Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Is this another multi-player first type game? I don't have the time to get good enough at online games (especially shooters), so unless it has a decent and worthwhile single-player campaign, I'd be skipping this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭eggy81

Yes I’d say it’s geared heavily towards the multiplayer side of things. There is a campaign too but as has been the norm for years it’ll probably be an 8-10 hour slaughtering session. I’ve been watching some footage online and one thing that does look very interesting though is the spec ops mode where you team up with your buddies to complete missions against Ai enemy’s. It looks like big effort has gone in there and looks very appealing to me.

Yes, I've been playing it. Absolutely loved Cold War, it's actually my most played game ever (over all gens) according to xbox museum.

I'm loving it. I know its COD doing COD again, but it's just mindless good fun.

Nuketown '84 from Cold War is still my favourite multiplayer experience of all time. I've not seen anything like it in MW2....yet.

It was possible to hack achievements on the 360. I can't remember the exact details but they had a way of detecting it and banning you. But there was a way of being careful to avoid detection. Pretty sure some of my measley 40,000 was dubiously obtained. But clearly, with only 40k, I didn't care enough to risk being banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Gone back to AC Origins and I love it.

The landscapes, enemy camps, wildlife, hunting, combat, story, graphics, characters, side quests are SO much better than Odyssey. Odyssey was randomly generated stuff in comparison. Also, little or no Mythological or Science Fiction stuff in Origins which is great. And only a little sea combat. Perfect!

Stuck between finishing up the main quest now and moving off or just chilling on the side quests.

I can just chill flying the eagle around the gorgeous 60 FPS 4K HDR world for ages.

• Advertisement

I've just noticed you can turn off achievement notifications, along with a load of others. Maybe this is not new but I never knew it was there. I've always said I'd love to be able to switch them off. I don't chase achievements but at the same time it really bugs me when a game doesn't give achievements for progressing the main storyline. I can turn them off, relax and just enjoy the game now. I'd love to go further and remove them completely from my account.

I remember playing my first Xbox one X games, and those achievement messages popping up and annoying the hell out of me, so I turned them off. I don't want to be reminded that I'm being tracked online the whole time.

Also, for me, they kill the intended art direction and atmosphere for a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,644 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Series S & X consoles are two years old today. Launched on 10th of November 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I've had my series S since early October 2021. Would have thought that I was much later to the game than less than 1 year.

Anecdotally it would appear that the PS5 is the preferred device, which I cannot understand when you look at gamepass, but there you go...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,815 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Have the SX just over 6 months I think, and it's my first since the 360. While it's a good console, amazingly quiet and the quick resume is fantastic when the individual devs have it implemented properly. But I still prefer the PS5. The DualSense is the major factor imo. It adds so much, for me, that it wins the "war" by itself nearly. That and I much prefer the shape and button placement, but that's most likely because I started back on PS1 and just come accustomed to it. I do think the 360 controller was more comfortable though. The current one gives me pains in certain games. Hardspace was pretty tough on my left thumb.

I even find myself waiting for some games I've tried on GP to come to PS+ because I'd rather experience them with the DualSense, even if they don't have proper integration. It's the haptics more than the pressure triggers. I can't explain the opening scene to Returnal, it has to be experienced. And I also understand it's not everyones cup of tea, but I'm all about immersion, and I don't get that on the SX as much as I do with the PS5.

From a strictly financial standpoint, Xbox wins. But I'm not sure if people would continue to consider it great value if they had to pay full whack each year, and not stack it for 3 years for very little. And that will have to happen some day. Is it worth €160 a year for GPU? It's all personal preference, and seems the PS5 is preferred. I can see that skyrocket once PSVR2 comes along. If they could just churn out a few more consoles....

I'm absolutely shocked you prefer PS over Xbox....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,988 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Anything cross platform I'd prefer to play on Xbox due to it running completely silent. Dualsense in Astro was cool but outside of that it's been fairly underwhelming and I prefer the shape of the Xbox controller anyway. Also the dualsense needs to be charged every 4 hours or so, pain in the ass.

I get about 8 hours from mine so not sure where 4 is coming from. I do agree that it's criminally underused so far. Has amazing potential. But as I said, it's personal preference. Just trying to justify the Edge controller now...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I love my elite controller PM, so go for it, the Edge controller looks great, will make you game better, and it'll provide an attractive swagger as you walk down the street.

