Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Most likely crying

Furlong couldn't lace Hayes' boots when it came to crying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

No Ferris no likey.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It does seem a bit weird to have James Ryan on a list that's mostly retirees, with a few soon-to-be retirees thrown in.

Furlong too I guess, but he makes sense as it's a position we never really excelled in.

mfceiling wrote: »
    No Ferris no likey.

Had Ferris not succumbed to injury there's no doubt in my mind he's a slam dunk pick for a list like this. I can't leave out Wallace though.

It's such a pity that injuries in 2011 robbed Ireland/Kidney of having SOB, Ferris, Heaslip and Wallace available at the same time. I'd imagine SOB would have been the bencher and a pissed off SOB coming off the bench at 55-60' is a frightening prospect!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭geotrig

Where the **** is Hayes?! :mad:

carrying them all under one arm :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Had Ferris not succumbed to injury there's no doubt in my mind he's a slam dunk pick for a list like this. I can't leave out Wallace though.

It's such a pity that injuries in 2011 robbed Ireland/Kidney of having SOB, Ferris, Heaslip and Wallace available at the same time. I'd imagine SOB would have been the bencher and a pissed off SOB coming off the bench at 55-60' is a frightening prospect!

If you had those 4 available, what combo would you go with?

Yeah_Right wrote: »

heaslip would be benched !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

geotrig wrote: »
    heaslip would be benched !

Nice. Give the Mods some work to do.

Yeah_Right wrote: »

SOB would seem to me to be the obvious odd man out. The most versatile of the four and probably the best at doing damage as a fresh replacement.

he'd also be ok to replace all 3 at once

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Furlong couldn't lace Hayes' boots when it came to crying.

Sure Hayes had to move to velcro boots. The tears were making the laces impossible to grip.

Sure Hayes had to move to velcro boots. The tears were making the laces impossible to grip.

Look we already have one Buer. We don't need two.

A boy has to have a dream, a star to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

SOB was our best player at the 2011 World Cup and the reigning European Player of the Year. There's no way he would have been benched. Deccie's entire game plan was give it to Seanie, let him truck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,543 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

SOB was our best player at the 2011 World Cup and the reigning European Player of the Year. There's no way he would have been benched. Deccie's entire game plan was give it to Seanie, let him truck it up.

Which was to our demise against Wales sadly. Some say Dan Lydiate is still on that pitch chop tackling whatever person comes near him.

I'm not sure you understand how a Best Ireland 23 of the Pro Era works...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Buer wrote: »
    I see Wood and BOD named their XV of the 21st century. Wood did the forwards, BOD did the backs with the exception of 10 where BOD said he could not pick someone as both ROG and Sexton are his friends and one would hold a grudge if he didn't pick him. Neither Wood nor BOD could be selected:

Healy
    Best
    Furlong
    POC
    Ryan
    SOB
    Wallace
    Heaslip
    Murray
    ROG
    Earls
    D'Arcy
    Ringrose
    Bowe
    Kearney

Interesting mentions for Flannery (BOD was a big advocate for Flannery) and Reddan who apparently were big leaders behind the scenes in terms of setting standards off the pitch and demanding more of those around them. Surprisingly, they spoke very highly of Leamy also in relation to his skill set.

Payne noted as arguably the most influential loss in the 2015 RWC but simply wasn't around enough to be ahead of Ringrose.

Each had one veto for the others' selections.

BOD would have had Ferris instead of Wallace in the backrow. Wood was going to use his veto if BOD chose Sexton.

Yea it was a good show....

That put a smile on my face today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I know the current gen are probably the "best" overall etc with their wins etc , it does seem very unbalanced to recent caps though

It does? Ringrose, Healy, Furlong, Ryan and Earls are the only current players.

And two of those guys made their debuts in 2009 so have been around a long, long time.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    No Ferris no likey.

I should add that I listed the announced team. If we count BOD's veto, it's Ferris instead of Wallace. He said the best backrow of Ireland in the pro era was the 2011 RWC trio.

I could do with some help on here. It's like the Irish loosehead in 2000-2010 having to do the work of two props.

That put a smile on my face today.

02:18

He ain't singing "cuss".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I'm not sure you understand how a Best Ireland 23 of the Pro Era works...

I'm not sure you read the thread

I'm not sure you read the thread

Haven't the energy to wrangle this on out.

No benching Seanie, gotcha.

Personally, I'm with Thomond2006.

It does? Ringrose, Healy, Furlong, Ryan and Earls are the only current players.

And two of those guys made their debuts in 2009 so have been around a long, long time.

what about players from 2000/2001? wasnt hickey always touted as one of our best wingers ,claw for prop etc , geordan murphy etc, its a bit stupid anyway as ringrose is in there cause bod couldn't be picked and fla and best mentioned as wood couldnt be picked , what about maggs, henderson(i know you are loling) but for a time he was a excellent player ,they were equally as good as darcy at times ?

Re-read the thread.

Fair enough. Hadn't realised there was a separate conversation about 2011.

what about players from 2000/2001? wasnt hickey always touted as one of our best wingers ,claw for prop etc , geordan murphy etc, its a bit stupid anyway as ringrose is in there cause bod couldn't be picked and fla and best mentioned as wood couldnt be picked , what about maggs, henderson(i know you are loling) but for a time he was a excellent player ,they were equally as good as darcy at times ?

Listen to the piece. They were all mentioned, I think.

Hickie never had the consistency of Earls or Bowe and suffered badly with injuries. Clohsessy was very good; he wasn't in Healy's class though. For a sustained period, I don't think many would have Henderson or Maggs ahead of D'Arcy although both were excellent players at their best. But D'Arcy in 2004 was nominated for world player of the year deservedly.

Nobody in their right mind would have Geordan Murphy ahead of Kearney. Incredibly talented but was incredibly unreliable too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think the only other player that was suggested that has't been mentioned here was POM.

*unfollows thread*

aloooof wrote: »
    I think the only other player that was suggested that has't been mentioned here was POM.

*unfollows thread*

Wood had him next in line behind Wallace and ahead of Ferris.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,086 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Wood had him next in line behind Wallace and ahead of Ferris.

Christ on a bike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement