Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trivial things that make you happy - Part 3 - The Happyning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I hadn't used used some things in excel like vlookup or concatenate or other stuff in over 5 years. Well forgotten

My bosses boss gave me something to do and I felt I hadn´t a clue

But like riding a bike it all came back to me and after a few trial and errors I was cross checking hundreds of lines of stuff.

TH´d I remembered some stuff I didn't use in over 5 years.

Finally getting to sit down with a lovely hot beverage after a long day :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

mikemac2 wrote: »
    I hadn't used used some things in excel like vlookup or concatenate or other stuff in over 5 years. Well forgotten

But like riding a bike it all came back to me and after a few trial and errors I was cross checking hundreds of lines of stuff.

That's the best feeling, mikemac! :D I <3 Excel, too. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

mikemac2 wrote: »

I'm staring blankly at a 25,000 row excel spreadsheet right now trying to figure out how to use the SUMIF function for the first time in years, so good to know I'm not alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Free keyring came with printer ink I ordered.
    Also 4 XL cartridges delivered for €21.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,297 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw The New Mutants at the cinema this evening; I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Weekends that don't fly by.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A good science, nature or wildlife documentary on the TV. Bliss!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,362 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

When you get nice thin, fat free steaks :) Went down very well with some chips, mushy peas and pepper sauce. Also have an eagerly waiting doggo as he knows whenever I have steak, he gets a steak too.

^^^^^

A proper feed that :pac:

TH that I'm looking out the window and there's lots of greenery :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Telling a total stranger to fuck off and mind their own business. I'm normally never rude to people (because I'm very nice, actually), but I made an exception this morning and it gave me so much satisfaction that I think I might make a habit of it. I gave a very small sum of money to a homeless person who sleeps in the doorway of a derelict restaurant (as I said, I'm very nice) and a very well-spoken woman approached me and - within earshot of the aforementioned homeless person - berated me for doing so because "she's going to spend it on drugs". So I told her to fuck off and mind her own business. Anyway, I'm going to make a habit of it, perhaps even to people who don't deserve it. No more Mr Nice Guy.

.anon. wrote: »
    Telling a total stranger to fuck off and mind their own business. I'm normally never rude to people (because I'm very nice, actually), but I made an exception this morning and it gave me so much satisfaction that I think I might make a habit of it. I gave a very small sum of money to a homeless person who sleeps in the doorway of a derelict restaurant (as I said, I'm very nice) and a very well-spoken woman approached me and - within earshot of the aforementioned homeless person - berated me for doing so because "she's going to spend it on drugs". So I told her to fuck off and mind her own business. Anyway, I'm going to make a habit of it, perhaps even to people who don't deserve it. No more Mr Nice Guy.

Very liberating, isn’t it? Rush of dopamine!

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

When you get nice thin, fat free steaks :) Went down very well with some chips, mushy peas and pepper sauce. Also have an eagerly waiting doggo as he knows whenever I have steak, he gets a steak too and so does Ted.

Why thank you for being so considerate Shell

• Registered Users Posts: 30,362 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Why thank you for being so considerate Shell

I want no fighting between you and the dog as to who gets the bigger piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Miele and DPD. Descaling cartridge for coffee maker ordered by phone on Friday, Deliverd at time stated in text messge this morning, from Germany.

So only three days without quality coffee. Won't delay ordering again, though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

wildwillow wrote: »
    Miele and DPD. Descaling cartridge for coffee maker ordered by phone on Friday, Deliverd at time stated in text messge this morning, from Germany.

So only three days without quality coffee. Won't delay ordering again, though.

Three days too many some might say :eek:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A chat at the gate with my neighbour y'day. who promised me bags of turf for the stove. YAY!

That two parcels of knitting left here safely ...

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

Thanks to Covid my company is WFH until well into 2021, so after quarantining in Dublin, I'm back in the weshht in my parents' house for a few weeks / months to see how I go. It's been 17 years since I spent this much time in the family home.

The postman buzzed the door earlier today. I've never met him before in my life to my recollection, but he knows my life story. "jesus I haven't seen you in years! You're the middle one aren't ya? Back from Canada now? Or was it the UK?"

It's such a distinctly Irish thing to "know everyone" and be recognised because someone's been delivering post to your ma for thirty years that I've become completely unused to. But I'm so charmed by it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Headed home for the weekend.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

I WILL be happy when I remember what it was I came here to record as a happy and have totally forgotten. Of course that will be when I have closed the computer.. Old age!

