Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you consider nationalists from Northern Ireland to be Irish?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I think that's fair enough really - NI is part of the UK after all.

It's just a citizenship thing really, a bit different to whether they are Irish or not

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

British Isles has officially been dropped by Irish Government policy since approx 2007. What happened a 100 years before that or what was previously taught in some in some schools in the past is irrelevant unless, you're Irish, and wish to be argumentative.

Just so we are clear here. You now agree with me that it was indeed recognised by the Irish government as British Isles until about 10 years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

alastair wrote: »
    Orangeism is also Irish culture and heritage. Plenty of NI unionist and loyalist culture is specific to Ireland, albeit a different culture to Nationalists.

That's incorrect, "orangeism" is not specific to Ireland, it is a very large part of Scottish culture and is found in Canada and New Zealand as well

Why not? We don't say Irish Isles when we mean Ireland and it's islands, we just say Ireland.

We are not talking about Ireland & it's isles. We aren't taking about Brittan & it's isles. We are talking about a geographical grouping of 500 islands known worldwide as the British isles.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,249 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well, this is timed well for this thread.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/1014/1083271-desouza-citizenship/

The UK Home Office/immigration tribunal considers people born in NI to be automatically British citizens.

I didn't expect any other outcome.

The GFA does give her the right to be Irish, but she has to exercise that right. She hasn't exercised that right so the default applies.

Also, as I have pointed out numerous times in the thread, residency, domicile, citizenship and nationality have different legal bases for deciding whether you are Irish or British or something else. Identity and cultural affinity are for each individual to decide.

• Advertisement

Because its my belief that people from protestant and unionist backgrounds in NI who identify solely as British are not Irish. Others disagree and that's fine. But the PUL community in the North do not partake in any Irish culture, have little or no Irish heritage and declare their loyalty to the UK.

It's a bit more than that, Many unionists define themselves by their hatred of irishness and Irish culture

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Just so we are clear here. You now agree with me that it was indeed recognised by the Irish government as British Isles until about 10 years ago?

Not that I know of - has the Irish government ever accepted it as a term? They did come out and expressly say it wasn't a term they recognised around 2007.

No need to confirm you understand the difference. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    That's incorrect, "orangeism" is not specific to Ireland, it is a very large part of Scottish culture and is found in Canada and New Zealand as well

Only as exports from NI. It’s a tradition founded and centred in NI. Plenty of Irish dancing to be found in Birmingham and Queens, but that doesn’t mean it’s not an Irish-specific tradition.

Call what Britain & Ireland? You must have realised by now that we are talking about a grouping of 500 islands. Calling them Britain and Ireland is hardly suitable. Or are you referring to just the two main islands Ireland and Britain?

All the Islands are either British or Irish - so Britain and Ireland is a perfect term for all the Islands.

Not that I know of - has the Irish government ever accepted it as a term? They did come out and expressly say it wasn't a term they recognised around 2007.

No need to confirm you understand the difference. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt :P

Yes. Of course the Irish government accepted the name. They paid teachers to tell us about it.

Here's the thing. No Irish government has had the balls to actually tell the world what their preferred wording is. This is the ultimate wimp. You tell the world that you find something offensive yet you refuse to tell the world how you would like them to address it.

Irish Government: Don't call it this because it offends our country.

Rest of the world: What should I call it.

Irish Government: I'm not going to tell you!

Until the government come out & tell the world the preferred term actually is then "British Isles" it is

• Advertisement

Yes. Of course the Irish government accepted the name. They paid teachers to tell us about it.

Here's the thing. No Irish government has had the balls to actually tell the world what their preferred wording is. This is the ultimate wimp. You tell the world that you find something offensive yet you refuse to tell the world how you would like them to address it.

Until the government come out & tell the world the preferred term actually is then "British Isles" it is

Maybe, just maybe, they have bigger fish to fry rather than come up with a name other than one with a British possessive adjective. It really is okay not to name something, but say you're not okay with a certain description.

All the Islands are either British or Irish - so Britain and Ireland is a perfect term for all the Islands.

No. Britain & Ireland describes two countries. British Isles is a geographical term. It describes a Massive area. You could try British & Irish isles but until Irish Government announce the preferred term it's British Isles. This is the term the Irish education system taught us. :)

Sean McBride, as minister for external affairs in 1951, made clear to the UN that they shouldn’t use the term to refer to a regional grouping. It’s been avoided by the UN ever since. So clearly the State have not accepted it from well before 2007.

