Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sexton is still the best 10 in the country right now.

"Washed up" is laughable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Sexton is still the best 10 in the country right now.

"Washed up" is laughable

He didn’t looked too washed up in the last two games

Who was the poor back row he nailed against Lyon?

It funny how long now a certain group of Irish supporters have been trying to say Sexton is finished....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,226 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Why on earth are you biting on this rubbish. It's so dumb I can feel my IQ dwindling every time I read those posts.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Why on earth are you biting on this rubbish. It's so dumb I can feel my IQ dwindling every time I read those posts.

I was sure the poster had a excellent alternative and a well thought out plan

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The Six Nations is too important financially for all players over a certain age to suddenly be jettisoned. Rob Kearney and Sean Cronin are two players that Ireland can move on from as there are now alternatives. Ronan Kelleher needs to be in the Ireland 23. He only turns 22 in January but he's been too impressive to leave out.

On the other hand Sexton and Earls are still the best players in their positions. They have to be starting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    He didn’t looked too washed up in the last two games

Who was the poor back row he nailed against Lyon?

It funny how long now a certain group of Irish supporters have been trying to say Sexton is finished....

No wheels, aimless kicking and he's too predictable at international level. And if I see another Garryowen into the opposition 22 for a easy mark I'll scream.

So he's played 2 games now has he? Probably his longest run of games in quite a while.

Still no better 10 playing in Ireland right now....

But you keep banging that solo drum... It's entertaining...

Still no better 10 playing in Ireland right now....

But you keep banging that solo drum... It's entertaining...

And he will be in 4 years too unless they give youth some experience. He's been average for a while now and he's too old to get better. You could slot Ross Byrne in for him at any time and you'd notice no difference and we all know how limited Ross is.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Course, we all know who Andy Farrell needs to call to save Ireland.

We know.

And he will be in 4 years too unless they give youth some experience. He's been average for a while now and he's too old to get better.

So your castigating the brand new coaching squad for something that haven't done yet....

Interesting logic.

• Advertisement

So your castigating the brand new coaching squad for something that haven't done yet....

Interesting logic.

I haven't mentioned the coaching squad at all Mr Strawman.

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I can feel my IQ dwindling every time I read those posts.

You'd want to watch that. It's not like you started with much :D

I haven't mentioned the coaching squad at all Mr Strawman.

So the "they" you refer to in the ireland rugby thread who are supposed to give youth a chance is???

Boards posters??

You'd want to watch that. It's not like you started with much :D

If that's the quality of your argument then I'm out.....

Good night

So the "they" you refer to in the ireland rugby thread who are supposed to give youth a chance is???

Boards posters??

Plenty of young tens that would like a shot at a central contract. JS doesn't do enough these days to be retained.

If that's the quality of your argument then I'm out.....

Good night

Good luck to you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The theory is sound. It's no different to saying we should move on from Kearney. Build for the future etc.

The problem is that the only viable replacement is always injured. Everyone else is well below the standard needed. There's no point dumping Sexton until someone else can show they're up to the job, it would be utterly pointless.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

He’s chuffed with the amount of bites he’s after getting.

The moment he offered no alternative is when he should have been left shouting at the clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Kearney has lots of replacements. Haley is playing great, Larmour is going well and there's Addison. I'd be surprised to see Kearney in the 6 nation's. I think Haley will be in with a shot as he's gotten a good run of matches already. Larmour is good on the wings and at fb as is Addison. I think RK will be the 1st to be dropped.
    Cronin may also be dropped. I think Herring and Scannell will get the nod for the 6nations and Kelleher getting a cap also.
    Think the squad will turn over in the next 2 years. Sexton will probably still be in the mix. Nobody obviously as good atm.

No wheels, aimless kicking and he's too predictable at international level. And if I see another Garryowen into the opposition 22 for a easy mark I'll scream.

So he's played 2 games now has he? Probably his longest run of games in quite a while.

I would hope he hasn’t got wheels, he is a person after all

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Great interview with Joe Schmidt on off the ball podcast.

All those knee jerk reactor posters should give it a good listen.

nah, i don't think any of us will learn anything we don't know. kneejerk? good one

Anyway, until an alternative comes along that is playing well enough to usurp any of the elder players, they will continue to be played.

I for one can't see kearney having any more that a bit part in this seasons 6N, if anything. The alternatives are playing equal if not better ie larmour, haley, Addison.

There's obviously a void at 2 and the front runner is a very young player, which is great.

At 9, Murray position is in real trouble unless he finds his better form. I think JGP has a style that is well suited to test level rugby and he could turn out to be a gem in green if he gets his chance.