• Advertisement

Ah yes! Happy that I managed to sort out socks on Amazon.. or was it Ebay?

Missing charity shops greatly .. new stuff is so darned expensive …

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭bolgbui41

On charity shops: I'm not a big fan of clothes shopping, but I do pick up the odd bit in the second hand shops in town and I'd heard most of the local shops were taking in a lot less money than normal because of low footfall. I saw enable Ireland had a page on ebay, and while they didn't have much stock up they had a thing where you could pay €20 for a kilo of clothes in your size - basically a mystery parcel. I got mine this morning, five items, and while I initially thought "nah" to everything (nothing was a colour or style I'd normally pick), when I actually tried the stuff on most of it was lovely. So I now have a new work shirt, plaid trousers, corduroy skirt, and a dress, and the only thing I won't keep is a black flouncy penny's top (being not a fan of black, flounces, or Penny's). And three of the things were brand new and still had labels! So TH that I got nice new clothes that I never would have chosen for myself without the stress of actually having to shop, and threw a bit of money to a charity at the same time.

Second TH is looking at the blue tits devouring the dead sunflower heads I hung outside my window. I've spent most of the morning watching them dart back and forth.

TH - Puns : a knitter with a knitting pun :D
    Graces7 wrote: »
    Ah yes! Happy that I managed to sort out socks on Amazon.. or was it Ebay?

Missing charity shops greatly .. new stuff is so darned expensive …

'Darned' expensive lol :)

TH - Puns : a knitter with a knitting pun :D

'Darned' expensive lol :)

GRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOANNNNNNNNNN! lol..

Graces7 wrote: »
    GRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOANNNNNNNNNN! lol..

:pac::pac::pac:

It was a good pun though... Credit where it's due :D

Puns are good imo :)

bolgbui41 wrote: »
    On charity shops: I'm not a big fan of clothes shopping, but I do pick up the odd bit in the second hand shops in town and I'd heard most of the local shops were taking in a lot less money than normal because of low footfall. I saw enable Ireland had a page on ebay, and while they didn't have much stock up they had a thing where you could pay €20 for a kilo of clothes in your size - basically a mystery parcel. I got mine this morning, five items, and while I initially thought "nah" to everything (nothing was a colour or style I'd normally pick), when I actually tried the stuff on most of it was lovely. So I now have a new work shirt, plaid trousers, corduroy skirt, and a dress, and the only thing I won't keep is a black flouncy penny's top (being not a fan of black, flounces, or Penny's). And three of the things were brand new and still had labels! So TH that I got nice new clothes that I never would have chosen for myself without the stress of actually having to shop, and threw a bit of money to a charity at the same time.

That is enterprising! I have narrowed it down to one, maybe 2 items. And one I can probably make myself,,,And yes, they are losing out. Although one here has been refusing donations. Maybe covid related? eg bedding etc? I have two boxes of paperbacks to give .

I used to go to the Lunch Club in Westport connected with Meals on Wheels, once a month and they have a lovely charity shop. I have not bought new for years and prices came as a terrible shock..lol..The real world!

:pac::pac::pac:

It was a good pun though... Credit where it's due :D

Puns are good imo :)

Reminds me of a story from my far away university days. One student was always making terrible puns and when they got fed up they locked him in a room and told him they would not release him until he made a really good pun..

As they were going down the corridor he shouted.... "O-PUN the door..! !!"

OK.I/m off!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I've had a headache all day that will not feck off. Painkillers, a nap, nothing will work. It got to the stage that I was feeling really sick. This bit is sounds more like a TA really. But anyway, I got into bed and my cat immediately got up, walked over and lay down on my chest and started to purr out loud. He never purrs out loud. 5 minutes later and I'm feeling so much better, headache is almost gone and I don't feel too sick. Cats are magic!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭bubbles o hara

KatW4 wrote: »
    I've had a headache all day that will not feck off. Painkillers, a nap, nothing will work. It got to the stage that I was feeling really sick. This bit is sounds more like a TA really. But anyway, I got into bed and my cat immediately got up, walked over and lay down on my chest and started to purr out loud. He never purrs out loud. 5 minutes later and I'm feeling so much better, headache is almost gone and I don't feel too sick. Cats are magic!!!

All animals are magic. So glad your headache's gone. Give your puddy cat a squoosh for me please. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

All animals are magic. So glad your headache's gone. Give your puddy cat a squoosh for me please.

They sure are!! He got all of the cuddles :)

Advertisement