Only as exports from NI. It’s a tradition founded and centred in NI. Plenty of Irish dancing to be found in Birmingham and Queens, but that doesn’t mean it’s not an Irish-specific tradition.

Ulster unionist culture is a transfered culture from Scotland, ulster protestants are Scots who happen to live in Ireland

No. Britain & Ireland describes two countries. British Isles is a geographical term. It describes a Massive area. You could try British & Irish isles but until Irish Government announce the preferred term it's British Isles. This is the term the Irish education system taught us. :)

Britain and Ireland is a geographic term too. Precisely the same geographic area as the other term.

Maybe, just maybe, they have bigger fish to fry rather than come up with a name other than one with a British possessive adjective. It really is okay not to name something, but say you're not okay with a certain description.

Let me get this straight. This term has bothered the Irish government for a hundred years yet it continued to educate it's children that it's British Isles for all this time. Ten years ago it announced that it doesn't recognize the name but refuses to tell us the preferred name.

You are now telling me that the government hasn't had the time to setup a committee to come up with proposals? Too busy for the last 10, 20 50, 70 years???You honestly believe that?

Here's what I believe. I think the Irish government could really care less one way or Another. A minister making comments & not following through is called playing to the audience. If they cared they would come up with a wording.

Ulster unionist culture is a transfered culture from Scotland, ulster protestants are Scots who happen to live in Ireland

Orangeism was born in NI. It wasn’t imported from anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Your poll options are inadequate.

Any Northern Irish person is free to consider themselves "Irish", or "Northern Irish", or "British", or any two of the above, or all three.

Similarly, a Scot can consider themselves to be "Scottish", or "British", or both.

A Welshman can consider themselves to be "Welsh", or "British", or both.

The problem arises from the fact that even if you add all of the above people together, they are still vastly outnumbered by the English.

And the English consider that "English" and "British" are one and the same thing. This could be for a couple of reasons; some of them simply haven't considered the possibility that they're not the same, while (possibly more worrying) they have considered it, and they simply do not care.

And frankly your poll option betray this bias!

Let me get this straight. This term has bothered the Irish government for a hundred years yet it continued to educate it's children that it's British Isles for all this time. Ten years ago it announced that it doesn't recognize the name but refuses to tell us the preferred name.

You are now telling me that the government hasn't had the time to setup a committee to come up with proposals? Too busy for the last 10, 20 50, 70 years???You honestly believe that?

Here's what I believe. I think the Irish government could really care less one way or Another. A minister making comments & not following through is called playing to the audience. If they cared they would come up with a wording.

Keep burying that head in the sand. The State have never endorsed the term. They have done quite the contrary. The State don’t have any input into geography textbooks, that’s a matter for the publishers.

• Site Banned Posts: 68 ✭✭Fornevermore

Everyone born in Ireland is Irish. It's a simple fact. Unionists need to cop on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

It's a bit more than that, Many unionists define themselves by their hatred of irishness and Irish culture

The reverse is also true.

Frank Aiken’s suggestion, as minister for external affairs to a U.K. publisher in 1969; ‘Ireland and Britain, or some such terminology’. He said ‘British Isles’ should not be used.

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    The reverse is also true.

Wrong.

Call it the Irish Isles. **** them.

Frank Aiken’s suggestion, as minister for external affairs to a U.K. publisher in 1969; ‘Ireland and Britain, or some such terminology’. He said ‘British Isles’ should not be used.

He's now going to come back and say his teacher called it the British Isles, defacto every teacher called it the British Isles and the Irish government should not accept anything other than the British Isles.

Fecking teacher, they do say they have a great influence on people.

Wrong.

Certainly not everyone of course, but many, certainly in this part of the world anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

We are not talking about Ireland & it's isles. We aren't taking about Brittan & it's isles. We are talking about a geographical grouping of 500 islands known worldwide as the British isles.
    That makes no sense.. if Ireland is acceptable why isn't Britain and Ireland?

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Certainly not everyone of course, but many, certainly in this part of the world anyway.

They define themselves as Irish. Many unionists just align themselves with anything anti Irish.

They define themselves as Irish. Many unionists just align themselves with anything anti Irish.

Maybe so, but if you identify as an Ulster man/woman, that’s an Irish identity too. Just from a different tradition. Just like Cork people. Insular cranks with silly accents. 😛

• Advertisement

Don't agree at all.

Advertisement