At 10, until the younger pretenders are close enough to sextons performances to warrant inclusion in big games, then Sexton will still be the main man for at least the next 6N. Of all his competition, its actually only Billy burns who is currently putting in anything like the level of performances needed to oust him. While Fitzgerald is playing well in connacht, it's still very 'individual based' rather than controlling a team. I thought JJ was very good last weekend, but suffers from being a jack of all trades. Until he nails down the red 10 shirt, he won't have a sniff at the green one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

While I still think Sexton is far and away the best 10, and of course will start the big games, it's also true his days are numbered - age catches up with all players. Do we want to be in a situation in two years time where Sexton is either injured or just not up to test level anymore, and we haven't got a suitable replacement because they haven't had enough exposure to test level? I hope the new management take a more pro-active approach to bringing players through - not giving them 5/10 minutes at the end of a game that's either won or lost, but bringing them on at 50 minutes, or starting them with a serious backup on the bench. It's one area I think JS got it wrong - over-reliance on the likes of Murray and Sexton, and not giving substitutes enough gametime. Marmion proved himself a capable replacement against NZ and England in particular, but when Murray was fit again he was reduced to cameo roles, even when Murray was clearly out of form.

Farrell first couple of games is in a 6 nations. If he wins it then he is great. Loses a game and he is s**t. Just look at the fans on here to know that's true.

At the moment the only person capable of replacing Sexton is Carbery. Will he be fit? no idea. Will he stay fit for a full 6 nations? probably not. For all the complaints about Sexton and been injury prone I think we need to consider Carbery is potentially worse. Which is a huge loss.

Based on current form. I would have Sexton as a starter. Carbery on the bench. Maybe start Carbery for Italy and Scotland. Then in squad have Byrne and Burns. I would bring H Byrne and Fitzgerald in Connacht up around the squad when they get a chance.

I would love to bring in H Byrne but I think he will get serious minutes for Leinster during the 6 nations so wouldbe better to stay at province. Fitzgerald, well if he continues to start at Connacht then bring him straight in....

At 9, based on current it would be Cooney, Blade and McGrath. I personally would start Blade.....

God this forum would be a nightmare if Blade and Fitzgerald started a 6 nations match :-) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I would hope that the new coaches give a clean slate to everyone.
    For the 6N I'd like to see a team picked based on form.
    It's the start of a new RWC cycle, so age shouldn't matter, whatever players are putting in the best performances in each position should be selected.

Right now I would go with:

1. Healy, 2. Kelleher, 3. Porter,
    5. Dillane, 4. Ryan,
    6. Ruddock, 8. Deegan, 7. Van der Flier,
    9. Cooney, 10. Sexton,
    12. McCloskey, 13. Ringrose,
    11. Earls, 15. Haley, 14. Conway

16. Scannell, 17. Kilcoyne, 18. Moore, 19. Henderson, 20. Beirne, 21. Blade, 22. Burns, 23. Stockdale.

It will change a lot by February but whoever is playing the best should be rewarded with selection.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I would hope that the new coaches give a clean slate to everyone.
    For the 6N I'd like to see a team picked based on form.
    It's the start of a new RWC cycle, so age shouldn't matter, whatever players are putting in the best performances in each position should be selected.

Right now I would go with:

1. Healy, 2. Kelleher, 3. Porter,
    5. Dillane, 4. Ryan,
    6. Ruddock, 8. Deegan, 7. Van der Flier,
    9. Cooney, 10. Sexton,
    12. McCloskey, 13. Ringrose,
    11. Earls, 15. Haley, 14. Conway

16. Scannell, 17. Kilcoyne, 18. Moore, 19. Henderson, 20. Beirne, 21. Blade, 22. Burns, 23. Stockdale.

It will change a lot by February but whoever is playing the best should be rewarded with selection.

I agree with the sentiment but I don't see Stander falling outside the starting 15, let alone the 23. He was one of the few players to come away from the RWC with credit in the bank.

It's an interesting start to Farrell's career. First two games are at home against Scotland and Wales.

Scotland are on a bit of a trajectory and it's not an uphill one. I think the players will want to kick off Farrell's tenure appropriately and I expect a pretty big performance against the Scots. Watching the provinces I'm inclined to feel that the pressure and focus on the World cup was the catalyst behind the drop in form for quite a few players but there seems to be a bit of a bounce back afoot.

Wales at home under Pivac will be interesting. Did a good job with Scarlet's but I think Gatland was been the secret ingredient keeping Wales ticking and I do wonder how they will go from here. They've a bruiser against France in the opening round and then they visit us in the Aviva.

England in round three in Twickenham is where we'll get a very true sense of where the team is.

Not an easy start but hopefully it will be a good one.

aloooof wrote: »
    I agree with the sentiment but I don't see Stander falling outside the starting 15, let alone the 23. He was one of the few players to come away from the RWC with credit in the bank.

Stander was one of the better players in the WC....just didn't have a strong enough back row players to help him. Stick him at 6 with Deegan at 8 or play him at 8 with Ruddock at 6 and I think it will help. VDF has to start at 7 of fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Our best performances over the past 12 months have been with Conan at 8 and Stander at 6 imo. Conan is injured though I'm sure sure we'll see POM and Stander at 6 and 8 again, which hasn't been good enough for about 12 months at international level.

• Advertisement

Our best performances over the past 12 months have been with Conan at 8 and Stander at 6 imo. Conan is injured though I'm sure sure we'll see POM and Stander at 6 and 8 again, which hasn't been good enough for about 12 months at international level.

I can't do another game with POM at 6 and Stander at 8.....yes it will probably work at Scotland at home....but any of the decent teams we get murdered

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement