Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Code should work as for MS codes they are global excluding gift codes, but as stated the price is poor.

Gift codes are country/region specific and are generated on xbox.com. Any gift code in an EU region will work in all EU countries, the UK is a separate region though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,520 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Hi, if I buy Xbox dlc from Amazon Germany will it work in Ireland or is it region locked ? Also on Amazon UK, but I would imagine EU is a better bet. It's for a physical copy of AC Valhalla. The season pass is half price and I only got this game a while back (for cheap) for the Ireland expansion. 🤪

Check what region it is. Germany is EU same as Ireland but male sure to confirm that is the region they're selling you.

Btw you can redeem codes from any region using a vpn. Vpn to the region and redeem the code via https://redeem.microsoft.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I have an Xbox one that I picked up a couple of years ago on a bargain alert. I have gamepass too and am a casual gamer. Just wondering if the Xbox series s deal in Smyth's is a noticeable jump?

Absolutely yes. I am a huge fan of the Series S. You will not get the top graphics or fps, but what you get for the price is absolutely fantastic.

A couple of.things to consider, you will run out of space. I don't know anyone who has an S who has not run out of space. But if you dont play many games at the same time and are happy to uninstall and reinstall to swap around then it's not a problem. But if you do need more space the expansion card is so expensive that you are actually better off trading the S in for an X. You get 1tb storage and the performance boost.

Another thing, games are going to get more and more graphically enhanced as this gen evolves. I'd be concerned about the S performance when Unreal Engine 5 games hit the shelves. As was the case last gen with the One S, games will eventually start to suffer on it. But not a concern if you are happy with 1080p/30fps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Just an FYI for anyone who 'goes on holiday' to buy games, it may be coming to an end in some countries as MS have clamped down the ability to get keys from Argentina and Turkey I believe.

Post edited by DeSelby83 on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Any article or post about this as I'm not seeing anything myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,913 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Trying to think of a couple of games to get my 17 year old for Xmas. We have gamepass so every game I think might be an idea is already on there. Any good games not likely to ever appear on gamepass I could consider. He's not really into sport or driving games, but he plays almost everything else. Any ideas?

Edit: Thanks in advance.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭padair

What kind of games does he like?

• Advertisement

He plays a lot of different kinds of games. Rainbow six siege, persona 5, overwatch, those free to play mmo, rocket league, terraria, Witcher 3, rdr, etc. Watchdogs, Cupheads, that one with the laser spiders! (Pokémon and Zelda botw, triangle strategy on Switch). Never really seen him play CoD.

If it's a good game regardless of genre I think he'd give it a go. I did sort of float the idea of the series S, but I think he wants to save up for the X, my budget doesn't stretch to it unfortunately, and having a couple of things to unwrap would be nice anyway, as well as a few Bob toward the X.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I discovered today that I have way more Microsoft credit than I expected, and €50 apparently expires in January. As such, I need suggestions of games to buy. I already have gpu. I could get something on pc or xbox, I don't go much for multi player games, so something single player focused.

I was thinking of assassins creed valhalla to be able to go visit old Ireland, but not sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭padair

A new controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭recyclops

Maybe preorder calisto or evil dead both look good

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭katkev

I see Microsoft are selling the Series S for 255 on the Irish site and for 230 in the rest of Europe, what a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Anyone using Developer Mode App on Xbox One? Is it worth getting?

How is the "normal" XBox user supposed to know a game has FPS boost to 60 FPS ???

And the option is hidden away in a dumb non obvious place.

When the XBox launces the game, and it supports FPS boost, it should give the user the option of setting it then.

I bet there are a ton of people running games in 30 FPS on Series consoles when they could be running 60 or even 120 FPS.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yeah, it could be handled better. It is automatically turned on for games that remain at the same resolution. For games that drop resolution to hit 60fps, then it's an option. It's a difficult one as you want the OS to be out of the way as much as possible, but there should be some way of easily knowing if it's available or not.

Spare a thought for PS5 users though, a whole load of them are still playing the PS4 version of PS5 games. Bungie recently announced that a notable proportion are still running the PS4 version of Destiny 2, despite the PS5 version being better in every way.