There, justified.

Ah you'd miss the old console war arguments. PS gamers gloating about being loyal to a company whose business model is to block competition so they can keep prices inflated and xbox gamers desperately trying to justify what was clearly a very bad purchase. Remember the old next year will be better line?

It says a lot where we are today, 2 years into the Series X (and lets not forget game pass) where xbox gamers are just so indifferent to anything PS comes out with. Happy with their consoles, delighted with GP, fully aware there is no killer cinematic AAA exclusive titles but just happy playing games without any nonsense and no delusions that a game must be hyped to the gills and exclusive to be good.

Its as if there is some sort of sadistic pleasure in playing a game that only people in the same cult can access and making an enemy out of those who are excluded. Whatever, who cares. I'll pick it up on PC later if i can really be bothered paying €80 to Sony for a 2-3 year old game.

Indifference is the killer of all arguments.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Money is killer of all argument. (If you're not that pushed about graphics and a cheapskate like me).

With the 3 year gold top up and Xbox ambassadors, I get gamepass for 4 years for €120!

Not to mention regular rewards points continuously clocking up.

@[Deleted User] don't know if you have social media, but Xbox fans are certainly not indifferent. It's actually still the same, the loudest shouting on both sides. I prefer PS because mainly its what I grew up with, I'd imagine most on either side are the same, with exceptions.

My intent isn't a console war, just giving an opinion. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭eggy81

Have both. Got ps5 last year. Gave it to young lad. Bought series x. Prefer it. Better controller, quieter console. Quick resume. Game pass. Only thing I really miss is the ui on ps 5 is much nicer. Might get a steam deck at some stage to play the major Sony titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Folks is there any way to save my WiFi connection on the series s? Everytime i bring it to a different house I have to re enter the password

• Advertisement

My hate for achievements grows stronger. I have achievement notifications switches off and was playing MW2 campaign thinking this is great, I'm just enjoying the game and not even thinking about achievements. Finished the game but noticed my gamer score looks the same so I went into the achievements and they gave me a measly 100 GP for completing the campaign. Seems they want us to go back and play it again and do all these pissy little tasks like kill 3 people under water, kill 3 people while hit by a flashbang etc.

Jesus christ. People who achievement hunt must really have a horribly tortorous gaming lifestyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Just incase anyone was wondering I just started pre load of warzone 2 on series S and it's 46gb.

Hopefully this isn't the initial size and another 50gb on launch day but I'll be very pleasantly surprised if it stays like this for launch

I ordered the Logitech G920 wheel and pedals today. It will wheely help me perform better in the likes of Dirt Rally 2.0, Forza Motorsport 7 and the new Forza Motorsport game that will come out next year.

I gave up using wheels, I was doing too much rage quiting. Shouting at the kids for talking and making me crash made me realise this isn't healthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I have a PS5 since March 2021 and I got a Series X in September.

I use the X all the time since I got it. Game Pass is fantastic.

For me though, the Xbox controller is not a comfortable as the PS5 controller because Xbox one is smaller so I get cramps in my left thumb all the time from having to keep it bent. Also the xbox controller is very loud and clicky, the PS5 controller is basically silent.

Xbox Design Labs is very good, I got myself a custom controller in the Dublin colours.

The backwards compatibility is great on Series X, I love being able to play GTA4 again. Can't do that on PS5.

Overall, these days all my gaing is on Series X and my PS5 is just used for exclusive. Just whish I could get a good silent Xbox controller.

Maybe go try a few 3rd party ones in Smyths or GameStop or CEX. CEX might be a good idea since everything is unpacked and second hand anyway, so the shop assistant won't care if you handle them. Not sure I'd buy there unless the second hand price is way lower than new.

Or Google or ask on Reddit Xbox forum.

Also, I think some official controllers are less clicky than others. Mine is pretty quiet but I got a a wired 8bitdo one for softer buttons. And it's quiet.

As they say, your mileage may vary.

Does anyone know if Amazon codes work here? Ireland is included in the compatible countries list but I have a feeling they'll send a UK code.

Looks like the physical edition is the same price ??? I.e. no discounts on either

• Advertisement

It's not on sale (I haven't seen it on sale anywhere). I just have an Amazon voucher I want to use.

Advertisement