Paddies'.

Nice to hear he made the rest uncomfortable aswell.
    Thankfully I've never met one Irish person who would defend that type of behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

It's amazing Irish people are oblivious at just how rude the Irish are to the British who live here

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yep, a british person in particular english would get a much harder time of it over here than an irish person in the UK

fryup wrote: »
    yep, a british person in particular english would get a much harder time of it over here than an irish person in the UK

Along with travellers it seems it is the only perfectly acceptable racism in Irish society at all levels.

Things i have heard I would genuinely fear if I was a unionist in the north with a united ireland looming. Their views are dismissed altogether and always countered with things along the lines of "they shouldn't be there" or "who gives a f$ck what they think".

It's amazing Irish people are oblivious at just how rude the Irish are to the British who live here
    Imagine the amount of bullying English kids suffered down through the years, just for the crime of being English.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Imagine the amount of bullying English kids suffered down through the years, just for the crime of being English.

Furkin' right, Paddy. Like a first cousin of mine, same name as me, and him with a Yorkshire accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

this is the way society has gone the least thing and their offended, enjoy your holiday , and give as good as you get , their like Murphy's dog they can give it but they can't take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

I'm sure they know where the airport is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Along with travellers it seems it is the only perfectly acceptable racism in Irish society at all levels.

how is contempt for the criminal activities travellers are involved with Racism ?

Travellers are not a race either.

I despise all criminals, regardless of race, color, creed, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Am on a group holiday...only Irish person...something comes up about electric cars and I say about the plans for Ireland and 2030 bans.

One English person in the group pipes up with..”oh, are you not still all on donkeys?”

I told him I wasn’t putting up with this **** and left the table.

He mentioned the famine earlier at dinner too.

Tour leader taking it as a joke.

Racist abuse or not?

Hmm ...fine line ...it could be he is trying to be funny.

Racism is not just making a joke .or disliking people...its having a STIGMATIZED idea of a people based on something other than character

So if he really believed in a stigmatized idea of Irish people. Then yes its bigoted.

I mean there would be lovely English people who like Irish people but would make the odd funny joke etc ...that's fine.

Hmm ...fine line ...it could be he is trying to be funny.

Racism is not just making a joke .or disliking people...its having a STIGMATIZED idea of a people based on something other than character

So if he really believed in a stigmatized idea of Irish people. Then yes its bigoted.

I mean there would be lovely English people who like Irish people but would make the odd funny joke etc ...that's fine.
    I think you should read the whole thread. The op posted updates and the guy he was talking about turned out to be a total as$hole who upset nearly everyone he met.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I think you should read the whole thread. The op posted updates and the guy he was talking about turned out to be a total as$hole who upset nearly everyone he met.

Oh he is someone with a problem then.

Interestingly i find Irish people tend to exalt the British particularly the eton educated tribe. We credit them subconsciously with a lot more than they warrant with their lack of intelligence and behavior sometimes.

Whereas the perception of Irish people in the UK baffles me sometimes. Apparently if you have an Irish accent you are dumb. And you are more likely to steal.

how is contempt for the criminal activities travellers are involved with Racism ?

Travellers are not a race either.

I despise all criminals, regardless of race, color, creed, etc

Neither are the british a race.
    You won't find me disagreeing with that. They are not a race and have a crazy amount of criminals per capita. The point I was making is that as a society at all class levels we pussy foot around race or group issues and as soon as travelers are mentioned the conversation changes and I must admit I am often in such company and say nothing (as my experiences with travelers has also been negative) but also notice the same is said when bashing the british. This is ingrained in Irish society and transcends all class barriers. A good brit bash can endear you to all parts of the group.

Original point I made if is far harder to be a brit in Ireland now then a Irish person in the UK now and if you are reading this and thinking it's their own fault then you are proving my point exactly.

It's rife here, and so socially acceptable it's never even registered my most as even an issue in conversation.

Just an observation. It does make any protests by most irish people in discrimination null and void.

I dont find the english are that badly treated...

I worked with a few of them, all cockney lads, and in the pub once , one of them was mouthing off about the foreigners coming here to ireland and ripping of the state in handouts.
    when someone said you are a foreigner, he replied, he was not only paying tax but was an employer doing his bit for the country he now calls home

I dont find the english are that badly treated...

I worked with a few of them, all cockney lads, and in the pub once , one of them was mouthing off about the foreigners coming here to ireland and ripping of the state in handouts.
    when someone said you are a foreigner, he replied, he was not only paying tax but was an employer doing his bit for the country he now calls home

That old chestnut, the same story has been regaled about irish men in the UK like a million times.

I presume you will swear blind you witnessed this and its not an old wives tale as if this is new and interesting information

That old chestnut, the same story has been regaled about irish men in the UK like a million times.

I presume you will swear blind you witnessed this and its not an old wives tale as if this is new and interesting information

do you have trouble reading ?
    I already stated I was working with them and in the pub.

Why would I make this up, what benefit is there for me to lie ?

• Advertisement

It's worth noting that I am not disputing your story but it's like the oldest one in history.

Your story works both ways, it's nothing more then a snapshot of you limited experiences, like the rest but the fact of the point I made still remains.

99.9% of honest UK in Ireland people will agree...once they are not in a pub telling you what you want to hear after a few pints.

Advertisement