Yeah, it's excellent on XBox if you know about it !

I'm playing Farcry 5 on GamePass and the difference is night and day between 60 and 30 FPS. But I had to Google if it was supported and also had to Google to remind myself how to turn it on. Not sure if it's me or the TV or the Xbox or the specific game , but I can't play 30 FPS without feeling sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

You have to turn it on? 🤔

How do we do this? Thought FPS boost was automatic?

• Advertisement

Yes. Goto the manage game option. There is a tick box. You have to tick it or your games are like 2014. Google it.

Farcry 5 is lovely at 60 FPS especially the vehicles.

But I just don't like first person shooters. They are all Doom to me. And the Xbox library is full of them.

Might get back to Farcry 5 though, it's certainly way more interesting than Halo Zzz.

I am lost, I thought RL was 120 fps, but my options are greyed out! Any thoughts Bowser? 😁

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

FPS Boost is only for Xbox/360/One games that have not been upgraded to a series version. You can tell if it's got a series version by the icon in the bottom left corner of the tile.

Rocket League definitely has its own X/S, so that's why those options are greyed out. Note that you'll need to set the Xbox itself to 120 FPS to get that frame rate, which you can do in the settings

Also TV needs to support 120 FPS

Also you get auto HDR support on some of these titles.

But you'll need the TV / monitor for it.

Ah yes, I've all that done thanks!

I panicked and didn't realise that native games would not need compatibility options!

In my defense, it was nearly 3am and I was out since 3pm the day before at a staff party 😆

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭wassie

A couple of.things to consider, you will run out of space. I don't know anyone who has an S who has not run out of space. But if you dont play many games at the same time and are happy to uninstall and reinstall to swap around then it's not a problem. But if you do need more space the expansion card is so expensive that you are actually better off trading the S in for an X. You get 1tb storage and the performance boost

Couldnt agree with this post more.

Picked up the Series S for €229 at Smyths during the Black Friday sale. I was happy to game with lower performance as I mostly will use GPU. But couldnt help myself and got MW2 only to find it needs 130GB (of available 364GB). I briefly considered getting the segate 1TB expansion card on sale for £189 (€219) off Amazon. Total system cost would have been €448.

Luckily hadnt opened the Series S and took it back to exchange for a Series X on sale at €480. So for additional €32 I get a massive performance boost. Storage would be lower storage than the S with 1TB expansion pass, but with 800GB available shoudnt be an issue.

For those that play Halo they just dropped The Pit remake and the custom game browser for Forge and a few other bits

Anyone ever had their Xbox One just lose sync with all their controllers? My son's One S keeps losing sync. We unplug the Xbox from power for a couple of minutes then it's all good again for another day or two, then same happens again. Everything is up to date, controllers have new batteries or the Elite is fully charged.

• Advertisement

Decided to run down the backlog and stick with GamePass. No more buying games unless it's really something I think I'd play a long time and it's cheap.

So, dipping in and out of GP to see what games I'll invest time in.

Mass Effect Legendary Edition. Just on the first game. Like it a lot. Great atmosphere, characters, story. 60 FPS 4K HDR. Nice. And the 2nd one is supposed to be miles better.

Fallout 4. Haven't played any fallout games. This is good far. Again, great atmosphere. It's definitely got the Skyrim feels for me. Love the music. 60 FPS boost too. At 1080p. Now I believe there is a 4K 60 FPS mod.. but unstable ... I'll spend sometime on this game and dig in again when the official next gen upgrade comes out.

FarCry 5. Nah, don't like killing animals with machine guns. Even if it's 60 FPS. First person shooters like this leave me cold. Maybe there is more to it. Also I hate some guy constantly telling me what to do next. Reminds me of the Forza Horizon games.

Lego Star Wars. Will give this a spin this weekend.

Edit

Ha ha went back to FarCry 5. Got a pet mountain lion now. It's a very smooth beautiful looking game at 60 FPS. Funny as well in places. Also, easy to drop in and out of.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

Advertisement